Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Pathfinder Online: A Sense of Pride

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I will be frank with you and the video on a kickstarter page determines whether I am interested in a product or not. Sadly this video was bad imo and showed nothing interesting besides: we want to make a sandbox.
  • BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    @Vorthinian

Ever game you mention will be release before Elder Scrolls.

No AAA studio after Elder Scrolls is developing a Themepark.

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    I will be funding this one for sure on the last day, going to put my money where my mouth is, this game needs it, big time. The features, the settings, the story. It gets my money.
  • norlinorli Member UncommonPosts: 13
    despite all the Fun this Game might offer, why the hell do i have a $500 GFX Card, to play a Ugly Game on it, isnt it possible to take an existing good Engine like Unreal or Farcry and build a Sanbox Game that actually look good as well ?
  • planbeeplanbee Member Posts: 15

To all of you complaining about the engine, you're looking at a very dated video and with them having only used the engine for a limited time. If you'd like to see the capabilities of the engine then just go to youtube and do some searches of the capabilities. It looks way different than the tech demo you're all raging about.

Additionally, the project already got its funding. Kickstarter is there for their reach goals. Please do some research before making stupid posts people...

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207
    Everyone that is saying this is an ugly game, just stop.  The pictures you are seeing are tech-demo, pre-alpha images.  Thus, these are completely unrefined to highlight mechanics and base character design.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I want to be excited about this but I just can't cross that line into optimism yet.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    This sounds really interesting to me, but it is so early in the process that all you can really do is keep an eye on it and see what happens.  I would be less wary if so many devs didn't promise more than they could deliver.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,928
    Originally posted by Raventree
    This sounds really interesting to me, but it is so early in the process that all you can really do is keep an eye on it and see what happens.  I would be less wary if so many devs didn't promise more than they could deliver.

I totally agree.   I ahve sat on the sidelines for years (literally) after the Mortal online launch fiasco.

This is the first time I have really seen that there is a developer with great concepts, based on an established IP,  with experienced developers with deep roots in both MMOs and also in RPGs.  To me, this is not the typical kickstart and that is what made the difference and got me to pledge.

I want to be in there on day one, forging the world. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by BlackUhuru
    @Vorthinian

Ever game you mention will be release before Elder Scrolls.

No AAA studio after Elder Scrolls is developing a Themepark.

I'll give you that Neverwinter may release before Elder Scrolls, but it's not certain.  Archeage is releasing in the USA in 2014, which is long after Elder Scrolls release of middle 2013.  Defiance may release before, but it still doesn't have a set release date.  Marvel Heroes will probably release before or at the same time.  Wizardry Online just announced today of the closure of their beta test, so it will release before.  The rest of the games on my list are slated for late 2013 or early 2014 at the earliest.  So, yeah, there are plenty of non-sandboxes coming down the pike after Elder Scrolls.

Not sure what you mean by AAA studio as the moniker is suppose to relate to the actual quality of the game and not the stuido that produces it.  It also indicates a large sum of money spent to make it, which most of those games apply.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    To this day I've never seen a developer succeed when they make such black and white distinctions between "theme park" and "sandbox" games. The ones that do, without fail, tout their game as a "sandbox" and claim that this makes them inherently superior to "theme park" games.

He's doing exactly that when he boldly (and unfoundedly) proclaims the death of the theme park genre and when he says that sandbox games are built for the long term while theme park games are not.

He states quite plainly that because of the self-evident superiority of sandbox games, it isn't necessary for Pathfinder Online to even launch with all of it's features.

Pathfinder Online may or may not be a good game, but he's off to a very bad start with all his big talk.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I doubt TESO will release this year
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Mmm..yeah..I want to like it...but if it looks too good to be...it usually smells like...yeah..

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• LetsPlayOutsideLetsPlayOutside Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I'll sit on the sidelines for this one, 2015 release date is a long way off.....
  • rawwraww Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I would have considered supporting the kickstarter at the $100 level until I read that only the first 2000 backers could get into the first month of "early enrollment". This kind of shameless moneygrabbing (in order to get people to rush to back the $100) is just the kind of thing I hope to not see from these big companies.  They already want my money to play the game, and now they want ridiculous amounts more just to develop it in the first place.  I don't think so. I don't want to see this model thrive.  I doubt I'm the only one, most people don't like being robbed.

Moo

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by planbee

To all of you complaining about the engine, you're looking at a very dated video and with them having only used the engine for a limited time. If you'd like to see the capabilities of the engine then just go to youtube and do some searches of the capabilities. It looks way different than the tech demo you're all raging about.

Additionally, the project already got its funding. Kickstarter is there for their reach goals. Please do some research before making stupid posts people...

I believe the Tech Demo cost kickstarter 300k from people that you called stupid.

Stop come to this forum if you cannot take any negatives comment from others?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

It is easy to talk about a feature list, it is much harder to implement such.  Kickstarting any company is a real crap shoot.  I have yet to any of these so called great sandbox games that really gets what a sandbox is.  My suggestion is to take a wait and see attitude on a game like this until we actually get information from people actually play testing it.

Must have had a significant brainfart to spout this nonsense: "After the Elder Scrolls Online project releases, there are no large AAA Theme Park MMOs under development at any significant publisher or studio. 

Titan and EQnext come to mind as AAA titles, you can bet  there are others unannounced.  This guy sounds like a snake oil salesman.  He can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk.   I have my doubts.

Oh and paying to beta test is just a real indication of bad intentions.   I do not trust companies that ask you to pay to test their software, should be the other way around.

EQNext has been announced as a sandbox that is why they scrapped their last version of it supposedly.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    doesnt look like they'll make it which is a real shame

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Only three days left on Kickstarter so please support Pathfinder Online and make your pledge on http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo?ref=search
    Why? They have corporate backing already. Why do they need player money on top of that? They will be answering to those corporate backers anyway.

Besides, I have never seen a bigger money grab than they have shown thus far.

• Player Money to fund their tech demo
    • Player Money to help fund their game (which has corporate backing already)
    • Player money up front to beta test their game
    • Releasing with a Box + Sub + Cash Shop

By all means, pay and pay and pay to play their game. I'm just sayin'...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

How can people not understand that this is the tech demo footage and does not represent ANY WHERE close to what the graphics will look like at release?

Did they not read/listen to a word that was said in the video/conversation/blogs?

Anyway, this is my frist kickstart, so good luck!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    mr. plinkett would say: "What's wrong with your face?!?"
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Only three days left on Kickstarter so please support Pathfinder Online and make your pledge on http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo?ref=search

Why? They have corporate backing already. Why do they need player money on top of that? They will be answering to those corporate backers anyway.

Besides, I have never seen a bigger money grab than they have shown thus far.

• Player Money to fund their tech demo
    • Player Money to help fund their game (which has corporate backing already)
    • Player money up front to beta test their game
    • Releasing with a Box + Sub + Cash Shop

By all means, pay and pay and pay to play their game. I'm just sayin'...

Yea, they promote on their sites that their CEO is Steve Job of marketing.

They definitely will milk the players to death lol, just like Apple.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• DewolfDewolf Member Posts: 6

>8(

Open PvP, Player Looting, and a Staggared launch ...  NO Thankyou!! 

Was looking forward to it untill those three things came to light!!

Voiced my opinions on the Official Paizo forums and the whole comunity there where so rude and think they are better then everyone..

So now I pulled my pledge and sold all my pathfinder books.. the MMO had put the biggest downer on the whole pathfinder world for me and many many others.. 

what?

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    If sandbox translate into free pvp, they will have serious contenders. If the social aspects will be pve driven, it could trigger my curiousity [edit]... nvm it wont be

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Since when did Paizo have a good reputation? I've never even heard of them at all!