Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A different perspective on WWIIOnline

I've read and respected those who think the game is "dead" and are "upset" with CRS. This is a good outlet for that kind of discussion and I respect your opinion. I hope you'll lend me the same respect in this post, where I describe what my draw to the game was in 2001, and still is today in 2013. 

First, this is a WAR themed MMO with hints of realism. Of which even today doesn't exist (with reason), and might never again. The game has lasted 11 years and that is a major accomplishment for ANY MMO.

In this post, I'd like to explain some of the appeal to me. This is why I still love this game and will continue to play it. 

1: The Community 

The WWIIOnline community is like no other I have been apart of. People know each other, have met many members in real life, and formed bonds and friendships that will last a lifetime. Squads have found a side in which they are die hard and refuse to fight against. The developers are very involved in the community and ad memorials to player in game which are done simply as a sign of respect of their customers. That to me, is special.

2: The Scale

WWIIOnline continues to be one of, if not the, largest persistent game maps in the industry. Pretty impressive for a game that was made in 2001. 

There are hundreds of towns, all slightly different, and many designed to model after the actual towns. 

For those who haven't played and are considering, you can spawn and fly for an hour in one direction, never loading or respawning. It's impressive..

Have you hit the altitude ceiling or gone into a restricted area in Planetside 2? Try to do it in WWIIOnline, it's almost impossible. 

3: The Realism

There simply is not another game that comes close to the realism found in this game. I play other FPS games and various WWII titles, all of which fall short of this kind of quality. The damage models alone are impressive, not utilizing HP but instead using full functioning damage models. This means when you shoot at a tank, there are certain weak spots you want to aim for. 

When your are engaging a plane, you want to aim for the engine or the pilot.

4: The Skill Gap

The game isn't easy. People to not log on and instantly rank in the top 100 categories of any units. It takes time to master your craft. Players find what they like to do. Players literally become famous for their ability to use certain weapon kits. I'll never forget the first time I shot down a bomber or the first time I saw a tank go up in flames from my anti-tank gun. These are all draws for me, as a player. 

5: The Graphics?

You might call me crazy but I think it should be noted. I love the graphics in this game. The progression on the same engine and code work is really fantastic. 

The game has transformed from 

to rich and immersive graphics like

Games don't always develop the way the players want them too. For many players through this games storied past, the game and company have gone a direction they were not happy with. For me, it's always been a game I venture back to and I have never come close to finding this level of enjoyment in any other games. WWIIOnline will always been on a hard drive until it no longer exist. 

Thank you all for reading and happy gaming.

/BAR

Comments

• Silky303Silky303 Member Posts: 134

No hit points, no buffs, no artificial multipliers

This game is completely absorbing, a day one player can kill the enemy Commanding General with one shot. WWIIOL is the best game out there, I've been playing for 6 years and even now every session is different, and it still delivers amazing highs and lows that challenge you as a person as much as a twitch player. It's niche, it's not for everyone - as you'll see from the polar opinions.

But if you want a serious challenge, a game unlike the arcadey Diet-Sims out out there then give this a go. It might just consume you the way it has done many others. 

SWG > Aces High > WWIIOL

• pittpetepittpete Member Posts: 233

Yes, this game can be frustrating as hell at times.

At other times it can be an unbelievable adrenaline rush.

It's the only game I come back to time and time again, the past 10 years.

If the game angers me, (which a player vs. player will do) I just take a step back for a few days or weeks.

Problem is I'm never away for any long periods of time.

Many games in this genre, may have flashy graphics, but the quality of gameplay just doesn't match this game.

For anyone thinking of trying the game for the first time, don't be persuaded by others bad reviews or agendas.

Have a little patience, join an active squad in your timezone,ask a lot of questions anf formulate your own opinion of the game.

Good luck and S!

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

I know you're trying to speak to possible subscribers and sell the game in the best possible light. But the primary audience of this forum is past and present subscribers.  We already know what the game is about and thanks to the F2P anyone can jump in and see the present state of the game.  The audience you should be winning over is the masses on Steam, not this little insular community of grognards.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

1- not part of the game.  And when you have devs like DOC who belittle the community this detracts from the game.

2-The games scale was great, but 95% of it is unused.  How many battles have their been over a hill in the woods?  I can tell you the number of times in 7 years that I played the amount of fights, REAL fights in the middle of nowhere between towns not near a FB over some terrain feature was less than the number of fingures on one hand. 

3-Realism..... It is good but not good enough.   The .50cals had WAY flatter of a trajectory than they do in real life.  HE rounds are a joke, and I wont mention bombs.   Then we have the HEAT rounds, hahaha.   HE was a better light tank killer than the HEAT round.  

4-Skill Gap, well you get that in every game.

5- Graphics, well there where they should be for a 5 year old game. 

So much crap, so little quality.

• battleubattleu Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by rendus

I know you're trying to speak to possible subscribers and sell the game in the best possible light. But the primary audience of this forum is past and present subscribers.  We already know what the game is about and thanks to the F2P anyone can jump in and see the present state of the game.  The audience you should be winning over is the masses on Steam, not this little insular community of grognards.

I have been enjoying the game for 11 years. Of course, my tone comes across as a supporter of the game. 

• depot12depot12 Member Posts: 156

Huh I see the fanbois are here xoom must have promised them something maybe put thier names in all upper case or something.

But anyhoo, for those of you who enjoy the game right now, get used to it because its not going to change. No more updates. No more bug fixes.  The same exploits that have been in there for the last 2 years will be there until the plug is pulled which must be soon at thier burn rate they have nobody left to lay off.

Maybe the freeloader players as xoom calls them do not stay because they are sick of getting killed by invisible EI or are easy drone targets of bar and other people.   Do not be fooled by these fanbois they are here for an agenda. They want the game to go on because they know the freeloaders are easy targets and not aware of the bugs that are used by the veteran players as exploits. So they get used to pad the veterans stats then the go into the forum to brag how great they are compared to the 17 veterans left still playing.

Go ahead and play the game.  Go ahead and subscribe if you want just dont say people did not tell you so.

Wow, you guys are quick.

You've already attacked  a post less than an hour old.

Are you all the same poster?image

I have no agenda. I have only been banned from this game for my conduct in the past. I get nothing out of thise besides watching players like you squirm with rage.
  • depot12depot12 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by pittpete

Wow, you guys are quick.

Are you here to discuss the issues with the game or start a flame war?

Dont hate the player, hate the game.

• OldZekeOldZeke Member Posts: 1

Hello :)  Any old wwiiol players on this forum will likely remember me, I hope.....

Yea it's me, just want to add my thumbs up to the game. It is the game, most folks who have played it refer to it as The Game.

After 11 1/2 years (and I have tried alot of other games) but yea I still login nightly to the game.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Again, feel free to discuss the game and community, but don't make it personal. I've cleaned up the thread a little and am leaving it open for discussion for now.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Originally posted by Amana
    Again, feel free to discuss the game and community, but don't make it personal. I've cleaned up the thread a little and am leaving it open for discussion for now.

Thanks!

• axishatraxishatr Member UncommonPosts: 167
    [mod edit].  The scale is large as far as area but fights are now controlled to give perception of a large playerbase and largely controlled by crs team members.  It does have real damage models but many are still bugged and do not register the calculated hits correctly (for example hitting some units in the arm and chest registers as a foot hit and has been around FOREVER).  As I stated before the sweeping that the skill gap is huge because you are either a day one die hard that cannot let go or a cannon fodder noob that is merely there for targets.  Graphics=atari "Pitfall" days.
  • eagletree1eagletree1 Member Posts: 1

As you can see, I am a new member to this forum, that is because I saw the thread and wanted to provide a different perspective. I'm a new member to this forum because I am a new player to MMO games. That, in turn, is because at the end of last year, I found wwIIOL… and it is the FIRST game I've ever been able to play. This is an extremely important point. A real online FPS that will play effectively on less than stellar connections that some of are forced to use in rural areas, is nothing short of a needle in a haystack. There are good reasons for it working, some may be things that others consider drawbacks. This point makes the game perhaps one of the best ever for an international audience and for US players on rural connections. Lag is simply less of a factor in this game, I'm impressed with the efficiency of their net code.

There are other reasons. Even back as far as early 2000s, I had tried some games, even console FPS shooters. While I could almost play on an even basis with my network, I had no interest in being in a community of people that act like juveniles. That is nearly every gaming community. BGE has a few and they are vocal, but for the most part, it's a different planet as far as the maturity and teamwork you find in it's players. With BGE, I can expect an evening of tactical teamwork and a stiff opposition of tactical teamwork. That is what I consider immersive, and it's very difficult to not spend 5 to 7 hours a night fully engaged. 

The game also rewards playing it in the true spirit of being in military factions. Not all players do that, you are always going to have those who play for k/d, but enough do, that if you operate as a military unit, you will succeed. As an example, in defense, either side will deny the other if enough players acting in role perform the functions you would expect, orderly patrolling, taking responsibility and defending a zone, being a floater who can be ordered to a hot spot etc. You can very realistically see the results of conformance to intelligent standard operating procedures and chain of command. In my opinion, this tendency is one of the most crucial aspects of simulation, and it's not all from game mechanics, but instead that the mechanics foster and reward simulating what real infantry, armor, air and most importantly, individuals, need to be doing.

In about 4 months, I've missed only two nights, both left me in a very bad mood. A good game is one you rapidly prefer over real life, this one decidedly qualifies. 

It takes at least a week of hating it before you start being obsessed. At first, you are simply going to die, and you aren't going to know why, it's not for people who think they are hot, you have to be hot. When you start, it's important to remember that your perceptions of what is going on are wrong. Only digging in and playing it will change that, then you get hooked.

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by eagletree1

It takes at least a week of hating it before you start being obsessed. At first, you are simply going to die, and you aren't going to know why, it's not for people who think they are hot, you have to be hot. When you start, it's important to remember that your perceptions of what is going on are wrong. Only digging in and playing it will change that, then you get hooked.

Yeah, we know all that, we've been playing off and on again for years. Myself personally since Day one.  Who's this for again??  Why don't you post that on the Steam Greenlight page, that's where your paying customers will come from.

• wrath04wrath04 Member Posts: 89

This game is one of the Best games I've ever played hands down! The Depth is staggering, whether you are a Tanker,Infantry,Flyboy,Attacker,Defender,or a Leader(High Command), the action can be as intese as anything I've ever played.

No matter what Kind of player you are, there is a role for you in this game and what you do affects everyone who plays to some degree. The Map is Huge, the war is real, and everyone matters, no matter who you are or what you're doing.

This IS a fun game and well worth trying !

Originally posted by depot12
    Originally posted by pittpete

Wow, you guys are quick.

Are you here to discuss the issues with the game or start a flame war?

Dont hate the player, hate the game.

This thread isn't about the issues, it's about having a different perspective.

Every thread you guys post in here is a knock on the game.

Hopefully this thread won't go down that route.image

• Timmy41Timmy41 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, some of you may recognize me. I started playing in 2006 and for several years I couldn't get enough of this game. The only things that stopped me were real obligations with work and college, so I haven't been on much at all in awhile, but continue to support the game. If any of you are looking for an immersive simulation, especially for tanking, this is the game to go with. No other game has tanking gameplay that parallels this; the modelling and accuracy of ballistics and effects exceeds, by some accounts of military tankers, the capabilities of even US army simulators. I myself have spent many weeks worth of hours in the StuG IIIG in support of my teams effort, and I've enjoyed even the calm moments when I have found myself waiting sometimes an hour for a coloumn I suspect will head down a road, just for a minute of that blood-pumping astoundingly exciting engagement at ranges that may exceed a mile. If you want the opposite of the recent CoD and BF games, this is it.
  • ian77ian77 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by eagletree1

As you can see, I am a new member to this forum, that is because I saw the thread and wanted to provide a different perspective. I'm a new member to this forum because I am a new player to MMO games. That, in turn, is because at the end of last year, I found wwIIOL… and it is the FIRST game I've ever been able to play. This is an extremely important point. A real online FPS that will play effectively on less than stellar connections that some of are forced to use in rural areas, is nothing short of a needle in a haystack. There are good reasons for it working, some may be things that others consider drawbacks. This point makes the game perhaps one of the best ever for an international audience and for US players on rural connections. Lag is simply less of a factor in this game, I'm impressed with the efficiency of their net code.

There are other reasons. Even back as far as early 2000s, I had tried some games, even console FPS shooters. While I could almost play on an even basis with my network, I had no interest in being in a community of people that act like juveniles. That is nearly every gaming community. BGE has a few and they are vocal, but for the most part, it's a different planet as far as the maturity and teamwork you find in it's players. With BGE, I can expect an evening of tactical teamwork and a stiff opposition of tactical teamwork. That is what I consider immersive, and it's very difficult to not spend 5 to 7 hours a night fully engaged. 

The game also rewards playing it in the true spirit of being in military factions. Not all players do that, you are always going to have those who play for k/d, but enough do, that if you operate as a military unit, you will succeed. As an example, in defense, either side will deny the other if enough players acting in role perform the functions you would expect, orderly patrolling, taking responsibility and defending a zone, being a floater who can be ordered to a hot spot etc. You can very realistically see the results of conformance to intelligent standard operating procedures and chain of command. In my opinion, this tendency is one of the most crucial aspects of simulation, and it's not all from game mechanics, but instead that the mechanics foster and reward simulating what real infantry, armor, air and most importantly, individuals, need to be doing.

In about 4 months, I've missed only two nights, both left me in a very bad mood. A good game is one you rapidly prefer over real life, this one decidedly qualifies. 

This was my perception 7 years ago when i first started to play as well Eagletree, and today this is still my favourite game to play. It needs teamwork and patience to succeed, and even then you can still die in a hundred different ways to both new and long time players! Frustrating, yes, but ultimately a great game!

Ian

• Company0Company0 Member Posts: 36
    This is a different game from any you have probably encountered in the past, and I mean that in the best way possible. I've been a member of the game for about two and a half years now. In these two years, I've had adrenaline rushes trying to, alone or with a group, change the tide for a fight. Capturing a key installation that awards control of a section of the map to your side, me vs the other player one on one. Jumping at every rifle shot thinking I was going to die, pistol pointed down the hallway waiting to see the helmet of my foe.

In a grander scale, organizing a fight of probably a hundred people in a single town, ensuring that tanks are in the right position, that we have a flanking maneuver to boot an enemy out of a tough position, higher level abilities and tasks that, as one person does them, can change the flow of the battle and in time the entire war.

This game is one of the few that let's you experience both the one on one fights and the grander scale battles, where both players are equally equipped. In my two years, never once have I considered unsubscribing. Never before in any other game have I been able to say that.
  • RotgrubRotgrub Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Most intelligent shooter there is. Subscribed for 6 years, dont always log in but always support the game with one or two accounts.  Deepest,  hugest game there is . Flight sim,  tank sim,  artillery,  has it all.  Wont nessecarily appeal to spoiled brats with the need for instant gratification.  Mature player base,  thank goodness as i dont have to block every second twirp raging on the chat bar like a pussy.  Simply the best.  No doubt about it.  But you'll need to be intelligent first to actually comprehend the everloving goodness   : ).   Over.
  • Skers11Skers11 Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by battleu

The game isn't easy. People to not log on and instantly rank in the top 100 categories of any units. It takes time to master your craft. Players find what they like to do. Players literally become famous for their ability to use certain weapon kits. I'll never forget the first time I shot down a bomber or the first time I saw a tank go up in flames from my anti-tank gun. These are all draws for me, as a player. 

This is what I love about the game.  The game rewards the mastery of skill sets that go along with playing infantry, armor and so on.  The other aspect that I find very appealing about this game is the need to exercise some patience and thought before acting.  

• wrath04wrath04 Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by Skers11
    Originally posted by battleu

This is what I love about the game.  The game rewards the mastery of skill sets that go along with playing infantry, armor and so on.  The other aspect that I find very appealing about this game is the need to exercise some patience and thought before acting.  

This is one of the BIGEST reasons I still keep playing..you nailed it here!

• StugStug Member UncommonPosts: 387

*BUMP*

First post deserves a read :)

CRS have continued to push for a blue ocean strategy and im still not bored due to the scale of the map, after 10 years. Good post Battl

• USAF77USAF77 Member Posts: 2

CRS made a great effort to get me back in the game and I took it. At one time I played this game exclusively, Honestly it was the only game I ever played that could get my heart pounding from excitement. I had left in disgust over new version issues and the damn weather upgrade, which I believe, ruined the flight game. This has been fixed. There are other issues like game lag and dated graphics. But honestly the plus's of the game outweigh them all.

Thing is BF3 and COD type shooters bore me. Theres no real objectives, no real teamwork, to much cheating, no Track IR, the maps are small. And pretty much all you do is run nilly-willy around backshooting or getting backshot. The game engines and graphics just dont make up for that. Besides my interest is WW2. By far BGE is the best WW2 game out there.

And things matter. Getting killed matters. Working as a team matters. Calling and spotting targets for the air matters. Playing strategically matters. Wasteing a tank matters, cause theres only limited supply. Many a time I'll just drive a truck around towing/ dropping ammo cause it matters. Its as close to a real war game Ive found and for free, or $9.99 a month how are you going to beat that? WW2O is a good game. A solid game. One where your actually achieving somthing.

This discussion has been closed.