Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another failure of a MMO brought to us by Marvel.

akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

When then Cryptic Studios and NCsoft America announced they would be making City of Heroes a super hero MMO I thought it was a great idea. At that same time I was wondering how long would it be till DC Comics and Marvel Comics make their own MMO. Then DC Comics teamed up with Sony Online Entertainment to make DC Universe Online a decent little MMO where we could team up with known DC Comics super heroes. Then Cartoon Network decided to make the browser game Fusion Fall also a decent little game to play. WHile all this is happening NCsoft bought City of Heroes/City of Villains from Cryptic Studios. Also at that same Marvel Announced that they were teaming up with Microsoft and Cryptic Studios to create Marvel Universe Online. Shortly after this announcement for some strange reason Marvel and Micosoft got into a pissing contest and the MMO was canceled. Cryptic Studios then took the ideas they had for MUO and created Champions Online. Years then passed with no Marvel MMO then came Marvel Announced Marvel Super Hero Squad Online a crappy game based off of a crappy cartoon. And now Marvel announces another crappy MMO where instead of making our own Super Hero we have to use already known super hero in a Diablo-esq style game play. When will Marvel finally come out with a Super Hero MMO that rival DCUO Champions Online and City of Heroes?

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Comments

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Actually I think it's because DC and COH/CO have already covered those areas of the gaming world and Marvel does not want to be compared to existing franchises. Instead of trying to compete with DC by creating what is essentially a clone they opted to make a new version of their existing franchise. I personally loved the console beat'emups and played nearly all of them with my friends.

Turning X-men legends into an online MMO/ARPG is almost a stroke of genius. People are not happy with Diablo 3 and I wouldn't be surprised if this was held back if D3 launched successfully. Presenting the market with a superhero diablo isn't a terrible idea. The thought of playing the game to unlock new characters is kind of exciting. You can get many more playthroughs by having rare collection drops for unlocking new chars rather than farming for gold or boring items.

I personally and honestly couldn't tell you what made me stop playing COH/CO (quest grind) some people can handle it but I wasn't one of those. I haven't tried DCUO but have been interested in the past. The best thing I can think of is that a lot of us are sick of stale MMOs and Marvel did not have enough new ideas/gimmicks to sustain a genuine MMO structure (which is slowly decaying)

tl:dr   Marvel does not want to be compared to COH/CO/DCUO.

Marvel did not have enough ideas for a new superhero MMO to be viable.

Diablo 3 failed.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

the reason why the people who played Diablo 3 assume its a failure is because they expect it to play like a MMO. When in all actuality it is a single player linear hack and slash dungeon crawler the only end game for games like that is to kill the final boss. once gamers understand this you will see the number of complaints decrease. i highly doubt that will happen seeing that the vocal minority always likes to complain over anything.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by akiira69

the reason why the people who played Diablo 3 assume its a failure is because they expect it to play like a MMO. When in all actuality it is a single player linear hack and slash dungeon crawler the only end game for games like that is to kill the final boss. once gamers understand this you will see the number of complaints decrease. i highly doubt that will happen seeing that the vocal minority always likes to complain over anything.

People expected Diablo 3 to be an APRG not a MMOARPG.  The game has more similar elements to a MMO than it does to an APRG.

The dev team instead of expanding and improving on an already gold winning game they took it and did nothing with it.  Diablo 3 is not even a true sequal in any sense besides it keeping the name Diablo. 

Your forced into acts, every character is the same.  Itemization in that game is a complete joke.  The gear its self are just stat boosts, and the difference between crap and usable items is the size of the grand canyon.  

The game has no end game.  No incentive to create more than one character with the time it takes to build up even one character. You litterally farm to get better stats.  

Not to mention the constant nerfs to classes and items in a single player PvE game.

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

Overall as a general rule of thumb, once an IP or game has proven successful, other titles or sequels based on it will be more focused on captializing and profit versus actually trying to make a good game.

If you take awake the IP aspect of these games and just look at the gameplay and level of detail I seem to find most are really terrible and wouldn't garner a second look from others.

• chase17tnchase17tn Member Posts: 93
    You might not like being able to play as marvel heros but i do and this gives them a chance to put out more of the char's we would never get to play as in the ps3/xbox360 games for free.I dont care for making my own char to play as and i dont wanna team up with a char i cant play as.

made by nonny
    and
    made by Braggi

thanks both u guys

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by akiira69

When then Cryptic Studios and NCsoft America announced they would be making City of Heroes a super hero MMO I thought it was a great idea. At that same time I was wondering how long would it be till DC Comics and Marvel Comics make their own MMO. Then DC Comics teamed up with Sony Online Entertainment to make DC Universe Online a decent little MMO where we could team up with known DC Comics super heroes. Then Cartoon Network decided to make the browser game Fusion Fall also a decent little game to play. WHile all this is happening NCsoft bought City of Heroes/City of Villains from Cryptic Studios. Also at that same Marvel Announced that they were teaming up with Microsoft and Cryptic Studios to create Marvel Universe Online. Shortly after this announcement for some strange reason Marvel and Micosoft got into a pissing contest and the MMO was canceled. Cryptic Studios then took the ideas they had for MUO and created Champions Online. Years then passed with no Marvel MMO then came Marvel Announced Marvel Super Hero Squad Online a crappy game based off of a crappy cartoon. And now Marvel announces another crappy MMO where instead of making our own Super Hero we have to use already known super hero in a Diablo-esq style game play. When will Marvel finally come out with a Super Hero MMO that rival DCUO Champions Online and City of Heroes?

Everyone I know that played DCUO (including me) had the same complaint:

Why am I playing errand-boy for Robin? Is this game mocking me? When do I get to meet Batman? Can I play Batman?

Fact is, most people don't want to play Sidekick38127. They don't want to play characters with powers -similar- to the Flash, they want to play -The Flash-

DCUO, on its own, as a game, and mechanically, while flawed, is a good game. But since its licensed under DC and you encounter all your favorite heroes, you want to actually play -them- not play -with them-

Marvel will fill that need with their "MMO"

Honestly, even if this is only Ultimate Alliance with online multiplayer and some hub-trading, it would already be worth it, because UA was pretty good.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

lol I love the concept of Marvel Heroes and i really really really cant wait to play it. Looks freakin awesome and playing my favorite Marvel characters is freakin uber.

Do people play The Amazing Spiderman game and complain that they only play as Spiderman? Of freakin course not.

DCUO is the best F2P game out right now. =)

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• boss1313boss1313 Member Posts: 2

I agree with you about DCUO, however, unfortunately SOE is/has destroyed/ing the game. It seems like they have gone out of their way to completely abandon people how have dumped gobs of money into it and only focus on how many new free-to-play subscribers they can get. I played they game since closed BETA and have only recently been forced to stop along with well over 100 of my longtime friends who were considered to be some of the upper echelon of the elite players on the PS3 servers.

The main reason for us stopping was that none of us could continue to justify dumping time & money into a game where the developers seemingly don’t care about the people that are paying the bills to keep the game going, and for no apparent reason can ever give straight forward feedback to any of its paying subscribers. SOE constantly penalize the long standing community every time a new group of players can’t seem to get the game down and continue to dumb it down to where it is your basic console experience; which completely goes against every idea for an MMO or RPG that I have ever heard of or been a part of. Apparently from doing extensive research this is SOE’s motive in every game they produce; make as much money of anyone no matter what it means to the integrity of the game or its content.

SOE has focused on making a system where every player is equal no matter how long you have played (whether it be 2 days or 2 years) or how much effort that you have put forth. There is no chance to become elite with skill or gear, and if you start to become elite they just give out the things you and your fellow league mates have worked for years to obtain in a matter of days to anyone who is willing to pay for it. The same issues have gone unanswered or unfixed since the day it came out, and unfortunately my love for the comic books & comic based games could not keep me playing any longer.

I am super happy that Gazillion picked up Marvel Heroes for the simple fact that they will not put any game out that they do not test and work on tirelessly to give its players the ultimate experience, and I really look forward to playing it for a long time.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

But... I was under the impression that this was a Diablo style game, not an MMO.

Are there people claiming this is an MMO?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

But... I was under the impression that this was a Diablo style game, not an MMO.

I heard there are some persistent world zones. But personally i wouldn't care less. This GAME sounds good.

- i can play actual marvel characters .. huge plus. DCUO turned me off exactly because i have to play some unknown dude.

- Diablo type game play. Much better combat than the standard MMO combat.

As long as it is Marvel Ultimate Alliance online, i am happy. Whether it has a "world" or not, is irelevant to me.

• vickter420vickter420 Member UncommonPosts: 37

This is why MMOs are going the route of SWTOR and why SWG went its route. Why do you want to play AS Batman or Wolverine in a MMO??? Dont you find it silly when you see a team of Spider-mans? Oh right but different costome so thats okay. How about this crazy idea you build up a new super hero (or villian)  start from nothing and build your OWN legend?

Through PVP, PVE, helping people or messing with them theres many other ways to make your char. feel like a badass just the current formula doesnt allow for anything off rails. (in any game really atm)  I always liked building my own charactor and not being stuck with a templete but guess thats just me.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    This is what will drive me away from this site, a site called MMORPG.com should not be about games like this. You have a great site address and dilute its appeal.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

You didn't hear? Everything is an MMO now. My fucking shoe laces are now considered an MMO. Cool stuff, huh?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    To be fair, I never even thought Marvel Heroes looked Diablo-esque, but I can definitely see that now. If anything, I would've immediately compared Marvel Heroes to be an online version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance or X-Men Legends...
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    This is what will drive me away from this site, a site called MMORPG.com should not be about games like this. You have a great site address and dilute its appeal.

It's really starting to get out of hand. I come here to learn about and discuss MMOs, not to get news on every MOBA or ARPG that comes out. The effect this has had on the forums is quite noticeable; we have members that drag these types of titles in nearly every one of their posts, which in turn derails every thread they grace with their prescence. It's a shame.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

What's with the butthurt people crying about mmorpg.com featuring mmo's on their site? Just because it doesn't fit your subjective opinion of what defines an mmo? Please get over yourself, it would be great if you just got "driven away" like you claim.

As for Marvel...if it really is an online version of  X-men legends/Marvel UA..I will prob try it out. Im not gonna expect much though.

Originally posted by nukempro

What's with the butthurt people crying about mmorpg.com featuring mmo's on their site? Just because it doesn't fit your subjective opinion of what defines an mmo?

It's not subjective. It was firmly established what an MMO is back when the term was coined. This website just ignores it so it can get more ad revenue, and developers ignore it so they can justify their billing plans.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

What's with the butthurt people crying about mmorpg.com featuring mmo's on their site? Just because it doesn't fit your subjective opinion of what defines an mmo?

It's not subjective. It was firmly established what an MMO is back when the term was coined. This website just ignores it so it can get more ad revenue, and developers ignore it so they can justify their billing plans.

Lol, right...and what authority was it that "firmly established" what defines an mmo? What your saying would make sense if MMORPG.com was the only site/group/person/publication that happens to disagree with you. But as i'm sure you already know there are just as many if not more people that disagree with your "firmly established" definiton of what an mmo is. But hey as I said, it's subjective so you are entitled to think what you like. Although, if I where you, I would leave this evil money grubbing site as soon as possible. I heard wall street is in need of some occupying!

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Its not really a MMO.

Its more of a ARPG with a portion of the game opened to a large group.

Its simplistic, the class trees dont add much to each hero and it looks to be cashing in on selling Heroes and costumes at an inflated price.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

MMORPG should just put a standard thread in every new games forums that reads we the mmorpg posters think this game is going to fail because blah blah blah.

It would save you losers from having to type it for every game.

Lol, right...and what authority was it that "firmly established"

By the companies that invented the genre.

Lol, right...and what authority was it that "firmly established"

By the companies that invented the genre.

You mean EA and Sony?

ANd who cares what they say if the industry use the term differently.

It does not really how you classify this game .. it is close enough to a MMO, if not a MMO.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by AdamTM

Fact is, most people don't want to play Sidekick38127. They don't want to play characters with powers -similar- to the Flash, they want to play -The Flash-

Actually the "fact" is the exact opposite if you read the common feedback from people on various mmo sites, people absolutely love to create their own super heroes, not to mention it's the very core feature of RPG's, especially in multiplayer where it's incredibly stupid to run around with a bunch of cloned spider men.

Taking marvel heroes as some little action game that appeals for few weeks, sure it could be fun to fool around as some of the familiar heroes you like from the comics, could have been diablo style singleplayer game to begin with since there's not even an optional charcter creation.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

fail or not, its a f2p game. lol

Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by AdamTM

Actually the "fact" is the exact opposite if you read the common feedback from people on various mmo sites, people absolutely love to create their own super heroes, not to mention it's the very core feature of RPG's, especially in multiplayer where it's incredibly stupid to run around with a bunch of cloned spider men.

Taking marvel heroes as some little action game that appeals for few weeks, sure it could be fun to fool around as some of the familiar heroes you like from the comics, could have been diablo style singleplayer game to begin with since there's not even an optional charcter creation.

The "fact" is that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 are very successful games, and this is no different from an online version of that.