Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stress Test Tomorrow!

1235»

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

yeah the part about 'due to having a sub etc' was sort of non-serious.  Still could be they are just letting certain people get past loading screen at all.  I've logged in over and over the whole time. 

Maybe their stuff is just broke, but that's very un-trion like, they tend to have their stuff together, Rift had a very smooth beta and launch.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by adam_nox

yeah the part about 'due to having a sub etc' was sort of non-serious.  Still could be they are just letting certain people get past loading screen at all.  I've logged in over and over the whole time. 

Maybe their stuff is just broke, but that's very un-trion like, they tend to have their stuff together, Rift had a very smooth beta and launch.

Once again.......this isn't launch or even beta. This is a stress test on their login server primarily.

• NoobalurtNoobalurt Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Looks like they have taken the servers down.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    got to play about 15 min actual ingame time... sadly not impressed at all... will give it more of a chance next weekend though/

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NoobalurtNoobalurt Member UncommonPosts: 14
    servers are back up, and i'm online in game now!
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I haven't been in the stress test myself, but watched a stream.

It looked ok to me, if you are into sci-fi themed games. I thought that the world in general looked better than anything in Storm Legion, which is quite a shame.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111

it's not bad, I actually got to play for a solid 45 mins. Did most of the tutorial and particpated in 3 pvp matches. The whole time I kept thinking I was playing Gears of War because of the camera perspective - but that might just be me. PVP was standard 8v8 match TDM, nothing new or exciting yet (mainly because we don't have the Ego powers unlocked) but we'll see how it plays out. 

Game is def gonna appeal mainly to FPS fans, MMO fans not so much...think Firefall.

Side note: the alien race is ugly as ****.  Looks like some fugly race straight from Star Trek. Guess it fits with the typical "look" the ScyFy channel goes with nowadays tho.

• TigersightTigersight Member Posts: 4
    All-told, that was awesome. I'm looking forward to next week sooo much now. :3
  • TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
     Played it and man it reminds me of Tabula rasa. In a very good way! the UI made so much sense. Very impressed so far.
  • lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

Do they have any plans for first or normal third person view? The over the shoulder is going to take a while for me to get used to.

The stress test was 10x better than most open betas I have been in. They have done a great job so far.

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

Not sure if it's a true fps or will have pvp, but I hate the scrunched up viewing angle that fps games have.  I hope there's an option to reduce that.  Also it needs a windowed fullscreen mode.

the controls lack the snappy response that an fps needs, and felt slugish.  Not by mmo standards, but mmo standards aren't going to cut it with this game.

Oh and the stuff with 'i'm so sorry' hologram was tacky and if the TV show is anything like that it's going to fail hard.

Besides these issues, I think the game has potential, and I can't write it off.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Not sure if it's a true fps or will have pvp

it is.  

as several people mentioned earlier in the thread, they played both instanced and open world PVP during the stress test.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by DMKano

I've been playing for while - awesome smooth engine, I am loving it, this is 10x better than what I played at PAX.

Hit U, matchmaking - then select Shadowar for Open world PvP.

Not a big fan of the UI - but that's the stuff that can get fixed, the engine is SOLID, and that's what really matters in a shooter IMO. Sniper is pixel perfect shooting, I was able to get a headshot on another player at max range - so at least Trion was telling the truth there.

I can't tell you how annoying that was in Firefall - which is NOT a pixel perfect shooter and it shows, line up a headshoot with 100% acccuracy and .. hit air.. .yeah Firefall fail 

Thumbs up so far, can't wait to see the "meat" of the game.

yes indeed.  it was so buttery smooth, and i didn't turn down the graphics at all.  very noticeable jump in smoothness when i turned down the res to 1440x900@75hz (versus 60hz for my max res of 1920x1080).   so it was running well over 60 FPS.  and i have a Phenom II quad core & GeForce 8800GT.  so my system is far from current.

what little of the world that i saw looks great.

the movement/physics and everything i played with felt great.  

my only disappointment so far is lack of player to player (and player vehicle) collision.  might be better for PVP, and of course it solves a lot of griefing problems and bugs, but its less immersive for virtual world games.   seeing people running right thru each other, and thru each others vehicles.

this was already at the top of my list of imminent MMOs.   now i want it even more!

Corpus Callosum    

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by corpusc

I've been playing for while - awesome smooth engine, I am loving it, this is 10x better than what I played at PAX.

Hit U, matchmaking - then select Shadowar for Open world PvP.

Not a big fan of the UI - but that's the stuff that can get fixed, the engine is SOLID, and that's what really matters in a shooter IMO. Sniper is pixel perfect shooting, I was able to get a headshot on another player at max range - so at least Trion was telling the truth there.

I can't tell you how annoying that was in Firefall - which is NOT a pixel perfect shooter and it shows, line up a headshoot with 100% acccuracy and .. hit air.. .yeah Firefall fail 

Thumbs up so far, can't wait to see the "meat" of the game.

yes indeed.  it was so buttery smooth, and i didn't turn down the graphics at all.  very noticeable jump in smoothness when i turned down the res to 1440x900@75hz (versus 60hz for my max res of 1920x1080).   so it was running well over 60 FPS.  and i have a Phenom II quad core & GeForce 8800GT.  so my system is far from current.

what little of the world that i saw looks great.

the movement/physics and everything i played with felt great.  

my only disappointment so far is lack of player to player (and player vehicle) collision.  might be better for PVP, and of course it solves a lot of griefing problems and bugs, but its less immersive for virtual world games.   seeing people running right thru each other, and thru each others vehicles.

this was already at the top of my list of imminent MMOs.   now i want it even more!

Yeah I agree with you about the lack of collision.,also character seems to jump unrealistically high and didnt seem to take any fall damage when jumping of off buildings and cliffs I could find.The atv as well didnt ,I was jumping it off off every cliff I could find lol was fun as well as doing doughnuts.

Overall I enjoyed this test alot and can not wait til next weekend.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    got to play about 15 min actual ingame time... sadly not impressed at all... will give it more of a chance next weekend though/

I had the same experience,

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162

We didn't even try and form a group since it was a stress test. We knew there would be disconnects and server restarts. You guys do realize that even last nights test was under NDA right?

Without giving details of the game, I enjoyed the hour or so that I was actually playing and running missions(quests). I got to try out about 6 different types of weapons.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    no i missed street test i today checked emails and see -.-
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Izik

Game is def gonna appeal mainly to FPS fans, MMO fans not so much...think Firefall.

Correct, this is an MMO Shooter not a MMORPG - Trion devs have been pretty clear about that in all of their interviews, it's an action game, not an RPG game.

However TON better done than Firefall in my opinion, and doesn't have the technical issues I mentioned in my post above.

Too bad the server was so stressed that it impacted the gameplay, but hey it was a stress test... so yeah, I am just selfish I know.

Still going back to the engine... whoever coded that, it's amazing. Huge win there.

The question is, why would one play Defiance over PS2?  What does defiance bring that PS2 doesnt?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

The question is, why would one play Defiance over PS2?  What does defiance bring that PS2 doesnt?

defiance is more of a traditional MMO with questing, story and such with PVP maps.. so people who want a third person shooter mixed with more traditional MMO elements may like defiance.. although after my very brief playtime I was left extremely underwhelmed.. we shall see how the full beta weekend goes to see if I keep my pre-order.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

it is.  

as several people mentioned earlier in the thread, they played both instanced and open world PVP during the stress test.

What I mean by true fps is a game where headshots matter, or aiming is all manual or if there's to-hit calculations involved.  I couldn't tell that headshots were doing any extra damage, but it didn't show me damage numbers either.

Still don't like the viewing angle.  I think it's unnecessary in a third person shooter.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

it is.  

What I mean by true fps is a game where headshots matter, or aiming is all manual or if there's to-hit calculations involved.  I couldn't tell that headshots were doing any extra damage, but it didn't show me damage numbers either.

Still don't like the viewing angle.  I think it's unnecessary in a third person shooter.

Damage number are turned off by default. They are mostly distracting and not conducive to getting lost in the game.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Izik

Correct, this is an MMO Shooter not a MMORPG - Trion devs have been pretty clear about that in all of their interviews, it's an action game, not an RPG game.

However TON better done than Firefall in my opinion, and doesn't have the technical issues I mentioned in my post above.

Too bad the server was so stressed that it impacted the gameplay, but hey it was a stress test... so yeah, I am just selfish I know.

Still going back to the engine... whoever coded that, it's amazing. Huge win there.

everything except massive #'s of players.  that's the only thing PS2 has going for it from an MMO perspective.  other than that its just a typical FPS game with the player count turned up.

Corpus Callosum    

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I gotta say the art work looks pretty underwhelming as well. Wasn't impressed with that but that is all I really got to see so far.
  • CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    They made this test USA exclusive by setting EU start time at 3 AM I was too sleepy couldn't wait... that was asshole move by devteam.