Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If a Developer approached you...

Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

And Asked "Where totally out of ideas! and we want YOU to give us a list of Features in a MMO and we'll make it for you...

E.g What type of game, themepark/sandbox combo of the both a NEW type of setting

Battle System, Action, tab-targeting, turn-based... etc

Setting, Fantasy, steam punk, space etc etc

and last of all the "NAME" of your MMO

Also anything else you'd like to see in YOUR MMO, IM erger to hear what poeples ideas would be

btw im not a developer or anything like this i'd just like to know whats everyones dream mmo would be and what everyone wants these days

Personally im old school and i want a turn-based mmo like the FF series from the snes days... but thats just me

Once again this is YOUR mmo it can be anything u want not just the ones i listed

Cheers :-)

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Do I get to assume that they can actually implement what I want?  Because if so, then I want infinite content that is just as good as hand-generated content.  And I want it to be completely bugless, look great, and run perfectly smoothly on even very low end systems.

Or do I have to scale it back to what I think they'd be able to implement, considering that they probably don't have a single gamer on their staff if they're completely out of ideas?

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    That simply wouldn't happen. Its like going to LA and having someone walk up to you off the street and ask if you have a great idea for a movie cause they are fresh out. Whats more, considering that the majority of the playerbase is not capable of seperating systems from gameplay all you will be getting is laundry lists of random crap, like "Its going to have the housing from Swg, but action combat like Tera, and puzzle quests like TSW that all spawn dynamically like Rift! Oh and its sandbox (cause this is mmorpg.com, home of the sandbox!) and graphics like Gw2!". Your question, while not bad, you can already find plastered all over the forums by armchair developers who honestly do not know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Free for all, full loot, twitch based combat in the first person/third person, free form house building/city building, guild v guild city sieging system, No auction house, no instance, tradeskill supported, skill based horizontal progression system, no safe zones, group based progression, player generated quests that aren't exp rewarded, no questing to level system.

Fantasy Setting, subscription model.

Obviously a Sandbox.

Call it something like this,

Freedom.

• GXRrangerGXRranger Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I would say make it like WoW but the pvp like DAoC and the graphics better then GW2.
  • EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    That simply wouldn't happen. Its like going to LA and having someone walk up to you off the street and ask if you have a great idea for a movie cause they are fresh out. Whats more, considering that the majority of the playerbase is not capable of seperating systems from gameplay all you will be getting is laundry lists of random crap, like "Its going to have the housing from Swg, but action combat like Tera, and puzzle quests like TSW that all spawn dynamically like Rift! Oh and its sandbox (cause this is mmorpg.com, home of the sandbox!) and graphics like Gw2!". Your question, while not bad, you can already find plastered all over the forums by armchair developers who honestly do not know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Get off your high horse, it was a simple question, do you really think he anticipated a developer doing this? It's a fun thread to discuss what your perfect MMO looks like. If you didn't want to get involved next time don't bother posting.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Well had I would love to a see medival combat simulator. Just as PS2, but then medival and somewhat different. It should be brutal and big. 

Both the player and his avatar levels, but the avatar will perma-die at one point. Loosing the avatar progress, but still retaining the player progress. 

The game is split in multiply regions and kingdoms. Kingdoms are controlled by the players. The leadership sends out armies of NPC and those NPC will move to a region and take it over. The player could at any time take control of any of the NPC or release control of any of the NPC at any time. Releasing the control of an NPC will remove all the avatar progress he made. 

If you side conquered the region the avatar was assigned to conquere or succesfully defended the region he was assigned to you can freely change to a new avatar without loosing progress. If done after loosing or mid-battle your avatar progress will be lost. 

Avatar die with one with sword and the likes in certain regions. Might take two in others. 

After death the player hovers above the battleground and can pick any NPC or go to somewhere else to take control of an NPC

Kingdoms will have an economic aspect. Some regions give food, gold or other resources. Higher populated region will have higher birthrate and thus more recruits. When recruiting you deplete the polution pool of a region, reducing the birthrate. Constantly recruiting from the same region means the yougher population will go off and might die reducing the production and birthrate and if constantly done it might fully distroy the birthrate in a region. 

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Most important feature of all :

Give the players the ability to run their own servers.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

lol mate settle down, i wasn't targeting at anyone or anything it was just a simple question and as a user said just a bit of fun... and of cause this would never happen to the average joe... jeeze...

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    I would just describe every feature of World of Warcraft to him as accurately as possible and tell him to name it Warcraft World Z and then send him on his way.
    Originally posted by Castillle

As in the MMO sense? with thousand of players?? or as in a minecraft sense with just a handful of players? cause i couldnt see that happening ever, would you have to nominate user? but still i like the idea

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

If a Developer approached me...

I'd probably kick him in the balls because I know he would ignore what I say and make a steaming pile of crap WoW clone like Swtor ;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by Quizzical

Do I get to assume that they can actually implement what I want?  Because if so, then I want infinite content that is just as good as hand-generated content.  And I want it to be completely bugless, look great, and run perfectly smoothly on even very low end systems.

Or do I have to scale it back to what I think they'd be able to implement, considering that they probably don't have a single gamer on their staff if they're completely out of ideas?

Nah just simply if u wanted to give a developer a list of features you want in the game simply put... tehemepark sandbox? battle system fantasy?  things along that line, hehe not in a perfect world sense of been bug free and other techinal things like that just a game that would b for you game wise :-)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

I'd probably kick him in the balls because I know he would ignore what I say and make a steaming pile of crap WoW clone like Swtor ;)

Well.... er... actually this reply makes the most sense so far.. lol

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

haha most likely :-) but if u just gave him a list of things u wanted and he HAD to make it :-) we need some names of games 2 tastleful please guys

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

Sheesh have a little fun every once in a while my dude. Excercise that big ol brain of yours. 

Imagination is everything :-)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I would say

.. i am a consumer, not a developer. If you run out of ideas, change your career. I am not going to do it for you.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

Get off your high horse, it was a simple question, do you really think he anticipated a developer doing this? It's a fun thread to discuss what your perfect MMO looks like. If you didn't want to get involved next time don't bother posting.

See, you are the very reasons why these sorts of threads never actually go anywhere. Look at your suggestion! FFA, is pretty obvious, but why full loot? Is it because your first game was UO and you want to go home again? Is it because you want "meaningful" pvp? Have you never played a system that doesn't have anything but a full loot system, Ie no other games interest you but the ones that have included that? Do you just enjoy the negative aspects of it? Ie "rape and pillage"?

I am more than willing to bet that if everything you asked for was actually put into a game you would not actually enjoy it. or it would only hold your attention for a brief time. I say this because rarely do the players actually know what they want with a title. They forget the little things that actually keep them playing. The saying "everything in moderation" is very true in that too much of any one kind of activity will dull whatever that activity does for you. Games are much the same way, as its very often the very smallest of things that actually keep us playing. The changes to the genre over the years have really changed a large many from staying with the same game for meaningful amounts of time, and even when we do, its often for a specific thing that the devs themselves keep us moderated on. Many call this behavior content locusts but in all honesty I feel its more a response on how developers have created content. You cannot blame it on options, as even back in the day you had those, with Ac, Uo, Eq, Daoc, Lineage, Ao etc, yet you did not see the surges between games and content patches that you see today. This thread in general is worse than masturbation, as that atleast makes you feel good. The best that can be hoped to gain from this is a reinforcement that what you want is what the market should do, which is virtually every way is incorrect.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

See, you are the very reasons why these sorts of threads never actually go anywhere. Look at your suggestion! FFA, is pretty obvious, but why full loot? Is it because your first game was UO and you want to go home again? Is it because you want "meaningful" pvp? Have you never played a system that doesn't have anything but a full loot system, Ie no other games interest you but the ones that have included that? Do you just enjoy the negative aspects of it? Ie "rape and pillage"?

I am more than willing to bet that if everything you asked for was actually put into a game you would not actually enjoy it. or it would only hold your attention for a brief time. I say this because rarely do the players actually know what they want with a title. They forget the little things that actually keep them playing. The saying "everything in moderation" is very true in that too much of any one kind of activity will dull whatever that activity does for you. Games are much the same way, as its very often the very smallest of things that actually keep us playing. The changes to the genre over the years have really changed a large many from staying with the same game for meaningful amounts of time, and even when we do, its often for a specific thing that the devs themselves keep us moderated on. Many call this behavior content locusts but in all honesty I feel its more a response on how developers have created content. You cannot blame it on options, as even back in the day you had those, with Ac, Uo, Eq, Daoc, Lineage, Ao etc, yet you did not see the surges between games and content patches that you see today. This thread in general is worse than masturbation, as that atleast makes you feel good. The best that can be hoped to gain from this is a reinforcement that what you want is what the market should do, which is virtually every way is incorrect.

The point of the thread isn't to plan for a developer doing this to you, but to share ideas of your dream MMO if it could be made.

No real reason to be a dick.  Try just enjoying the thread, posting constructively, instead of saying "that would never happen"

I hope my suggestions to be nice aren't too offensive to you.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I really don't know what the big hurdle is there. 4th Coming offered that well over a decade ago, and barely anyone else has tried it since.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

I don't care for that idea personally. To me that will just split up the population more. But if thats a want for you, cool beans. Just sharing my perspective.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

First, and foremost, I would ask them to NOT try to make a game to replace WoW or even come close WoW numbers. I would suggest that they target a specific audience and make a game for them, and not try to please everybody. Shoot for hundreds of thousands instead of millions.

Here are the features *I* would suggest:
    - No PvP.
    PvP ruins a game by introducing "class balance" issues. Only when trying to beat up other players do class abilities come into question.

- Totally open world.
    No instanced anything. Cities are in the world as are dungeons.

- No personal "I'm the hero" storyline.
    That is a single player game mechanic that does not work in MMORPGs. The big bad boss never stays defeated. The world does not change because you won.

- Simplified combat.
    My character, not me, is swinging their sword or casting those fireballs.

- Many, many choices in activities. You can never have enough.
    Make combat secondary or tertiary. Something a player who enjoys combat can do, but not something a crafter has to do in order to play.

-- Make crafting deep and viable.
    Have mats with differing qualities. Make experimentation true, failures when combining ingredients happen. Make recipes non-automatically learned. Let a player put their own touches on crafted items like color schemes or looks from a variety of set looks. Not every set of chainmail looks exactly the same.

-- Include in world (non-instanced) player housing.
    Players need a place to lay their head in game. Some players will take their homes and run with the possibilities they represent. Others will have the basics or maybe no home at all.

-- Don't reward players for every breath they take. Get rid of any and all badges and achievements.
    Explore because it is what the player desires to do (or not), not because of some arbitrary achievement. Allow players to make a name for themselves in their own fashion.

- Robust character creation.
    Most players want to be able to make their characters somewhat unique. Make a creator that players can spend hours on if they so desire with presets made for those that just want to get into the game.

- Make leveling take time.
    Make it so that armor piece you just got/crafted lasts a few levels. Let it degrade and have to be repaired, not replaced in 2-5 fights by better gear. Allow players time to get used to any new abilities.

- Do not have levels.
    Levels tend to segregate players. Have a skill system similar to Morrowind, but even better. More skills to choose from.

- Have quests that matter.
    Make quests for class abilities or spells. Make quests for crafting. Have a quest in order to purchase a piece of land, get a special weapon or armor, what have you. Make quests that help the player, not some NPC.

- Spells use components. Bows use arrows. Equipment and money has weight.
    Unlimited everything is too easy. A player should have to learn to plan ahead and guesstimate if they have enough "supplies" to get them through the next adventure. Bags should not be limited by number of items, but rather weight carried.

- A wide, vast land with rich lore and deep religion.
    Make books on everything from hero stories to how the world was made. Keep it in game, not on some external website. Let players do that for you.

- Minimal to no voice acting.
    This is very hit and miss. Not worth the expense it costs, which could be used in other aspects of the game. No voices for players at all.

- Absolutely NO cut scenes.
    Nothing like having your character stand there frozen as events happen all around them, unable to even move or draw a weapon or ready a spell. This is especially bad when a NPC dies while in the cut scene. My character did not even try to help them?

- Lots of player races and paths to follow.
    Again, the more the merrier. Variety is the spice of MMORPGs.

- Most of all, let the players create their own stories.
    You don't have to lead players around by the nose by using quests. Let them discover who is worth talking to and who is not, NPC-wise. Have guilds that players can join (Thieves Guild, Magicians Guild, Warriors Guild, Crafting Guilds, etc) that will help them along.

Now, I realize there are many, many players (millions I would gather) that would not touch this game with a ten foot pole. That is fine. I would remind the developer that there are hundreds of games trying to please everyone and failing to do so. Instead, shoot for the few hundreds of thousands that would enjoy this type of game and make it the best they can, ignoring the cries that "This will bomb!"

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Dekarx12

And Asked "Where totally out of ideas! and we want YOU to give us a list of Features in a MMO and we'll make it for you...

E.g What type of game, themepark/sandbox combo of the both a NEW type of setting

Battle System, Action, tab-targeting, turn-based... etc

Setting, Fantasy, steam punk, space etc etc

and last of all the "NAME" of your MMO

Also anything else you'd like to see in YOUR MMO, IM erger to hear what poeples ideas would be

btw im not a developer or anything like this i'd just like to know whats everyones dream mmo would be and what everyone wants these days

Personally im old school and i want a turn-based mmo like the FF series from the snes days... but thats just me

Once again this is YOUR mmo it can be anything u want not just the ones i listed

Cheers :-)

Sandox: Wild West MMORPG Let's call it "Way of the Gun"

Based in the Old West (Obviously), encompassing the areas north to south (Lower Canada to Mexico), and east to west (Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean). This area would be VAST.

You could be Caucasian, African American, Mexican, or any of the various types of American Indians of the day (Sioux, Cheyenne, etc.) From here, you are plopped into the world depending on your race selection. From there, you are on your own.

You can be anything or do anything. Be a...

Bank Robber, Train Robber, Horse Thief, Wrangler, Gun Slinger, Saloon Owner, Farmer, Blacksmith, Tailor, lead a gang you make or be in one, Sherriff, Deputy, Bounty Hunter, Indian fighting for your land and survival, U.S. Calvaryman, etc. All buildings and shops would have the jobs available in those days available to players to do. Any  jobs not occupied by a Player will be assumed by an NPC.

First or third person shooter. No rules but those made by the players, just as it was in the Wild West. Player made towns that can be set up anywhere (Namely around resources like rivers, lakes, areas for mines, etc).

VAST character creation options and clothing options. Think Red Dead Redemption MMO and then some.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Goatgod76
    Originally posted by Dekarx12 And Asked "Where totally out of ideas! and we want YOU to give us a list of Features in a MMO and we'll make it for you... E.g What type of game, themepark/sandbox combo of the both a NEW type of setting Battle System, Action, tab-targeting, turn-based... etc Setting, Fantasy, steam punk, space etc etc and last of all the "NAME" of your MMO Also anything else you'd like to see in YOUR MMO, IM erger to hear what poeples ideas would be btw im not a developer or anything like this i'd just like to know whats everyones dream mmo would be and what everyone wants these days Personally im old school and i want a turn-based mmo like the FF series from the snes days... but thats just me Once again this is YOUR mmo it can be anything u want not just the ones i listed Cheers :-)

Based in the Old West (Obviously), encompassing the areas north to south (Lower Canada to Mexico), and east to west (Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean). This area would be VAST.

You could be Caucasian, African American, Mexican, or any of the various types of American Indians of the day (Sioux, Cheyenne, etc.) From here, you are plopped into the world depending on your race selection. From there, you are on your own.

Bank Robber, Train Robber, Horse Thief, Wrangler, Gun Slinger, Saloon Owner, Farmer, Blacksmith, Tailor, lead a gang you make or be in one, Sherriff, Deputy, Bounty Hunter, Indian fighting for your land and survival, U.S. Calvaryman, etc. All buildings and shops would have the jobs available in those days available to players to do. Any  jobs not occupied by a Player will be assumed by an NPC.

First or third person shooter. No rules but those made by the players, just as it was in the Wild West. Player made towns that can be set up anywhere (Namely around resources like rivers, lakes, areas for mines, etc).

VAST character creation options and clothing options. Think Red Dead Redemption MMO and then some.

The beginning of your post sounds very much like an idea I have for a Western themed MMORPG. I would have to go back and look at what I wrote down, but I'm pretty sure my idea was more restrictive in what players could do. For instance, an Indian wouldn't become a priest and a European settler wouldn't become an Indian Shaman. It would be Open World all the way, but not necessarily a total sandbox.

Anyway, that's two for a Western Themed MMORPG. Can we get any more?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Most important feature of all : Give the players the ability to run their own servers.

Holy cr@p, yes. I wish developers would do this. This and modding are the reasons I bought Minecraft, even when I thought the game might be stupid. Developers should do this already.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Goatgod76

Originally posted by Dekarx12 And Asked "Where totally out of ideas! and we want YOU to give us a list of Features in a MMO and we'll make it for you... E.g What type of game, themepark/sandbox combo of the both a NEW type of setting Battle System, Action, tab-targeting, turn-based... etc Setting, Fantasy, steam punk, space etc etc and last of all the "NAME" of your MMO Also anything else you'd like to see in YOUR MMO, IM erger to hear what poeples ideas would be btw im not a developer or anything like this i'd just like to know whats everyones dream mmo would be and what everyone wants these days Personally im old school and i want a turn-based mmo like the FF series from the snes days... but thats just me Once again this is YOUR mmo it can be anything u want not just the ones i listed Cheers :-)

The beginning of your post sounds very much like an idea I have for a Western themed MMORPG. I would have to go back and look at what I wrote down, but I'm pretty sure my idea was more restrictive in what players could do. For instance, an Indian wouldn't become a priest and a European settler wouldn't become an Indian Shaman. It would be Open World all the way, but not necessarily a total sandbox.

Anyway, that's two for a Western Themed MMORPG. Can we get any more?

Well...the only thing I didn't mention is NPC's would have "Faction" qualities to them. Meaning Whites woudl frown on Indians in their towns...may be hostile, may not., Indians woudl be wary of whites, blacks, etc. So it could be somewhat restrictive depending on how others view you.

Especially if there was a bounty/ honor system incoporated. Like if A Particular player became an outlaw, wanted posters with rewards would start popping up in towns. Not all at once, but branching out from the location of the initial crime. Thought of this a bit over a year ago and it's more in depth than what I am showing here. But you get the jist of it. =)

Anyways, woudl be nice to see as it is something different from elves, orcs, and the such.