Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Charity Pet Raises $2.3 Million for Hurricane Victims

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Blizzard - more aid money sent for the hurricane victims than the USA government.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Didnt they just have a 'Cataclysm'  last year and failed?....<.<

jk

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Gotta love that "Blizzard effect".

If this had been some other MMO developer, like ArenaNet, they would be heralded as saints.

But, no, since its Blizzard we get this

greedy money grabbing evil mega corporation bstds.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    They got my $10, and he's too cute too.  I run around with him as my main companion now, sorry Mr. Bigglesworth, but you're not on fire!
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Being from s.i.n.y myself I must say thanks to blizz for caring more so then many of our ellected officials. Big props!!!
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by SBFord

Blizzard Entertainment has announced that World of Warcraft players raised over $2.3 million to be donated to the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Sandy. The money was raised through sales of the Cinder Kitten in-game pet. 100% of the cost of the Cinder Kitten was donated to the ARC.

Read more on the World of Warcraft community site.

I am so glad to hear this, and not bad for a 10 USD pet. That is a lot of cinder kitties. Since I can't donate directly to the US Red Cross, I went ahead with this and am glad to have been a part of it.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR
    [mod edit]

Some people cannot donate directly, as other posters have pointed out, but were able to help using this.  Perhaps some didn't even care to own the pet, but sent 10 dollars to help anyways.

So what do you want instead?  Nobody at all to help the victims?  The government isn't.

People opened their wallets to help those in need, and you call them selfish.  Truly, you disgust me.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR
    [mod edit]

Er, I missed something. What exactly is a cinder kitty going to do for me in real life ? If you think that having some silly kitten in a video game is a big deal, then it is you who missed the point. We basically donated money for nothing at all but for me it means a lot because I have some family in the part of the US that got hit. They were much better off than many people, so I really did want to give *something*.

I do not live in the US, the only way I can donate to the Red Cross in North America is via something like this, so I was personally glad for it.

I am just hoping some of the money gets used to help Haiti and Cuba too.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by dotdotdash
    [mod edit]

I dont even think it was trolling, i think it was just sarcasm that went over people's heads

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Either way, blizzard has done something here that every mega corporation should be doing. This shows the true nature of a company and its employees and customer base, whoever bought one of these pets, and to blizzard setting all this up, you people should pat yourself on the back! Well done!
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Muppetier

Friend, 100% of the proceeds went to Hurricane Sandy peoples. :)

100% of the proceeds went to the American Red Cross
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by adam_nox

I don't play WoW anymore, I don't have a job, and I don't like NJ, but I bought one anyways.

That's pretty cool.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    wow that was nice of them i guess i can't rip on blizzard anymore *cry havok*
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

"100% of the cost of the Cinder Kitten was donated to the ARC."

To Blizzards wording, 100% of the cost went to the victims.  Not 100% of the profits.

profits might be 10 million for all I know, but it cost Blizzard 2.3 million to hire / train / market / sell the pet.

Did Blizzard just make money again?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

This may not be the game for me, but I certainly applaud their philanthropic endeavors.

Sure, it's a tax write-off and all that good stuff.. But the point is that they are putting their large sub-base to good use by providing so much money to good causes.

So, again (in case anyone got confused), I applaud ActiBlizz for doing this.

Perhaps they would consider creating another pet in order to donate to the "Acidon Needs Money" foundation.  Hmm.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Its a win-win for everybody.  Great cause,great people, nice pet.  Kudos to Blizzard for continuing to set the standard for gaming companies.

On a side note: Haters gonna hate.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by Karteli
    "100% of the cost of the Cinder Kitten was donated to the ARC." To Blizzards wording, 100% of the cost went to the victims.  Not 100% of the profits.
    You're now going to argue semantics?!

Also, it was not "Blizzard's wording" it was the wording of the MMORPG.com article writer.

If you want to check out Blizzard's wording you could have gone to the website linked in the article.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Karteli

"100% of the cost of the Cinder Kitten was donated to the ARC."

To Blizzards wording, 100% of the cost went to the victims.  Not 100% of the profits.

profits might be 10 million for all I know, but it cost Blizzard 2.3 million to hire / train / market / sell the pet.

Did Blizzard just make money again?

no lol, it's 100% of the cost to players, $10 per player

They do this every once in awhile when something happens.  Blizz benefits cuz they get to write it down as a charitable donation at the end of the year :)

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Great, everyone's cheering on Blizzard for donating 2.3mio (of which they'll probably get a good amount back via taxes or something)

Still in the bigger scope of things this is an ridiculously low amount for a company as huge as Blizzard and in perspective that the overall damage was something around $50 billion. They should be ashamed. I bet their expenses on coffee and tacos each year are bigger. This was nothing but a PR stunt, and a cheap one on top of that.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Volgore

Great, everyone's cheering on Blizzard for donating 2.3mio (of which they'll probably get a good amount back via taxes or something)

Still in the bigger scope of things this is an ridiculously low amount for a company as huge as Blizzard and in perspective that the overall damage was something around $50 billion. They should be ashamed. I bet their expenses on coffee and tacos each year are bigger. This was nothing but a PR stunt, and a cheap one on top of that.

Someone should feel ashamed alright.  Though it isn't Blizzard and their using company time, manpower and resources they could've sold for profit just to encourage more people to donate.  

Tell me, friend, when was the last time you were at a homeless shelter helping the less fortunate?  Volunteering at an animal shelter or even pass a few bills to a good cause other than something for you or your relatives?

Encouraging others to donate and donating your own manpower is respectable; it is one's own perogative if they think it's a waste of time to do charitable things and there's nothing wrong with their beliefs.  But actively striking out a company or people for doing charitable things is the same as trying to steal money away from people who need it.  In making such less than socially acceptible remarks you may discourage people from partaking in a charitable event -- no matter the reason of it or the amount that is ultimately raised -- in the future, and thus you become an evil entity bent on making people suffer.

Bringing people together is more valuable than just tossing a few bucks at a problem and then ignoring it; those who get to others to actively contribute in a community process brings people together and may encourage them to do so in the future.  That is not to mention that each empoyee individually possibly helped in their own way to encourage people.  But no, here we have a select few condemning such actions, trying to find the worst in things, and painting a shady picture of the world.  I certainly don't think I help as often as I should, but things like this remind me that I should, and I don't endeaver to disrupt their good will when they happen as you have.

Go out and make the world a better place to live instead of partaking in a community (this one, for instance) where you have thus acted like nothing but a complete and total jerk where this issue is concerned.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    some of you guys are truely disgusting citizens of this world and are extremely out of touch with it

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Muppetier

Haha excatly my thought, this is just one of those brand/name awareness projects, hoping people will love Blizzard and look at their products, aka a cheezy markerting technique to get more revenue. 

Yes of course it's great the got 2,3M (FROM PLAYERS) to help others out, but do remember Blizzard didn't do anything themselves, so why love them for the selflessness of their players? They make millions and millions of dollars monthly for christ sake they could've spent that right? but they would much prefer having a fancy car or a big house themselves. To bad Blizzard I'm still not buying your products. ;)

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

Congrats to Blizzard for getting a 2.3 Million dollar tax break on the backs of their players.

Way to go!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Volgore

Why should they be ashamed? They didn't have to do a thing.

Posts like this are tiresome. Put aside this childish hate for a minute, sit back and just be glad someone, who didn't have to do a THING, raised 2.3 million dollars to help people in need.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Howry

Congrats to Blizzard for getting a 2.3 Million dollar tax break on the backs of their players.

Way to go!

When you donate and write it off on your taxes, should you be villified?

All you people complaining about Blizzard raising this money should stop and take a lok at yourselves. Look at what you are complaining about, money being raised for people who desperately need it.

And the only reason you all are doing this shit is because you don't like a video game... Time to grow up a bit, just a little...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!