Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Despite everything that has been sead, can't we agree that GW2 is a success?

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Here's one to bake your noodles -

Can a success still fail?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by miagisan
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Beanpuie

Q: 

Despite everything that has been said, cant we agree that GW2 is a success?

A:

Nope. why?

Because success unfortunately is subjective to a individual level

If every game is subjective to a individual level with your logic all games are a fail.

But he is right though....if 2 companies make 2 games, the one the person enjoys more is the more successful in his eyes. 

If you are talking shear profit, then its not the case, numbers are factual. What you are asking basically is "do you like GW2?"

I don't think his thought was that deep when he posted.

what makes you assume that?

I took away my question directly from my understanding of his last sentence.

No I won't bate sorry.

What bait? I was asking a question.

Yes you were and I won't bait sorry.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Beanpuie

Q: 

Despite everything that has been said, cant we agree that GW2 is a success?

A:

Nope. why?

Because success unfortunately is subjective to a individual level

If every game is subjective to a individual level with your logic all games are a fail.

But he is right though....if 2 companies make 2 games, the one the person enjoys more is the more successful in his eyes. 

If you are talking shear profit, then its not the case, numbers are factual. What you are asking basically is "do you like GW2?"

I don't think his thought was that deep when he posted.

what makes you assume that?

I took away my question directly from my understanding of his last sentence.

No I won't bate sorry.

What bait? I was asking a question.

Yes you were and I won't bait sorry.

I wasn't, but if in your mind you think I was, I wont argue.

I wasn't, but if in your mind you think I was, I wont argue.

lol Torgrim starts the thread, agrees you were just asking a question, and declines to bait.

I'm starting to wonder about him honestly.

"Hey!  Quick question for ya."

"I don't want to bait"

"No I just wanted to ask-"

"I WON'T BAIT!!!"

"Ok... you're the boss"  image

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

only if future invesment is not returned in profit after said future invesment.

you don't seem to handle these simple concepts that well if you think that is going to 'bake someones noodle'.

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

To succed is to finnish.

Originally posted by Zairu

you don't seem to handle these simple concepts that well if you think that is going to 'bake someones noodle'.

Actually I was just making a small joke about the topic.  Thanks for saying I can't handle simple concepts though.

Originally posted by Zairu

Actually I was just making a small joke about the topic.  Thanks for saying I can't handle simple concepts though.

in a thread where people think they get to have their own definitions for very simple words, don't worry, you found your home.

next let's talk about the others, like epic, failure, clone. I even found a thread where people had a hard time with 'sequel'.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Success?

How are we defining success here?

Personal? Entirely subjective, people could argue that Tabula Rasa was a success.

Financial? We've had 1 quarterly report for GW2, lets see how the financials are a year out.

Industrial? You could argue that The Secret World was influenced by GW2s payment model but for that we would need to analyze the long term success of TSW to determine the success of GW2.

The only metric by which we can, at this point in time, determine the success of GW2 is personal. So, what may be seen as a success to you may be a failure to another.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Success?

How are we defining success here?

Personal? Entirely subjective, people could argue that Tabula Rasa was a success.

Financial? We've had 1 quarterly report for GW2, lets see how the financials are a year out.

Industrial? You could argue that The Secret World was influenced by GW2s payment model but for that we would need to analyze the long term success of TSW to determine the success of GW2.

The only metric by which we can, at this point in time, determine the success of GW2 is personal. So, what may be seen as a success to you may be a failure to another.

there is a problem with that though.

companies are out to make money. if they make profit, it is a success.

companies don't care about meeting one individuals expectations. they care about making profit, no matter what the marketers and cr say.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

@OP

do u realy expect wow-fanboys or any other hater to agry with u?

i dont play the game anymore bc some resons. one is i need the trinity. i recognized that i just miss the healer. played the class for years now and i feel well in every game if i can play it.

but still the game has been sold million times. and still a lot of ppl are playin it, so anet is earnin alot of money.

so ofc the game is a success.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    They should be rollin in dough. Unless they spent a stupid amount developing it.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Far too early to tell to be quite honest, IMO an MMO's success lies in a famliiar as well as lasting community. The people you know today are still there a year later. Anything else is a moot point to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• no way,

sales do not make it a success.

the fact is most of the game is dead, go ahead try and get soome high end, not last mission karma gear.  its a joke.

the f'ed this game so bad its a joke.  the best pvp builds going around have all 5 ppl standing in 1 spot spamming, 

t/s pvp is LO

i wish izzy burned in fire like the pots

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Yes. This game is a huge success. It is highly populated 5 months in and I only play WvWvW now. The amount of people I see playing WvWvW is a pretty good picture of how well Guild Wars 2 is doing. When I go to the Mists there are still tons of people playing sPvP. PvP and Dungeons alone have tons and tons of players and thats not even counting the people roaming around the world just playing PvE.

The game is and will continue to be a huge success. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    I guess the answer is NO. Not that I don't think the game is a success, just that we can't all agree on it. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    If sales = success then DDO and FFXIV would have been successful. Success can only be defined in years. Failure can be defined in months. 
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Having now read all 7 pages of replies, it appears that there are two major definitions of success:  success as a profitable enterprise vis-a-vis success as a MMO able to retain its cusomter base.  

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by grndzro
    If sales = success then DDO and FFXIV would have been successful. Success can only be defined in years. Failure can be defined in months. 

I guess every console game is  a failure then? I know I know, MMO are judged differently but since GW2 is B2P then where does it fall since success cannot be measured by sales and retention. If we are judging GW2 on the same set of rules we judge sub based games then I guess we won't really be able to answer until they release an expansion and we see how many people get it.  The way I see it and the way they stated it, GW2 is not meant to be a second life and they have always claimed it's a game to be played along side your traditional MMO, and even then I have gotten more mileage outta this title than other more traditional "MMORPG's".

Until then are they having layoffs?  Are they still supporting their product with content? Are there plans to server merge and go FTP? Since we are judging by traditional MMO standards then these are the questions I will ask myself to determin whether the game is failing. Game isn't perfect, but it sure is a success to me, even if I don't like some aspects of the design.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

if after like 4 years or so of hype you get just mediocre, average game with small content (many f2p has more at release, and they are FREE, 60$ is nothing to be free, I could play WoW these 4 months and may be get less bored), lot of lag, bug etc - not polished, feels for you like a big success, I congratulate you with correct choice.

sorry to tell I don't think so, beside I have no idea how to play this game for like...ummm... a year? after 4 months I feel like I play it for ages. nothing to have with tons of fun I got from GW1.

from other part, seems 2 mil is nothing much for 4 or more years of work, with all costs involved. seems it's not a big commercial success either, beside their fail try to get cash from item shop seems fail idea, as now we need fashion (and slot for it), we need mounts (best is fly), we need might (hehe) = I saw players pay for at most MMO.

GW2 has fail, gambling and confusing cash shop, where they constantly push you into.
    GW1 got clever, outside game cash shop, no gambling, no push and seems many player used it as it was not seen as obligation or model f2p + IShop.

My worst impression however is that said "success" will not last long and this game will soon loose population and die... simple as that... "giant turned to dwarf", "after midnight all magic will vanished, Cinderella"...

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I honestly don't know.

In my book it was a failure of the greatest magnitude. It's the only mmo I've bought and not made it to level cap, but other love it. Monitarily it depends on how much profit Anet wanted to make. 

Last qt's report showed 48million, I suspect they were holding some sales for this qt. If they were not, that 48 million number could be down to 10. At that point Aion, and Blade & Soul will have out earned GW2 over a 2qt period. If that's the case it would have to be considered a failure outright. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by bcbully

Last qt's report showed 48million, I suspect they were holding some sales for this qt. If they were not, that 48 million number could be down to 10. At that point Aion, and Blade & Soul will have out earned GW2 over a 2qt period. If that's the case it would have to be considered a failure outright. 

will know in 4 weeks

even if Q4 is a resounding financial success for GW2

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5482105#5482105

financial is only one measure of success

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Even if for a fact GW2 is a success it'll still be a failure to these guys lol. We can't agree to that man, I mean everyone has their opinions so nah, we can't agree especially on this forum.

If you ask me it was and then I could give my reasons why.

But then someone could say it didn't because they can give their own personnel reasons, just like me.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

We can agree or disagree all we want. That GW2 is a success is a fact, our "agreements" in our little hole here on mmorpg.com makes no difference.

We can never agree on something being a success. Everyone has a different opinion. Some hate it, some love it. Why even try to agree on personal preferences and feelings? Just accept that we all have different taste and move on. In general GW2 is a success, individually it's a variable... Just like everything else.

This is like saying "Can we all agree that cheese is great?". It makes no sense.

Can we all agree that Justin Bieber is a success?

Here's an interesting concept: Can we all agree to disagree?

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I have definately received the $80 of value for my costs to buy the game. 

I just had to single this out because it is how I measure a game's "success". I picked up GW2 for a really low price online and played it for like 8 hours yesterday on and off.

So far I've paid someting akin to $3.00/hour to be entertained. After today that number will get even lower.

So if I quit, even in a month, I've certainly gotten my money's worth. Much cheaper than a movie and more value.