Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF?!?!?! NO!!!!!

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by kertin

Wow, Onomas is so huge troll, its obvious.Dear Onomas, your f2p restrictions you mentioned are for discovery edition (Its f2p model which wont be available in February 2013 because Tera goes absolutely f2p), you are really amazing guy and your informations are so brilliant man.And now seriously, here we have true f2p restrictions and different account types and how can you see f2p Tera will have one of the best models on the market if not the best together with Aion.http://support.enmasse.com/tera/tera-rising-play-for-free#What_are_the_different_account_tiers?

A troll would not have spent the time to correct theirself. As I did 3 posts later with the link and correction. Thank you for the personal attack perhaps you should have spent your time better by reading further.

And you just violated the forum rules a few times in your post, may wish to edit your post. Mods love to suspended people here lol.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by sapphen
      The differences between MMO player's preferences (how they want to play the game) is not effected by how they want to pay for it.

Of course it is.  Younger players and older players have different tastes.  Younger players are extremely more likely to do f2p than older.  yes, this generalization and of course doesnt mean 'older players dont f2p'.  but generally a person in their 30s isnt petty about 'I like this game but i think 15 is too much'.   

Now where f2p can help is gettng more people to try your game, because any person is more likely to try if there is no cost involved.  but that doesnt help as much in weaker games like TERA, especially with 1-10 being quite poor.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Kain_Dale

Guess there is a new method for making new games: Game box with cd to sell for 60 bucks... then 1 year later make it go free 2 play with cash shop for more money.  

Company still thinks greed > fun which is really sad.

I don't belive they are a non-profit organization so what else would they put first? Fun doesn'y pay the bills.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Of course it is.  Younger players and older players have different tastes.  Younger players are extremely more likely to do f2p than older.  yes, this generalization and of course doesnt mean 'older players dont f2p'.  but generally a person in their 30s isnt petty about 'I like this game but i think 15 is too much'.   

Now where f2p can help is gettng more people to try your game, because any person is more likely to try if there is no cost involved.  but that doesnt help as much in weaker games like TERA, especially with 1-10 being quite poor.

Not sure I can agree with you.  Like you said, free2play is like a trial in a lot of ways allowing people to try the game to see if they like it.  After that it's the game's gameplay and design that decides who continues to play it.

Quote from 2/11/2011:  http://jeffhurtblog.com/2011/02/21/why-online-games-will-change-work-events/

The median age of an MMO player is 33, as compared to the median age of the general population, 35. People in their thirties make up the largest concentration of players, six times larger than the number of teens and three times the number of college students between 18 and 22. The average age for all online game players is 35 with 26% older than 50. 60% of the most active MMO players are female avatars who might or might not be women. (Data from Total Engagement)

If the younger people are playing then according to this their impact still isn't that large.  Most of what you are saying is heresay.

We don't know what people in their 30's are generally thinking.  We are hitting some hard economic times, money isn't something you toss around and not question a product's worth.  It also has to do with time investment:  If someone can only play 3-4 hours a week it may not be worth 15 bucks to them compared to the people putting in 30-40 hours a week.

Quote from 2/11/2011:  http://jeffhurtblog.com/2011/02/21/why-online-games-will-change-work-events/

The median age of an MMO player is 33, as compared to the median age of the general population, 35. People in their thirties make up the largest concentration of players, six times larger than the number of teens and three times the number of college students between 18 and 22. The average age for all online game players is 35 with 26% older than 50. 60% of the most active MMO players are female avatars who might or might not be women. (Data from Total Engagement)

If the younger people are playing then according to this their impact still isn't that large.  Most of what you are saying is heresay.

We don't know what people in their 30's are generally thinking.  We are hitting some hard economic times, money isn't something you toss around and not question a product's worth.  It also has to do with time investment:  If someone can only play 3-4 hours a week it may not be worth 15 bucks to them compared to the people putting in 30-40 hours a week.

Inexpensive entertainment products do well in tough economic times.  2012 was a record year for movies.  And the cost of going to see a movie is comparable to price of a one month MMORPG subscription.  And movies are only 1.5-2.5 hours of entertainment.  Citing the economy in a topic like this is just silly.  

And while we can only speculate their reasoning, we do know that older people tend to f2p less than younger people.  Its not that hard to see this is true if you spend a lot of time in games with a mix of both models.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

OP - "wasn't playing much anymore......."

True for many players, hence the ftp change. No surprise really and no need for exclamation marks. If there was one game going this way it was Tera.

The only thing people where waiting for was how the ftp model would pan out.

Yeah dont see how this move shocks anyone......The p2p model is going to be less and less effective as we go on......I'm surprised Rift hasn't gone this route yet also but it has a bigger following.

• MalamasalaMalamasala Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Malamasala
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Onomas
    restrictions on there are almost as horrible as SWTOR. Was thinking of giving it another try, but whats the point when you are so limited in every way. Why i hate F2P games, just not worth it.

What are the limitations of the F2P? Do they restrict your ability bars? That still takes the cake for most nonsensical restriction I think.

The restrictions is your usual anti gold farmer design.

If you want to play for free, you only get 2 character slots. (Retarded, because it means you have to make 4 accounts to get 8 slots for free). You can only send 10 gold at a time (since they don't want gold selling transactions, and to prevent you from sending gold between your free accounts). 10 broker slots (again, so you don't make a lot of fast gold).

In most other senses it is the same as now. I think most of it except the character limit is OK. They are just shooting themselves in the foot with telling people to make multiple accounts instead of a single one for their characters. You can of course buy extra character slots, so I guess they simply wanted to make money. But the result is still that free2play people will make a ton of accounts.

2 slots PER SERVER - get real.

You are pretty poor at writing a sentence, so I'll just assume you attempted to claim that since it is 2 per server it is not a huge deal.

My point is that this is one of the more annoying types of convenience parts they are trying to sell you. To not have to log off accounts or play on multiple servers, you need to pay up. So your option is quit playing since you are bored at 2 classes, or pay up to make a new character. (Assuming you play with friends, without friends you can just change server)

It would make much more sense to try and hook people to keep playing, instead of give them choices between leaving or staying. More characters = Play longer = Higher chance at spending money or inviting a friend who pays money. It seems obvious to me, but apparently saving some 2 MBs memory on the server is worth the lost customers.

Inexpensive entertainment products do well in tough economic times.  2012 was a record year for movies.  And the cost of going to see a movie is comparable to price of a one month MMORPG subscription.  And movies are only 1.5-2.5 hours of entertainment.  Citing the economy in a topic like this is just silly.  

And while we can only speculate their reasoning, we do know that older people tend to f2p less than younger people.  Its not that hard to see this is true if you spend a lot of time in games with a mix of both models.

Citing movie sales and suggesting that older people don't care how they spend their money is just silly imo - along with this the direction of this conversation.  It's not the payment model's fault if the developer shifts their direction.  You would hope that they are competent enough not to redesign a game for the people who don't spend money on it.  Just because a game is going f2p that does not mean it's failed or the developers will suddently start making stupid decisions.

Citing movie sales and suggesting that older people don't care how they spend their money is just silly imo - along with this the direction of this conversation.  It's not the payment model's fault if the developer shifts their direction.  You would hope that they are competent enough not to redesign a game for the people who don't spend money on it.  Just because a game is going f2p that does not mean it's failed or the developers will suddently start making stupid decisions.

Its not that they dont care, if they dont like the game they will pay.  however they arent petty and say 'well, I am only getting $6.34 of enjoyment so forget it'.  

And the only reason games go f2p is to increase revenue, so the key is how to get the f2pers to pay.  So yes, they have to design the game around those who don't pay in order to get them to pay.  otherwise there is no reason to go f2p.

And while going f2p doesnt mean failure (although it does mean relatively low subs...LOTRO is the only game above 200k to go f2p but much of that 200k was lifetime subs), TERA *is* a failure.  

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by kertin

And now seriously, here we have true f2p restrictions and different account types and how can you see f2p Tera will have one of the best models on the market if not the best together with Aion.

Euh I think you don't really know what's in the Aion CS to says that its one of the best model on the market... Aion CS is full of pay to win items, such as some AP booster that works in PvP,  some equipements boost (not sure what they are),  various scrolls that boost your powers, some titles scroll that give you for example +2% attack speed, +5% running speed, and +4% flight speed for 15 days and so on. Tho, I'm not entirely sure they all work in PvP but I guess it is since some AP booster works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On topic, well I might give TERA a try since it will go F2P in February (even tho I'm still enjoying GW2 a lot), my friend was playing at release so we might play together, wouldn't try it if I was alone lol. I guess their chronoscrolls idea wasn't the best for a themepark MMO. It was great for us, the players, since we could play without ever subbing with real cash but I guess it wasn't profitable enough.

Its not that they dont care, if they dont like the game they will pay.  however they arent petty and say 'well, I am only getting $6.34 of enjoyment so forget it'.  

That statement has nothing to do with was I was saying.  The game could be decent but not worth $15 a month to some people.  Again this is basic "cost versus value".

And the only reason games go f2p is to increase revenue, so the key is how to get the f2pers to pay.  So yes, they have to design the game around those who don't pay in order to get them to pay.  otherwise there is no reason to go f2p.

Yes, it is to increase revenue.  The key to getting people to play is announce it's going free-to-play.  In a way they do have to design the game around the model; make a cash shop, create limations for freeplayers, etc. but many of these changes have little effect on subscribers.  In Tera's case subers got extra stuff like mounts, an unique title and cash shop items.

This is not enough for me to support your claim that f2p and p2p have completely different wants.  I think you are unfairly segergating the playerbase into improper stereotypes.  Without further information I think we're at the point to agree to disagree.

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    restrictions on there are almost as horrible as SWTOR. Was thinking of giving it another try, but whats the point when you are so limited in every way. Why i hate F2P games, just not worth it.

Problem being, they bash Swtor for a restriction that doesn't exist anymore, but they're no better. 

Cheap marketing shot, they have to be VERY carefull, restrictions tend to make a mmo more boring if not executed right, ticks off the whole community, as with Swtor( They have fixed allot of it though)

Now there's choice, and competition though : GW2 , Planetside 2 , TSW , SWTOR, Raiderz , all new, good Quality titles to contend with, SOON this market will be too saturated to sustain itself.

Unfortunately I think it's going to implode on itself, and if like me, people associated f2p with garbage, as if a game does not warrant a sub, or even a physical disc copy purchase, then what makes it good enough to play , then they're going to have a bad time.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Ok. I buy the game and don't sub I get 8 char slots and 288 bank slots, but the rest is restricted. I don't buy and I sub I can have only 2 char slots and if I want more have to purchase and only 72 bank slots with option to purchase. Hell even TOR is not that restrictive if you decide to sub. In ToR a sub unlocks everything and you don't have to make any type of purchase if you don't want to. But in TERA, unless you buy the game and not just switch from ftp to sub, you get screwed. Nice.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by RedMachine72
    Ok. I buy the game and don't sub I get 8 char slots and 288 bank slots, but the rest is restricted. I don't buy and I sub I can have only 2 char slots and if I want more have to purchase and only 72 bank slots with option to purchase. Hell even TOR is not that restrictive if you decide to sub. In ToR a sub unlocks everything and you don't have to make any type of purchase if you don't want to. But in TERA, unless you buy the game and not just switch from ftp to sub, you get screwed. Nice.

you can always buy the game later to changing to veteran/tera club. Why rage about being forced to spend 20 bucks on a game. Its not like as if you can play any other subscription game without buying the original package.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Guess there is a new method for making new games: Game box with cd to sell for 60 bucks... then 1 year later make it go free 2 play with cash shop for more money.  

I am curious to know what you think companies should do? Does it make sense to lose dollar after dollar? Would you throw cash out the window each day?

I see people complain that companies are "greedy", what are they supposed to do then?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Loved TERA, Hated the Grind. Will I play for free? hell yeah.

Best combat and most stunning graphics I have ever seen in any MMO. Looking forward to it.

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Onomas restrictions on there are almost as horrible as SWTOR. Was thinking of giving it another try, but whats the point when you are so limited in every way. Why i hate F2P games, just not worth it.
    What are the limitations of the F2P? Do they restrict your ability bars? That still takes the cake for most nonsensical restriction I think.  
    I was looking at their discovery edition restrictions. Not the same thing as F2P i guess.

You may only have 1 Discovery Edition on your En Masse account.

• Max level 28
    • 200g limit
    • Max gathering skill of 150
    • Max crafting skill of 100
    • 2 characters per serverChat restrictions:
      • Area chat
      • Global Chat
      • Trade Chat
      • Bargaining at the brokerage
      • Party search Whispers (you will be able to whisper to players on your friends list)Limits to: Bank. You cannot deposit gold into your bank. Parcel. You may not send parcel messages, but you may receive them. Friends List. You may not add people to your friends list, but other may add you to their friends list. If someone adds you to their friends list they will show up on your friends list. Whispers. You may only whisper your friends. Guild. You may not apply to or create a guild, but if invited, you may accept a guild invite. Trade Broker. You may not post items for sale, but you may purchase items.
      Other restrictions: No dueling, death matches, or battlegrounds. No trading. You may not transfer to another server.

The F2P stuff is here:

http://support.enmasse.com/tera/tera-rising-play-for-free

Which doesnt seem too bad. So i will probably give this another try. Didnt actualy get far into it.

Discovery edition will go away once the F2P hits.

There's 3 levels of accounts after Rising:

1) Free. You get pretty much everything current subscribers get, except for less bank slots and only 2 character slots.
    2) Buy the game. You get everything. No subscriptions afterwards.
    3) Subscription. You get everything plus a little extra. These things are all made out to max-level farmers and group players, with lower dungeon cooldowns and more dailies.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by RedMachine72

TOR is far more restrictive... You lose nothing in TERA when switching back to free, whereas in TOR you lose almost everything unless you've also bought it in the Cartel shop.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Slampig

I am curious to know what you think companies should do? Does it make sense to lose dollar after dollar? Would you throw cash out the window each day?

I see people complain that companies are "greedy", what are they supposed to do then?

Every time a company releases a game early with bugs, lack of content, lack of features, lack of longevity, lack of social interaction, making of a cookie cutter, chasing wow's success, bad mechanics, story driven only mmorpg, sloppy balance between pve-pvp-crafting-exploration, and anytime they have horrible combat design.................. yeah pretty much.

Yeah i know so many of you love the fast and easy ride that lasts 3 weeks then go to the next game. You think its cool and fun to play 20 games at one time (not directed at you but others that flame us gamers that like a real mmorpg). The fact is these styles of games being released in todays industry do not hold up. They are shallow and never last. Think of the major and even indie mmo's that have followed this path............. now out of the 300+ mmorpg's released this past few years.......how many survived and made true profits and wasnt forced to close down, sell their company, think f2p would save their game?

3?4?

The industry in in a rut, and they loose money each time. Yeah its greed and basicaly wasting time and money.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Slampig

Every time a company releases a game early with bugs, lack of content, lack of features, lack of longevity, lack of social interaction, making of a cookie cutter, chasing wow's success, bad mechanics, story driven only mmorpg, sloppy balance between pve-pvp-crafting-exploration, and anytime they have horrible combat design.................. yeah pretty much.

Yeah i know so many of you love the fast and easy ride that lasts 3 weeks then go to the next game. You think its cool and fun to play 20 games at one time (not directed at you but others that flame us gamers that like a real mmorpg). The fact is these styles of games being released in todays industry do not hold up. They are shallow and never last. Think of the major and even indie mmo's that have followed this path............. now out of the 300+ mmorpg's released this past few years.......how many survived and made true profits and wasnt forced to close down, sell their company, think f2p would save their game?

3?4?

The industry in in a rut, and they loose money each time. Yeah its greed and basicaly wasting time and money.

tbh they could have easily survived on the moneygain with the subscribers they had. In my opinion TERA always was supposed to be f2p but the devs first wanted to milk out everyone by releasing it as subsciption required.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

I was looking at their discovery edition restrictions. Not the same thing as F2P i guess.

• Max level 28
    • 200g limit
    • 2 characters per server

Chat restrictions:

• Area chat
    • Global Chat
    • Trade Chat
    • Party search
    • Whispers (you will be able to whisper to players on your friends list)

Limits to:

• Bank. You cannot deposit gold into your bank.
    • Parcel. You may not send parcel messages, but you may receive them.
    • Friends List. You may not add people to your friends list, but other may add you to their friends list. If someone adds you to their friends list they will show up on your friends list.
    • Whispers. You may only whisper your friends.
    • Guild. You may not apply to or create a guild, but if invited, you may accept a guild invite.
    • Trade Broker. You may not post items for sale, but you may purchase items.

Other restrictions:

• No dueling, death matches, or battlegrounds.
    • No trading.
    • You may not transfer to another server.

The F2P stuff is here:

Which doesnt seem too bad. So i will probably give this another try. Didnt actualy get far into it.

A level limit of 28? That is harsh.

I just had a look at the TERA europe Free to play comparisson chart, and there is no level limit and skill limit there.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by oafuape
    and this was suppose to be one of the games competing with GW2. Please can we get a moment of silence?......game didn't even last a year, amen.

This was *never* a game that had any chance it competing with GW2.  Its upside was 250k.  To expect more than 100k given how poorly L2 and Aion did in the west was just being optimistic.

Oh my I remember before Tera released, there were people popping up in the SWTOR forums, telling everyone how much Tera will kill all other MMOS. Afterwards came the people who told everyone how much GW2 will kill every other MMO . For lulz..

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TorgirTorgir Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by TalRasha

• Max level 28
    • 200g limit
    • 2 characters per server

Chat restrictions:

• Area chat
    • Global Chat
    • Trade Chat
    • Party search
    • Whispers (you will be able to whisper to players on your friends list)

Limits to:

• Bank. You cannot deposit gold into your bank.
    • Parcel. You may not send parcel messages, but you may receive them.
    • Friends List. You may not add people to your friends list, but other may add you to their friends list. If someone adds you to their friends list they will show up on your friends list.
    • Whispers. You may only whisper your friends.
    • Guild. You may not apply to or create a guild, but if invited, you may accept a guild invite.
    • Trade Broker. You may not post items for sale, but you may purchase items.

Other restrictions:

• No dueling, death matches, or battlegrounds.
    • No trading.
    • You may not transfer to another server.

The F2P stuff is here:

A level limit of 28? That is harsh.

I just had a look at the TERA europe Free to play comparisson chart, and there is no level limit and skill limit there.

That's the discovery (aka trial) edition limitation. When TERA goes f2p, there won't be a discovery edition anymore. US and EU f2p models are shockingy similiar, usually we EU people get shafted in the ass with some crappy version.

• arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129

Well the "f2p period till the REAL F2P" in EU is like this: do anything you want, you CANT.

Chat ( you can use ONLY party chat)

Use warehouse/trade

Invite friends

Challenge to duel/deathmatch

• Black-DogBlack-Dog Member Posts: 18
    worse thing is at this time waiting as trial to go f2p is you cant use the bank :D