Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Themepark or not?

What do you think?

(The best way to start a good debate is for the OP to not disclose her opinion)

Comments

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    themepark and going to pass it
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Themepark.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

No debate?

Start debating!

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    my whole steam list says it's a themepark too just for shits and giggles i put it out there for you
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

No debate?

Start debating!

I don't take orders and demands very well!  J/k

I hope it's kind of a hybrid.  

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    As someone who has played it for several hours: themepark.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Well, that's a /thread if I ever saw one hehe

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

does it do anything different that makes it feel fresh, or the same old stuff rehashed in a different environment

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I can't believe someone even needs to suggest it's open for debate.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'd call it a themepark.  To me it sounds like a mix of GW2 and DAOC.  In one of the interviews with Matt Firor, he described it as an MMO to bring MMO fans and TES fans together in a single game.  It's my guess he wasn't talking about fans of UO or early SWG.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Yep. There's not much to debate. I was excited about the game until I actually started to read about it. You don't even need to read between the lines to see that it's an Elder Scrolls flavored WoW knockoff. It could have been amazing if they had modeled it off Eve Online, but as it stands I probably won't even download the trial.

<3

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Themepark, like Skyrim without the freedom and the combat, not sure what that leaves apart from a IP

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    Themepark, like Skyrim without the freedom and the combat, not sure what that leaves apart from a IP

I've read/heard from people that have played the game that the combat is very Skyrim like. Just with a limited hotbar. Mouse buttons for each hand. Hold mouse button to build up a power hit using stamina.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by immodium

I've read/heard from people that have played the game that the combat is very Skyrim like. Just with a limited hotbar. Mouse buttons for each hand. Hold mouse button to build up a power hit using stamina.

Skyrim was pointed in the right direction, no need to take steps backwards, pigeonhold classes, obviously a downgrade in graphics...sorry now I'm just being negative. I'll just STFU and go back to Skyrim, my bad.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

It's a themepark with several sandbox elements (almost a hybrid). Once they add in the player housing (hopefully in an upcoming expansion), I'll consider it to be a true hybrid.

Unfortunately, as soon as a game is declared a themepark on this site, any sandbox elements it has get ignored.

And as to the Hotbar issue, I feel like I'm repeating myself but it repairs repeating. In an MMO you can NOT pause the game to switch out your spells so a hotbar of some type is a MUST.  The only difference between having a hotbar in the mmo and a favorites in skyrim is that in the MMO you will actually be able to see your favorites. You won't be able to click on the skills on the hotbar since the mouse buttons are for combat.

• DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36

I am surprised than none so far has posted the so commonly seen here phrase “define sandbox” ….

As on the topic IMHO pure themepark 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Open world free roaming themepark with sandbox elements.

Like daoc and skyrim
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by Dartmed

I am surprised than none so far has posted the so commonly seen here phrase “define sandbox” ….

As on the topic IMHO pure themepark 

ESO= themepark whit sandbox elements

what we truely seek is a sandbox whit themepark elements.  :P

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Unfortunately, it's a themepark, and I will have to pass.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Trionicus
    Originally posted by immodium

Skyrim was pointed in the right direction, no need to take steps backwards, pigeonhold classes, obviously a downgrade in graphics...sorry now I'm just being negative. I'll just STFU and go back to Skyrim, my bad.

Of course the graphics are downgraded.  Unless you want to buy a brand new rig to play it without have FPS drop thru the basement.  Is a Deion that will allow mor people to play it, therefore more sales which equal more profit. 

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Like daoc and skyrim

How is 3 Faction locked areas and Cyrodiil for PvP considered "open world free roaming"?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Like daoc and skyrim

How is 3 Faction locked areas and Cyrodiil for PvP considered "open world free roaming"?

Bingo.

Well daoc was completely own world, zero instancing.
    I guess we differ on what you consider open world themepark.

To me that is like daoc or vanilla eq, no instancing huge open world.

As opposed to a linear on the rails themepark best described by swtor probably.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

kinda heartbreaking :(