Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard to ignore the posts

2»

Comments

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104
    I guess it's because this game ain't even worth the time "trolling" and booing about, it's "probably the sandbox you'll never play" for a lot of people, outdated graphics and gameplay, not, even, worth, the time, mentionning, there's other real cats to whip out there than another piece of... nothing game.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Is this the sandbox everyone has been waiting for?

Not me. I am not at all a fan of the setting and the whole martial-arts-on-a-wire thing.

ArcheAge is the sandbox I'm waiting for - more traditional fantasy sandbox with Eastern flavor.

Just curious old friend, have you played it yet?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by bcbully

Not me. I am not at all a fan of the setting and the whole martial-arts-on-a-wire thing.

ArcheAge is the sandbox I'm waiting for - more traditional fantasy sandbox with Eastern flavor.

No, too busy w/ EvE at the moment and I can't stress enough just how completely uninterested I am in the whole Martial Arts wire fighting Eastern setting thing.

Originally posted by imagina
    I guess it's because this game ain't even worth the time "trolling" and booing about, it's "probably the GREATEST sandbox you'll never play" for a lot of people, outdated graphics and gameplay, not, even, worth, the time, mentionning, there's other real cats to whip out there than another piece of... nothing game.

fixed that for you. you misquoted the Massively.com article. 

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Thanks for the answers graykodiak and bcbully.  They were really helpful.  Kodiak's school descriptions were pretty hilarious.

One last question: 

Can a guild be comprised of all 8 schools or is there a line drawn between Good/Neutral/Evil factions?

Edit:  I am thinking I might play a Royal Guard or Emei.....cant decide.

Originally posted by bcbully

No, too busy w/ EvE at the moment and I can't stress enough just how completely uninterested I am in the whole Martial Arts wire fighting Eastern setting thing.

lmao no doubt man. I still hope you get the chance to give it ago. If can  hold your breath for a day or two, you may find a lot of what your looking for. ;)

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    Wow, so this isn't just another poorly made P2W grinder? Hmmm, if it's free to try it out...I might just do that.
    Originally posted by Maephisto

Thanks for the answers graykodiak and bcbully.  They were really helpful.  Kodiak's school descriptions were pretty hilarious.

One last question: 

Can a guild be comprised of all 8 schools or is there a line drawn between Good/Neutral/Evil factions?

Guilds are any school. You'll run into situation where you'll ask yourself, "School above guild, or guild above school?" Schools are kinda like a guild themselves, but looser.

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I was the same way at first.  I thought the game looked amazing, that it could keep my intereste for a few months.  After playing about 30 hours and really giving the game a chance, I couldn't take it anymore.  So much is wrong with the game for me, and it just isn't for me.  Good luck on your adventure though, that you may find it fun, however, dont pay any money into the game until you really give it some time to sink in.
  • django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115
    The game is great. If you love the setting, you'll love this. The learning curve is steep, so pay attention to all the tutorials at first. There are some things that will put people off, such as open PvP, I'm still trying to get my head around the rules since I got ganked by my own scholar. There is a noob protection system though which will go away when you level up your inner strength through leveling your internal skills. Try to get into a guild though, more experienced players will be your best source of information.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I have seen several posts about this game not only on this forum, but several others that I follow. Apparently the Beta is going fantastic and I have yet to see one strictly negative post about this game. I have seen negative comments, but they come along with a positive experience post from the poster.

Is this the sandbox everyone has been waiting for? I'm starting to get a little hyped up about this game and I just heard abou it a few days ago.

From what I have read so far this could be the sleeper MMO that many have been waiting for. Might have to give it a try.

I see zero reason to allow myself to get hyped up by any game.  Wait and see...

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by waynejr2

I have seen several posts about this game not only on this forum, but several others that I follow. Apparently the Beta is going fantastic and I have yet to see one strictly negative post about this game. I have seen negative comments, but they come along with a positive experience post from the poster.

Is this the sandbox everyone has been waiting for? I'm starting to get a little hyped up about this game and I just heard abou it a few days ago.

From what I have read so far this could be the sleeper MMO that many have been waiting for. Might have to give it a try.

I see zero reason to allow myself to get hyped up by any game.  Wait and see...

I agree no need for hype, it's a game, you might enjoy it, I am.

Why get hyped about a game you can download and play for free (unlimited on Russian server, time constraint on NA) just download and see.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    @Maephisto   this game is as casual as 9dragons, now they have very small part of content
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by tet666

True even in very populated cities its playable on my old rig on ultra settings where i rly struggled with the fps in gw2 , rift and swtor.

I have had very good frame rates with my older computer and graphics card too. I think the coders have done an exceptional job with the graphics engine.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Word of advice to new players: dont even try to play this game as WoW or LoTRO - doing as many quests as you can, grinding dungeons. Stop right there. Try to explore the world and engage in many PvP activities: school wars, clan wars, spying, patrolling, caravan fights, boss defending, etc. Plan which other school/world abilities you want for your character and try to get them - it will make you busy for quite some time. Learn how to fight. It looks easy but becoming a master going to be a long long road.
  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Maephisto

One last question: 

One thing my description failed to mention was the flavor of each school, you can basically pieace together a full set of another schools skill given a lot...lot..of time. But each school also has its own atmosphere and zone for doing a lot of your day to day stuff like team practice and spy missions and patrols in.

Wudang lives in a taoist mountain retreat, so do the shaolin but the shaolin have A LOT OF DAMN STAIRS. They remind me of the main character in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or, for shaolin, the wandering monk in countless film and books.These guys are the good guys, either taoist or buddhist depending on the sect but both are the militant arm of religious beliefs.

Tangman, ninja. What ninja is japan? Ok whatever dude, these guys live in a reclusive mountain castle with a strict family structure and deal in poisons and throwing darts...they constantly say things like "we do not attack, we kill and fade away". The school has the feel of a group in self enforced seclusion..lots of shadows in the ravines here. Scholars have a waterfall, Emei have a waterfall, but only the tangman watch someone get poisoned and tossed off the side of the cliff next to said waterfall in the first school story.

Scholars and Emei have a lot in common but the Scholars live in an area with nice peaceful pools and the Emei are up in a mountain area with great looking valleys around the school zone. The scholars remind me of either the two assasins in Hero in the calligraphy school or maybe just some aloof anime character who says some cryptic line from a poem and then wades into a group of people slashing away.

Valley also has a very nice looking areas but the evil valley has a giant shrine to some evil diety of some sort in the middle of all that nice looking area. These guys just remind me of your classic kung fu bad guys, evil poison using, and into dark dark things. The school outfit shows a lot of tattoos and the blades they use are comically large.

Royal Guard is another evil sect, less chaotic evil than valley more lawful evil, doing the bidding of the corrupt government and living in a fortress. Straight up gestapo the long arm of the evil law gets even longer when you give them a rope with a damn hook on the end of it.

Beggars sect school is a run down shanty town in the middle of a dust bowl storm. These guys are the exact opposite of the Royal Guard...the guard is all about oppresion while the Beggars are the everyman who picks up a stick a bottle of rice wine and kicks some bully's ass, even if that bully is a government official. Beggars are everywhere because its not just a wushu sect its a way of life.

The alignment system is not tied into your school, so you can be a good valley person or an evil monk but the feel of each zone is different and the starting quests are different depending on your choice, sometimes the translations fail to convey this or you skip past them because they cause your brain to melt. But it is there.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Can someone give me some more info about this game; I really want to try it out coming from an EvE mindset--seeing as this was compared to it. I really wanted to try it on my own, but the time restricted to an hour.. doesn't let me make up my mind. I'd like to support this game if it is what I expect.

Can someone explain to me how this is like EvE? How does the crafting system work? Is the economy player-driven? 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Sora2810Can someone give me some more info about this game; I really want to try it out coming from an EvE mindset--seeing as this was compared to it. I really wanted to try it on my own, but the time restricted to an hour.. doesn't let me make up my mind. I'd like to support this game if it is what I expect.Can someone explain to me how this is like EvE? How does the crafting system work? Is the economy player-driven? 

There isn't really anything "EVE-like" about the game. The progression is strictly linear - get levels and gear, join end game(PVP and raids). The only difference is you do not progress through usual story line quests or killing mobs.

Crafting system is very simple and meaningless with F2P alts, imo. Also, it is depending on recipe drops - without those you only produce what NPC sell.

The game is still very unusual and have interesting features but nothing remotely close to EVE....

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Sora2810

Can someone give me some more info about this game; I really want to try it out coming from an EvE mindset--seeing as this was compared to it. I really wanted to try it on my own, but the time restricted to an hour.. doesn't let me make up my mind. I'd like to support this game if it is what I expect.

Can someone explain to me how this is like EvE? How does the crafting system work? Is the economy player-driven? 

Yes it is like Eve mainly in the time based progression side if you have VIP status you can level off line,if not F2P can level but only when online but the game is also all player based economy which is a bit like Eve I suppose.

But look for the ,Totally free Wushu post  shows how to play unrestricted on Russian servers with a modified English client so you get a feel for the game.

p>
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Gdemami

There isn't really anything "EVE-like" about the game.

You mean except for the freeform skill/leveling system, the player-driven economy, the open PvP world, the guild vs guild conflicts, the multiple available playstyle options and the overall complexity of the game?

Yeah, totally non-EVE-like.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Biskop

You mean except

No, not except - despite.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

Originally posted by Sora2810

There isn't really anything "EVE-like" about the game. The progression is strictly linear - get levels and gear, join end game(PVP and raids). The only difference is you do not progress through usual story line quests or killing mobs.

Crafting system is very simple and meaningless with F2P alts, imo. Also, it is depending on recipe drops - without those you only produce what NPC sell.

The game is still very unusual and have interesting features but nothing remotely close to EVE....

The progression is linear only until you reach the point of intergrating other skills into your routine for a unique (or even cookie cutter from the web) play style.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by Biskop

You mean except

No, not except - despite.

So you agree that the game has a lot of EVE-like features, yet you claim it's not like EVE at all.

Care to elaborate?