Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My tip to enjoy SWTOR more: Treat it like KOTOR

13»

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Content in SWTOR is just one thing to do, a long line of story based missions, it is just story after story after story, there is very little other variety in the game to do at all. If you get bored of story then you get bored of doing the entire game

There is plenty of stuff to do in game besides story. You have flashpoints, operations, heroics, crafting, companion building, datacron hunting, world bosses etc. 

In SWG if you get bored of something, you can then do something else, and once you have done everything else the game has, you get motivation to do the first thing again, and then rinse and repeat. Even you quit SWTOR at one time, as had enough for a while.

And I also quit SWG on multiple occasions. All games get boring after a period of time and I take a break from them.  The only difference is stayed far longer before my first break in TOR than I did my first break in SWG. 

SWTORs crafting is not worth the effort and just plain boring.In SWG you could compete against other players to be the best. Chasing the resources, trying to get the best, was a thrill. There is no thrill getting resources in SWTOR, you just go to the relevant planets, and get the resource.

Too each his own. I find the crafting in TOR a nice change of pace. The companion system makes crafting a whole lot more fun. I can send them out to craft and gather while doing more fun things with my time. In SWG, I had to sit there and watch a bar when I crafted.  Bascially it comes down to whether you like being the worker or the boss. I prefer being the boss. 

Players did a lot of events in SWG, eg there were slave auctions, my friend got bought to help someone out clearing lairs for a day so they could drop their harvestors. There were many events done by players in game, who had imagination, and created their own content. i suppose SWTOR could do this, but people do not seem to bother, and there is no need to help clear out areas to get resources, as every char is combat capable.

There are player made events happening all the time. My guild  does them every week. Join a guild and take part in them. 

With the mission terminal I strategically put Rebel and Imperial missions aimed at the same locations and it created quite a huge battle.

Curious how you did that when you were only alowed to use your own faction's terminal. If you were imperial aligned you were not allowed to use the Rebel teriminals. And vice versa. 

SWTORs missions are entertaining as Bioware entertain you, but SWGs was more fun, as you could make the game do what you wanted to do, and some of the outcomes were all varied and hiralious, and never had the same experience twice, due to the dynamic spawning system, wher any kind of creature / NPC can spawn at any given location, making everything unpredictable. Once you have played through SWTOR once, you know exactly where everything is going to be, and what will be there.

Just because they spawned in different locations doesn't mean they were any more interesting. They basically stood in one spot and fired at you. No special moves of any kind. No challenge. The creatures were the only ones with any challenge but in the end they were just creatures chasing you. Most players didn't even bother with those mission terminals unless they were grinding XP. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Content in SWTOR is just one thing to do, a long line of story based missions, it is just story after story after story, there is very little other variety in the game to do at all. If you get bored of story then you get bored of doing the entire game

There is plenty of stuff to do in game besides story. You have flashpoints, operations, heroics, crafting, companion building, datacron hunting, world bosses etc. 

In SWG if you get bored of something, you can then do something else, and once you have done everything else the game has, you get motivation to do the first thing again, and then rinse and repeat. Even you quit SWTOR at one time, as had enough for a while.

And I also quit SWG on multiple occasions. All games get boring after a period of time and I take a break from them.  The only difference is stayed far longer before my first break in TOR than I did my first break in SWG. 

SWTORs crafting is not worth the effort and just plain boring.In SWG you could compete against other players to be the best. Chasing the resources, trying to get the best, was a thrill. There is no thrill getting resources in SWTOR, you just go to the relevant planets, and get the resource.

Too each his own. I find the crafting in TOR a nice change of pace. The companion system makes crafting a whole lot more fun. I can send them out to craft and gather while doing more fun things with my time. In SWG, I had to sit there and watch a bar when I crafted.  Bascially it comes down to whether you like being the worker or the boss. I prefer being the boss. 

Players did a lot of events in SWG, eg there were slave auctions, my friend got bought to help someone out clearing lairs for a day so they could drop their harvestors. There were many events done by players in game, who had imagination, and created their own content. i suppose SWTOR could do this, but people do not seem to bother, and there is no need to help clear out areas to get resources, as every char is combat capable.

There are player made events happening all the time. My guild  does them every week. Join a guild and take part in them. 

With the mission terminal I strategically put Rebel and Imperial missions aimed at the same locations and it created quite a huge battle.

Curious how you did that when you were only alowed to use your own faction's terminal. If you were imperial aligned you were not allowed to use the Rebel teriminals. And vice versa. 

SWTORs missions are entertaining as Bioware entertain you, but SWGs was more fun, as you could make the game do what you wanted to do, and some of the outcomes were all varied and hiralious, and never had the same experience twice, due to the dynamic spawning system, wher any kind of creature / NPC can spawn at any given location, making everything unpredictable. Once you have played through SWTOR once, you know exactly where everything is going to be, and what will be there.

Just because they spawned in different locations doesn't mean they were any more interesting. They basically stood in one spot and fired at you. No special moves of any kind. No challenge. The creatures were the only ones with any challenge but in the end they were just creatures chasing you. Most players didn't even bother with those mission terminals unless they were grinding XP. 

All the stuff in SWTOR is the same, story story story. In SWG there was various different things to do as I already said. Operations, Heroics and Flashpoints are all the same, just more story based missions like story. SWG had locations you could visit and build your achivements, SWG did not have companions but had pets with CH, there was also the secret Jedi system.

Companions do some of the crafting work but then so did harvestors and factories in SWG which let you play the game while they harvested / crafted items, plus the charm of crafting is best doing it yourself, if you prefer your compansions doing it, then you do not really like crafting all that much.

Stuff spawned in different locations but what made things interesting was when it mixed with your terminal missions. You did not know whether you would be dealing with just the mission spawn or some other spawn as well. In early days doing faction mission terminals you had to deal with other players as well.

The factional missions to create battles was easy, as you just switched to opposite faction character. Once a mission has spawned it does not usually clear until the mission camp has been destroyed, so if you travel to the mission location and let it spawn after waypont updates, it stays in the world for other players to come across it, if you then abandon it and do not destroy it. Sometimes after a server reset they would disappear but not always. Basically you go in a city with a rebel terminal, and then say get one to the west, and let it spawn, and then switch to opposite faction character, go to Imperial city to the west of the Rebel city, and get a mission East which will spawn roughly in the same location as the other mission, and then travel to it, and hopefully 2 missions end up close to each other and watch the NPCs go at each other or join in :)  It seems there are things you did not know you could do, because you never gave it much attention. SWG was deep, SWTOR is shallow.

Not to forget the ongoing open world battles between Anchorhead and Bestine, created by players themselves. In the final years SOE had to create the battles for players instead, in Bestine, Dearic and Keren.

The world was your oyster in SWG. There was endlless fun in SWG, depending what YOU (and SOE/LA) made out of it, SWTOR is limited by what Bioware made out of it. There is little you can do to cahnge the world around you. Once SWTOR all completed there is not much reason to revisit, as seen it all before.

I guess you just did not appreciate SWG for what it was.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by pioneer08

All the stuff in SWTOR is the same, story story story. In SWG there was various different things to do as I already said. Operations, Heroics and Flashpoints are all the same, just more story based missions like story. SWG had locations you could visit and build your achivements, SWG did not have companions but had pets with CH, there was also the secret Jedi system.

Companions do some of the crafting work but then so did harvestors and factories in SWG which let you play the game while they harvested / crafted items, plus the charm of crafting is best doing it yourself, if you prefer your compansions doing it, then you do not really like crafting all that much.

Stuff spawned in different locations but what made things interesting was when it mixed with your terminal missions. You did not know whether you would be dealing with just the mission spawn or some other spawn as well. In early days doing faction mission terminals you had to deal with other players as well.

The factional missions to create battles was easy, as you just switched to opposite faction character. Once a mission has spawned it does not usually clear until the mission camp has been destroyed, so if you travel to the mission location and let it spawn after waypont updates, it stays in the world for other players to come across it, if you then abandon it and do not destroy it. Sometimes after a server reset they would disappear but not always. Basically you go in a city with a rebel terminal, and then say get one to the west, and let it spawn, and then switch to opposite faction character, go to Imperial city to the west of the Rebel city, and get a mission East which will spawn roughly in the same location as the other mission, and then travel to it, and hopefully 2 missions end up close to each other and watch the NPCs go at each other or join in :)  It seems there are things you did not know you could do, because you never gave it much attention. SWG was deep, SWTOR is shallow.

Not to forget the ongoing open world battles between Anchorhead and Bestine, created by players themselves. In the final years SOE had to create the battles for players instead, in Bestine, Dearic and Keren.

The world was your oyster in SWG. There was endlless fun in SWG, depending what YOU (and SOE/LA) made out of it, SWTOR i s limited by what Bioware made out of it. There is little you can do to cahnge the world around you. Once SWTOR all completed there is not much reason to revisit, as seen it all before.

[mod edit]

Whatever you have in SWTOR the big difference with SWG apart it was even less polished than TOR is that in the former you had choice. In TOR you can pretty much only kill stuff and you are done.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by reid424
    I agree with you almost entirely. I enjoy SWTOR when i play solo and honestly that's what i've become is a solo casual player during the weekend with a more moderate play frame during the weekends. However someone mentioned Co-Op I still play with a few friends not 50 more like 3 an not consistently. I enjoy the exprience with other players pvp, FP and an occasional SM Op or HM EV KP. Fact is when the game started to become something I loathed logging into is when it felt mandatory to log in for a HM op....I could do SM for the rest of my playing days and still enjoy the game. Don't plan on leaving until server shut down I enjoy rerolling characters (16 character slots please).

I have become a big fan of coop style games over time. Playing with friends and family can be very enjoyable and relaxing. By the same token, I enjoy real life as well. I prefer games that do not require excessive time commitments or requirements. SWToR fits that bill pretty well. Being positive about life leads to being more energetic and more successful.      

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

All the stuff in SWTOR is the same, story story story.

No matter how many times you repeat that lie, it won't become any more true. 

In SWG there was various different things to do as I already said. Operations, Heroics and Flashpoints are all the same, just more story based missions like story.

Now you're not making any sense. All the above are group related content that takes good teamwork with other players to master. The story part simply adds MEANING to what your doing. Did you even play those because I'm starting to think you skipped all that. 

SWG had locations you could visit and build your achivements,

So does TOR. They're called codexes and datacrons. There's an entire system built for achievments. It's called Legacy. Again I'm starting to wonder if you even played the game. 

SWG did not have companions but had pets with CH, there was also the secret Jedi system.

The Jedi system stayed a secret until the first unlock. Then it was known to anyone with the ability to Google. Eventually the majority started going jedi, not just because they loved the profession, but because that was where all the new content was going. 

I always love when posters try to tell me what I like and what I don't. I enjoy crafting quite a bit and have made lots of money doing it in TOR. I like crafting. I just prefer the system in TOR better. Why is this concept so hard for you to understand? 

So you yourself enjjoyed repetitive content. Because that's all those missions were. I knew of no one that used those except to gain faction points or XP. You are the only one I've met that thought those boring mission terminals were fun content.  

Interesting. The only way you could have done that whole merry go round was if you paid two sub fees. SOE did not alllow you to have more than one character on the same server unless you either paid another sub fee, or unlocked jedi. After your monthly gripes about ONLY being allowed two characters in TOR's FTP system I never considered you as someone that would pay 30 a month for anything, even your great love SWG. 

And honestly, I never thought to do what you described with the terminals because it's stupid. I pay a monthly sub to PLAY a game. Not screw around and see how many NPCs I can get fighting each other. That's not deep gameplay. That's just horsing around. 

Not to forget the ongoing open world battles between Anchorhead and Bestine, created by players themselves. 

Players create battles by themselves all the time in TOR. There was one that just happened this past Tuesday right on Tattoine. Again, big whoop. 

The world was your oyster in SWG. There was endlless blah blah blah...

Skipping another soap box ...

I appreciated it fine for what it was.I just don't think it was as great as you do. It's called having a difference of opinion. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Not sure why SWG and SWTOR are being compared to when they are vastly different games.

You don't compare Mechcommander and Mech Warrior even if they were set in the same BattleTech universe.

On topic, if you like SW stories, you'll love SWTOR.

I'd like to point out that KOTOR2 is an amazing game with a really good story but is an attrociously bad SW story.

SW is still in the minds of many a 'Luke vs Vadar'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by pioneer08

Other things to do besides story.

1) Datacron hunt, in some cases you cannot get them solo.  WOW.. really? I did not sign up to go box jumping while walking across steel beams and walls to click on little glow boxes..  I never saw anyone in the SW movies do that.. did you?

2) World Bosses, every planet has a world boss that takes a least 8 player if not 16 And each world boss is a once and done activity.. Soon as you outlevel the planet, the boss will eventually become trivial..Right?

3) Flashpoints Did I mention how much I hate instancing?  And again once you outlevel the planet the flashpoints become trivial.. I did many of the flashpoints SOLO just to grind points.. Zzzzzzzzz

4) Ops Restrictive raiding and more hoop jumping.. I'll pass TYVM.. I left WoW for that reason, so why would I want to do a lesser version of it here?

5) PVP Ahhh you mean the private instanced my team is better then your team.. I think Hutball was insanely stupid and a joke.. I can't believe someone actually "OK"d that p.o.s... lol

6) Crafting You can tell it was designed as a hobby, and not a true economical component of the game.. The only thing worth selling are the mats .. lol  WoW / Rift and others are just as bad..

7) Build your relationship with all your companions I'd rather build a relationship with the COMMUNITY.. Seems so many gamers today forgot that MMORPG were started to be social, not these solo centric lobby based games..

8) Get to level X social And the purpose here is what?  I'm all game for promoting a community to be social, but have you checked out the social rewards?  The game is anything but social.. People seldom group up outside instances because it's too  much of a problem and incomvience..

9) Each class has their own unigue story I don't play MMORPG to relive some prefab story.. I played AD&D and other rpg's to make my OWN story as I did with SWG..  SWTOR gives me NO options in that regard.. Stories have no purpose in a true MMORPG..

10) Laugh at these bitter swg players that dont understand SWTOR is a good mmo and wil be around for a very long time. That remains to be seen.. Personally my gut tells me that SWTOR will be down to "life support" mod without a year after Makeb is released..  The future in this one is dim..

11) space missions The missions are nothing more then arcade shoot em..  They are fun, for the first few times you do them, but then what?  You cant' do them with others, and they never change..

12) Heroic quest areas  These I do like, but it's a shame they were NEVER desgined right to begin with..  The elite areas in the zone rocked.. I think all games should have "group focused" areas that are not solo friendly.. HOWEVER, the set up and design of the game disallows many people to join in from level 1-max..  Since leveling is just nothing more then an annoying speed bump to max level, no one takes the time to do flashpoints or heroic areas anymore.. 

In any case, I appreciate your optimism, but from where I sit and my experiences, Most of what you like I actually consider game breakers..  I and all my friends have left SWTOR and will not return.. Good Luck to you..   I've given up hope that anyone will make a true MMORPG using the Star Wars IP.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

All the stuff in SWTOR is the same, story story story.

No matter how many times you repeat that lie, it won't become any more true. 

In SWG there was various different things to do as I already said. Operations, Heroics and Flashpoints are all the same, just more story based missions like story.

Now you're not making any sense. All the above are group related content that takes good teamwork with other players to master. The story part simply adds MEANING to what your doing. Did you even play those because I'm starting to think you skipped all that. 

SWG had locations you could visit and build your achivements,

So does TOR. They're called codexes and datacrons. There's an entire system built for achievments. It's called Legacy. Again I'm starting to wonder if you even played the game. 

SWG did not have companions but had pets with CH, there was also the secret Jedi system.

The Jedi system stayed a secret until the first unlock. Then it was known to anyone with the ability to Google. Eventually the majority started going jedi, not just because they loved the profession, but because that was where all the new content was going. 

I always love when posters try to tell me what I like and what I don't. I enjoy crafting quite a bit and have made lots of money doing it in TOR. I like crafting. I just prefer the system in TOR better. Why is this concept so hard for you to understand? 

So you yourself enjjoyed repetitive content. Because that's all those missions were. I knew of no one that used those except to gain faction points or XP. You are the only one I've met that thought those boring mission terminals were fun content.  

Interesting. The only way you could have done that whole merry go round was if you paid two sub fees. SOE did not alllow you to have more than one character on the same server unless you either paid another sub fee, or unlocked jedi. After your monthly gripes about ONLY being allowed two characters in TOR's FTP system I never considered you as someone that would pay 30 a month for anything, even your great love SWG. 

And honestly, I never thought to do what you described with the terminals because it's stupid. I pay a monthly sub to PLAY a game. Not screw around and see how many NPCs I can get fighting each other. That's not deep gameplay. That's just horsing around. 

Not to forget the ongoing open world battles between Anchorhead and Bestine, created by players themselves. 

Players create battles by themselves all the time in TOR. There was one that just happened this past Tuesday right on Tattoine. Again, big whoop. 

The world was your oyster in SWG. There was endlless blah blah blah...

Skipping another soap box ...

I appreciated it fine for what it was.I just don't think it was as great as you do. It's called having a difference of opinion. 

I have played Heroics, Flashpoint etc, and they are all just the same as the main story quests, just harder.

In SWG the Heroics were different to the main quests (main quests were speak to NPC after NPC and go kill/collect X many things, but Heroics people had to work together and do various things in a mission to progress), but I did not do them either as found them too tough, I did not do the Invasions much, nor bothered with Restuss. What kept me and others playing SWG was the crafting, beast master pets and / or beast master crafting, housing, player cities, chronicles, space, player bounty hunting, creature hunting to sell hide BM stuff to crafters/BM crafters, the aspect of the game being alive, the seasonal events (SWTOR may do this again, but Life Day seems to show they have given up on them), factional take over of zones in planets, Theme parks becoming renewed content and then dailies once finished them etc  etc. These are all mainly stuff that was in SWG at the end, trying to remember what was in SWG at the beginning is not so easy, even after a year I am forgetting some stuff :(

Basically in SWG there was just more things to do, that take your time, keep you subbing.

In SWTOR with crafting you do not have to do much, and let your companions get it. To get the stuff in SWG it sometimes took hours to get the resources, and years to get the best resources. Crafting in SWG took up most your time, that you did not have time to play a combat char. In SWTOR it is better if you want to do both, but it is not real crafting. SWTOR crafting is like getting a frozen meal, and putting it in the oven or microwave, and never able to be a great cook like Jamie Oliver. SWG crafting is like full on cooking, where your kitchen ends up being a mess aftewards, and took you hours to prepare.

I personally prefer frozen dinners, as it is easy and quick, and will never be a great chef like Jamie Oilver,  just do not have the patience for real cooking, but I did for SWG crafting, so I can understand why YOU like SWTOR crafting, but it does not attract many people to stick to the game, it reduces the play time.

As for getting NPCs battling each other, I dicovered that after the NGE, but the spawning mechancis for the mission terminals never changed from day one. However I did sub many accounts as it was just so much fun. It is what got me into multi-boxing. The in game macro system helped, and is probably why they never nerfed it. The difference between the two, was that SWG was my choice, out of free will, to spend more money on SWG.  SOE / LA were not advertising people to buy / play with multiple accounts. Things like Life Day items in SWTOR is EA getting people to spend more money, they are advertising more game play for more money.

I do like having a companion in SWTOR, it is like multi-boxing 2 accounts without the need of having 2 accounts, but having more than 2 accounts in SWTOR is just pointless, as you get plenty of char slots per server now, and can not easily multibox, and there is no need for it.

I appreciate your opinion and I undersatnd that you prefer games that give you in the face quick and easy content,  instead of finding your own, so I can see why you like SWTOR over SWG.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

So,

I downloaded this again since it's F2P and wanted to see if I could play it like KOTOR.

Unfortunally I got the cash shop flung into my face at any opportunity. I can't even craft now without unlearning old tradeskills or pay up. My alt+<num> hotbar is gone severly decreasing playability. 

I'd be fine if they just let me play the single player parts of it without constantly trying to get me into the cash shop. I might even have dropped a buck or two on it to support them.

Now it's going back into the dust bin.