Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 B2P or F2P?

cafehcafeh Member Posts: 15

Why people classify GW2 as B2P?

Where it differs from the F2P games since it does have a cash shop just like them?

On my concept B2P is when you buy a game and don't have to spend another cent on it ever. Unless there is an expansion or something like that. Eg. Guild Wars 1, Diablo II etc.

But in GW2 you need to spend money on their cash shop to get all bank and inventory slots unlocked among all the cosmetics like any F2P. So why people keep saying its B2P instead of F2P?

Comments

• HiperzoneHiperzone Member UncommonPosts: 10

because u dont need to spend cash to buy stuff from the ingame shop, you can just convert gold to  real money and buy all the stuff you need.

You can play the full game without spending a penny if you want.

• MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Because you have to -buy- it, thus -buy- to play rather than -free- to play.  Dumb topic is dumb.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Buy to play

/thread

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Buy to play

/thread

^ this move along people

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Very poor thread choice OP.

You have to BUY the game in order to play. B2P

F2P allows you to download the game for FREE and start playing. F2P

Cash shop/ no cash shop has nothing to do with anything.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by cafeh

But in GW2 you need to spend money on their cash shop to get all bank and inventory slots unlocked among all the cosmetics like any F2P. So why people keep saying its B2P instead of F2P?

Damn I really want to write something but I just came back from a 2 week temp ban.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Where it differs from the F2P games since it does have a cash shop just like them?

On my concept B2P is when you buy a game and don't have to spend another cent on it ever. Unless there is an expansion or something like that. Eg. Guild Wars 1, Diablo II etc.

because you have to BUY THE BOX in order to get your account first... 

Oh and, you don't have to spend another cent on the game after you bought the box... If you really need the extra storage in bank slot or you want an extra character slot you can always buy them using your in game gold.

Tho I don't know why would you need to buy all the cosmetics since they give you nothing and when you wear them you can't use your combat skills... Inventory slots which you get at start are more than enough tbh... 

Tho, cash shop really has little to do with the name "F2P" or "B2P".

For instance, you had to buy the box in TSW and pay the monthly fee AND you had in game cash shop... Nobody called that a F2P. See where i'm going with this? :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it's free to play.  they are giving out copies at Anet.com.
  • EspionEspion Member UncommonPosts: 62

There are a bunch of games out there that you don't have to buy the client, or spend money on to  get all bank slots, and such.  Only thing is, you might have to grind like crazy.  GW2 is far from special.  Havent played it since the first month I played.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

This is where you are going wrong in your thinking. All bank and inventory slots are unlocked by default upon first logging in.

if you like, at your convienence, you have the option to buy MORE of those things if you want them. you do not NEEED them. Make sense?

Now to the red, since we understand the yellow, i hope?

In OTHER F2P games, you NEED those items, they are not CONVIENENCE items.

Class over. No homework. it's like elementary school all over again!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    It's both, only difference from the F2P is that you have to buy the game.
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256

lol to this. I'm at max level, more bank slots than i know what to do with, and 100g. no money was spent. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Damn I really want to write something but I just came back from a 2 week temp ban.

haha, I was wondering where'd you go :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Buy to play is where you purchase the game and then they have a store. 

Free to play is where you can download the game for free and immediately start playing without limitations and then they have a store to purchase things in. 

Freemium is where you can download a limited version of the game and start playing with limitations for free, an option to unlock features the make the game unlimited through a monthly subscription is available and often they have a store available.

Pay to play is where you buy the game, pay a monthly subscription to play, and they have a store to buy things in.

Not really seing much of a difference here, IME they all have stores.

• dg29031994dg29031994 Member UncommonPosts: 135

B2P: Is when you buy the game and then don't spend any more money into the game. This is true with Guild Wars 2. You do not have to spend any cent in the cash shop, u can farm in game gold and buy them. Also, the cash shop item do not imbalance the game. It is mostly for cosmetic.

F2P: You get the game for FREE. You can play as long as you want without paying any cent. But you will get own by other peoples who spend tons of money in the Cash Shop which tend to sell item that imbalance the game (like gear, Enchantment stone, X2 PvP point,....). This is not true to GW2 because GW2 does not sell any item that imbalance the game. 

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

this is "smart" hybrid model where you need to bye client and then use item shop.

difference between GW2 and other games:

most of f2p as well as p2p has 8 char slots, GW2 sold with 5 and they need you to buy 3 more from shop (optional for sure), I know, some f2p restrict you to 2 chars per server, but there you can make 4 accounts for FREE and get same 8 slot (silly IMO).

I know large number of f2p games where you have much more bank / inventory space, beside bank is per char and not per account, GW2 has like no bank to me, but just joke, you really NEED to buy it and more if you roll cooking which can't use deposit box for "half-cooked" mats, I mean stuff you gonna use again later to discover more.

GW1 has more space (well it comes with every x-pack) and had no crafting at all, here components take too much space, which, I guess, push people use IShop.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

You dont have to spend another cent to enjoy everything. There are only two conviniences - bank tabs and bag slots you may find useful to have. But you still can buy them with ingame gold!!!

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Ive been banned, suspended, and warned atleast a dozen times this past few months. Sometimes things just need said even if the mods dont like it image

Speak your mind, you will feel better in the morning lol

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Buy to play is where you purchase the game and then they have a store. 

Free to play is where you can download the game for free and immediately start playing without limitations and then they have a store to purchase things in. 

Freemium is where you can download a limited version of the game and start playing with limitations for free, an option to unlock features the make the game unlimited through a monthly subscription is available and often they have a store available.

Pay to play is where you buy the game, pay a monthly subscription to play, and they have a store to buy things in.

Not really seing much of a difference here, IME they all have stores.

haha, you really beleave that, don't you... Its exactly the oposite, you have a lot of limitations and you MUST BUY STUFF to enjoy the whole game.    M U S T    B U Y

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    B2P is like F2P but it allows them to use non-agressive purely cosmetic/convenient cash shop because you paid them already, which makes B2P much better model imo.