Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: Part 1 of Secrets of the Dragon's Spine Launches

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has announced that the latest update has been applied to Age of Conan servers. The patch brings the first part of the Secrets of the Dragon's Spine into the game and gives players a completely new zone to explore.

Update 4.0 opens the gates to the brand new playfield "Dragon's Spine" and is the first part of "The Secrets of Dragon's Spine" update series which provides players with all new Hyborian experiences as they venture to the desert region located south and west of the ancient city of Pteion. Rippling desert dunes stretches for miles in every direction from the spine, lifeless, except for a small oasis in the mountain’s shadow, and treacherous caves and tunnels weave in and out of the mountain rock. But men are not the only beings to have forged a thriving civilization in the desolate desert, many secrets lay buried beneath the sands.

Also available now is the group instance "Sepulcher of the Wyrm".

The new content is available to Premium players exclusively.

Check out the full notes on the Age of Conan EU forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    One of the most restrictive F2P games out there in very close competition with SWTOR. Funcom should know better after TSW went B2P that AoC should have followed. Instead they release new content for an empty game...why???

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    AOC has some dedicated players. But I agree, after the success of TSW relaunch maybe AOC should go the same path.
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I always liked AoC. It's really a good game with lots of character and quality imo. If only f2p was better so people actually played it.
  • iozayiozay Member UncommonPosts: 29
    They actually removed a lot of limitations with the TSW buy to play launch ^^
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    One of the most restrictive F2P games out there in very close competition with SWTOR. Funcom should know better after TSW went B2P that AoC should have followed. Instead they release new content for an empty game...why???

SWTOR restrictive?, funny, because i have Guildies with F2P acc, doing endgame Operations every single week. 

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by coxyroxy
    AOC has some dedicated players. But I agree, after the success of TSW relaunch maybe AOC should go the same path.

I am not understanding this...

Why would they relaunch AoC as a buy to play when its currently free? Why dont they just actually go FREE 2 PLAY by opening up 100% of the game like ACTUAL FREE 2 PLAY games and put some time into making that horrible shop, better? Its already been proven over the years that freemium and B2P games cant touch the revenue of an average F2P game, those things have made Nexon the second most profitable gaming company on the planet, next to only EA which has some insanely popular IPs.

Also..."the success of TSW relaunch"? I really love how people are saying things like this with no information to actually base that on. The AoC forums were filled with people saying the same thing about it going F2P and you can also see it on the SWTOR forums.

Well, look at AoC now, the servers are light in population and as for SWTOR, they are only heavy because they combined their servers into mega-servers placing all their sub players together, and the F2P is still new so that population is inflated with players that wont be playing long. TSW is no different. The game isnt as good as AoC in most ways so it has a hole to dig itself out of in order to keep people playing...no sub or not.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by hikaru77

SWTOR restrictive?, funny, because i have Guildies with F2P acc, doing endgame Operations every single week. 

No, you dont.

You need a weekly pass to access Operations and once you spend $4.99 you become a preferred status player, not a F2P player...thus it is restrictive just with THAT let alone all the other things on the very LONG list of things F2P players cannot do.

SWTOR is not F2P, its freemium and the only single thing F2P players can access without restriction is story mode. Heck, you cant even SEND emails...

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

I have been having a lot of fun with AoC since I started playing it about a month ago as a f2p player and while I understand they have to make their money somehow it's kind of dissturbing they mentioned multiple times in their December Dev Update that this xpac would be free and was for everybody, not just subscribers and now apparently thats not the case at all :

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i would really like funcom to do the same with this game has they did with TSW..i think it would make a great difference to the population.it is a brilliant game and the combat is just amazing.just dont understand why they are doing an expansion for this game..i can understand added content but they really dont have the population  to cover the costs imo..i maybe wrong and hope i am.

i woud'nt hesitate but to go back to the game..you never know they may have something planned on release of the expansion..i really hope so.because this is another funcom game that deserves a good population

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Why would they relaunch AoC as a buy to play when its currently free? Why dont they just actually go FREE 2 PLAY by opening up 100% of the game like ACTUAL FREE 2 PLAY games and put some time into making that horrible shop, better? Its already been proven over the years that freemium and B2P games cant touch the revenue of an average F2P game, those things have made Nexon the second most profitable gaming company on the planet, next to only EA which has some insanely popular IPs.

Also..."the success of TSW relaunch"? I really love how people are saying things like this with no information to actually base that on. The AoC forums were filled with people saying the same thing about it going F2P and you can also see it on the SWTOR forums.

Well, look at AoC now, the servers are light in population and as for SWTOR, they are only heavy because they combined their servers into mega-servers placing all their sub players together, and the F2P is still new so that population is inflated with players that wont be playing long. TSW is no different. The game isnt as good as AoC in most ways so it has a hole to dig itself out of in order to keep people playing...no sub or not.

There is information to base it on...Funcom financial report said player activity is up 300% in TSW since b2p. They have also reached the 700k units sold mark. SO yea success...should check your own info before calling others out.

I played AOC on release...after the first part of the game it became a boring, unfished grindfest..I really liked the setting and some of the ideas the game had, it was just so poorly executed..

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Why would they relaunch AoC as a buy to play when its currently free? Why dont they just actually go FREE 2 PLAY by opening up 100% of the game like ACTUAL FREE 2 PLAY games and put some time into making that horrible shop, better?

I guess they're thinking the model is fine as it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm bashing their f2p model since they launched it (in a friendly tone of course, I love the game :) ), but I have to admit, maybe they're right. The game is fine, since f2p they released Turan, the new pvp server, now Dragon's Spine - and don't forget TSW...

The truth is, as the post above says, AoC REALLY has dedicated players, one of them is typing here right now :) Maybe Funcom just don't want to stir the waters with a new pricing model until there are enough subscribers to maintain the current level. And actually they loosed up the f2p restrictions a bit along with TSW's b2p transition, so it's a pretty decent f2p offer now. Still has some issues, but it's not that harsh as it was before.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by hikaru77

No, you dont.

You need a weekly pass to access Operations and once you spend $4.99 you become a preferred status player, not a F2P player...thus it is restrictive just with THAT let alone all the other things on the very LONG list of things F2P players cannot do.

SWTOR is not F2P, its freemium and the only single thing F2P players can access without restriction is story mode. Heck, you cant even SEND emails...

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Now that is F2P done better than most.  Encouraging freeloaders to spend some money, even if it's only 5 bucks to open up Operations.  I think companies are beginning to learn that unrestrictive F2P is not only making them very little if any money at all, it's also not healthy for the gaming population that subsidizes the freeloaders.