Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the facination with MOBA's?

2»

Comments

• LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

Extremely competitive teamplay environment

Low Skill Floor with High Skill Ceiling

No 2 games ever play out the same

Always more to learn and new stuff to try

Wide variety of roles to play (melee and ranged AD/AP, tank, support, etc)

Usually a gigantic amount of variety in playable characters

I could probably list more but that's a few reasons off the top of my head.  Currently all my MMO's are collecting dust while I play LoL like it's a crack addiction.

I agree with this, however, the condensed list for me would look more like this:

- Competition (PvP)

- I can improve my skill, learn and try different things (Note: when I stop improving/learning in a competitive game, I'll get bored and move to a different game).

- I want to say Team-play or cooperation, but I really don't get a sense of it in DOTA 2 (yet?), probably because I'm a total newbie who's playing with other newbies or maybe I only enjoy it when I play with people I'm aquainted with reasonably well.

Other Remarks:

I want to mention that it's easy to understand a lot of what I'd need to do from just watching 1 game of DOTA (e.g., on youtube), which helped draw me into it in the first place (by familiarizing myself with the game); in contrast, other games/genres, say, the fighting game genre, it's not easy to understand how to play just from looking at matches due to the great importance of weird/non-obvious mechanics, attack priorities, timing, etc.

Background/Experience:

I've only played 2 pvp matches in Dota 2 so far (and it's my first time playing any Dota-like game), so I'm still learning. I tried like 3 different heroes so far, and I found them pretty boring to play except for "Invoker".

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by Pynda

Lord I hate people who won't take the five seconds necessary to spell out an acronym before going on to pontificate about it.

But you win. You're cool, I'm stupid and I admit I have no idea wtf (what the fuck) you are talking about.

Highlight, right click, Search Google for MOBA

Lord I hate people who won't take the 3 seconds necessary to google an acronym before going on to pontificate about its supposed inappropriate pontification.

Calm down dude.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Blizzard rumored to add a MOBA feature to WoW. I tried LoL, but cant quite grasp the pleasure that MMO-consumers get from these kind of games.

What is the facination with MOBA's?

It seem so small scale. 5 vs 5 or less, just doesnt seem massive. Honestly small scale PvP is what I disliked about my favorite FPS games back in the Halo 1& 2 days.

I figured MMO players like massive scale multiplayer. But MOBA's popularity among MMO gamers counters that theory.

So I ask again. Whats is the facination with MOBA's among MMO gamers?

The first, most obvious response is news flash: MMOs are comprised of MANY components, and players are obviously drawn to MMOs for equally as many reasons.  Players aren't just like "massive or GTFO!" 

The second obvious response is MOBAs aren't MMOs, so players don't usually approach MOBA games with MMO expectations.  You'd be hardpressed to find an MMO gamer who doesn't also play other games of some sort.  There are simply people who play MMOs who also play MOBAs, just like there are players who play MMOs and also play FPSes.  

That said, there are several reasons MMO gamers may also be attracted to MOBAs specifically: 

First, they're also PC, online, multiplayer games just like MMOs.  Factor in a game like League of Legend's accessibility (it's free to play and consists of quick pick-up matches that last form 20-40 minutes on average), and you can see how easy it is for you to just log on and play a quick game with your MMO friends in Vent/TS. 

Second, the pvp gameplay is fun (subjective), responsive, and rewarding when you execute properly.  The rush of small-scale pvp is still there.  You're up against other players, afterall.  The necessity of teamwork and strategy is as great or greater, in many cases, than most MMO arenas or battlegrounds.  The diversity of compositions exceeds nearly every MMO.  

Third, every game of a MOBA features fast-paced, rewarding, addicting progression.  In LoL, for example, you start off at level 1 and work your way to level 18.  As you level, you choose which abilities you acquire and upgrade and what items you build.  You look forward to getting your ultimate and possibly going for the kill every single time.  Players love experiencing the sensation of getting stronger and stronger, and they get to feel that in every single match of a MOBA.  

Forth, diversity and extraordinarily high replayability.  Players tailor their runes, masteries, abilities, and in game item build to each unique match, based on your team's comp and the enemy team's comp.  You usually don't have the freedom to make those mid-match adjustments in MMOs.  The diversity is virtually limitless.  You can play 100 games with just one champion and still not encounter every lane matchup and still have tons to learn about that champion.  Then you try just one new champion and the dynamics of how you approach the game and your role completely change for 100 more games.  

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I personally do not enjoy MOBAs at all, but as much as I dislike WoW, they have a solid idea in implimenting a MOBA type minigame into the MMO.

Actually, the reason I dislike MOBAs is because they lack the persistent world outside of the arena which is what draws me to MMOs to begin with.  Combining the two should be interesting.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by redcapp

I personally do not enjoy MOBAs at all, but as much as I dislike WoW, they have a solid idea in implimenting a MOBA type minigame into the MMO.

Actually, the reason I dislike MOBAs is because they lack the persistent world outside of the arena which is what draws me to MMOs to begin with.  Combining the two should be interesting.

You are missing the point. The whole point of MOBA is that it is NOT massive gameplay .. and it is small team vs small team .. so a) it is fair (in fact, LOL & other MOBA use ELO scoring or a variation to make it as fair as possible), b) you can contribute and coordinate, c) there is a competition e-sport ladder to climb.

A massive persistent world will change all that.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Personally I never found the appeal for MOBA games.  I did enjoy DotA when it was on Warcraft III a decade or so ago, but that was only as a fan made map of a game I enjoyed.

Nowadays I see so many people watching LoL on Twitch and I can't comprehend it.  It's the same map over and over again with the same goals and yet there are 50,000 people at any time watching it.  Perhaps it has something to do with sports as well, as I can't fathom why Sports are interesting for the same reason.  In that light there is significant research we could bring over such as just rooting for "your" team, whether it's local or not.

I could understand watching people play Let's Plays if they're entertaining, mainly because it's on different games and those games do multiple things.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Personally I never found the appeal for MOBA games.  I did enjoy DotA when it was on Warcraft III a decade or so ago, but that was only as a fan made map of a game I enjoyed.

Nowadays I see so many people watching LoL on Twitch and I can't comprehend it.  It's the same map over and over again with the same goals and yet there are 50,000 people at any time watching it.  Perhaps it has something to do with sports as well, as I can't fathom why Sports are interesting for the same reason.  In that light there is significant research we could bring over such as just rooting for "your" team, whether it's local or not.

I could understand watching people play Let's Plays if they're entertaining, mainly because it's on different games and those games do multiple things.

You cannot understand it does not make it less true.

The whole nation of South Korea is crazy about e-sports, particularly SC2, and LOL. While you may not understand it, pro players got girls screaming for them when they are playing a match. Can you imagine that?

It is just a perfect example of what others enjoy may not be what you enjoy.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

This isn't news to you at all, but current MMO gamers are largely casuals in favor if controlled, instanced PvP over open world. With this in mind it's a no brainer how and why a MMO gamer of today become attracted to MOBAs. MOBAs are very close to Arenas and Battlegrounds.

I personally enjoy MOBAs with friends. Joining a session with strangers is too toxic for my taste.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Kinda bugs me LoL is an esport, yet most people laugh at the notion of MMO pvp being ever being an esport. LoL is easily just as imbalanced, if not more so, than some of the best MMOs (WoW, GW2, WAR, even TOR). Not to mention being infinitely easier...

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

I personally love MOBA's because of how competitive they can be when you strive to better yourself at the game..

Same reason why I used to love fps games and MMO's. These genres have gotten a bit stale over the past few years or so though imo.

The days of highschool sports are behind me so i gots to get my fix somewhere.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by redcapp

You are missing the point. The whole point of MOBA is that it is NOT massive gameplay .. and it is small team vs small team .. so a) it is fair (in fact, LOL & other MOBA use ELO scoring or a variation to make it as fair as possible), b) you can contribute and coordinate, c) there is a competition e-sport ladder to climb.

A massive persistent world will change all that.

I'm not missing the point at all.  I clearly get that, hence 'I personally do not....'

Lol.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    People love competing against one another and MOBAs are fun. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I'm with the OP on this one: I just dont see what's so fun about any of these either.....You'd think LoL is the greatest game since WoW if you jsut looked at ratings and the population, but when you actually play it you wonder wtf?.......
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yeah I don't get it.

Fun for an hour or two, no idea how people can sink so much time into MOBA's.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Yeah I don't get it.

People sink hundreds of hours in competitve multiplayer games all the time.

COD, BF3, FIFA, StarCraft2, Counter Strike, TF2 etc.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Yeah I don't get it.

What does time have to do with fun? Whether it is an hour a session, or 30 min has zero impact on how fun a game is.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Dota style games are competitive skill based 5v5 matches that last around 45 minutes. 

In most games of these types there are over 80 classes (heroes, champs) with unique skills that need to be mastered.

This game type offers competitive play along with progression within the map (Levels, items, skills). 

Every player needs to fill a role in the group and not only understand his hero but the other teams and have at least a basic understanding of that players abilities. 

Its a little Rts, a little rpg, a little tower defense.

In short its a game of skill that appeals to both Rts, ARPG and MMO pvp players. 

For me i find all aspects of the game exciting. Its a easy game to grasp but an extremely difficult game to master.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Yeah I don't get it.

Really? Honestly? You can't tell why someone else might enjoy something else? Not even a little?

If that's true, and you're not the only one, then it would explain the level of intolerance on these forums.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky