Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription required for Beta? WTH!?!

13»

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    I bit the bullet and pledged. It seems like the most legitimate option for a true fantasy sandbox with all the features I could ask for. I need to be in on day one to help shape this world.

Same here. If PfO can emulate what EVE has done but for fantasy it would be very cool - and be there at the beginning. It's a risk worth taking given I'm not playing/paying for a mmorpg atm or foreseeably.

• BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I'm in. It is about time someone tried to do it right.

To dream, perhaps to be.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Subscriptions are for finished products and not in the works products. 

Subs are for what ever the seller says they are for.

You as a consumer though can, of course, choose not to participate.

There are no cosmic laws or defintions in play here though.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

In an era where games are moving to micro transactions and frequent DLC's this seems somewhat  archaic. I guess things might change in the next 18 months (or likely longer) when beta launches.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Cancer being taken to the next level and you people eat it up and smile.

Say the words out loud "Im going to pay for a beta sub" 3 times in the mirror. I dare you.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

a lof of companies are charging for beta access these days.  i dont like it either.

saying that- both smite and path of exile, which i paid for beta access, within a few weeks of registereing with alternaive accounts, i got into beta for free - it does seem like once you register for beta, you will get in eventually - but instant access might cost a few bucks.  sounds fair, right ?  maybe.. ? 

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Legere

a lof of companies are charging for beta access these days.  i dont like it either.

saying that- both smite and path of exile, which i paid for beta access, within a few weeks of registereing with alternaive accounts, i got into beta for free - it does seem like once you register for beta, you will get in eventually - but instant access might cost a few bucks.  sounds fair, right ?  maybe.. ? 

No.

A beta testing is a service we as gamers provide to a developer in return for a sneak peek at the game.

The VAST majority of mmo 'betas' have been either a marketing stunt or a scam.

I for one, put the '3rd party funtimes development' hatchet down, but its shit like this has got me thinking I might pick it back up again to teach the ever growing cancerous money grubbing usurpers that this shit wont fly.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by Legere

No.

A beta testing is a service we as gamers provide to a developer in return for a sneak peek at the game.

The VAST majority of mmo 'betas' have been either a marketing stunt or a scam.

I for one, put the '3rd party funtimes development' hatchet down, but its shit like this has got me thinking I might pick it back up again to teach the ever growing cancerous money grubbing usurpers that this shit wont fly.

i hear what youre saying, and a decade ago, maybe even half that, betas whas exactly that. however, in modern games, with the exclusion of the big shops lik blizzard, ncsoft etc, betas are being used as cash cows for early access

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

This Explains it well:

Forbes: An Interview With 'Pathfinder Online' Developer Ryan Dancey

Ryan Dancey: This is the reason sandbox games are revolutionary from a business standpoint. A theme park game now requires between 50-100 million dollars and 4-6 years to develop. Some cost a lot more or take a lot more time. That’s because theme park games have to create nearly all the content they’ll feature before they can launch.

A sandbox game focuses on making an interesting world, and then on making interesting systems, rather than building “theme park rides” – quests, dungeons & raids. So we can build our game on a fraction of the budget, a faster timeline and a smaller development team.

The tradeoff is that unlike a theme park, a sandbox game has to start with a relatively small player population and grow it slowly and steadily. Huge spikes in new players can disrupt the in-game economies, the territorial control, and overly concentrate new, inexperienced characters in ways that make it hard to play the game in a fun way.

EVE Online launched in 2003. It had about 20,000 players in its first months, but today it has more than 350,000; in fact the EVE universe has over 450,000 players according to CCP if you count both the Chinese-only server and the server used by the rest of the world.

We want to replicate that pattern – start with a small population and grow it to a larger population over many years. It’s good business, it lets the team scale with the player population, and it rewards long-term thinking; something players really appreciate.