Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is this Game P2W or not?

ter234ter234 Member Posts: 11

Im rly interested in this Game since it seems it offers enough unique Gameplay elements and has a fresh setting (atleast here in the west) but i couldnt get a straight answer if this game is P2W or not? I will ofc probably not play it if it is just another p2w title from the east.

Some Elements like trading in real Money for ingame Money to buy anything you want (including skills and whatnot) seem really P2W to me but then again GW2 also does something like that and its fine there.

So what do you Guys think?

Comments

• GrableGrable Member UncommonPosts: 66

I wouldn't strictly call it pay2win, but people who spend money on the game get quite big advantages... most notable one is the real world cash used for player to player trading.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

If you spend money you can level while offline, you level in this game by cultivating your abillities that makes your character stronger. Also, there's a limit to how much you can cultivate if you are F2P.

So yes i'd say it's P2W, because you win if you are stronger. 

• ter234ter234 Member Posts: 11
    Yeah i read about the VIP thing i dont rly mind that its like a sub and i would be willing to spend that mutch but i dont want to spend more money without an end into the game to stay competitive thats just bullshit.
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by ter234
    Yeah i read about the VIP thing i dont rly mind that its like a sub and i would be willing to spend that mutch but i dont want to spend more money without an end into the game to stay competitive thats just bullshit.

I have been playing on the russian server for a bit and not spent a dime so far.

I'm doing fine in both pvp and instances. You level faster with money, and you can buy gold like in GW2 or EVE with ingame systems to buy gear off other players.

Also you can only buy mounts in the shop if I have understood correct, and they are time limited.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

now show me game in which You cant buy gold from goldsellers, You can do it in any mmo, I know here like in few other F2P mmos its publisher who sells, but still You can buy moneys/items in any mmo in some cheaper than from official sources

You can buy slow mount from npc, in future fast one from guild stable

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    You can't buy anything with real money that can't be obtained in game through normal gameplay, so no, it's not pay to win.

Paying customers have benefits ofc, but that will only annoy you if you think you're somehow entitled to limitless free entertainment. You'll be able to compete as a freeloader too, but it will take more time and effort - just like in any ftp game.

Besides, AoW's model is not that different from several btp games. If AoW is pay to win, so is EVE and GW2.
  • GrableGrable Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Biskop
    You can't buy anything with real money that can't be obtained in game through normal gameplay, so no, it's not pay to win.

Paying customers have benefits ofc, but that will only annoy you if you think you're somehow entitled to limitless free entertainment. You'll be able to compete as a freeloader too, but it will take more time and effort - just like in any ftp game.

Besides, AoW's model is not that different from several btp games. If AoW is pay to win, so is EVE and GW2.

Actually no. EVE is firstly pay to play, so we cannot even compare that.

As for GW2, the model is buy 2 play with a cash shop so it's not valid to compare those two either, but if we compare the benefits of someone using cashshop in GW2 and someone using VIP/cashshop in AoW, the advantages in Age of Wushu are MUCH greater.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Grable

As for GW2, the model is buy 2 play with a cash shop so it's not valid to compare those two either, but if we compare the benefits of someone using cashshop in GW2 and someone using VIP/cashshop in AoW, the advantages in Age of Wushu are MUCH greater.

In GW2 you can buy gold with RL cash and buy legendary weapons and exotic armor off the TP.

Not sure how that is not an advantage :)

Same with EVE, but at least there you need to have the skills to use what you buy. Unless you just buy a 80SP char off the bazar.

The main thing is: In neither games you can buy an advantage you can not get by spending time and effort.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Grable

Of course we can compare them. Just because a game has a pay to play doesn't preclude it from having a cash shop or any other type of system. With enough money in eve you can buy a character, buy a ship, buy enhancements do whatever. With enough in Wushu/wulin you can probably buy the skills you want from other players (though at this stage you may not be able to find all of them). buy the equipment you want, fast train said skills.

In both Eve and Wushu enough lower level people will probably kill you, and in both someone who didn't pay put actually experienced character growth and learned how to play his or her ship/character...will probably be able to kill you.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I don't really think "pay to win" applies to AoW. Sure you can move faster if you are a VIP with offline cultivation of skills and the fact that a portion of your xp/cultivation doesn't get locked as potential but someone who plays the game a lot, racks up lots of xp and does their 2 team practices a day plus earns lots of xp conversion items can also move fast. This is the same with gaining unbound silver to buy gear from other players - if you work at it you can get enough money to deck yourtself out, not that gear makea a huge difference anyway. It's the classic real money -vs- time available model. Besides, spending a lot of real life cash on the game doesn't mean you can instantly go to school meetings and beat everyone.

I never understand though, why people expect that a game which doesn't cost a cent up front is then going to let you play for free on an even footing with people who pay money. The developer has got to make money back somehow, plus for future development so clearly, as with most f2p models, the game is set up so that you either put up with some restrictions, or you pay for your entertainment. I don't see what's wrong with that. Better than paying $60 up front and then hating the game after 10 days.

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115
    More like pay to speed up the process of things. Although the purchases may be tempting you think to yourself, if I just wait a bit longer I will obtain it for free. At the end of the day everyone levels up the same (internal skills). I have been playing for a couple of days and haven't felt the pay 2 win presence at all.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by tommy-xx
    More like pay to speed up the process of things. Although the purchases may be tempting you think to yourself, if I just wait a bit longer I will obtain it for free. At the end of the day everyone levels up the same (internal skills). I have been playing for a couple of days and haven't felt the pay 2 win presence at all.

Pretty much this. VIP speeds up the rate of gain. All other extras of VIP seem to be accessbile through in-game means.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Vonatar

I never understand though, why people expect that a game which doesn't cost a cent up front is then going to let you play for free on an even footing with people who pay money. The developer has got to make money back somehow, plus for future development so clearly, as with most f2p models, the game is set up so that you either put up with some restrictions, or you pay for your entertainment. I don't see what's wrong with that. Better than paying $60 up front and then hating the game after 10 days.

Are you somehow implying that these games aren't made by idealists solely for my personal entertainment? My teen ego beg to differ!

I'm an important person (that's what my mom says anyway) and I'm fucking ENTITLED to EXACTLY the same benefits as someone spending money on the game! Any other model is a pay to win ripoff and I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole since it's not worthy of my precious attention.

Also, keep in mind the game better serve me the best gear, skills and some medals as soon as I log in, otherwise I won't feel special and then I won't log in anymore. I mean, why should I have to learn the game's systems or put in some effort when I can have it all instantly (for free ofc)? I'm a customer after all and the customer is always right, even when he's a cheap freeloader, right? Right?

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Vonatar

Are you somehow implying that these games aren't made by idealists solely for my personal entertainment? My teen ego beg to differ!

I'm an important person (that's what my mom says anyway) and I'm fucking ENTITLED to EXACTLY the same benefits as someone spending money on the game! Any other model is a pay to win ripoff and I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole since it's not worthy of my precious attention.

Also, keep in mind the game better serve me the best gear, skills and some medals as soon as I log in, otherwise I won't feel special and then I won't log in anymore. I mean, why should I have to learn the game's systems or put in some effort when I can have it all instantly (for free ofc)? I'm a customer after all and the customer is always right, even when he's a cheap freeloader, right? Right?

You forgot the "there are lots of free games out there, if you aren't having fun just move on to another" argument used by freeloaders. The I won't pay anything and don't understand that is related to the fun they can have, but hey it's free right.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    I wouldn't say this game is pay to win at all.  Players who pay a sub will be able to cultivate experience faster and train offline, which will get them more power faster, which is true.  But there are also skill caps in this game so the free to play players will be able to catch up to the same power level, especially if they spend in game time doing activities that can increase cultivation rates as well as making sure to always have an optimal amount of xp in storage for cultivation.  The items you can buy in the cash shop are rented which seems like a waste and certainly isn't pay to win.   Buying in game cash seems like a waste when it is pretty easy to make a lot of it without spending real money if you know what you are doing.  In beta, free players are limited in how much they can play but this restriction will be released at launch in February.  It's a pay for convenience system. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!