Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Tera great?

CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

I have just downloaded the trial and am patching up using that awful Happy Cloud thing!  Currently I am only level 3 after completing that level 20 tutorial on the Island and I know's it probably that I need to level more and get off the initial begineer zone but what makes Tera so amazing?

I guess I want to be hooked in by the Tera addicts.   It does't seem any different to any other generic mmo atm (I know, I know I, have only just started ) and when I get home from work tonight I will give it another try.  Even the gfx aren't particulary amazing I thought they were supposed to be awesome. (I am running it totally maxed out)

Please listen though I am NOT trolling just trying to get an understanding of the game from the best people to ask :)

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

Comments

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Tera isn't "great". Lets get that out of the way :)

However, it's good.

The combat is pretty good. It's unique as far as MMO's go due to some quirks, and the "no targetting" of course. Ranged classes still get some targetting spells, however you need to aim to obtain the target, so it still counts :)

Virtually every attack can only be made when standing still. There is a constant consideration to make: Do you get out of harms way, do you get into a better position or do you attack now? This makes the combat a lot more tactical than in other MMO's, where the positional play usually comes from 'fire' (highlighted areas on the floor you need to move out of). It's similar, but different enough to feel very fresh.

The world design is a bit... Strange. The world is divided in 3 seamless parts: The newbie zone and east and west continents. Between those however there's no real loading screens. The game makes use of UE3's streaming feature, you fly into a portal through 'warp space', exiting on the other side without a loading screen. You could compare this with Mass Effect's elevators.

The zone design itself is beautiful, but psychedelic. However, in most places it's still very 'Korean', flat surfaces with very little variation. The dressing is good, but there's very little real variation in how you move through them. Zone transitions also seem to be binary, one moment you're in one theme and the other you're in the next.

The questing is boring, or at least, the quests themselves are. Virtually all quests are 'kill' quests, with barely any exceptions. The combat makes up for this lack in variety though.

To make long things a bit shorter: Tera is a game for you if you a) like the combat and b) like the visuals. Other than those 2, the game is average at best.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz

The combat is pretty good. It's unique as far as MMO's go due to some quirks, and the "no targetting" of course. Ranged classes still get some targetting spells, however you need to aim to obtain the target, so it still counts :)

See I hear this a lot and I just don't get it, is it good because it has shooter-esque targetting? I find the combat really clunky and not fun at all.  TSW and GW2 on the other hand, while being hybrid tab target and aimed, feel far more interesting and well paced.

I guess it just comes down to personal taste. But I just fail to see what is great or even good about TERA as well.

Its a shame too, because it probably has the best races out of all the games I have played.  

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I played it for a few months and just recently unsubbed. Sorry to say but TERA is not great...

It is as generic ThemePark as you can get and it is very linear as you level up. Also the classes are very rigid with very little room for customization.

No what makes TERA playable is the combat, which is top notch and probably the best I have seen in an MMO. It can get a bit too slow at times due to the mobs being slow but that changes as you start to hit mid-high levels. 

Also the mobs are very awesome looking, take a look at a blog post I did to see just some of them: http://taleofmmos.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/mobs-of-tera-best-looking-ever.html

Finally the GFX is among the best, if not the best of any MMO: http://taleofmmos.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/beauty-of-tera.html

However beside those three, there isn't much to it. The open world PvP is completely neglected and rarely occurs beside the occasional gank and the low-mid levels are barren but maybe that will change with this F2P thing. So keep this in mind when playing it.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i wouldn't describe it as 'great'.  it's a decent game.  i'd describe it as "a better than average run of the mill themepark mmo".  what makes it better than average?  the combat.
  • CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114

It is unfortunate but the Slayer and Warrior combat was done so well imho that it has ruined my experience with all other MMORPGs. I use to be able to level for hours, grind endlessly, whatever it took to level up. After playing a slayer and a warrior in Tera I can no longer tolerate fighting mobs in any mmorpg for more than an hour at a time.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I absolutely love teh combat. and I love the pvp (though unfortunatley because of friends, i'm behind on my pvp server character and at cap with my pve character).

For me it's a very fun game. I LOVE tanking in this game. I actually go out and fight top level BAMS (big ass monsters) solo with my lancer, even though the fights take a while becuase I love the combat so much. I just love the immediacy of it over what I have experience with tab target games.

I usually don't do quests so the kill x quests in Tera are no big deal as I just go out and kill my quota and then just stay and level a bit. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

The only good thing about this game is the combat. I love going in dungeons and killing stuff.

I don't like how its SUPER LINEAR...with that being said, you out level or finish all the quests in one area then there's no reason to ever come back to that area again.

One you past the beginner area and fly into Velika, that flight alone was amazing. Once you fly towards the castle ahead of you, you'll notice just how HUGE it is. But then you'll be let down once you land, realizing just how small the castle is when you can travel around. The world is not as big as you think it'll be.

Armors and Weapons...You're constantly having to upgrade every 4-5 levels or so. So say you're doing dungeon runs for a set of armor and weapon. When you've finally been able to get them, you'll probably only going to use them for another 2 or 3 levels and then you're at it again in another dungeon. It seriously kills the worth of spending time acquiring them, also the money it costs to enchant them. They do have a good variety of armors and weapons, most of them have same stats, some different. But the only purpose of having that kind of variety is to change the look on your avatar.

Classes...A healer is definitely a must have for running dungeons. Then all you'll need is 1 lancer and all berserkers. That's just from my stand point. I'm playing the archer class, and all I have to say is, save me some kills? I'm playing with my brothers and nephews and they all play melee classes and 1 healer. So what they do is go and aggro everything bring them to the berserkers and in 2 skills they all die, and the monsters with more HP lasts a few more hits later. Being ranged I get maybe 1 shot in and then after that I'm chasing to keep up with the melees to get to the next group of targets only to get there late and they've already been all killed. Same goes for the healer in the group. He's running next to me and don't even get to cast a heal spell on the players and they're already running towards the next group of monsters. Melee classes have an amazing amount of dps.

Chat...Let's just say...it doesn't take more than 10 mins after logging in to hear people calling each other pedofiles...

I'm only on a trial account, so I'm stuck with being capped at level 28. But it really doesn't seem like I'll be playing it long term. I've tried playing a different class but cannot bring myself to do the same grind again. My 2 nephews basically made 3 or 4 trial accounts just to try out all the classes and they're quite into the game, but its not something I can log in everyday  to play.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by csthao

The only good thing about this game is the combat. I love going in dungeons and killing stuff.

I don't like how its SUPER LINEAR...with that being said, you out level or finish all the quests in one area then there's no reason to ever come back to that area again.

One you past the beginner area and fly into Velika, that flight alone was amazing. Once you fly towards the castle ahead of you, you'll notice just how HUGE it is. But then you'll be let down once you land, realizing just how small the castle is when you can travel around. The world is not as big as you think it'll be.

Armors and Weapons...You're constantly having to upgrade every 4-5 levels or so. So say you're doing dungeon runs for a set of armor and weapon. When you've finally been able to get them, you'll probably only going to use them for another 2 or 3 levels and then you're at it again in another dungeon. It seriously kills the worth of spending time acquiring them, also the money it costs to enchant them. They do have a good variety of armors and weapons, most of them have same stats, some different. But the only purpose of having that kind of variety is to change the look on your avatar.

Classes...A healer is definitely a must have for running dungeons. Then all you'll need is 1 lancer and all berserkers. That's just from my stand point. I'm playing the archer class, and all I have to say is, save me some kills? I'm playing with my brothers and nephews and they all play melee classes and 1 healer. So what they do is go and aggro everything bring them to the berserkers and in 2 skills they all die, and the monsters with more HP lasts a few more hits later. Being ranged I get maybe 1 shot in and then after that I'm chasing to keep up with the melees to get to the next group of targets only to get there late and they've already been all killed. Same goes for the healer in the group. He's running next to me and don't even get to cast a heal spell on the players and they're already running towards the next group of monsters. Melee classes have an amazing amount of dps.

Chat...Let's just say...it doesn't take more than 10 mins after logging in to hear people calling each other pedofiles...

I'm only on a trial account, so I'm stuck with being capped at level 28. But it really doesn't seem like I'll be playing it long term. I've tried playing a different class but cannot bring myself to do the same grind again. My 2 nephews basically made 3 or 4 trial accounts just to try out all the classes and they're quite into the game, but its not something I can log in everyday  to play.

I'm just gonna say . . .  each class at level 20 is nothing like they are at 40 then at 60.  They evolve as they achieve new skills and combat becomes far more unforgiving at higher levels.  I'm just gonna say I understand where you're coming from with "let me get a shot in" at low levels. 

I'll just say it's not quite like that at higher levels. 

Just play whatever strikes your fancy once F2P goes down and level cap gets lifted from the trial and you don't feel any pressure.

Also about Velika (and other capital cities and their adjacent areas.  The game has the setup for the coming content: In Korea the sieges and engines outside the cities will fill those spaces. 

Anyone remember the area of Silithus when WoW launched?

Oh hey, while we're talking about armor - is there any better looking armor ever?  Amani male leather/cloth?