Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class recommendation? (Mystic, Priest or Archer)

KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

I will make this short and simple!

I like to play all classes, but some are more interesting than others:

* Mystic: I find Mystic the be very fun, but I am afraid of how my journey will be! Will there be many dungeons and so on, through all the levels and will I be needed? Will it be fun for me to solo, or hard and booring? Also, at "end game" will I still find this class fun and needed? Tell me how you feel and what you know!

Priest: I did not find the Priests's skills as fun as the Mystic, but after reading that they do more dps and heal better than Mystic, it might be a more fun class? Again, I don't want a slow and booring leveling path, even if Mystic seems to be more fun? Why choose Mystic over Priest and vice verse?

Archer: Seems like a fun class, but maybe I will get bored with just doing dps? How about the leveling path? What about "end game" and so on?

So, what's your personal choise of these 3 and why? I know it's a hard question, but pretend that you are talking to your twin, because I am up for anything! So, don't tell me to try them all or ask me what I like. Again, I like them all! ;)

Comments

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

Mystic is the solo god healer class.

You can heal as well if not better than the priest and your ability to drop healing orbs which do NOT draw agro to you is indispensible.

You are tough as nails and solo well with your pet if you learn  the ropes.

You are not a DPS class, so soloing BAM's will be painful for you, but if you duo up with somebody, you'll dominate.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by GreenWidow

You can heal as well if not better than the priest and your ability to drop healing orbs which do NOT draw agro to you is indispensible.

You are not a DPS class, so soloing BAM's will be painful for you, but if you duo up with somebody, you'll dominate.

I have read so many articles now, that I can't make up my mind! Both Mystic and Priests seems fun, in their own ways! What would you say about priest? It feels like I will be needing a group like 100% of the time (which I like), but I want the questing/solo to also be a great amount of fun. Ahh, decision...decisions....

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

Classes being classes and MMOs being MMOs there will be buffs and nerfs over time to every class at some point.  So it'd be best if you choose what you find fun.  Usually if you find it fun you engage with the class and find it easier to become "better" at it.

Now, having said that - it is true that of the two healer classes the mystic is the more challenging of the two through its leveling career and most definitely at endgame : currently.  I think Mystic is being internally worked on in Korea.  Some months back I caught a glimpse of new models for their Thralls.  But those pictures are hard to find as hell.  In the Korea notes there's also been some buffs for the tanking ability of Thrall of Protection.  NA should be seeing that change in about two months or so.  For now I feel the thralls to be not so good - with the exception of the Fairy which works as advertised.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by Kanyl

I have read so many articles now, that I can't make up my mind! Both Mystic and Priests seems fun, in their own ways! What would you say about priest? It feels like I will be needing a group like 100% of the time (which I like), but I want the questing/solo to also be a great amount of fun. Ahh, decision...decisions....

While leveling you'll find your quality of life much imrpoved by the right choice of crystals.  When you get a chance pay attention to what crystals do as well as glyphs (past level 20).  For now at your level Hunter's crystals for your weapon stacked up will make your quality of life better.  They are not cheap.  Just keep an eye out for when they might drop in the world or if you happen to find a very cheap posting in the Broker. (They are not sold by vendors).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I think all the classes really come into their own the higher you get. Quite frankly, I can see some people not wanting to continue from some of the starter stuff as it seems very limited but it improves.

The archer is a very active class. Now granted, my archer is only in its 20's but it's more than just spamming one attack. it's very mobile.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Honestly it's all about preference from the playing the game itself. I've played tank in WoW for ages but ended up going Slayer in Tera. You might be a healer but decide when you play Tera that a support class like a Mystic suits your tastes. I would just try each one a little until you get off of Island of Dawn and  then go from there.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Personally I like mystic more than priest, priest is more buff and sit around, give mana and cleanse when needed to be good. Mystic has so much more to it, staying within 20m range to provide party buffs, throwing in a little dps if you want, dropping the orbs behind dps while avoiding the boss. That's what you can do if you want to be a really good mystic.

Also to survive as priest you just keep fiery escaping and self healing, mystic you have to stun then dodge, drop an orb and pick it up to heal, then try to stun again, summon a fairy to heal you, kite behind enemies using your thrall.

However they do have the lowest dps in the game so solo'ing can be somewhat tedious, more so than any other class, when the game goes F2P though you shouldnt have a problem finding groups.

As for Archer, they are fun as well, really fun to snipe people in group PvP, pretty boring in endgame PvE in my opinion though, the most exciting for PvE is any melee class, having to be under the bosses feet and dodge/block every attack is where it's at, sitting back out of range makes the game feel less interactive not having to block/dodge as much.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I'd say go Priest, they are good in all situations, both PvE and PvP.

Mystic is versatile aswell but entirely different playstyle and depend a bit more on your party.

Archer is fun but don't got much CC.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Yeah, seems like I am heading towards the Priest now, since I have read so much good about it. Archer is gone and is now replaced by Warrior, as they also seems fun. I guess I'll have to play more and just go with a choise, instead of juggling it forth and back....

EDIT: I took a Popori Priest! Even if I maybe regret it later, I have to make a decision. I am so tired with spending several hours, thinking about cons/pros. So, I don't care anymore. Better play something than nothing....

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Yeah, seems like I am heading towards the Priest now, since I have read so much good about it. Archer is gone and is now replaced by Warrior, as they also seems fun. I guess I'll have to play more and just go with a choise, instead of juggling it forth and back....

EDIT: I took a Popori Priest! Even if I maybe regret it later, I have to make a decision. I am so tired with spending several hours, thinking about cons/pros. So, I don't care anymore. Better play something than nothing....

Popori Priest, fine race/class choice if I must say so myself.

As for warrior, it's definitely the most interactive class in PvE, both for tanking and dps. As a tank you can either go lancer style and use block or go warrior style and do a much more difficult style of tanking called evasion tanking, dps as a warrior is also pretty fast paced for a dps class at least.

Overall warrior dps/tanking requires more skill than most others dps classes or lancer tanking IMO.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

This is so false I dont even....

Roll a Priest or an Archer both are in amazing spots right now. If you like to heal endgame and all that roll Priest if you want to DPS roll Archer. Priest can even do a bit of DMG themselves if they have a good group and are careful themselves. 

I wouldn't roll warrior, it is a very difficult class to play correctly and most can't get the hang of it. They made it a little easier with cross defence, but it is still probably the most difficult to play top tier. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

If you roll a mystic you're gonna hate the leveling at higher lvls (50+).  Priest do have higher dps but all of their big damage skills are at close range so you have to chain them to be effective. 

As for me, i prefer close range melee classes (lancer, warrior, slayer, berserker).  Of the three you listed I would go

1. archer

2. priest

3. mystic

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The Archer class is the one I enjoyed the most. In fact, it's probably the best bow class I've ever played in an MMO..

The rest of the game wasn't for me.. but that class was awesome. Really felt those arrows connect... and had to aim properly!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

No matter what anyone says Priest > Mystic at the moment.

The only scenario where mystic is better is in perfect world in a perfect group that plays perfectly.

(Hardcore 5-man that does zero mistakes.)

This said I'm expecting to see Mystic buffs or Priest nerfs down the line.

• Black-DogBlack-Dog Member Posts: 18

A ton of missinformation here as usual on the mystic and priest debate :D

But I guess if he wanted just to click and go then priest is the easy road for that saussage to swallow.

And what was that someone said about Archer for DPS? come on lol...... my gawwwd

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Black-Dog

A ton of missinformation here as usual on the mystic and priest debate :D

But I guess if he wanted just to click and go then priest is the easy road for that saussage to swallow.

And what was that someone said about Archer for DPS? come on lol...... my gawwwd

I dont know what your talking about...

A good archer will pull damn good deeps. No they wont pull zerker or Sorc numbers but they are still pretty damn well off. Mystics are preferred in K.Tera where Priests are preferred in NA/EU... because we just aren't as skilled as they are over there on average and are a safer bet when things go south. 

Now if he can get a good group, a static that are damn good players then yes a Mystic will reign over a Priest... but come one, how many groups have you been in with fail tanks or that derpy derp slayer who forgets they have a dodge button. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I will make this short and simple!

I like to play all classes, but some are more interesting than others:

(i have several lv60's so i will help you as best i can)

* Mystic: I find Mystic the be very fun, but I am afraid of how my journey will be! Will there be many dungeons and so on, through all the levels and will I be needed? Will it be fun for me to solo, or hard and booring? Also, at "end game" will I still find this class fun and needed? Tell me how you feel and what you know!

If you intend to mostly solo the content then you will find the mystic to be very boring at higher levels (its a slow process).  If you can find 1 or 2 other players to party up with it will be a cake walk.  Most of my characters are melee DPS and I love having a mystic in my party doing end game dungeons because they can do what priest cannot,  which is full mana regen buff for all party members and increase my crit rate by a large margin.

Priest: I did not find the Priests's skills as fun as the Mystic, but after reading that they do more dps and heal better than Mystic, it might be a more fun class? Again, I don't want a slow and booring leveling path, even if Mystic seems to be more fun? Why choose Mystic over Priest and vice verse?

Priest have a higher DPS than its sibling the mystic (the dps skills are close range and you have to chain them in order to have max effect).  Because of the higher dps and ability to heal yourself,  leveling solo is quite easy.  Priest in a party is good,  they bring alot of party buffs and can debuff quite will.  Instead of a crit buff priest have a power increase buff thats applied to the party.  A priest can pretty much carry a bad party through a hard dungeon due to their superior healing abilities.

Archer: Seems like a fun class, but maybe I will get bored with just doing dps? How about the leveling path? What about "end game" and so on?

Yes fun class (my archer is only lv32 thou).  People tend to complain that the archers dps is low, but in order to maximize you're dps output you have to get in closer to the target and not stand at the max range of you're attacks (6-10 meters is the sweet spot).  Also they do more damage attacking from the rear (got to have the right crystal set up for this to work) and soloing mobs tends to make attacks from the rear quite hard to do (best to team up with someone and let them take agro. Archers are one of the better pvp classes in the game if you're interested in that side of things.

So, what's your personal choise of these 3 and why? I know it's a hard question, but pretend that you are talking to your twin, because I am up for anything! So, don't tell me to try them all or ask me what I like. Again, I like them all! ;)

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Priest cannot solo BAMs right. Which is better for that Lancer or Beserker ?

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    i've heard advice from experiened player ingame that no one wants mystic on endgame, i hope it isnt true lol.. Currently i had a lvl 25 mystic(dont wanna reroll -_-)
    Originally posted by sadWinds
    i've heard advice from experiened player ingame that no one wants mystic on endgame, i hope it isnt true lol.. Currently i had a lvl 25 mystic(dont wanna reroll -_-)

Pugs probably don't want a mystic if they can get a priest.

Statics usually run with Mystics, because people are skilled and don't get hit too much. Mystic's buffs provide better damage and faster clears. In kTera (different version) everyone prefers Mystic over Priest because their skill level with the game is completely different from ours and they even consider Priest a noob class.

In the end it doesn't matter which support you play but in my opinion:

Priest for Pugs

Mystic for Masters.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by sadWinds

I played a Mystic for a few months as my primary character and can only recommend you to play Priest. Priests got a lot better heals, including aoe heals, nearly as good buffs as the mystic, a lot higher survivablity, a little less CC and more DPS. So as Mystic you get a little better crowd control, slightly higher mobility and a slightly better buff swhile sacrificing the ability to heal your party when shit hits the fan aka a small mistake at a boss or during pvp along with other weaknesses the class has.

The worst part is the mystic is not allowed to heal itself properly. It only has a summon with a cooldown multiple sizes as big as the priest - and that summon is not anywhere remotely reliable. You can fear it, sleep it, stun it and the mystic is screwed since mystics can't do anything if that happens.

Not to mention that with every update priests got boosted and mystic nerfed - if those classes were changed at all. The only boost the mystic got was a pvp defense bonus which was a lot lower then what the Priest got with same update.

I read next update nerfs the mystic mobility, mixed with the missing self healing abilities that will mean mystic is getting even weaker.

So I really would just recommend you to play a mystic if you have peole that require you to - or if you wanna be playing something special that no sane player would touch. A mystic can be fun in a perfect pve party and in certain pvp situations, but a priest will work for everything.

LFG!
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Archer constant dps. Mystic and Priest are good survivors but very slow solo. Mystic is alright end game if you are in a group.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Latest patch notes show changes for some classes. Priest seems to be getting smiled at. Mystic gets somethings but these do not compare with the Priest updates. 

One of the main reasons the Mystic doesn't receive as much attention as the Priest, is it's current  popularity by players in Asia. Over there it's the first choice healer in pvp rankings - someone posted these in the eu forum a while back.

So BHS react by boosting the Priest.

In the west however, the Priest appears to be more popular. The knock on effects of this is it will become even more favoured over here.

One of the highlighted changes to the Mystic - 30% gain in Arun's Vitae - seen as a good buff, may not n fact be anything like that owing to the shorter duration and extension to the cd. It may in fact turn out to be a class nerf.

So, with the changes coming in Priest will move further ahead.

Originally posted by JudgeUK

Latest patch notes show changes for some classes. Priest seems to be getting smiled at. Mystic gets somethings but these do not compare with the Priest updates. 

One of the main reasons the Mystic doesn't receive as much attention as the Priest, is it's current  popularity by players in Asia. Over there it's the first choice healer in pvp rankings - someone posted these in the eu forum a while back.

So BHS react by boosting the Priest.

In the west however, the Priest appears to be more popular. The knock on effects of this is it will become even more favoured over here.

One of the highlighted changes to the Mystic - 30% gain in Arun's Vitae - seen as a good buff, may not n fact be anything like that owing to the shorter duration and extension to the cd. It may in fact turn out to be a class nerf.

So, with the changes coming in Priest will move further ahead.

Other way around. Priest changes were really minor in this patch and mystic got boosted forward. This is because they improved mystic's healing & longer range on auras so basically they improved mystic's damage boost while at it.

The patches in KR have lately been about buffing priest because it has fell really unpopular noob class over there. And the latest changes in KR involving energy stars buff have definately brought Priest back to Mystics level.

Current situation @ NA/EU after this patch is that Mystic is a clear winner which the next big patch might turnaround again. This said Priest is still better for Pugs while Mystic shines with premade.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Other way around. Priest changes were really minor in this patch and mystic got boosted forward. This is because they improved mystic's healing & longer range on auras so basically they improved mystic's damage boost while at it.

The patches in KR have lately been about buffing priest because it has fell really unpopular noob class over there. And the latest changes in KR involving energy stars buff have definately brought Priest back to Mystics level.

Current situation @ NA/EU after this patch is that Mystic is a clear winner which the next big patch might turnaround again. This said Priest is still better for Pugs while Mystic shines with premade.

Could you link those patch notes? All I remember reading is that they remove the chance to instantly reuse teleport jaunts, the only thing that often saved a mystics ass when the terribad self heal failed... again. That doesn't sound like a major boost to me.

LFG!