Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

you ALL must SEE this! .. O.o

spirus7spirus7 Member UncommonPosts: 142

/droolz

“uses the appearance and the geometry of the room  to adapt the projected visuals in real-time without any need to custom pre-process the graphics.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1EatGRV0w

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Saw that. Pretty cool tech, just hope MS doesn't stick with gimmicks only though. They should license it.

• spirus7spirus7 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    imagine what we will see in the next 5 years or so .. =D
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    That was distracting as hell for me, but it's still cool to see MS working on new tech.  They are starting to remind me of the way HP used to be, with R&D.

You make me like charity

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Kinda gimicky, but cool at the same time.  I would only trust this in the hands of some trully talented people.

Its kind of like 3D Movies.  When James Cameron does it, it looks great.  When some random action flick uses it, it induces nausea and headaches.

Why not just get a projector screen and play that way?  Am I missing something?

Like you said though, I am curious to see how this evolves years from now.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I don't like console systems, but this looks really cool.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

As someone who uses Eyefinity, I wouldn't find that distracting or tough to get used to at all.  I find it an impressive tech that will likely be inexpensive and easy to use with multiple options per game.

It would be distracting if you were playing a game and trying to stare at your walls while doing so.  As someone who has used eyefintiy for years now I know that when you want to see something in the peripheral display area, you move the view of the game (camera, reticle) towards that direction.

People said Eyefinity was distracting because they were staring at a far corner of the side monitor and didn't like that.  They are the ones who had never played with it though, and didn't understand that you don't play a game by staring off into space.

Just like in real life when you want to see something in the peripheral view of your sight, you move your sights focus to center it.  You look left, for example.  Most people do not drive cars by staring out the passenger window the entire time, just as in Eyefinity and IllumiRoom you wouldn't play Forza by staring at your bookshelves.

What the tech does is add a bit of fun immersion, a bit more extension to the game world depending on settings probably.

There are some who are very quick to say "Just get a projector same thing hurrrrrrrrrrr" and those are the people I would love to invite over and have them rearrange my furniture so that I had a place for a projector.

A projector is NOT the same thing.  Neither is a bigger TV.

A projector would have your minimap in the corner of the room near the floor, illumiroom has it in the corner of the tv with the game world extending.

A 100" Ultra High Definition TV would be great, but it still could not make snowflakes appear to be falling where my bookshelves are.

This illumiroom keeps the game UI where its been, lets you toggle effects per game, and on and off, and extends additional viewable effects to the room without horrible distortion, without rearranging your furniture.

Originally posted by Maephisto

Why not just get a projector screen and play that way?  Am I missing something?

Use a projector in the room featured in that video without rearranging furniture.  Then try to find your non-distorted UI elements like the corner minimap, ammo count, health display, depending on game.

Do you think that'd be the same as what you saw?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

First step towards a holodeck experience.

Might be just a little gimmick right now.. but it's opening new possibilities.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

As someone who uses Eyefinity, I wouldn't find that distracting or tough to get used to at all.  I find it an impressive tech that will likely be inexpensive and easy to use with multiple options per game.

It would be distracting if you were playing a game and trying to stare at your walls while doing so.  As someone who has used eyefintiy for years now I know that when you want to see something in the peripheral display area, you move the view of the game (camera, reticle) towards that direction.

People said Eyefinity was distracting because they were staring at a far corner of the side monitor and didn't like that.  They are the ones who had never played with it though, and didn't understand that you don't play a game by staring off into space.

Just like in real life when you want to see something in the peripheral view of your sight, you move your sights focus to center it.  You look left, for example.  Most people do not drive cars by staring out the passenger window the entire time, just as in Eyefinity and IllumiRoom you wouldn't play Forza by staring at your bookshelves.

What the tech does is add a bit of fun immersion, a bit more extension to the game world depending on settings probably.

There are some who are very quick to say "Just get a projector same thing hurrrrrrrrrrr" and those are the people I would love to invite over and have them rearrange my furniture so that I had a place for a projector.

A projector would have your minimap in the corner of the room near the floor, illumiroom has it in the corner of the tv with the game world extending.

A 100" Ultra High Definition TV would be great, but it still could not make snowflakes appear to be falling where my bookshelves are.

This illumiroom keeps the game UI where its been, lets you toggle effects per game, and on and off, and extends additional viewable effects to the room without horrible distortion, without rearranging your furniture.

Not everyone is the same, especially with regards to visuals. Im sure some will find it more annoying and distracting than usefull or neat.

Originally posted by Kuppa

Not everyone is the same, especially with regards to visuals. Im sure some will find it more annoying and distracting than usefull or neat.

Yes you are right.  I was mainly writing with regards to people who had never even tried anything like it but wrote it off immediately for the wrong reasons.  If you try something like Eyefinity and hate it, find it motion-sickness inducing, then this illumiroom would probably not be good, true.

Some would find it that way, others of course would enjoy it.

However depending on the game and settings, I'm sure the snowflake mario kart (nintendo game in MS demo!) bit wouldn't be so bad.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Reminds me of a home adaptation of the CAVE concept.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Yes you are right.  I was mainly writing with regards to people who had never even tried anything like it but wrote it off immediately for the wrong reasons.  If you try something like Eyefinity and hate it, find it motion-sickness inducing, then this illumiroom would probably not be good, true.

However depending on the game and settings, I'm sure the snowflake mario kart (nintendo game in MS demo!) bit wouldn't be so bad.

That mario kart one was the coolest!

That wasn't Mario Kart.. just throwing that out there!

The last one looked the best to me. Where shooting the gun caused vibration effects across the room.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Can't even get kinnect to properly recognize gestures, I'm so sure this will work great.  It hinges on proper room scanning, that and probably a really expensive projector.

And I assume games have to support this as well.

Is that a snow pun?

Yeah I liked that one as well though.  It was a very simple effect - just generic snowflakes falling around the room.  Simple, but probably the least distracting one and still would probably get onlookers to say "wow, that's cool"

Originally posted by Vannor

Ah ok.  So what game was it?  I saw what looked like karts and a banana peel in the road.  If you know the actual game though, why not tell us?

Ah ok.  So what game was it?  I saw what looked like karts and a banana peel in the road.  If you know the actual game though, why not tell us?

No idea what game it was :)

Ok.  Well did you know the one with what appeared to be a Needler wasn't any kind of Halo game too?

I know it wasn't Halo despite looking like it, but have no idea what game it would be.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Very sweet.

But I noticed that 1st person still shows no nose, glasses, arms, feet. No peripheral vision displayed at all, which is what bugs me about 1st person.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Ok.  Well did you know the one with what appeared to be a Needler wasn't any kind of Halo game too?

I know it wasn't Halo despite looking like it, but have no idea what game it would be.

Looks like they are all just concept examples to me.. not real games.

Looks like they are all just concept examples to me.. not real games.

I would have guessed more along the lines of game code they had easy access to and could alter for use with this.  I mean let's be honest, that was a Needler, and that bridge with the glass windows to walk on was clearly used in Halo games.  So to say it's a concept example and not a real game... ok?

Yeah the code for the effects is probably not already in Halo 1, obviously.  But I wouldn't say what we saw was not real games, rather games with code changed and added to use the illumiroom.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Very sweet.

But I noticed that 1st person still shows no nose, glasses, arms, feet. No peripheral vision displayed at all, which is what bugs me about 1st person.

8)

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

Very sweet.

Ah interesting.  What were those fleshy apendages holding the guns in the video while the view was in first person?

Many first person view games let you look and see your feet, or have your arms displayed.  I'm not sure how your nose would be displayed though, considering the human brain makes it see through unless you close one eye or cross your eyes and look down.

I hope I have not offended you if you have a handicap of one working eye, or are permanently cross eyed and looking down.  I realize people want games they can relate to so I appologize if you are disabled and want games with a large portion of the screen taken up by a side view of a nose.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    i really dislike that, to me the visuals outside the screen ( the ones projected on the walls ) looks terrible and i think its only a distraction for the gamer to focus on the actual gameplay.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Very sweet.But I noticed that 1st person still shows no nose, glasses, arms, feet. No peripheral vision displayed at all, which is what bugs me about 1st person.
    Ah interesting.  What were those fleshy apendages holding the guns in the video while the view was in first person?Many first person view games let you look and see your feet, or have your arms displayed.  I'm not sure how your nose would be displayed though, considering the human brain makes it see through unless you close one eye or cross your eyes and look down.I hope I have not offended you if you have a handicap of one working eye, or are permanently cross eyed and looking down.  I realize people want games they can relate to so I appologize if you are disabled and want games with a large portion of the screen taken up by a side view of a nose.
    LOL No offense taken here :) I am not so handicapped :)

My point is that 1st person view shows about 15-20% of what I can see in real life. That much limiting of my field of view is what bugs me. I should mention that I despise driving behind trucks because I cannot see the road ahead of me :)

Ah yes. Those appendages. I believe they are called hands? LOL And I think almost all 1st person views show those :) When holding a gun, I can see my biceps, not just my hands. I can see the rims of my glasses. Maybe you don't wear glasses? 1st person views are just so limited.

Back to the demo, though. That was a cool demo!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR