Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Sandbox games (in your opinion of course)

xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75

I'm looking for a solid sandbox... though I know a bunch are coming out sometime in the future, I'm just curious if anyone enjoys any right now. I've played EVE and though I dig quite a bit about it, something about it just doesn't pull me in as much as having an avatar that runs around doing things. I've done some research here and there but haven't found any good opinions easily found about it.

Thanks.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

IMO, EVE and UO.

*readies for the arrival of our local AoW contingent*

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

There are none. Devs saw the fields of harvesters and houses in SWG as a bad thing and nobody has made an Avatar Sandox since, that didn't have a FFA aspect to it. All FFA sandboxes end up in the crapper in less than a year, exception being EVE. Even UO saw where it was going and added Tramel.

Because onscreen in EVE converts to On grid and Local, akin to radar can be monitored from complete safety either cloaked or in a station and add the amount of unpopulated game space, it wasn't as easy for griefers to cripple basic game play, no matter how hard they try to this day. So EVE soldiers on.

Unless Devs create an Avatar style with the open game world style of SWG as it was after NGE when houses packed to inventory, add in some decay and maintenance features, there won't be one either.They need to make it Sandboxy without making it litter boxy.

• xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75

I never did try SWG. I was playing Dark Age of Camelot at that time. I wish I had tried it... wait... no, I'm glad I didn't so I wasn't furious like a ton of other people I hear are.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Eve

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu. 

They nailed it. They crazy thing is that it's just technically beta with zones and content missing, yet and still there is so much more to this game than the last four AAA mmos released.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by xSaintx

I never did try SWG. I was playing Dark Age of Camelot at that time. I wish I had tried it... wait... no, I'm glad I didn't so I wasn't furious like a ton of other people I hear are.

Me and several guild members stuck with SWG after the NGE launched, and we liked it. I personally liked the NGE better than pre-NGE. I felt pre-NGE was way too grindy. Besides, I mostly played my crafter and even the nerfed crafting was better than anything out today.

I really miss it. I haven't consistantly stuck with an mmo since it shut down.

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by bcbully

Age of Wushu. 

They nailed it. They crazy thing is that it's just technically beta with zones and content missing, yet and still there is so much more to this game than the last four AAA mmos released.

I dont know. I thought it was cool at first, but once you understand the systems and you get past the initial learning curve... meh?

I'm not sure this game can keep me interested.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Skyrim, Saints Row, Minecraft, SWG Emu, EVE, SimCity, or dare I say: Sims?

If you didn't like EVE, then you're pretty much stuck.  There is that robot one.... Perpetuum, but I found it to be a slow version of EVE.  Personally, I hit SWG Emu when I'm in the mood, but it never keeps me around.  As mentioned before, the pre-CU system was grindy.  IMO Minecraft has begun a generation of gamers that will seek that freedom in future gaming.  Sadly, it will be tablet gaming, but whatever, at least it will be sandbox...

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

I'm looking for a solid sandbox... though I know a bunch are coming out sometime in the future, I'm just curious if anyone enjoys any right now. I've played EVE and though I dig quite a bit about it, something about it just doesn't pull me in as much as having an avatar that runs around doing things. I've done some research here and there but haven't found any good opinions easily found about it.

Thanks.

Darkfall Unholy Wars once it's fixed and patched a bit more. The game has a massive gameworld, massive pvp battles on land and on sea (ships). Currently it's in beta but it's an openworld Sandbox MMO with FFA PvP. 

Another fun Sandbox MMO that was recently revived from the grave was Asheron's Call 2, you can get it with an Asherons Call Subscription, believe there's one server available. AC1 on the Darktide server was one of the best Sandbox Games of all time, but it's been out for 10+ years, that said it's still alive and kicking with a cult following.

For Sandbox Games coming out, there's a few that are supposed to be released this year, keep an eye out for ArcheAge, DayZ Standalone, The Elder Scrolls Online I believe will be a sandbox but I'm not 100%. There's a few more solid ones that I'm forgetting but 2013 should be a good year for sandbox games.

GL and Godspeed,

Ripper X

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Age of Wushu is really good. If you wish to push deeper into the Sandbox side Face of Mankind is as Sandbox as it gets, however The farther you go down that road the more Social Requirements the games get.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Only single player ones for me, but Terraria and Saints Row the Third would be this.

Darkfall isn't something I've tried, but I've heard Holy Wars is supposed to be pretty solid. I'm down for the high/risk reward games more so than the walk around aimlessly trying to find stuff to do. I don't want a digital pet to take care of so much as I want to be a fighter, who also crafts, and makes money and can do any of those while also managing to stay alive from bandits and such. I like DayZ quite a bit, but there's something missing from that recipe. I think DayZ standalone will turn into something nice if they continue to add other things in it. I don't need end game, but I do need variety. I'm all over the place in this, but has anyone tried Salem? I just got a beta key for that.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

darkfall 1 was the best sandbox for me..

Only thing is that Uw is pretty bad game.. its going half themepark and the combat is terribad..

Av broke my heart with this new unholy wars..

Altho there many new sandboxes coming out soonisch so.. haven''t tried age of wagsu yet.. might take a look @ that

Didn''t get into eve @ all.pvp is too boring for me... but eve is mostlikely the best sandbox on market...

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Silverchild

Age of Wushu. 

I dont know. I thought it was cool at first, but once you understand the systems and you get past the initial learning curve... meh?

Same here, once I figured it all out it just felt "meh". 

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    AoW is decent but it does not grab me like SWG did. I am waiting for The Repopulation.

Anyone take a look at Perpetuum?

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Shameless copy of Eve. Why not just play Eve? Its pretty much the only half decent sandbox on the market. The one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

There are none. They are all open world pvp deathmatch games, disguised as a sandbox.

So that only leaves Ryzom for the more modern MMOs.

There is of course UO and PvE Asheron's Call servers...for older games.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

tried the trial.  There were only 100 people logged onto the server and probably less that were actually human

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Silverchild

Age of Wushu. 

Same here. Lost any interest in it. Didn't even jump into this last beta

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Mabinogi

• tuneinwilltuneinwill Member UncommonPosts: 12

1. Ultima Online

2. Eve Online

Both of them are very good, but I enjoy playing Ultima more because icon battles wear on me after a while.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

Thanks.

The only one I would recommend is UO, even with it's outdated graphics and clunky gameplay I'm seriously considering resubbing because as pretty as GW and LoTRO are and as easy as WoW is to play, they just don't grab me like UO did.  The only thing holding me back is knowing how much I enjoyed it before the elves arrived and fear that it's gotten worse.  Should you decide to give it a try, definitely go with the Atlantic server as I believe it's the busiest and in UO, you do need other players to both play with as well as buy from and sell to for an optimal experience.  Oh yea, it's mouse driven unless that's changed too so you may want to practise those carpal tunnel exercises. :)

I was thinking about UO, but it looks pretty dated and I wasn't sure if anyone even plays it now days. I know nothing about it except I hear it was a first for many and it had full loot (I think?). What's wrong with the elves?

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

I was thinking about UO, but it looks pretty dated and I wasn't sure if anyone even plays it now days. I know nothing about it except I hear it was a first for many and it had full loot (I think?). What's wrong with the elves?

It's not the elves per se it's the change in gameplay that that expansion brought.  Just give the free trial a try and judge for yourself.  I hear they now keep trial players confined to the beginners island with the newish questgivers so not sure if you will get a proper feel from the game like you used to be able to, but at least you will be able to judge for yourself if you're willing to give them $10 to give it a real try after that.  G'luck and I may see you there. :)