Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm sick and tired of these GARBAGE MMOs.

ZethlisZethlis Member Posts: 15

I started with Runescape. Then WoW. Then SWG (Wasn't THAT bad). Then Tabula Rasa. Then Warhammer. Then SWTOR which I waited for every single day since I heard of it being worked on in 2009, busted my balls. Then Wurm. Then GW2. Then EVE. And after that they stopped being worth remembering game titles. Why has the MMORPG industry gone from the most creative and influential to this cynical cancerous cyst? What are CEOs thinking when they make a business plan that comes down to - copy WoW and cash out as much as we can before we close the doors.

It's ridiculous how marginal the advancement of MMOs has become. I know I'm not alone in these feelings. Right now I'm counting the days to when Embers of Caerus will be released and I won't have to worry about horrible MMOs anymore, but that's a good 3 or so years away. I need something to sate my appetite and my appetite isn't end game raids and pvp. MMOs shouldn't HAVE an end game. You should never get to the point where you can't even think of anything else to do because you've already done it, but this is the MMO market of today.

Are there any innovative MMOs that are either already out there or very close to release that I haven't heard about? Surfing the list of 600 sum MMOs would take a good month. I'm about to abandon MMOs entirely because I've just lost so much faith in the genre.

HALP PLZ

Comments

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104
    From what you wrote it sounds like you want a less WoW-copied MMO with more freedom and other incentives than mindless raiding

..i'd suggest you to try Darkfall:Unholy Wars when it launches (hopefully in less than a month or two) and perhaps Mortal Online which is already out and went free to play but has alot of flaws however it's still fun nontheless (I would recommend waiting for Darkfall:Unholy Wars which is currently in very early beta stage). Both of these mmo's are completely freedom-based mmo's this is a very old unofficial trailer of the first Darkfall game but it basically sums up what Darkfall Unholy Wars will be about aswell:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYYT6Wg3Gg
  • ZethlisZethlis Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Kaminaxius
    From what you wrote it sounds like you want a less WoW-copied MMO with more freedom and other incentives than mindless raiding

..i'd suggest you to try Darkfall:Unholy Wars when it launches (hopefully in less than a month or two) and perhaps Mortal Online which is already out and went free to play but has alot of flaws however it's still fun nontheless (I would recommend waiting for Darkfall:Unholy Wars which is currently in very early beta stage). Both of these mmo's are completely freedom-based mmo's this is an unofficial trailer of the first Darkfall game which basically sums up what Darkfall Unholy Wars will be about aswellt:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYYT6Wg3Gg

I heard darkfall fell short of many people's expectations

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

You say that todays games are garbage when compared with  Runescape WOW and Warhammer.

I would say your tastes have changed  not the industry.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Try Warframe, its in closed beta but you can grab a key here ( if there is still one available ) maybe it can hold you a month, maybe no.

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Zethlis

..i'd suggest you to try Darkfall:Unholy Wars when it launches (hopefully in less than a month or two) and perhaps Mortal Online which is already out and went free to play but has alot of flaws however it's still fun nontheless (I would recommend waiting for Darkfall:Unholy Wars which is currently in very early beta stage). Both of these mmo's are completely freedom-based mmo's this is an unofficial trailer of the first Darkfall game which basically sums up what Darkfall Unholy Wars will be about aswellt:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYYT6Wg3Gg

Thats true, they couldn't live up to the extreme expectations that was set for the game..That doesn't mean it sucked. It was still the best MMO i've ever played and was still a success for the developers (more than 350k copies sold from a team with less than 10 employees). Now they have upped the developer team to about 60 and if they learned from the flaws of the first this version will be the best

Youre asking for an alternative to the wow clones and these are the only ones that exist.

Originally posted by Muppetier

You say that todays games are garbage when compared with  Runescape WOW and Warhammer.

Did you miss the entire point of my post? The entire point was that the industry HASN'T changed.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Radical idea! Don't play MMO's for a while. Play single player games. I know, it's crazy, right? But it sounds like you are pretty set on the opinion that the current MMO's on the market are crap. So save yourself some time and money and just play something else.
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    Radical idea! Don't play MMO's for a while. Play single player games. I know, it's crazy, right? But it sounds like you are pretty set on the opinion that the current MMO's on the market are crap. So save yourself some time and money and just play something else.

I have but the one thing MMOs are supposed to have that no other game has is longevity. I've played a significant amount of single player games such as the ME trilogy and Dragon Age and they are definitely much more fun than any MMO I've played, but the deal breaker for that fun is that it ends.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Muppetier

Did you miss the entire point of my post? The entire point was that the industry HASN'T changed.

Your point was that the industry has gone from creative and influential to garbage. My point (probably not clearly stated) was that todays MMO's are way above the quality of Runecape WOW and Warhammer.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

It's not out yet, but the only game on the horizon that is getting me excited is Pathfinder Online.  A sandbox built by a mix of MMO and RPG developers.  Folks that have their roots in decades of actual RPGs... combined with developers from Eve...

It's the first game I have Kickstarted and it's actually the first game I pre-ordered in years (since that disaster of Mortal Online).

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Runescape.. if that i s what you comparing todays MMO to and caling them garbage..well you should be the last person OP from whom i should take any advice regarding quality if modern MMOS.

Runescape..lol

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Runescape.. if that i s what you comparing todays MMO to and caling them garbage..well you should be the last person OP from whom i should take any advice regarding quality if modern MMOS.

Runescape..lol

I put those in chronological order for a reason. Sorry that I didn't expect such incompetence from readers as to have to give a lesson in literature.

@Slapshot: That sounds a lot like Embers of Caerus and it's coming out right around the same time but their budget is MUCH larger than EoC's. But if they don't get $300k in 3 days they aren't going to be getting a single dollar of that million.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    ... try other genres?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    ... try other genres?

As I've previously stated I stick to MMOs for their longevity

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273
    ... try other genres?

An MMO with endgame content has no longevity.

which rules out every themepark based wow-clone

so thats just going to leave you with sandbox style games

but you didnt like the sandbox when you played in it, as stated in your OP.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Age of Wushu most innovative MO,I've seen in years all I can say is try it check for the totally free Wushu posts on the forum.

But be warned it's deep and the translation is a bit dodgy so if you try NA get in a guild,I'm on Open Beta Russian servers just geting my head around the facets of the game until Wulin goes to Beta.

p>
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Thats true, they couldn't live up to the extreme expectations that was set for the game..That doesn't mean it sucked. It was still the best MMO i've ever played and was still a success for the developers (more than 350k copies sold from a team with less than 10 employees). Now they have upped the developer team to about 60 and if they learned from the flaws of the first this version will be the best

Youre asking for an alternative to the wow clones and these are the only ones that exist.

DF had so much potential that wasn't realized due to the community the played it. DF, during development, was promising to be what all sandbox fans were waiting for since SWG experienced the NGE. Instead, it was turned into a PvP arena by the community. The developers spent a great deal of time creating the world, and the backstory behind all the locations and areas. I remember reading each installment the developers released of the game lore as the months and years passed by. Yet, the only part the community cared about was the FFA PvP. That's why, being a sandbox fan and waiting years for DF to release, I ended up passing the game up. The sad fact is that players just don't have the imagination or patience to really take advantage of a sandbox game. I had similar hopes for Mortal Online, and met the same type of community. Just because there's FFA PvP in a game, doesn't mean the community has to turn that into the main feature of the game. An imaginitive, more intelligent and patient player would use FFA PvP as a tool, not the main attraction.

• papaz1papaz1 Member Posts: 27

I started with Runescape. Then WoW. Then SWG (Wasn't THAT bad). Then Tabula Rasa. Then Warhammer. Then SWTOR which I waited for every single day since I heard of it being worked on in 2009, busted my balls. Then Wurm. Then GW2. Then EVE. And after that they stopped being worth remembering game titles. Why has the MMORPG industry gone from the most creative and influential to this cynical cancerous cyst? What are CEOs thinking when they make a business plan that comes down to - copy WoW and cash out as much as we can before we close the doors.

It's ridiculous how marginal the advancement of MMOs has become. I know I'm not alone in these feelings. Right now I'm counting the days to when Embers of Caerus will be released and I won't have to worry about horrible MMOs anymore, but that's a good 3 or so years away. I need something to sate my appetite and my appetite isn't end game raids and pvp. MMOs shouldn't HAVE an end game. You should never get to the point where you can't even think of anything else to do because you've already done it, but this is the MMO market of today.

Are there any innovative MMOs that are either already out there or very close to release that I haven't heard about? Surfing the list of 600 sum MMOs would take a good month. I'm about to abandon MMOs entirely because I've just lost so much faith in the genre.

HALP PLZ

HAHAHAHA

Hmm.. where have I heard that before. "MMO's suck, I'm waiting for MMO X that will be the mother of all MMO's and then come crying to the boards about how MMO X failed but now you have found a new MMO Y that will be the next big thing". Rinse and repeat.

The problem isn't with the industry. It's you to be honest.

You are being overly negative and you need to unplug and get out and do something else for a while.

Originally posted by darker70

Age of Wushu most innovative MO,I've seen in years all I can say is try it check for the totally free Wushu posts on the forum.

But be warned it's deep and the translation is a bit dodgy so if you try NA get in a guild,I'm on Open Beta Russian servers just geting my head around the facets of the game until Wulin goes to Beta.

Yeah I tried the 10 hour trial or whatever and it was pretty good except by the time the trial was over I still wasn't familiar with the game AT ALL lol. I might check it out after beta but from what I experienced it will take very long to get used to

Originally posted by papaz1

HALP PLZ

HAHAHAHA

Hmm.. where have I heard that before. "MMO's suck, I'm waiting for MMO X that will be the mother of all MMO's and then come crying to the boards about how MMO X failed but now you have found a new MMO Y that will be the next big thing". Rinse and repeat.

The problem isn't with the industry. It's you to be honest.

You are being overly negative and you need to unplug and get out and do something else for a while.

Why does every single person who doesn't have anything to contribute to this thread choose to insult me? Are you that personally offended that the games you might partially enjoy actually SUCK? Get over yourself, it's a documented fact MMOs  have been on the decline, no matter what argument some prepubescent child uses to deter.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    My advise is to stop playing mmorpgs and do something else.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by darker70

Yeah I tried the 10 hour trial or whatever and it was pretty good except by the time the trial was over I still wasn't familiar with the game AT ALL lol. I might check it out after beta but from what I experienced it will take very long to get used to

Yeah if you don't mind Russian or maybe find an English guild the Russian open beta is a good way to learn the game no restrictions,NA is from what I gather dropping their 10 hour policy when they hit the next  Beta,will have to wait and see I suppose.

p>
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    ... try other genres?

Try :

Riding a bike

Getting a girlfriend

Going to work

swimming

hanging out with friends

play in a band

go to movies

And at the end of the day, around 9 pm, sit down and play a video game for an hour or two, if the girlfriend lets you !

• kostantiskostantis Member UncommonPosts: 29

Well,

unfortunately I think I have also been in that situation you're in now.

after playing almost all major and many many, let's say, second class and niche MMOs, I came to the conclusion that indeed things have been running a bit on the non-innovating side, maybe even taken a turn for the worse (oversimplification, casualness, linearity, theme-parkity*** e.t.c.)

however, there are a few exceptions, like let's say EVE and WURM, with different mechanics and approach.

What I have realized is that after so many games, I consider myself able to decide whether a game is good for me and if i really enjoy it or just play out of boredom/habbit. After that comes the realization that MMOs, now and for me, offer enjoyment when I play with friends. Friends from real life, friends migrating from other mmos and friends made in a new mmo.

That does not imply that i would put up with a game i don't like just to be with friends (WoW, SWTOR, RIFT and AoC are some examples in my case), but that in the end, enjoying the games with other is what really provides the longevity you seek.

As an example -and please dear community, no bashing for this one- I will tell you that i did enjoy GW2 for a while, because some friends and me decided to give it a go, but i did not really like to log unless they would be with me. On the other hand, I have been enjoying LotRO for many years, because of the community and the in-game friends.

That is, imo, the problem with new MMOs, the community and social aspects of the games have been reduced by both influx of new to the genre players and the game mechanics/developers tending to the more unsociable crowd that wants to sample/locust their way through this new trend.

I must point out that this is not an over-simplification of the phenomenon, but a fact that does indeed lead the industry to a more "isolated" gamer model, which in turn leads to reduced longevity because, in the end, MMOs are turning into single player games where the new type of gamer thinks that other players are just bots for group quests and AH.

That is why, back in the day, the more close-knit community was willing to put up with more flaws in a game. It was the social experience and the freedom provided that made people stay and invest in the game (see SWG).

So, if you find that MMOs provide longevity, but their systems are not to your liking, keep up the serach! I am sure something will come up that will suit our tastes. Hell, I even find that the search is also quite enjoyable in itself (but that could be just me).

Otherwise, if you think you too are slowly becoming a locust, give the single-player experience another chance. Too much good stuff is out there.

Though, and this is by no means an accusation or something, by your posts you seem like the power-gaming type. This remains a problem until your time is limited in RL. It did wotk wonders for me! Went from 6+ hours gaming a day to 2- many years back and it is great. I haven't been able to compete seriously in PvP and raid a lot, but I now have the maturity (unfortunately 35yo) to savour every game I play, no power-leveling, no worries about gear, just plain old fun.

good luck and whistle if spot something new and interesting

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Runescape..lol

I put those in chronological order for a reason. Sorry that I didn't expect such incompetence from readers as to have to give a lesson in literature.

@Slapshot: That sounds a lot like Embers of Caerus and it's coming out right around the same time but their budget is MUCH larger than EoC's. But if they don't get $300k in 3 days they aren't going to be getting a single dollar of that million.

So you are saying Runescape was garbage too and MMOS have only become more garbage since then? because if you were naming Runescape as a quality MMO to show that how MMOS have degraded since then..well in that case you are the one who needs lesson in literature and especially in how to explain your point more clearly.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney