Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: Open Beta Servers Closing January 14th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This weekend is the final weekend for Wizardry Online open beta players to check out the game and assist with bug squashing. Servers will be closing on Monday, January 14th in preparation for the Wizardry Online retail launch on Wednesday, January 16th.

To prepare for the launch, SOE will begin shutting down the Wizardry Online open beta servers on Monday, January 14. During the downtime, current and future Wizardry Online players can visit the official Wizardry Online Wiki to read up on tips, tricks and other important information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    what's wizardry online
  • JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104
    yeah right ... retail 
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I was getting ready get PO when they said open beta closed, i thought the game was getting shutdown.
  • TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    Yeha its horrible and dated, played and tortured myself and played for a few hours deleted the client afterwards its horrible stay away from it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Etherignis
    I was getting ready get PO when they said open beta closed, i thought the game was getting shutdown.

Hahaha yeah first thing I thought of when I read thsi also.....Also this game was so bad that I went and fired up Wizardry 8 so I could remember what a good game was like......For those of you that never tried Wiz 8 it is actually a very good game, unlike Wizardry online.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

This game is Wizardry in name only. I cut my teeth on games like Eye of the Beholder and Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. I would honestly have preferred that the Wizardry name had stayed dead after 8 rather than given birth to this abomination.

Also, retail? As in, they plan to CHARGE people to play this game? I would hope not. I paid not a dime yet still felt quite fleeced. Violated even.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

This game is Wizardry in name only. I cut my teeth on games like Eye of the Beholder and Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. I would honestly have preferred that the Wizardry name had stayed dead after 8 rather than given birth to this abomination.

Also, retail? As in, they plan to CHARGE people to play this game? I would hope not. I paid not a dime yet still felt quite fleeced. Violated even.

Well, they charge players to have a better chance of not becomming perma-dead.  Thus in effect, Wizardry On-line becomes pay-to-win, since those paying will have higher level characters longer (regardless of playstyle and how "good" someone plays) than those that dont (on average), thus achieving more.  Achievements which carry to your next re-roll... so it makes sense to spend extra money in the cash shop, right?

The original Wizardry was a challenge indeed.  PVP and permadeath in a Wizardry game don't mix well.  Not to mention in the old days, you would lose your characters (party) if you had a power outage.  Nowadays, I guess you'll lose them to not only power outages, but also network lag and game crashes.  The older games were coded well enough where they didn't crash .. newer games? hmm

I played those games with you, btw.  Eye of the beholder (all 3) was a blast.  I'd hate to think that an Asian company will be next picking up Might and Magic as an MMO.  What a shame that will be.  Those games are abandonware (I own the box anyways), and played through them again in the past year.  Great solo games.  As an MMO?  Doubt it.  It would never capture the dream of the original team.  Same with any other remake.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• FrohheimFrohheim Member UncommonPosts: 11
    myself and a copule of friends tried the game and decided that it is utter garbage. its not like it is anything like wizardry or you could call it "modern" or "fun" or "innovative" or maybe... "good". some people should just stop making games blindly and start trying to get a feeling what gamers in general want and like if they want it to be a success. doesnt need to please everyone, but it should be pleasant  to some.... not none. 
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    well at least the game will start as F2P rather than subcription and then go F2P after it flops
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Frohheim
    myself and a copule of friends tried the game and decided that it is utter garbage. its not like it is anything like wizardry or you could call it "modern" or "fun" or "innovative" or maybe... "good". some people should just stop making games blindly and start trying to get a feeling what gamers in general want and like if they want it to be a success. doesnt need to please everyone, but it should be pleasant  to some.... not none. 

It's a combination of both branches of Wizardry - NA and Japanese. If you were expecting Wizardry 9, this wasn't design to be it. If you were looking for something down the line of Labyrinth of the Lost Souls with some Wizardry 1-3 flavor in multiplayer form, this leaned more in that direction.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Frohheim

It's a combination of both branches of Wizardry - NA and Japanese. If you were expection Wizardry 9, this wasn't design to be it. If you were looking for something down the line of Labyrinth of the Lost Souls with some Wizardry 1-3 flavor in multiplayer form, this leaned more in that direction.

Anyone interested in Wizardry 1-3 wouldn't like this game. You had complete control of your party.  Now you have no party and you can be player-killed.  Lovely.

Wizardry 1-3 was mentioned because that is what this game is based on?

The new owners are from Japan?  not the original flavor of the game that made computing history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry)

At least make a fake company called Sir-Tech ... that might get some sales...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    The game reminded me of a really bad version of a  Level 5 game on the PS2.

Hi

• brianw1brianw1 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    wizardry dry as a bone
  • Teran1987Teran1987 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Only game SOE intends to let die slowly

"Life is not judged by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

"pay for not to be perma dead" - sounds like a great fun to me!

*moving away very fast*

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• kamayarikamayari Member UncommonPosts: 5
    The rights to Wizardry is owned by a Japanese holding company. Basically in Japan they believe they are "purists" when it comes to Wizardry and basically remake Wizardry 1-3 over and over with a "twist". Still find it funny how Wizardry 8's gameplay is still fresh.
  • KusigaKusiga Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I guess I was the only one who enjoyed playing beta, had tons of fun with random groups and making friends with people. Then again i've longed for many years of an MMO that made me remember my days of playing Shadow of Yserbius and hoping my modem wouldn't get interupted by someone's phone call.