Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to fix the problem of not being able to do low-mid level zones

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Its easy. And I suggested this before GW2 was released because I already knew what was going to happen from past MMO experiences. I got a lot of hate for it. Turns out, I was right and it would have solved the problem

Low level and mid level zones being absolutely dead, and everyone being at the high end of the game.

Guild Wars 1 had this problem too once you got out of the starter area.

HOWEVER...GW1 let you hire henchman and companions. This let you still experience the storyline and do dungeons, that you couldn't find a group at all (rarely) to do. 

Why did they remove henchman and companions? It would have solved the problem of people not being able to do their PERSONAL story. It would also have solved the problem of people having to skip entire content because there is no one around to help them do the dynamic events or anything.

GW1 did it, and it worked really well. If I couldn't find a group, I would get henchman and I could still progress through the game. Easy fix.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Its easy. And I suggested this before GW2 was released because I already knew what was going to happen from past MMO experiences. I got a lot of hate for it. Turns out, I was right and it would have solved the problem

Low level and mid level zones being absolutely dead, and everyone being at the high end of the game.

Guild Wars 1 had this problem too once you got out of the starter area.

HOWEVER...GW1 let you hire henchman and companions. This let you still experience the storyline and do dungeons, that you couldn't find a group at all (rarely) to do. 

Why did they remove henchman and companions? It would have solved the problem of people not being able to do their PERSONAL story. It would also have solved the problem of people having to skip entire content because there is no one around to help them do the dynamic events or anything.

GW1 did it, and it worked really well. If I couldn't find a group, I would get henchman and I could still progress through the game. Easy fix.

Personal story is 99% soloable, except the very last mission - Arah Story which is easy to find group.

As for henchmen to help you do the dynamic events, I don't have a strong opinion about that. I like heroes and henchmen in GW1, but I don't know how that would work in GW2..

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I willing to bet that it had/has to do with performance.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Most DE's are soloable (altough they can be a bit of a chore alone) PS are soloable except the very last one, I was ahead of the vast majority on launch and some beta's with no to very little people around me so i know, your title is false.

It is however indeed hard to find groups for any dungeon beside FotM but I think a global LFG tool (IE wow's) would be a much better solution. But if we are talking strictly dungeon story modes (which are only really meant to be done once anyway) then I'd agree an option to recruit some NPC's would be a good thing.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Its so easy you can solo everything. Except few Group DEs where you will meet people for sure. Also the areas are not deserted, there are people. GW1 was harder even with heroes and henches untill you had most skills unlocked.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by mazut
    Its so easy you can solo everything. Except few Group DEs where you will meet people for sure. Also the areas are not deserted, there are people. GW1 was harder even with heroes and henches untill you had most skills unlocked.

Not most skills, just the decent ones,

And that just required experience and understanding of the game mechanics.

Then you could basically let the heroes do everything on their own.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

You can solo most DEs and it dosen't matter if you fail you still getting rewarded for it so I fail to see the need for a henchman/companion.

Story is also soloable up to the last mission.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

First of all pretty much every mmorpg has this "wasteland" feature in it. Even countries have it, it is called the middle (US started out on Eeast Coast ended up on West, with latest being Hawaii - which is also most popular / vacation destination)  in the United States haha. A bunch of empty fields with not much to do. Heck they don't even have beaches and the ocean :)

In GW2, if you want to make it a problem, then its a very small one.

DEs are freaking easy, and having 2-3 people instead of 15+ just makes you use some skill instead of auto-attacking. For the rare group-event, I've always had enough people come in and finish it if needed.

If you really feal like you can't do the content, then you are either not playing GW2 or have some sort of handicap.