Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The very bad and the limited good of this game

Teran1987Teran1987 Member UncommonPosts: 202

Thinking about playing this game? Don't bother. As many posts before me have pointed out, it's P2W. Want some other reasons behind why you shouldn't waste two hours of your life waiting for this to download?

The customer service rating this game deserves is an F at best, their replies to support tickets are copy-pasta based and impersonal, their staff ban people for reasons like "Average insults towards players.." (the hell is an average insult) with time limits of their chosing and are held to no standard punishment system. And there's extremely evidence towards the fact that the staff are given preferential treatment, case in point I create an account to try this game so I can write a review on it. Jumped in with my brother who failed to give me direction on how to join his "Tank Company (clan)" and so I called him a retard as any brother would.

According to the TOS, you are to receive a warning first, then a suspension, then a more severe account ban, then deletion. I was immediately and w/o warning banned for 24 hours by some staff with a ridiculous name. And then today while casually talking about how strict the staff were, I was once more banned for bad mouthing staff with the aforementioned reason, "Average insults towards Mod/GM/Dev/Admin" by a staffer who went by the name "Sir_Explosion", yea, real professional. Isn't a GM/Admin the same thing? And what kind of generic excuse is that? Who even words it like that?!

So, according to their OWN TOS that they quoted at me, their staff violated their TOS on two accounts but were not held liable.

Another reason not to play is the matchmaking system. Yes, it does put you relatively fairly against other tanks, but in that same battle can be a tank 2 or three tiers higher than yours..which essentially means you're screwed. Oh and most people with a strong but fast tank will just ram you rather than attempt to fight you which somehow based on their law of phsics causes your tank to explode...

The third reason is of course the p2w, yes, you can grindfest your way to the top, have fun playing for the next 6 months doing so though. Paying not only buys you specialty tanks that are much more powerful than anything on the field, it will also buy you specialty ammo that is also much more powerful than normal ammo. So, essentially with the right amount of money you can become practically godlike.

All in all this game gets a 1/5

Graphics: 3.5/5

Gameplay: 2/5

Community: 1/5 (No Teamwork)

Staff: 0/5 (No professionalism, generic replies to support tickets(

Overall: 1/5 (P2W games don't deserve anything better)

"Life is not judged by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

When it comes to bans there are always 2 sides to a story.  Since yours is the only one presented here I would have to take it with a grain of salt and say no comment.

What does interest me is how I keep hearing P2W concerning this game.   Yet strangely it seems to have a fairly loyal following.    I don't understand the rational of giving power items to paying players.  My guess is that this option only becomes available later in the game.  At which point it is almost not pay to win but more of a pay to play situation.  In other words if you aren't shelling (pun intended) out for the ammo, you might as well not play.

Anyway games and payment options are always a personal choice.   Don't blame the game, it is you that does not like it.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

Sounds like you have had a bad experience and as a result your review is perhaps not as objective as it could be. 

I have to agree that there are P2W elements, but in all honesty it is most fun when you play it casually in teir 1 and 2 imo, so I am not really affected by any issues in that regard. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

1. I have received multiple chat bans over 2 1/2 years of play on the NA server - for trivial banter and taunting of the other team.

2. I have received ZERO chat bans over that same period on the EU server. Its become very evident (and you see this in forums as well) that the EU server is much more wide open for good natured fun, critical commentary on parts of the game which are broken etc. The NA moderators, for what ever reason, have delusions of godhood and are more prone to being on power trips. Thats the only thing I can chalk this down to. And so is there any wonder the average evening on EU server may see 60,000 players online as compared to only 20,000 on the NA server.

3. You say you don't understand or perhaps buy into the P2W argument and that the game seems to have a loyal following. This is due to Clan Wars. It is a fact that Clan Wars only allows players who have specific tanks in the garage (what I mean by this is that clans that want to compete restrict what tanks they want a player to bring as its well known some tanks are suck versus others in same tier). Clan Wars requires high tier tanks which, in Pub play, are credit losers even in a win. So - to support these tanks the player MUST have premium account, premium tanks, premium consumables, and gold ammo (the later is a must for Clan War events). Aside from gold ammo, which recently became available for silver, these items all cost real $. Also - as we pointed out - if you want to go from vanilla tank with a 50% crew to elited tank with a 100% crew you either grind (takes a hell of a long time, especially when you add perks atop this) or you can fast track this with real $ to unlock all ugrades and start with a 100% crew.

P2W - you will have better success, better win rate, better stats, more earnings, ability to finance your high tier tanks etc. when you spend real $ versus the free player.

And now a word on customer service - this is a Russian company. The game is tuned for the Russian market and the RU server. So there is a natural bias for some armor types/nations and a bias against others. The Russian company calling the shots does not give a tinker's damn for the feedback or concerns of the NA market as we are the smallest of the 3 main servers (the fairly new SEA server for Oceana is smaller but is too new to lump into this). The needs/desires of the RU players comes first followed by EU. Don't expect customer service from these people - its not their forte and unless you are on the RU server you are not a priority.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Teran1987s,

All in all this game gets a 2/5

errr?

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

I've played for about a year.  I subbed for the first 8 months and I didn't regret it.  As far as money is concerned I bought a farm tank that prints money so I no longer sub and do fine.  In clan wars you will need the tanks your clan wants thats kinda obvious.  If you wanna lvl faster you can sub but honestly once you grind the lines you want I don't know why you would have to sub.  Clan batles go like this we need x heavies so I grined out a couple heavies which I tend to get called up often.  Then the clan says we need x meds so I grinded a few of the med lines.  Amongst those 5 tanks if I want in the scrim I will be used for one of those tanks.  I would say total if you want to get in clan wars often makes meds and heavies your focus and avoid the german lines outside maybe the maus.

Gold rounds can be purchased for in game moeny and now that i have played so long I generally have a couple million in the bank to buy gold rounds.  As far as gold consumables I've never used them and never felt like I couldn't compete in fact the guys in my clan that use them don't use them often and only use the in clan wars so meh.  I actually have a pile of the gold consumables in my hanger from their various give aways but still have never used any of them.

Getting matched up against someone that is higher than you, well after the changes to mm the highets someone will be is 2 lvls above you unless you are a scout or a piece of arty.  I've actually solo'd guys a lvl or 2 above me when they make mistakes so again not that big of a deal now.  In the past this was by far the worst thing about the game, the mm was awful but they have made strides here.

Originally posted by cptndunsel

1. I have received multiple chat bans over 2 1/2 years of play on the NA server - for trivial banter and taunting of the other team.

2. I have received ZERO chat bans over that same period on the EU server. Its become very evident (and you see this in forums as well) that the EU server is much more wide open for good natured fun, critical commentary on parts of the game which are broken etc. The NA moderators, for what ever reason, have delusions of godhood and are more prone to being on power trips. Thats the only thing I can chalk this down to. And so is there any wonder the average evening on EU server may see 60,000 players online as compared to only 20,000 on the NA server.

3. You say you don't understand or perhaps buy into the P2W argument and that the game seems to have a loyal following. This is due to Clan Wars. It is a fact that Clan Wars only allows players who have specific tanks in the garage (what I mean by this is that clans that want to compete restrict what tanks they want a player to bring as its well known some tanks are suck versus others in same tier). Clan Wars requires high tier tanks which, in Pub play, are credit losers even in a win. So - to support these tanks the player MUST have premium account, premium tanks, premium consumables, and gold ammo (the later is a must for Clan War events). Aside from gold ammo, which recently became available for silver, these items all cost real $. Also - as we pointed out - if you want to go from vanilla tank with a 50% crew to elited tank with a 100% crew you either grind (takes a hell of a long time, especially when you add perks atop this) or you can fast track this with real $ to unlock all ugrades and start with a 100% crew.

P2W - you will have better success, better win rate, better stats, more earnings, ability to finance your high tier tanks etc. when you spend real $ versus the free player.

And now a word on customer service - this is a Russian company. The game is tuned for the Russian market and the RU server. So there is a natural bias for some armor types/nations and a bias against others. The Russian company calling the shots does not give a tinker's damn for the feedback or concerns of the NA market as we are the smallest of the 3 main servers (the fairly new SEA server for Oceana is smaller but is too new to lump into this). The needs/desires of the RU players comes first followed by EU. Don't expect customer service from these people - its not their forte and unless you are on the RU server you are not a priority.

If you are replying to me I find that chat bans are usually well deserved.    And they generally come with several prior warnings.  If you got chat blocked it was your own fault bud.  Sorry.  As for EU discrepancy, thats possible, but irrelevant.  It is the moderators choice, acoording to the rules, so don't piss em off even if you think you are right.  Because you know what?   They are god when it comes to bans.

As for the Pay to win thing I was just stating that this seems to be an obvious case of pay to win.   Except I think they designed this as more of a pay to play function.   Its like saying we will give you the lower levels to play free and all will be even.  But if you want to play with the big boys it will cost you.  Just a different way of saying, this area of the game is offlimits to freeloaders.

Thats just the way I see it.  But you could call it pay to win too, I have no objection with that at all.

• StofftierStofftier Member Posts: 93
    I think since the physics that the game is doomed but that is just me.Pay to win i dont see that.for the reason anything then premium tanks is reachable without money and even my t34 was for nada as wg would say.mm is fine when it comes to real tanks you can not  damage a tier 2 higher tank then its not the fault of your tank but the guy that aims ofcourse.L2S weak points.the only flaw that mm still has is that there can be still 4-5-6 arty in each team and that sucks for real any wot player can tell storys about it.and they dont only do nothing against it for the reason there are so many pussy arty players that can mostly blame their team if something goes wrong . if they change the mm that you can have max 2 artys per team these pussys have a bigtime que and they will piss of many of them so it stays like it is.and the dmg and splash dmg of the high tier artys is only embarrasing.I only play in randome battles up to tier 6 rest ist complete useless for the reason you have in high tier battles often the same tactics that you see in tier 1 battles only the consequences are bigger and hurt alot.
  • cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

Yes bono - i am replying to you. You made it clear you did not believe the OP so I gave you another data point - which you immediately conclude is my fault and on me despite evidence to the contrary (i.e. EU server has never banned me for the exact same things).

I therefore conclude you have an agenda, don't care to hear counter points, and that further discussion on this point is worthless. Well played sir.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

2. I have received ZERO chat bans over that same period on the EU server. Its become very evident (and you see this in forums as well) that the EU server is much more wide open for good natured fun, critical commentary on parts of the game which are broken etc. The NA moderators, for what ever reason, have delusions of godhood and are more prone to being on power trips. Thats the only thing I can chalk this down to. And so is there any wonder the average evening on EU server may see 60,000 players online as compared to only 20,000 on the NA server. never received a chat ban on NA (and now on SEA as well)...i've also never seen a ban done for what you claim is "trivial". play more like a gentleman and take your punishment like a man if you cross the line...don't complain about it here. no one cares. 

3. You say you don't understand or perhaps buy into the P2W argument and that the game seems to have a loyal following. This is due to Clan Wars. It is a fact that Clan Wars only allows players who have specific tanks in the garage (what I mean by this is that clans that want to compete restrict what tanks they want a player to bring as its well known some tanks are suck versus others in same tier). Clan Wars requires high tier tanks which, in Pub play, are credit losers even in a win. So - to support these tanks the player MUST have premium account, premium tanks, premium consumables, and gold ammo (the later is a must for Clan War events). Aside from gold ammo, which recently became available for silver, these items all cost real $. Also - as we pointed out - if you want to go from vanilla tank with a 50% crew to elited tank with a 100% crew you either grind (takes a hell of a long time, especially when you add perks atop this) or you can fast track this with real $ to unlock all ugrades and start with a 100% crew. if you want to take the time to play a tier 5 credit grinder a few rounds/day, you can afford to play your tier 10 in CW's daily, AND buy your premium ammo for it. it is not an ideal situation, but that's what you need to do if YOU WANT TO PLAY FOR FREE. either work for it, or pay your $11/month for a premium account and quit complaining. go to your local soup kitchen if you really want something for nothing.

P2W - you will have better success, better win rate, better stats, more earnings, ability to finance your high tier tanks etc. when you spend real $ versus the free player. explain to me why a player who pays for NOTHING deserves all the perks of those who actually support the game through a premium subscription or spend some cash on the product. also, show me the tank or ammo that is superior to anything than can be earned in-game through normal play and is exclusive to those who spend money (i'll do the work for you...nothing).

And now a word on customer service - this is a Russian company. The game is tuned for the Russian market and the RU server. So there is a natural bias for some armor types/nations and a bias against others. The Russian company calling the shots does not give a tinker's damn for the feedback or concerns of the NA market as we are the smallest of the 3 main servers (the fairly new SEA server for Oceana is smaller but is too new to lump into this). The needs/desires of the RU players comes first followed by EU. Don't expect customer service from these people - its not their forte and unless you are on the RU server you are not a priority. i've had excellent customer service in 2+ years. any tickets or questions are answered within hours. i've moved my account from NA-->SEA (the 2 least populated servers)...i've changes my account details, user name, and PW's without incident. i can only imagine the same issues that cause chat-bans etc have led to your own BIAS against customer service.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    It's hard to take any MMO seriously if they can't even give it a somewhat unique name.  You can write off most every "World of " game as just a WoW knockoff.  

You make me like charity

• Teran1987Teran1987 Member UncommonPosts: 202

If premium tanks were no better than regular tanks, why would they be referred to as 'premium' tanks? I think you should lookup the definition of the word premium, I don't believe you're using it correctly.

Oh and, I don't know what game YOU'RE looking at, but if you take a look at a Tier EIGHT tank PREMIUM it has the same damage as a Tier TEN tank regular, not to forget the fact that if you have a premium tank you undoubtedly have premium ammo, so you can bump that damage up what, 20%? If not more...

Nice try though.

"Life is not judged by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Originally posted by FuryV
    Originally posted by Teran1987s,

All in all this game gets a 2/5

errr?

Typo >.>, thanks.

This is in reply to   <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/9reesracer9"; href="http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/9reesracer9"; title="View information about 9reesracer9" suhlink"="">9reesracer9 apparently quoting doesn't work or it hates me.

I don't feel I'll stoop to your level and quote everything out in a bright vibrant color to draw attention as you did..but here's my replies to your replies to his replies.

2. - You obviously don't watch chat, I can see bans every hour. And for variously different times depending on the mod. One guy said stupid, banned for three days. Another guy two days later said the same thing, banned for 24 hours.

3.  The game is listed as free-to-play, why should premium players get an upperhand? Yes, they should get SOMETHING for contributing but a vastly different more powerful tank than anything else on the field? I think not.

As for your customer service review, that's a large review on such small interactions. It's sad you need help changing your password though.

"It's hard to take any MMO seriously if they can't even give it a somewhat unique name.  You can write off most every "World of " game as just a WoW knockoff. "

I can't believe I missed that in my review, but this is definitely NOT AN MMO. Yes, it does have approximately 10,000+ players and yes they're all technically on the same server but the max you'll play with at any given time is 15 and the map rotation is what, 20 maps or less?

So after an hour of play you'll probably have played all 20 or so maps twice and even fought the same people.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228
    Originally posted by Teran1987

If premium tanks were no better than regular tanks, why would they be referred to as 'premium' tanks? I think you should lookup the definition of the word premium, I don't believe you're using it correctly.

Oh and, I don't know what game YOU'RE looking at, but if you take a look at a Tier EIGHT tank PREMIUM it has the same damage as a Tier TEN tank regular, not to forget the fact that if you have a premium tank you undoubtedly have premium ammo, so you can bump that damage up what, 20%? If not more...

Nice try though.

prem tanks are garbage. they only bonus they have over same tier tank is they generate more cash per battle even without a prem account and cost less to repair. 

most standard tanks are better then prem tanks. 

playing the game its best to just turn off/minimize the lobby chat. i got chat muted for 8hrs for joking around with some other players by simply saying Spam.  their moderation is pretty insane on the NA servers i find, but other then that game is ok. 

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92
    The game isn't a P2W game. I have played this game on and off for a long time and only pay for some prem time for the added xp boost and bigger grouping. I have absolutely no problem winning in this game. It's more about strategy and choosing the right ammo type than actual tank strength. I have seen light tanks completely obliterate heavy tanks and such. If you can't drive and plan attacks very well in the game you won't be very successful. I really enjoyed this game.

Yes bono - i am replying to you. You made it clear you did not believe the OP so I gave you another data point - which you immediately conclude is my fault and on me despite evidence to the contrary (i.e. EU server has never banned me for the exact same things).

I therefore conclude you have an agenda, don't care to hear counter points, and that further discussion on this point is worthless. Well played sir.

LOL because the EU didn't ban you makes it ok?  Yea ok sure!   Like I said, that point is completely irrelevant.  If you got banned then you got banned.   

Its not that I don't believe its just that how are we to know that story is truth?  Only you and the guy who banned you know that.  Which is why it is really quite childish to come on a forum and whine about a ban when all we are hearing is your side of the story.

"Mommy, mommy, I hit Billy with a big stick and the bad principal gave me detention!!  "   Thats ok son, we will move to Europe where they allow you to hit kids with big sticks!  Then it will all be ok.

Thats what you sound like.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

All in all this game gets a 1/5

Graphics: 3.5/5 - Sure not the best graphics out there, 3.5 is about right i guess

Gameplay: 2/5 - This would be up at a 4/5 for me the game is great fun and well worth playing.

Community: 1/5 (No Teamwork) - Join and clan and run in tank companies then you cant expect random people you work perfect as a team every time. 4/5

Staff: 0/5 (No professionalism, generic replies to support tickets( - No issues with them myself but i have only ever had to raise one ticket and that was delt with pretty fast. 4/5

Overall: 1/5 (P2W games don't deserve anything better) - Since the premium ronuds can now be brought with in game cash the game is no longer pay2win so I have no idea what your on about. 4/5 for me

The game is not p2w.. besides a few premium tanks you can get everythign by just playing the game.. Also the premium tanks are not more powerfull than the other tanks of their tier infact they are usually not as good as the normal tanks maxed out.. Elite tanks jsut give you a way to get a good taste of what you can do at the different tier lvls and they allow you to make a bit more cash per game, but you will be at a disadvantage.

I play most days and really enojy the game.. i have also got quite a few of my clan mates playing as well now and we are almost ready to start the clan wars stuff..

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Stizzled

The third reason is of course the p2w, yes, you can grindfest your way to the top, have fun playing for the next 6 months doing so though. Paying not only buys you specialty tanks that are much more powerful than anything on the field, it will also buy you specialty ammo that is also much more powerful than normal ammo. So, essentially with the right amount of money you can become practically godlike.

Your post lost all credibility with this paragraph. Premium tanks are no better than any other tank, all they do is earn more credits per match and allow you to buy your way into the higher tiers (which doesn't help the buyer much if they don't know what they're doing, it just hurts the team).

You could make the arguement for P2W concerning the gold ammo, but honestly it's a non-factor. Especially when you consider that you can purchase the gold ammo for in-game credits, not that there is any real reason to

The game has it's faults, but P2W isn't one of them. The grind is a long one no matter if your premium or not, but for some people that's a good thing. Not everyone is in a hurry to reach the high tiers and some enjoy having a game that gives them months and months of progression.

Agreed. What you can get on a premium tank you can eventually get in game or better without spending real cash. As for the ammo, I really like the fact that you can also get it with in-game cash wich, again, makes it not P2W.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bopilopbopilop Member Posts: 14

I spent $25.00 a year ago and still play atleast once a week.   I have bought garage slots and a premium tier 5 tank.

I have tier 5-7 tanks for making money and can buy anything i need with credits.  

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I have two premium tanks, for one reason and one reason only. They bring in enough money so that I can survive playing all my normal high tier tanks without going bankrupt, and without paying for premium membership. meaning in 3 months time the tanks have paid themselves. See, if you like the game, you might want to play it for a long time, and hopefully wihtout costing too much.

If you do NOT like the game, as OP and many posters right now seem inclined to, you should just stop playing. Not continue playing then go to an MMO forum and whine how bad it is, and darn those people that like the game, to hell with all of them and what not. You are not forced to play,  not forced to pay, not forced to buy anything. By anyone. Not in any way at all. Coming here complaining that the game is not for you... Heck, it really make you look all kinds of stupid and the natural question is: So why the hell do you just not unisntall it and play somehting you like?

I started in beta... At release I was busy and came in two months later. back then, it was Tier 3 against all others,a six tier difference. Did we cry, scream at God how he has wronged us, shaking our fist to the sky? Not really.... We found a way to be useful, to make XP even when team lost. Slowly working our way up to a more even footing. Nowadays is easy. but you would not know that, I am sure in a normal MMO you run directly to the closest forum and scream and cry as well "He was 8 levels above me but ganked me anyway, screw this shitty game and close it down, what a fail!!!"

Yeah, look. You do not seem smart in that sceanrio either.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Nice try though.

Your lies are quite obvious to anyone who has played this game. The premium tanks make more credits than other tanks but every one of them has a major weakness that makes the other tanks of the same tier better. premium ammo does not do more damage. It penetrates better. It seems you do not know the game but want to discourage others from playing it, lying so obviously will not get it done.