Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: Suzie's Games of 2013

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week we took a look back at the year that was and listed our favorite games. This week we turn to the year ahead and the games that have us sitting on pins and needles in anticipation. Each staff member will have his (or her!) day and we move on to Suzie for our series' final installment. See what's got Suzie all of a dither and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

I am sitting here looking at the list of likely games to be released in 2013 and tapping my fingers as I consider which ones I am most anxious to see firsthand. A quick glance reveals that there is the usual collection of “big name” titles and, of course, the smaller “indie” titles all clamoring for my attention with the year barely over a week old. What to choose? There are really very few on this year’s list that don’t interest me and it would be very easy to just say, “DITTO” to the lists compiled by my co-workers earlier in the week. Yet in the best interest of being the last one to offer an article around the games that I am personally most looking forward to playing, I’ve decided to veer onto the road less travelled with my list, centering particularly on more independent studios working on MOARPGs, my own term for Massive Online Action RPGs. 

Read more of Suzie's Games of 2013.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Honestly, I couldn't make a top 5 list this year. There are only 3 titles I have enough interest in to list:

1. Defiance ( despite a lack of interest by the general MMO player, this is #1 for me).

2. The Repopulation ( sandbox PvE with involved crafting? Yes, please.)

3. Wildstar ( the paths look like a unique idea and I dig the humor enough to overlook the less than exciting art style.)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Wildstar is the only mmo im looking forward to this year but fun to read other peoples lists
  • ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Still no vote for ArcheAge, I guess it won't get much airtime here.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

I think it's because there's probably very little chance that AA will come to the west in 2013.  2014 seems a lot more likely.

As far as the list is concerned, I'll definitely agree with Neverwinter.  Really looking forward to that game, along with a few others.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Rohn

I think it's because there's probably very little chance that AA will come to the west in 2013.  2014 seems a lot more likely.

As far as the list is concerned, I'll definitely agree with Neverwinter.  Really looking forward to that game, along with a few others.

Borderlands/EQNext 2013?

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Borderlands/EQNext 2013?

will see some info about EQN at fanfaire in October but the game probably wont launch til 2014 at the earliest

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Neverwinter and ESO are really the only two I might actually buy.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

"My one true concession to big name games is Cryptic’s Neverwinter."

I'm not sure that I can call anything Cryptic does a "big name game" anymore after their last two launches. Neverwinter is a big IP of sorts but it still remains to be seen what Cryptic will do with it.  Thankfully, the videos they've shown don't look too much like their cookie-cutter MMO engine they used for CO/STO. 

Originally posted by Nadia

Borderlands/EQNext 2013?

will see some info about EQN at fanfaire in October but the game probably wont launch til 2014 at the earliest

That was my point, the guy above said ArcheAge shouldn't be in these lists as a 2013 release was not that likely so I posted those examples.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    ArcheAge is on my list, personally. But I'm betting it's not 2013 that we'll see it in the US. I do expect we'll know who's publishing it here soon, but I'd be amazed if the localization happened that fast.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    ArcheAge is on my list, personally. But I'm betting it's not 2013 that we'll see it in the US. I do expect we'll know who's publishing it here soon, but I'd be amazed if the localization happened that fast.

You think EQNext will release in 2013 though?

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I used a cheat in that list, and added it because I expect to hear some pretty awesome details about it in 2013.  I even admitted to cheating on the list in the article.  :P

Also, it's the top "five" games I'm watching in 2013. ArcheAge isn't quite that high for me. Full 10, including games that won't be necessarily released today?

1.) EQNext (I'm just dying to know what it's going to be all about).

2.) Neverwinter

3.) Defiance

4.) Elder Scrolls Online

5.) Darkfall: UW

6.) Origins of Malu

7.) Firefall (finally releasing will be nice)

8.) Wildstar Online (would be higher if I knew more!)

9.) ArcheAge

10.) Titan (I expect this to be the year it's unveiled, but not sure it'll be worth the wait.)

Hell, I could go on, but what's the point of just listing everything?  That's why we kept it to five games for the year.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

MMO's I am looking for:

1. Neverwinter
    2. Elder Scrolls Online
    3. Titan*
    4. -
    5. -
    *= only because I don't know what it is and I'm curious.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61

Star Bound

DayZ - official stand alone

Those are my two most anticipated, and none of the columnists mentions either of them.  Oh well.  I guess neither are really "massively" multiplyer, just largely multiplayer..  that grey area.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Cryptic cannot make good MMOs and Neverwinter will be no exception.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Please keep us informed Suzie....It looks like alot of good games coming out this year that we'd like to try.
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Never thought that one of the editors would actually have City of Steam on the radar. It's the first game, after many years, which made me say "oh, these guys know what they're doing". Can't wait for open beta. As for Path of Exile, i've been beta-ing it for a long time now, i feel that it lacks the complexity it could have. It creates the sensation of a "true" Diablo sequel but actually there is not much choice involved considering the skill tree, the heart of the game. It's either you make the right choice or you don't.
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

1) Everquest 3

2) ArchAge

3) Neverwinter

4) Dragon's Prophet

5) FFXIV and Age of Wushu tied

ESO didn't make my list because I'm not too impressed about how they're going about developing it at this point. I've heard a couple game-hindering implementations so far, but nothing game-breaking.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138

1) Neverwinter

2) Starbound

3) Phantasy Star Online 2

4) City of Steam

5) Path of Exile

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

From my sources from Korea, its coming to both NA and EU this year, the publisher (still unnamed) should be making an announcement soon, at which point we'll know who will be publishing the game and their release schedule.

Archeage is my top 2013 mmorpg

Defiance is my top 2013 shooter/action MMO

Whoever said project Titan above - the game is slated for 2015 or later release

DMKano, please PLEASE be telling the truth. Please, I beg of you kind sir, don't mess with our minds!

If you do truly have a 'contact' with AA info, and the date is correct, that would be freaking awesome.....FREAKING awesome.

I just dont see how any MMOer could not have this game at the top of their play list....

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

Uh, um, forgot to put my list up...

1. ArchAge

2.ArchAge

3.ArchAge

4.ArchAge

5.Go ahead, guess........

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    the more people who play Darkfall the better the game will be

the original wasnt even that full of gankers, you just hear the vocal minority

and for every ganker there was a guy nearby who could help out usually

be the change

Sandbox 2013, stop buying these theme park M-M-NOs and play something that actually is challenging