Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Patch v1.07 Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard has posted the preliminary notes for the next Diablo 3 patch. Among the changes incoming are the inclusion of a dueling ground, additional experience gains in Inferno level and new recipes for account-bound items.

We believe that Diablo shines when you can spend the majority of your time slaughtering hordes of enemies and then having that punctuated by the occasional difficulty spike either in the form of a particularly challenging set of normal monsters (like an elite pack) or a boss. With that in mind, what we want to do with Monster Power is set the reward so that there are incentives for playing at a higher level, but not make the incentives so powerful that players feel like they need to make the game less enjoyable in order to achieve a faster reward rate.

Read the full patch notes on the Diablo 3 community site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Path of Exile makes this game look like Pong. I'm just not interested in the diablo games anymore.
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Looks a fairly minor patch but the move towards BOA crafted gear is interesting.

A bit of a departure from the normal Diablo loot model but I like that the best gear will no longer available from the AH.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    Path of Exile makes this game look like Pong. I'm just not interested in the diablo games anymore.

I participated in PoE beta...dont get your hopes too high, DAD

I'm in the beta too, and PoE beats D3 in everything but graphics.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

How long ago, though? I think the game looks and plays great.

• motoratonmotoraton Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Mmm so preview 1.07 mmm after all u read they dont tell  u realy nothing ----___---- im sick of wait. i hope PoE will kick D3 AsS is only my opinion ^^ ( the real ppl who like the ARPGs know the graphics dont make the game good ) 

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

PoE? /yawn.

NEXT!

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

''One of the most common requests we get from players is that they'd like to find more items (through drops or crafting) that are as awesome as those that they can get from the Auction House. The Auction House has its advantages: you get to pick the exact stats that you want, it can be thrilling to find a bargain, and if you find a cool drop that your character can't use, the Auction House provides a way to earn gold to put toward an item you prefer. But it has some downsides. The biggest downside is that some players find it more rewarding to collect items from slain monsters or crafting.''

Hmm, I remember a guy suggesting something like this many months ago....

Ahh yes, fast forward to 3:15...

• poupaspoupas Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Nice patch.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

D3 was good enough to get my Diablo fix from. Better than D2 personally, but I think the replayability on D2 was higher because the MMO market was so small back then. The idea of playing the same maps over and over to get loot didnt seem bad.

Now we are too spoiled by a vast market of full persistant MMORPGs out there and playing an CORPG like its an MMO feels silly. Thats just my opinion though.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Looks good.

Thing is Path of Exile Beta hits on the 23rd

Shortly after Marvel Heroes releases and then Grim Dawn.

let's not forget that Torchlight II mod tools release this year as well.

Just not seeing how some dueling and the crafting of account bound rares are going to pull me from those other games.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Happy with almost everything changed there. EXCEPT.. I don't like this move towards account bound items. Like the AH or not.. it's a very VERY good reason for continued play. I don't mean the real money AH, I mean the Gold. If TL2 and PoE had auction houses, they'd be my goto game. Sure, it's dumb to be able to get better items off other players easier than in the game (which is slowly improving anyway).. but now that I already have top quality stuff I have a reason to keep playing; to sell to others.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

D3 was good enough to get my Diablo fix from. Better than D2 personally, but I think the replayability on D2 was higher because the MMO market was so small back then. The idea of playing the same maps over and over to get loot didnt seem bad.

I've thought this for a while now, and it tends to explain why T2 landed with a thud and likely PotE will have the same (likely worse) fate.

Basically everyone remembers the good ol' days of D2 without really thinking about how much the gaming universe and gamer expectations have changed since then.

I suspect that if D2 (or any number of old classics) came out today, especially in its original form, it would be savaged worse than D3 has been.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Nice changes/additions, dualing sound better than I iniltialy thought, being able to have 4 player FFA's sounds like fun - I might just install D3 when this goes live, I have missed a lot of the new additions this last 5 months or so.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Nice patch. I still think they should let us have 8 player duels... Four players feels too few. Also how do you create a "dueling" game? Don't tell me you just have to ask people to join. Hope there is a special "quest" option which is just for dueling.

I know D3 is not as good as D2 but TL2 and POE are horrible games. I barely got my money's worth of TL2 and it was only 15 pounds!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

I was in the first wave a beta invites over a year ago and then it seemed kinda slow and clunky.  Haven't really tried it since then.  D3 wasn't all that great either but it felt fluid

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    "The biggest downside is that some players find it more rewarding to collect items from slain monsters or crafting.'' Written by the people who implemented the RMAH...
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Gorwe

Hardcore mode is good, yes? Unchanged from D2?

If you mean that when you die, that character is gone forever then, yes, it is unchanged.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I'll be playing this and Path of Exile alot this year. Waiting for Grim Dawn!
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Meh I thought path of exile was a far better game than diablo 3 was, better gameplay, and such. D3 feel like a world of warcraftified diablo game, and that killed it for me.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• mistersalty1mistersalty1 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    That sounds awesome! Now if only they added more crafting options to the leveling experience(idk Runes or combined Jewels or items that are not so random as currently)...

Blizz is doing good things with D3. 1.07 was the dealbreaker for me if I should buy it or not. It seems I will(YAY!).

I haven't played TL, but I did PoE. It felt...strange. Animations and effects are stiff and boring(sure the loot is a bit better, but that does not replace the borefest that PoE is. I can't even feel how powerful my Hero is).

Hardcore mode is good, yes? Unchanged from D2?

prepare to be extremely disappointed with d3

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Can't believe people are still playing this game.
  • Xion1985Xion1985 Member UncommonPosts: 229

I played the PoE beta about 3 months after it went into beta and wasn't impressed at all, not that I think D3 is terribly impressive.  I get that PoE's loot is miles better than diablo 3's.  The gameplay feels like claymation, the animations aren't smooth at all, diablo 3 to me beats PoE out in game play.  I really want to try TL2, just haven't had a chance yet.

I play D3 once in a while, but I try to avoid the item grind because frankly the item progression is WoW, the character builds are pretty much non-existant as well.  I still find it so strange that D2 had a better loot system and character diversity than D3 does...

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Dimsum1337
    Can't believe people are still playing this game.

I can't believe people still care that people are still playing this game...and having fun.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Foncl
    "The biggest downside is that some players find it more rewarding to collect items from slain monsters or crafting.'' Written by the people who implemented the RMAH...

RMAH never bothered me since I would never buy from it but the normal AH did. 

Two options at the moment, take the easy AH way or play with one hand tied behind your back. They got the balance wrong (and the players let them know it). Hopefully this is a start towards addressing it.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I'm going to give POE one last chance before I gve up on it.  Open Beta will be that time.

I occasionally watch Kripparrian videos of POE and it still looks very plastic to me.  The mobs all tend to blend in with the background as well.  The upper level skills do look more interesting than the horribly boring ones at the beginning.

POE will never compete with D3 in terms of actual combat and art design.  Never, ever.  The lead designers don't really understand art design and don't have the team to polish combat.

It's far better than TL2 and is worth trying.  It will forever be a niche game imo though.