Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Despite everything that has been sead, can't we agree that GW2 is a success?

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by eyelolled

The thing that I am so absolutely certain of, is that it is immensely less likely to learn anything valuable from forums, than it is to learn something valuable from xfire statistics.

haha that's funny :)

Definition of sucess will vary amongst everyone. People that say no, will say that it wasn't a success for them, maybe because they felt like it didn't live up to GW1. More narrow definition of success may get more people to agree haha.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by grndzro

I'd have to say it isn't from a consumer perspective

The problem is GW2 could have been absolutely amazing......but the devs f'ed it all up.

Lag issues

Disconnect issues

Pet pathing issues

crap drops

no contact combos, only field effects

even way over level for a zone you still feel....meh

Abysmally slow movement speed

Rediculous warp travel costs

Champion and boss difficulty is simply a matter of toughness/health/dodging

dodging/avoiding blows sometimes simply dosen't work

poorly thought class skill/talent combinations

I'd say over 1/2 the weapon skills are practically useless

I's say over 1/2 the weapon types for any given class are underwhelming. 

Gathering mats for each tier is a serious grind reminescent of FFXI but without the benefit of items that last a long while.

Given the high quality build of GW1 people expected much more from GW2 than what we got. I would deem it a failure imo.

None of that matters as to whether it is a success or not. the company made a profit. it is a success.

You want to talk about if it was successful in pleasing you? that's another topic. And one that goes to whether they will KEEP making money, not whether or not they have.

They already have.

what part of "FROM A CONSUMER PERSPECTIVE" are you having trouble with?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    the middle zones are wastelands

That's odd, I've been on several servers in both WoW and GW2, and I've seen more people running around in "middle zones" in GW2 than I ever saw in WoW.  I always have people to do events with.

Anyway, yes, the game is a success.  I don't love everything about it, but its a little silly to claim it's a failure.  I don't like Rift, but I consider it a success too.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Of course it's a success, would be disingenuous to say otherwise.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

If we don't call GW2 a success, I think we'll have a hard time calling any MMO a success in the foreseeable future. :)

It cleared 2 million sales in two weeks, it seems to have sold exceptionally well for a long period of time, and it's still one of the bestselling PC games out there. From what I've seen and heard, there's no shortage of players in the game, either. I'll admit I'm not too fond of the game, but that seems like some solid success to me.

Granted, that doesn't mean it'll stay a success - that, we'll have to see. Cash shop purchases will probably be a big factor there. As will the expansion sales.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Beanpuie

Q: 

Despite everything that has been said, cant we agree that GW2 is a success?

A:

Nope. why?

Because success unfortunately is subjective to a individual level

If every game is subjective to a individual level with your logic all games that have been made for the past 30 years have been a fail.

please move along.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Nikopol

If we don't call GW2 a success, I think we'll have a hard time calling any MMO a success in the foreseeable future. :)

I'd say you must be new here, but it's obvious you're not.  lol.  However successful a game is, there will be a ton of "fans" of this genre who will deny its success simply on the fact that it isn't everything they hoped for.  I just play games for fun, not to see if my laundry list was completed.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Eir_S

That's odd, I've been on several servers in both WoW and GW2, and I've seen more people running around in "middle zones" in GW2 than I ever saw in WoW.  I always have people to do events with.

Anyway, yes, the game is a success.  I don't love everything about it, but its a little silly to claim it's a failure.  I don't like Rift, but I consider it a success too.

Wastelands is the new thing to claim about this game. Although it is a feature that affects every mmorpg to some degree, I personally haven't encountered problems with it in GW2. I for one, like smaller more skill based groups to get DEs done, instead of massive zerg numbers.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Q: 

A:

Nope. why?

If every game is subjective to a individual level with your logic all games are a fail.

But he is right though....if 2 companies make 2 games, the one the person enjoys more is the more successful in his eyes. 

If you are talking shear profit, then its not the case, numbers are factual. What you are asking basically is "do you like GW2?"

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Wastelands or not, this game is as antisocial as it gets, and yes I talked to people, most just couldn t care less if you re even there.
    Originally posted by Leucent
    Wastelands or not, this game is as antisocial as it gets, and yes I talked to people, most just couldn t care less if you re even there.

exactly my point...OP does not define "successful" in a quantitative way.

Originally posted by miagisan

Q: 

A:

Nope. why?

If every game is subjective to a individual level with your logic all games are a fail.

But he is right though....if 2 companies make 2 games, the one the person enjoys more is the more successful in his eyes. 

If you are talking shear profit, then its not the case, numbers are factual. What you are asking basically is "do you like GW2?"

I don't think his thought was that deep when he posted.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    It appears to have made money for NCsoft so yeah it's a success. Most of thes 'failed' mmo's on these forums turned some sort of profit that why companies keep making them. People on mmorpg.com are way too quick in labeling a game a failure.

ok then hope you had fun while you were playing :)

Q: 

A:

Nope. why?

what makes you assume that?

I took away my question directly from my understanding of his last sentence.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

GW2 is like D3.

- They are financially successful

- They failed to deliver on most of their promises

- Their player retention rate is horrible (SWTOR-like)

- Most of the people who bought those games feel betrayed and cheated

- in every thread on every forum you see about the biggest disappointments of 2012 the most answers are GW2 and D3

- Their future seems bleak unless their next expansions turn things around (I don't count on it)

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    WoW has more subscribers than this game ever will.

ok then hope you had fun while you were playing :)

well then the question is now changed from "Was it successful?" to "was it fun?"

for me...no. I did not find it fun. I enjoyed GW1 alot more than 2.

Q: 

A:

Nope. why?

No I won't bate sorry.

Q: 

A:

Nope. why?

No I won't bate sorry.

What bait? I was asking a question.

Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Wastelands is the new thing to claim about this game. Although it is a feature that affects every mmorpg to some degree, I personally haven't encountered problems with it in GW2. I for one, like smaller more skill based groups to get DEs done, instead of massive zerg numbers.

Oh I know how it works, believe me.  "Say it enough and it'll be true".  That's what some of these complaints count on, but they're just buying their own press.

It's not enough to say that GW2 doesn't have as many people in middle areas as, you know, all the launch people were leveling in those areas... let's ramp it up and say that they're "wastelands".

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Q: 

A:

Nope. why?

No I won't bate sorry.

What bait? I was asking a question.

I agree with you - if individuals judge success based on how much they like a game, to them any game could be a failure in their individual mind.  Financial success is different than that.

I'm not sure why that guy thinks you want him to "bate" and I'm not sure that's something I'd want to know he was doing.

• skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47

Why would people here need to agree? Everyone knows its a success... It's already gotten multiple game fo the year awards, and has the highest Metacritic of any MMORPG to date aside from Vanilla WoW.

So it depends what you think a success is...does it need to be number 1 in the genre? I don't think so

Originally posted by kadepsyson
    WoW has more subscribers than this game ever will.

+ 1  lol

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by skorner64

Why would people here need to agree? Everyone knows its a success... It's already gotten multiple game fo the year awards, and has the higeghest Metacritic of any MMORPG to date aside from Vanilla WoW.

So it depends what you think a success is...does it need to be number 1 in the genre? I don't think so

Everyone knows it s a success, followed by, so it depends what you think is a success???