Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So why won't this game go F2P or B2P?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    not sure.  let's look at the much beloved xfire numbers.  http://beta.xfire.com/games/who . 
  • TypososTyposos Member UncommonPosts: 39
    listen , i will try to explain .All companys want alot of ppls for their games , for this they make expansions patches etc...From the day WAR launch devs gave up...They just take the money from the fan boys and nothing more ...They realese a new WAR arena game f2p.They dont upgrade graphics they dont upgrade the game , they doing only micro patches.Its a huge title with abig fan base , and ruined...
  • PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Because EA dont want to make the investment  that it takes to make a sucesfull F2P. In contrary to popular belief, F2P is not just flipping a switch...

WAR is pretty much dead to them.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• TypososTyposos Member UncommonPosts: 39
    they gave up on WAR from the first time , they didnt even try to keep it alive like other devs for their games
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    such a shame too i really enjoyed war until i hit tier 2 and it was empty...
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Yeah WAR was a lot of fun in beta and when it first launched then they decided to screw classes up each month. Never fixed a lot of balance issues and did really add much after the launch.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Papadam

Because EA dont want to make the investment  that it takes to make a sucesfull F2P. In contrary to popular belief, F2P is not just flipping a switch...

WAR is pretty much dead to them.

How much they want to invest is up to them.  They don't HAVE to invest anything, and let's face it, there's not enough subs to justify any difference between f2p with no cash shop and a subscription model.  It's loose change to them.  They are doing it because they just don't care to do what people want them to, because it symbolizes failure and because they resent us in a way for turning our backs on this garbage.

I know everyone will cry about this, but one thing struggling mmos can do with minimal investment is put an ad bar inside the game.  It's a simple UI change that while people can pretend it would actually impact their decision on whether they play or not, they are full of it.  People aren't going to decide not to play an mmo because of an ad, unless the ad interferes with being able to play. 

I would prefer it, in a game like this, swtor, etc, to the alternative of locked down features and a money hungry cash shop pay2win model.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    such a shame too i really enjoyed war until i hit tier 2 and it was empty...

I had a blast until a few things happened:

1. Everyone was in scenarios and PQs were barren.

2. I couldn't get anyone to do keep raids because everyone was in scenarios.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    because more people would play War than SWTOR and EA cant have that.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Simple. Because EA owns it, and have made it abundantly clear they don't give a damn about supporting MMOs. They view their games as cash cows, and nothing more.

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by aesperus

Simple. Because EA owns it, and have made it abundantly clear they don't give a damn about supporting MMOs. They view their games as cash cows, and nothing more.

Cows that are sent to the slaughter, not even milked. Then they make a mid-sized BBQ, and what's left is just the bones.

No long term plans, no growth, no customer retention. All press releases, overhyped crap to play around with stock values at wall street. Sad that what 20 years ago was almost an art form has been turned into an industrialized chicken farm.

I want my niche organic stuff!!!!! sigh.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I still have hopes that EA will make DAOC and WAR ftp

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Nadia

DAoC is over 10 years old and still has a sub, it'll never be F2P.

WAR is semi-F2P with the trial at least.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• DarkWaysDarkWays Member Posts: 31
    With WAR and DAoC they have nothing to make them want to give the effort to make the changes, subs will not go up by going FTP or BTP.  I loved DAoC and first hoped EA would bring a more investment, sadly they did not.  WAR and DAoC are just a small bit of added income to help pad their MMO division's coffers.  I think the only reason SW:TOR went free to play is that current investors in EA see SW:TOR as something that can generate some kind of profits or atleast recoup the investment EA made in the production of the title.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by Nadia

DAoC is over 10 years old and still has a sub, it'll never be F2P.

WAR is semi-F2P with the trial at least.

Everquest was 13 years old before it finally went ftp last year -- never know

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Behold the power of the p2p payment method.

With no further development, and a skeleton crew to keep the servers on, i would imagine just a few hundred players would be all it takes to keep the game running...well forever.

My sneaking suspicion is that when EA bought Mythic, there was a clause to keep WAR running indefinately, so long as it payed for itself.  I believe this to be true because of their refusal to go free...if they can sustain the subs they have constant money perehaps just enough to keep the game on.  Since they are not spending any time or money developing the game...perhaps EA agreed to let it be while its able to run itself.

Going f2p means opening the flood gates, perhaps having to spend money on hardware to support more players, more customer service reps, and forum mods/GM's are needed and there is zero gurantee that for this expansion of players that any will pay more than a token amount, if any.

If they go b2p they lose a revenue stream.

Staying p2p has kept the game alive imo, though it deserves a proper burial...since the developers are clearly not earning the sub fee.

• goosiegoosie Member UncommonPosts: 69

Yeah the potential for this game has come and gone, it's past its prime to attract a large market segment with so many other MMOs that are better in just about every aspect. Even if they were to invest the resources to make it go F2P, it wouldn't give enough profit and the risk is just too high for the whole scheme to go into the negative.

Also let's not forget about how they're going to retain new players they attract if they go F2P. They're not planning to go heavy on producing content, they only have a skeletal crew supporting the game, and the MMO crowd is fickle. The way I see it, it's just a recipe for disaster.