Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard to ignore the posts

PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

I have seen several posts about this game not only on this forum, but several others that I follow. Apparently the Beta is going fantastic and I have yet to see one strictly negative post about this game. I have seen negative comments, but they come along with a positive experience post from the poster.

Is this the sandbox everyone has been waiting for? I'm starting to get a little hyped up about this game and I just heard abou it a few days ago.

From what I have read so far this could be the sleeper MMO that many have been waiting for. Might have to give it a try.

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

It is free.  What are you waiting for?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    I did not know that. Guess I'll have to download it then.

I just looked at the game list so I hope it is right. 

Let us know what you think.   I always liked street fighter on Sega, so I have wondered if it is anything like that?

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243

I was in your exact shoes a couple weeks ago man. Kept seeing posts about this game ive never heard of and looked like some korean grindfest. I gave it a shot and am damn glad i did.

My first week was a love hate thing though. I tried the game but kept contemplating uninstalling simply because i just wasnt figuring the game out and there was so much to learn. I was thinking maybe im getting to old for a game like this. The translation and tutorials for the most part were terrible i was completely lost. But i kept logging in every night after work because im the kind of person i couldnt let the game get the best of me just because i couldnt figure it out.

Im now a couple weeks in i still havnt figureed eveyrthing out but ive got a decent grasp. I would reccomend a guild asap they will help a ton if theyre decent folks. im now in love with the game. Its not gonna be for everyone but i would give it a shot atleast.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

Sorry, Free trial would be more accurate I guess.

Also it is Snail Games.    An Asian MMO company that totally destroyed Voyage Century  IMO. 

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    How is this combat anything other than Mortal Combat arcade style online?  Every video I see is two guys jumping around punching and kicking each other?  It that really the combat model?
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Well it's a sandbox and its new so I gotta try it. Yeah I am a GW2 fan and been playing it, but I am secretly one of those guys looking for that next big sandbox MMO where you matter to the world around you.

I also like open world PvP.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Watching the video right now : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFqq8SBC3hs

Aside from looking  visually dated for my preference, it seems interesting. No levels, skills level up individually, looks like a more active combat than the usual, etc. Now I hope there's no handicap for free players here.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Sorry, Free trial would be more accurate I guess.

Also it is Snail Games.    An Asian MMO company that totally destroyed Voyage Century  IMO. 

During the Beta #2 the free players do have time limits put upon them. But when it's full release there won't be any.

And this is being published by Snail Games USA and not the parent company. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This is the best combat video I've seen.  Not just for AoW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW1scHmANSI

Now I wish gary would make a flying video. Yes you can flat, I'm not talking about jumping up and coming down. I talking about flyinf 1000m off moutain tops over rivers and landing on walk ways. Make the video Gary please and thanks.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

This game has it's warts and quirks. If the gameplay was anything less than stellar it would be slaughtered for beeing unpolished, bad translations, poor tutorials, slightly dated graphics etc.

There is just one "problem" with tearing down the game. It's damn fun and keeps making you log in :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

I have seen several posts about this game not only on this forum, but several others that I follow. Apparently the Beta is going fantastic and I have yet to see one strictly negative post about this game. I have seen negative comments, but they come along with a positive experience post from the poster.

Is this the sandbox everyone has been waiting for? I'm starting to get a little hyped up about this game and I just heard abou it a few days ago.

From what I have read so far this could be the sleeper MMO that many have been waiting for. Might have to give it a try.

Is it a fun MMO with some non-standard features? I think so.

Is it a sandbox? Barely. I think so many people have seen the same EQ/WOW monoculture across most MMOs that anything that deviates from that design is a sandbox to them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Is it a fun MMO with some non-standard features? I think so.

Is it a sandbox? Barely. I think so many people have seen the same EQ/WOW monoculture across most MMOs that anything that deviates from that design is a sandbox to them.

This. The reason why it feel sandboxish for some people is because you can pick what you do. WoW and the like are themeparks where you have to go to ride 1, then ride 2, then ride 3. Where AoW to me is a themepark where you can pick the ride you like the most and do it. A themepark that does not hold your hand along the way, but does not feel like a sandbox to me.

Great game, but not the sandbox I am waiting for.

Originally posted by tyfon

This game has it's warts and quirks. If the gameplay was anything less than stellar it would be slaughtered for beeing unpolished, bad translations, poor tutorials, slightly dated graphics etc.

There is just one "problem" with tearing down the game. It's damn fun and keeps making you log in :)

This is one of the truest statements about the game I've seen. Mona Lisa.

• mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114

I coulnt agree more with most of what you said. I am curious though, I have seen several comments from others regarding the graphics and a dated qualtiy, this has not been my impression at all. In fact, there have been several moments where I was awestruck by the beauty of the scenery in game.

I guess my question would be, what mmos are better as far as graphic gameplay is concerened ( cinimatics I consider different , but if that is what you meant then I do understand )?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by mrBurns210

I coulnt agree more with most of what you said. I am curious though, I have seen several comments from others regarding the graphics and a dated qualtiy, this has not been my impression at all. In fact, there have been several moments where I was awestruck by the beauty of the scenery in game.

I guess my question would be, what mmos are better as far as graphic gameplay is concerened ( cinimatics I consider different , but if that is what you meant then I do understand )?

Any time a game isn't pushing the envelope on graphics there is going to be a cartain group that find the graphics to be dated. The generic fonts also sometimes contribute to that impression. IMO, Age of Wushu's team did a great job on the graphics, in both the theme and style.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by mrBurns210

Any time a game isn't pushing the envelope on graphics there is going to be a cartain group that find the graphics to be dated. The generic fonts also sometimes contribute to that impression. IMO, Age of Wushu's team did a great job on the graphics, in both the theme and style.

The western companies have pushed graphics beyond functional. Thus the fps issues we have seen in the west "next gen" games ie. RIFT, SWTOR, TSW, GW2.

AoW graphics are functional, yet and still stunning at times. There are ZERO fps issues in AoW. 5 year old rigs running at 45-60 fps. 

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295

True even in very populated cities its playable on my old rig on ultra settings where i rly struggled with the fps in gw2 , rift and swtor.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    1. Are the translations in this game really that bad?  I heard the engrish in this game is bad to a point where you dont understand quest details.
    2. is there only one shard/server for all players worldwide?
    3. Is this a 'land based" eve online?
    4. What is the learning curve for this game like?  Is it one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" games or is it just "hard"
    5. Is this game a huge time sink or can a casual gamer enjoy it?  (approx 2 -3 hours a day on average)
    6. How long does it take to get into meaningful PvP?  (How long does it take to develop a character to a point where you have most of your class tools and skills?)
    Srry for the questions.....I keep coming back to AoW sub forum and keep hearing good things (aside from small complaints).  I am trying to decide whether or not to jump into this game.

Thx for the answers/help.

EDIT:   Can someone give me a link that gives a description of the different schools?  All I can find is really vague/poorly translated descriptions.  Makes it really difficult to get an understanding of the different classes.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by tet666

True even in very populated cities its playable on my old rig on ultra settings where i rly struggled with the fps in gw2 , rift and swtor.

It is a very nice change, I have been slowly pushing up my settings to see what really lowers fps. Draw distance is great with no reduction high textures are fine. My old card slows down (in numbers but not in playability) on lighting sometimes if I have it maxed. Anti Aliasing seems to be the only thing that makes me want to upgrade my card as it goes down to a still playable but noticably slower 19-24fps with full ultra and anti turned to max....SO I just leave it off and have zero fps issues even in the middle of chengdu or a school war. Love it.

Coming from TSW as my last game with Fusang causing issues when more than 40 people were in the area of combat at once seeing this many people and running silky smooth is a very nice change. (that is not just the rig either people running top of the line rigs still find some games to lag server side with too many people)

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    1. Are the translations in this game really that bad?  I heard the engrish in this game is bad to a point where you dont understand quest details.
    4. What is the learning curve for this game like?  Is it one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" games or is it just "hard"
    5. Is this game a huge time sink or can a casual gamer enjoy it?  (approx 2 -3 hours a day on average)
    6. How long does it take to get into meaningful PvP?  (How long does it take to develop a character to a point where you have most of your class tools and skills?)
    Srry for the questions.....I keep coming back to AoW sub forum and keep hearing good things (aside from small complaints).  I am trying to decide whether or not to jump into this game.

EDIT:   Can someone give me a link that gives a description of the different schools?  All I can find is really vague/poorly translated descriptions.  Makes it really difficult to get an understanding of the different classes.

1) They can be hilariously bad, like bad old kung fu movie bad. Almost to the point of they should just run with that instead of fixing it bad. I have yet to have the translation stop me from understanding the goal though...the message yes the goal no.

2) Right now there is one shard, they say they may open another if the population demands it in the future.

3) This game has elements of Eve in it. It is skill based in much the same way. It has a good crafting system. It has open PvP, though much better controlled than Eve I think (I never really liked high sec/low sec divisions). It's crafting system and skills are not as deep as Eve's yet and you can't que skills so in that way its like old old Eve

4)The game has a learning curve. Call it medium to learn, hard to master

5) a casual gamer can enjoy it, with the skill based on time you just need to make sure you swap out skills when they are done and get enough exp to keep your skills going, you may miss some of the in game events from time to time but the times for those are listed so you can always catch them if you schedule it right

6) You can get to level 13 internal in two days if you know what you are doing. Meaningful PvP...that is a hard one to define I suppose. You can do school spy quests right away and if you are stealthy get away with it right from the start...your just much more likely to get womped on if you get caught. In two days you can have all your school skills.

edit answer, copied from an earlier post

Wanderer Valley has some nice tricks including the ability to shut down your enemies skills down for a few second (they can still move but not much else). Very underplayed class in my opinion but I find the double sword skills they have to be hard to deal with on my scholar sometimes.

Royal Guard are masters of controlling other peoples movement, they use chains and hooks to yank you around the battle field like a yoyo. They also have an AoE chain twirl that is rather annoying and a few hand to hand moves that I do not like being on the recieving end of. Lots of people wish they could yank others off a horse like RG can.

Tangman- has some melee but this is the most rangish class in Wushu at the moment. Think ninja with poison and darts and you are not far off the mark. Can be the hardest to kill or the easiest to kill depending on if you can get close to them. If you want to be ranged and stand back in fights tangman does it best. They deal a lot of damage. Well represented class in the game

Emei- no idea, they seem to be able to heal and kick people around. All girls. Girls kick some butt though, my lack of understanding of Emei has caused me to loose too many fights to them. They have some ranged skills some slow skills and something that kills me skills.

Wudang- One of the most pure power and considered in China to be OP, they have a lot of health moves that give them more health and several sword styles. I hear from the Wulin sites they get even more powerful with future upgrades, but as it stands I kick them around like a soccer ball. They can hide behind their guard like no one else.Wudang skills are the most expensive to try and buy if you are not in the school already. oh they even have some ranged skills.

Shaolin- Staves and kung fu, these guys are pvp nuts and spying on them is more of an invitation for a fight than any other school at the moment. They can keep you stunned and on the ground until you are dead if they are lucky and good. Slightly tanky as well. All dudes.

Beggers Sect- kind of like shaolin but less daze more hit you in the face with a stick.They have a palm based skill that if use correctly completely shuts me down, but rarely is it used correctly for whatever reason. (might be hard to time)

Scholars- Spin to win, they have an aoe move that can not be stopped, unfortunately they don't have much else to bring to the table with the sword. But the kicks they have are second to none and extremely powerful if you can pull it off in a fight. They have a few light healing moves that help. Not so good at ranged even with their many closing skills. Popular class.

Originally posted by Maephisto

Here's a link to all eight schools, with videos of each form.

1. No, there are not that bad for the questing. You may run into 1 or 2 during the first chapter(extended tutorial). Beyond the questing you'll run into things like, this recipe needs <rough goat fur>. You use your search tool, and don't see goat anywhere. Goat is listed as Heitan Sheep. 

2. Yes, on sever at the moment. I did here a rumor of them add more. I kinda hope they don't. There is plenty of room for everyone, and what we are starting to see is the population spreading out based on trade and/or dungeon location.

3. Go anywhere, do whatever you want after the tutorial. They are both sandboxes. AoW gives a lot of pve content aswell.

4. Hard to learn (compared to recent releases) hard to master.

5. 2-3 hours a day, you will have a blast. No two days will ever be the same. That being said time invested has tangable value.

6. After the first few hours. That's for both of those questions.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Is this the sandbox everyone has been waiting for?

Not me. I am not at all a fan of the setting and the whole martial-arts-on-a-wire thing.

ArcheAge is the sandbox I'm waiting for - more traditional fantasy sandbox with Eastern flavor.