Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Golden Age of MMOs, What Do You Miss Most?

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

actually....

the "golden age of mmos" started with WoW. before, mmos have been niche games. not golden.

totaly agreed @frodo

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

I went ahead and copied my response in another post here since it is somewhat relative to the disc....er, argument....

MMORPG's before 2004 did NOT force grouping. You could still solo, it was just harder, more time consuming, and less efficient to do so..unless you were also doing it for the chance at some lucky loot drop (Depending on the game. Which also depended on how loot tables were distributed in said game).

If you really think about it...games such as WoW and Rift for instance almost force you to solo. Now you CAN group in these games, I know this...but it's tough to get groups unless you join some rabid hadcore raiding Guild...because no one wants to group since you can get almost everything alone, or if you aren't in that clique. No one wants to take the time to talk to others, group up and maybe chat and become friends you put on your friends list and look for for that content that may need some grouping.

At least with more group oriented content MMORPG's people are more likely to group and discover community. AND they STILL have an option to solo at any moment they wish. The other way around, it is MUCH harder to get groups than to solo.

I am not saying there shouldn't be solely group oriented MMORPG's, nor am I saying they should be solely solo oriented ones. They should have the ability to do both. But if anything...they should have a bit more group oriented features to them because to me that provides more of a balance and the option to do one or the other more freely with little or at least less of a wait.

You are absolutely right.  Previous MMO's didnt force grouping, they just heavily incentivized it via XP and loot bonuses.

The problem is the ultra casuals whined and moaned and cried until they got their way, because in their eyes if someone can level even 1% faster than they can by grouping instead of soloing, then they view that as being FORCED to group.

In UO, people regularly grouped up to run dungeons, PVP and do other activities. What were the xp and loot bonuses to doing so in UO?

Nice straw man. I listed at least half a dozen MMO's which all incentivized grouping as far as xp gains and loot to some extent. Ii didnt play UO personally so i can't speak to it, but even if it were the one out of the list that didnt, it still doesnt invalidate the point.  So, why not go back to the drawing board and come back with something with a bit more substance.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Thane

actually....

the "golden age of mmos" started with WoW. before, mmos have been niche games. not golden.

totaly agreed @frodo

When people use the term "the golden age" in reference to something, they're referring to a time when things were well and good, and proper.  Its not a reference to popularity.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I don't know what you guys are talking about it being hard to get groups in todays games.

It is easer than ever to get a group, just a few minutes even for dps.  With lfg and lfd grouping is far easier than it has ever been and grouping is still heavily incentivized (if thats a word) with far better xp, far better loot and far better coin.

No you don't get a group for every single aspect of the game, you didn't do that for older games either.  Just like older games there are things specifically made for groups.  In modern games this is dungeons/flashpoints/heroics and raids.

But it is way easier to get a group than it was in old games.

And the golden age hasn't actually come yet.  The first generation is rarely the best, this genre is no exception.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I don't know what you guys are talking about it being hard to get groups in todays games.

It is easer than ever to get a group, just a few minutes even for dps.  With lfg and lfd grouping is far easier than it has ever been and grouping is still heavily incentivized (if thats a word) with far better xp, far better loot and far better coin.

No you don't get a group for every single aspect of the game, you didn't do that for older games either.  Just like older games there are things specifically made for groups.  In modern games this is dungeons/flashpoints/heroics and raids.

But it is way easier to get a group than it was in old games.

And the golden age hasn't actually come yet.  The first generation is rarely the best, this genre is no exception.

Another difference...in older MMORPG's (Pre-WoW) compared to newer ones and it's drove of players...if a group failed...guess what, they almost always went back in until they got it, or just ran out of time to try it again and made plans to meet the next day to try it again. And if a player made a mistake, others would give them advice on what they did wrong and how to correct it and HELP them get better. Sure, once in awhile there were jerks, but by no means the amount there are today.

Anytime I got a group in a more recent MMO...one of a couple different scenarios happened if the group failed....

1) 1 or more people would instantly leave the group. At least 1 blurting out insults to the rest about how they suck and are noobs.

2) Whoever made the mistake was instantly dropped for another person.

If the group succeeded, people would instantly drop and go on their way. Not even considering the others left there and if they could get out safely or not.

A lot of the problem is patience....seems no one has them anymore. And guess what...MMORPG's are about patience. Again, it is what seperates them as a different genre from console gaming, where everything is quick fun. IDK why so many can't get that through their heads other than they probably started with console games and think that is how they all should be, and that MMORPG's prior to WoW were seriously flawed. Or, they are older with jobs, kids, and other responsibilites and want them fast and to cater t their life style now. I have all those things...but I make time and do my progress at my pace. If friends out level me, oh well, I find new ones and enjoy time with them, and still chat with my older ones until i catch up and can group with them again. If you can't make time for MMORPG's or take them at a pace you can allow for, I think your probably in the wrong gaming genre IMO.

Sure, they weren't perfect. They were amongst the first after all, but they held values that are almost extinct in today's supposed MMORPG's. Open seamless worlds (EQ had zones, but they were big and open), crafting with substance and worth, quests with interesting stories and long chains that stretched between different areas, COMMUNITY, variation as far as character looks, armor, etc, depth, and content out the ying yang.

Most modern MMORPG's have little to none of this....yet, they are better? IDK about a lot of you...but I don't find getting to level cap in a month or less, having in-game GPS to every quest (Most of which are collection quests 10 feet from the quest giver) , and looking like almost every other player of my class as better.

MMORPG's are not meant to be raced through. It's about the journey, NOT the destination.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I will give you that. Patience definatelt seems limited now. I don't blame devs for that, that's just society in general and mmo's are now mainstream enough to reflect the good and bad points odmf society.

But there definately is less tolerance.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

Old mmo's are inferior in every way to new mmo's. The reason people call it "the golden age of mmo's" is because the mmo was new to people back then. Your sense of awe and wonderment simply don't reoccur after your first couple mmos. At least not as strongly. This leads people to believe its the mmos fault..they blame the mechanics...the presentation...the story..the community..they blame other mmos for make simple tasks more convienient. They blame everything except the actual culprit..their own feelings.

I use to know some guys that where E-heads? I dunno what you would call people who do ecstasy so E-heads will do for now...but they never stopped going on about how awesome the first couple times was...they spent a couple years chasing that old feeling...taking all sorts of E hoping desperately to once again feel the way they did the first couple times. They would always blame the drug itself, claiming it wasn't potent enough or some such garbage. It never happened and they eventually wised up and stopped doing drugs. It kinda reminds me of the way these people clamoring for the "golden age" act. I will eat my hat if an mmo is released that ever satisfies them.

What do I miss in old MMO's? The feeling I got playing an mmo for the first time..thats it. Everything else is just people scapegoating for the reasons I mentioned!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You are absolutely right.  Previous MMO's didnt force grouping, they just heavily incentivized it via XP and loot bonuses.

The problem is the ultra casuals whined and moaned and cried until they got their way, because in their eyes if someone can level even 1% faster than they can by grouping instead of soloing, then they view that as being FORCED to group.

In UO, people regularly grouped up to run dungeons, PVP and do other activities. What were the xp and loot bonuses to doing so in UO?

Nice straw man. I listed at least half a dozen MMO's which all incentivized grouping as far as xp gains and loot to some extent. Ii didnt play UO personally so i can't speak to it, but even if it were the one out of the list that didnt, it still doesnt invalidate the point.  So, why not go back to the drawing board and come back with something with a bit more substance.

I didn't see the list you had, just this post, which is why I asked. Thank you for reminding me why I put you on block a couple months ago. I shall return you to that state.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

The community;

People that actually enjoyed the game because they enjoyed gaming and social interaction. Now we have a bunch of kids that just want to get the 'new gears' and step on everyone they can in the mean time to get it. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

what OP said + the need to travel.

Every game today has a lfg tool and it teleports you to the dungeon or raid.  Everything today is way too fast.  Maybe I'm the only one that has enough time to run for 30 minutes to get somewhere to fight for an hour+.  That's the only time I play MMOs anyways, when I got over an hour to burn in it.  If I'm expecting something to come up where I can only play for 30 min, I don't even bother to log in.

This really helps immersion imho.  Which I really liked about old MMOs.  I had the time back then to sit down and play for 8 hours, and "snap out of it" and notice it's 1am and I had school in 6 hours lol.  Ahh the good ol' days.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by nukempro

Old mmo's are inferior in every way to new mmo's.

For people who like the new MMOs.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • bopice12bopice12 Member Posts: 20

I'm still playing one of the last golden age mmo's.   Come join us!

EQ Mac ,   stuck in 2002.    Better than wow or any of the new games. gw2 was fun for 2 months  , but content is burned through so fast in an action based mmo with no random loot off random rare mobs/ .

EQ MAC al'kabor!  "go to rerolled.org and find the way to play it on a PC." 

I have played almost EVERY mmorpg   besides a few of the free ones that were click to move"bleh" .    Here are The best mmo's in order.

1.  Everquest Classic 1999-2001 .

2. Eqoa   ps2   "shutdown last year"

3. Wow Vanilla   "first 8months"

4.  GW 2    " awesome action / combat" 

5.  Nothing .   maybe lotro until moria expansion.

That is not an Opinion :P  That is FACT.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by bopice12

EQ Mac ,   stuck in 2002.    Better than wow or any of the new games. gw2 was fun for 2 months  , but content is burned through so fast in an action based mmo with no random loot off random rare mobs/ .

I have played almost EVERY mmorpg   besides a few of the free ones that were click to move"bleh" .    Here are The best mmo's in order.

Or at the very least, it is in fact your opinion.....or is it? DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

Anyways the three MMOS that kept me playing for awhile were EQ, EQ2, and WoW.

EverQuest I never really achived much of anything. I think I got to level 54, got some nice gear, but thats about it. Fun game though, and dungeons in a sense were interesting because bit by bit you got to see more of it when you got to different camps.(even if there are plus sides to camping, such as chatting with people, it could be booooooooooooring too).

EverQuest 2.....I liked collecting the shinys and the game was relativly entertaining,making food and drink and having duels with fishing poles was entertaining for some reason as well.

WoW, I liked the Warcraft lore, and its world was pretty fun. Maxed out a couple of chatacters with some good raid gear and kept coming back until MoP(nothing against that xpac, just finally done with the game) Part of the reason I quit was I got tired of the lore, which in my opinion, was KEK Horde win, Horde win again, Alliance fail, Horde win, Horde blow up base and it phases in, Alliance blow up mine, mine still there. Again, my opinion. Gameplay....eh pretty standard, it works, just would like something more to it as well, like more than gear grinding or repeatedly running the same dungeon over and over. Though the other two mmos I listed had similar issues.

I rather doubt that the "golden age" of mmos is over, considerng the "Golden age" was the beginning of visual mmos.(MUDs being much older). Eventually, someone will do something new, or change something old enough to garner interest, which a few short years from it being released will be considered generic and there will be a new <insert game name here> clone threads that replace WoW clone threads.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by bopice12

I know it was a joke, but far from a fact. The real fact is out of all of the early MMOs I played, the only one I didn't enjoy that much was...... EQ.

For me it is:

1. Original UO - none of the karma system, anything goes world. Was a blast, but they patched out all that was fun.

2. A very close second and it moves to first the moment the karma system was added to UO - AC. When I picked up that game I just couldn't stop playing it. I've since gone back to it.

3. DAoC - loved the PvP aspects of the game.

I went back to UO once even though I knew all of the changes that were in it and I played for a couple of days. That was it though.

Never tried going back to DAoC. I remember the UI being pretty brutal even when it was new and I don't think they've changed it. It is probably too grindy for my current tastes.

AC though was nice, especially with the changes over the last few years. And now that I get to try AC2, a game I never originally played, it is even better.

Your post and mine highlight the big difference between the two big groups of MMO players, theme park players and sandbox players. Yours is a theme park golden list and I consider mine to be a sandbox golden list. No matter which camp you prefer, there are still golden age MMOs running.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Golden Age to me was UO after the Trammel / Felucca split.

So many good PvE memories from Trammel and so many good PvP memories from Felucca.

*sigh*

Why has no game really picked up on this? You either get full loot hardcore PvP and the PvE sucks or you get Grind Heavy Hardcore Raiding Only Carrot+Stick PvE and the PvP sucks.

Really don't think it's too much to ask for good PvE AND good PvP in the same game, on the same character - but without eliminating the CHOICE to which you want to participate in at any given time.

Not rocket science people.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221
    I miss not being nickel and dimed to death. Micro transactions on a sub game? Really? Free to play, it's cool, I understand you need to make money to keep game alive, but cash shops for games you pay for, no way.
  • KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by exwin
    I miss not being nickel and dimed to death. Micro transactions on a sub game? Really? Free to play, it's cool, I understand you need to make money to keep game alive, but cash shops for games you pay for, no way.

Hrm I don't recall being nickle and dimed in any recent MMOs. Sure GW2 had stuff you could pay money for, or you could just convert ingame currency for other ingame currency. I also remeber paying $9.99 I beileve it was monthly for EverQuest, and that changing to all MMOs to the current $15. Other then that nothing much has changed, expansions cost money, and monthly fee obviously costs money. Sure WoW has its mounts you can buy, but you're under no obligation to get it nor does it put you in any real disadvantage. Just my opinion though.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Kendane
    Originally posted by exwin

Hrm I don't recall being nickle and dimed in any recent MMOs. Sure GW2 had stuff you could pay money for, or you could just convert ingame currency for other ingame currency. I also remeber paying $9.99 I beileve it was monthly for EverQuest, and that changing to all MMOs to the current $15. Other then that nothing much has changed, expansions cost money, and monthly fee obviously costs money. Sure WoW has its mounts you can buy, but you're under no obligation to get it nor does it put you in any real disadvantage. Just my opinion though.

TSW, STO (referring to prior FTP), WarZ all have/had hybrid Premium/Cash shop models. I'm sure there are many more, those just the ones I've personally played.

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137

What do i miss about old school games?

1. Dungeons that aren't instanced.
    2. Zones that aren't instanced.
    3. Gameplay that didn't begin at endgame but rather began as one played.
    4. Trains across the zone!!
    5. Games with no LFG tool, had to know the people ya grouped with.
    6. No quest hubs and giant exclamation points.
    7. Worlds that felt like worlds.
    8. Slower leveling.
    *Waves cane in the air* Give me a MMO with an old school feel for the old school gamers!!
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Bathnor

1. Dungeons that aren't instanced.
    2. Zones that aren't instanced.
    3. Gameplay that didn't begin at endgame but rather began as one played.
    4. Trains across the zone!!
    5. Games with no LFG tool, had to know the people ya grouped with.
    6. No quest hubs and giant exclamation points.
    7. Worlds that felt like worlds.
    8. Slower leveling.
    *Waves cane in the air* Give me a MMO with an old school feel for the old school gamers!!

Have you tried AC2 since it relaunched? It seems to fit that list pretty well, for example there are no instances in AC1 or AC2. There is no LFG tool (although some people have been asking for one). There are no marks over NPC heads, there are no quest hubs although there is an NPC here and there in different towns that give quests along with other ways of getting quests. It has a good leveling curve to get all the way up there.

Might be worth checking out. I'm having fun with it and am heading home soon to jump back in.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Bathnor

1. Dungeons that aren't instanced. And groups lined up 10 deep to tag and kill the one mob you were really after that only spawned once every 90 minutes....much bickering and name-calling ensued...
    2. Zones that aren't instanced. Easy to do with flat barren landscapes with the occasional brown rectangle + green triangle tree.
    3. Gameplay that didn't begin at endgame but rather began as one played. AKA... mothing to do at level 50 other than grief
    4. Trains across the zone!! Yeah! Griefing! Right up there with food-fights and streaking
    5. Games with no LFG tool, had to know the people ya grouped with. Noobs need not apply.
    6. No quest hubs and giant exclamation points. And very little to do.. (see trains and end-game above)
    7. Worlds that felt like worlds. They never did, although we do communicate mostly in chat-boxes now IN RL...it's getting closer?
    8. Slower leveling. Three cheers for player-retention through forced grinding! Hip, hip...

Someone had to be the image advocate. I nominated myself.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by nukempro

Old mmo's are inferior in every way to new mmo's. The reason people call it "the golden age of mmo's" is because the mmo was new to people back then. Your sense of awe and wonderment simply don't reoccur after your first couple mmos. At least not as strongly. This leads people to believe its the mmos fault..they blame the mechanics...the presentation...the story..the community..they blame other mmos for make simple tasks more convienient. They blame everything except the actual culprit..their own feelings.

I use to know some guys that where E-heads? I dunno what you would call people who do ecstasy so E-heads will do for now...but they never stopped going on about how awesome the first couple times was...they spent a couple years chasing that old feeling...taking all sorts of E hoping desperately to once again feel the way they did the first couple times. They would always blame the drug itself, claiming it wasn't potent enough or some such garbage. It never happened and they eventually wised up and stopped doing drugs. It kinda reminds me of the way these people clamoring for the "golden age" act. I will eat my hat if an mmo is released that ever satisfies them.

What do I miss in old MMO's? The feeling I got playing an mmo for the first time..thats it. Everything else is just people scapegoating for the reasons I mentioned!

^ Hahahahahaha

k now that that's out of the way those of us who were actually around for it and took part in "the golden age of mmo's" know that it actually DID exist and like the op pointed out has since died out.  Here are my top 3 features i miss:

1) The incentive to form LONG-LASTING relationships not just a group to accomplish goal A (The reason why people claim poor community vibes is because like our society, people are forming groups because they need to at the time and dump them just as easily because this is how new mmo's consider group play, optional).  This created that positive community vibe when you knew John Doe as a buddy you played with from launch and his crafting abilities complemented you excessive need to obliterate all mobs and explore random high level areas, so when you returned to town you could make some $ john could continue his quest to cornering some part of a real market.

2)  Difficult content.  Yes i said it not content designed for you to just get a group of the flavor of the month classes together, but required knowledge of the game, perhaps background of the monster types, and a healer with reflexes to save your a$$ when the tank lost control.

3) This brings me to my third and final point, ROLE IDENTITY!  I laugh at these games where you can easily attain every class or play any position with very little time or effort invested into the class.  That may be the easy way that carebares ask the devs for but thats not the formula for a MMORPG which is supposed to be a long-term investment.  A good healer, dps, tank, should require significant investment and time learning the mechanics to be able to endure that difficult content without failure.  There is a great sense in pride players find in being good at a role, and knowing that they are not a dime in a dozen and when you log on people whisper you for a group invite because they've been waiting for a dps who knows wtf he's doing to help them defeat this difficult boss, roaming mob, or (not my preference) instanced dungeon.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by WellzyC

That’s all I can remember right now, anyone else have anything they miss about the MMO Glory days?

this is the most redundant topic on this site.

it gets old looking at the topics when I come here and more than half of them are by people who have yet to realize that they are growing up and the same old things just are not as awesome anymore. it's fine to not play video games. i have several other hobbies, video games just happens to be the easiest and most relaxing on my mind.

what do i miss about MMO's? nothing. they NEVER really were very well designed for fun, but intead timesinks. you say modern MMO's are bad games, I say they all are, however, they can be fun to play with close friends. but that does not somehow make the game designs good, because they are not. they are just monotanous and dull and always have been. MMO's are watered down RPG's and that is all they ever will be because of what it would require to truly make a thriving virtual world. fact is, they make enough bank off of the current design and have no need to change it for the better, when ppl already eat it up. i'm not saying the tech isn't there, but that they have no need to innovate when they already sell their product as is.

EVERY company just wants your money, not to live up to your personal expectations of what a 'good' MMO is (or product in general, outside of the mmo industry). the fact that grown people don't seem to realize this is mind-boggling. for instance, so many gamers get jaded by the hype of games pre-release. even as a teenager, I knew better than to listen to marketers and hype, whose JOB is to overhype everything they sell. marketers don't get paid to tell the truth, plain and simple. that is something you just have to KNOW and ignore.

base things on experience, not marketing. its AMAZING that ANYONE would EVER have to say that to an adult.

that said. I will never quit playing video games because I have enough common sense to only devote my time to things that I enjoy. because of this, I have never felt the need to make a  'the good ole days' thread. (I am 31. i was here when pong was still popular and Mario was amazing)

ahhh then again, all I have to do is think about all the brain-dead fucks I encountered in MMO's and all of the sudden your threads make sense, or at least your motivation to make them. 

• Camaro68Camaro68 Member Posts: 50

The only thing I really miss is the sense of immersion that came with EQ1's accelerated 3D graphics. 

The tech was so new that you really got drawn into the world and connected with it in a way that no videogame had ever allowed before.  You were truly in that world and savored every opportunity to see what was on the other side of the next hallway or mountain in the distance.

Unfortunately, Verant/SOE didn't exactly have Shigeru Miyamoto's sensibilities when it came to game design.  Alot of quality game design was left on the table and justified by gamers as "weeding out the casuals".  2004 and the launch of WoW was a case study in superior design v.s a developer who sat on their laurels and took their audience for granted.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Reply to the topic: Less whine about the "good ol' days".

1. Need to form a group? Huge inconvenience. Probably one of the biggest hinderances of the genre.
    2. Buffing. Stupid mechanic, imo. Needlessly creates dependencies. Long term buffs should be permanent (meaning no long term buffs) and buffs more tactical in general. All removable by offensive abilites ofcourse.
    3. See number 1.
    4. Meaningful is entirely subjective. I don't find any meaning in fighting over a virtual castle. It is pointless. I'd much rather play for ladder rankings and tournaments.

Why not just get rid of actually having to click ability buttons.  I mean, thats clearly too much effort.  We should just have to walk up to a mob and our character should know how to kill it himself.  You know, even that seems like too much.  Why should we have to actually walk up to the mobs, we should just be able to click a point on the ground and the mobs start spawning in front of us only as fast as our character can kill them.

Personally, I stopped playing, I found my simplicity in just watching the youtube vids, when I get bored of one I jump to another one, they are all free to play too.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs