Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you enjoy grouping up?

This is a very simple thread, and at the same time one that will no doubt baffle me. The question is simple, do you like to group up, or do you prefer to stick to yourself in an MMO? 

Sub question - Do you get involved with guilds beyond guild benefits, when I say benefits I mean EXP increasees, drop rate bonuses etc, not the bonuses of having a group of raiders/people you know and can play with well.

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

To put it bluntly, it depends.

It depends on a lot of things, like my mood, what I am trying to accomplish, how many people I need, and how easy it is to find said people.

Most of the time, I find that I get more done faster by just going solo, and I dont have to share loot.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I like grouping up only if it's entirely optional.   By that I mean not just content.   If there are tangible benefits to my character's power for being in a guild, then I consider that mandatory.

"You can't attempt this task unless you have at least X friends with you..." is my most hated statement in MMOs.

If I group up because the game demands it, them I'm resentful the entire time I'm in that group.   That's bound to make me more irritable and less welcoming of others.

I can determine my willingness to even attempt a new game with two questions:

1.  Is PvP optional?   If not, I'm gone.

2.  Is there forced grouping?   If yes, I'm gone.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I enjoy grouping very much. Just not with asshats.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

For the most part I play games to escape from other people, even within MMO's. I don't mind grouping with others as needed and have even joined guilds and got quite social in them. My default is solo though as I can go at my own pace (I find general questing a pain with others because they are just so slow and seem to have to go afk when I am there and get impatient when I am afk).

But most of the time I find other people annoying in RPG's because they do not RP. If people were to RP then I would be more inclined to be more social. Games I have played where I joined a guild were the ones where most of the server was into RP and so I could see the benefits of having an 'identity'.

But even if I do join a guild I do so to have others to goup with for group quests or raids or for some PvP. I do not get into the whole guild politics thing, don't aspire to any leadership position and do not really use it to know people out of game but rather as a tool for in game.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Sure, just don't "force" me to.

oh- and theres a stickied post on the top of this board for this question  image

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Nah, why share XP?

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• drowelfdrowelf Member UncommonPosts: 114
    more or less the same, it depens on how i feel at the time, and what i am trying to do.  More offten than not i play solo, not meny gulidies on line as i am,
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Depends.

Hate DDOs as it is just a zerg fest, people always rushing through the quest or if you have a CC sorc or wiz (infinate CC on all mobs cept the mosses and mini bosses)the quest is completely trivilized and is a faceroll.

AoC I LOVED grouping.  2 tanks or a real tank n an off tank (there is no single tank since the mechanics were that heals were not heal bot mechanics), 2 different kinds of healers, 2 DPS.  Early dungeons was challenging at level and was great experiance.

I like grouping as I play an MMO for the multiplayer experiance and not for a single player experiance *cough*SWTOR*cough*.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Ugg computer at work..posted twice. Sorry.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

When a game doesn't require grouping, in general, no. It's quicker to solo, you can take breaks whenever you want, all the loot is your, and since I like reading quest text I have all the time in the world.

Obiovusly for MMOs that required grouping, it depends on a few things. In EQ, and to a lesser extent FFXI(didn't like FFXI's interface), I enjoyed grouping. I would chat with the other group members while someone pulled some random creature for us to murder. Sure it took awhile to get groups and now that I'm working I might not like my free time being spent sitting around for groups, but it got me to know more people on the server. I also prefered grouping in MMOs whose dungeons were public and not instanced. Sure instanced are faster paced since you keep moving forward and camping can be pretty darn boring at times, but it did make me excited whenever we moved to a new camp in a part of the dungeon I hadn't seen before.

Sorry was going off topic, but what I'm trying to say is I like grouping when each mob is actually at least a mild challange. Not like your one click from dying from A_Burly_Gnoll_023 but if everyone was screwing around there being a chance of things getting nasty real quick. The reason for that being people will be more focused on the task at hand, interacting and working with your group, while at the same time not having to focus on constantly moving through the same dungeon's boss for the 1000th time.

So what I'm trying to say is.....I like groups when grouping lends itself to meeting and getting to know more of your servers community. Several faster paced mmos don't seem to do that. I know I could get to know group members or at least try even on mmos like WoW, it just seems easier on slower paced games.

Oh and as for guilds. I join them to have people to chat with more or less.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

With friends, family and my guildmates - Yes

Random groups - No

On the sub question, it all depends on what I can do to contribute to the guild In EQ2, I really liked the fact that everything i did passively contributed to the guild. In UO, SB, EVE and Puzzle Pirates I took a more active role in the guild because our guild always had some kind of goal or objective we were working toward.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I've enjoyed it a lot, when the game supports people getting to know eachother gradually, and grouping up, if they get along well.  I think more MMOs need a freeform co-op element, like public grouping, or open raids, where people benefit from communicating enough that they'd actually do it.   

I hate grouping with random strangers.  I used to do a lot of that, but it's just gone way too wrong, way too often, and frankly, I'm sick of it.

Grouping is dying in MMOs, because devs are not even trying to get creative about the issue.  They're just sticking to the same old barebones social frameworks, that've been around since EQ.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    It depends solely on group but gererally I enjoy grouping up for harder content. Sometimes I like to wander on my own though so I'd like to have both options available. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I only enjoy grouping with nice, laid back people.

Otherwise "no", I would prefer to be on my own.

I believe in the guild as family so I believe that I can and should be a part of making that guild a great place to be. Whether that's helping new players or running a dungeon upteen times so that  everyone has a chance at it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I enjoy grouping.  I don't like PUGs or automated groups.  I want to group with people I have contact with on a regular basis, like guildies.  Anonymous grouping just breeds toxic behavior because of lack of accountability.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Call me traditional, but I enjoy grouping because its an MMO, not a single-player video game. I cannot stand the direction modern devs are going with making soloing optional and even going so far to allow players to join multiple guilds. 
  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

I enjoy having a virtual society formed by many human controled characters that delivers political, social, diplomatic, psychological, moral and tactical challenges to me (like in a virtual world). To group is only a tiny portion of it.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I've found I play for the community first, not game mechanics... so it depends entirely on the people.

I *love* grouping. And I won't just group up for achievement, I'll group for the enjoyment of it all... So I vastly prefer inadequate but courteous players to skilled jerks who suck the enjoyment out of everyone but the strictly reward-minded.

Similarly, I'm OK with wiping on a boss for hours on end with a fun guild while an efficient run with a much-too-uptight guild bores me to tears after a while.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Only with mature people and only in my guild. I've had too many bad experiences with drama queens, asshats and morons in my MMO experience to trust random groups anymore. I mostly solo and only group if a guildie needs help or a special weekly event.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Grouping is the reason I play mmorpg's and not single player games.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Nikopol

I've found I play for the community first, not game mechanics... so it depends entirely on the people.

I *love* grouping. And I won't just group up for achievement, I'll group for the enjoyment of it all... So I vastly prefer inadequate but courteous players to skilled jerks who suck the enjoyment out of everyone but the strictly reward-minded.

Similarly, I'm OK with wiping on a boss for hours on end with a fun guild while an efficient run with a much-too-uptight guild bores me to tears after a while.

I can't agree with this enough. I would rather lose with winners, than win with losers.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I was thinking of starting a thread but this seems a good place.

Normally I solo or play with a friend.   Last night I was playing Fallen Earth and thought, why don't I ask if someone needs any help and see what happens.

So I put out a message asking if anyone could use some help and sure enough a guy ( I think)  says yea , I could use some better equipment.  So we compare equipment and I say, yea I think I can make you some better stuff than that.  I pointed out that a belt, some boots and a jacket would be a big improvement.

So off I go to the next town and I start crafting him the belt and boots.  I figure what the hell I will use my own mats for that.   As I am crafting he comes on and asks "Do you have any money, I am really low and would like to buy this knife"  I ask him how much and it is an amount that he could easily have made himself in about 30 minutes of scavenging.  So I say sorry, I am not a bank, and explain this to him.

Finally I have his boots and belt ready and tell him he can come and pick them up. 

His first words to me.... " No jacket? :( "

So I politely say, "you would have to contribute a little to that if you want it"

And as I say "Cya mate!" he goes off into the night without even a thank you.

And I think to myself, "That was so rewarding I can't wait to do it again!!" 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Yes and no, i dont mind grouping and enjoy it most times, but also like my solo times just so i can go explore and take my time.
  • SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I enjoy grouping when I can be helpful. If I group to be a leech, I would rather not group at all and go play solo till I have something to contribute.... However, I see the opposite of my approach seems to be the norm. People grouping to get something out of it, instead of contributing to the fun.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Boneserino

I was thinking of starting a thread but this seems a good place.

Normally I solo or play with a friend.   Last night I was playing Fallen Earth and thought, why don't I ask if someone needs any help and see what happens.

So I put out a message asking if anyone could use some help and sure enough a guy ( I think)  says yea , I could use some better equipment.  So we compare equipment and I say, yea I think I can make you some better stuff than that.  I pointed out that a belt, some boots and a jacket would be a big improvement.

So off I go to the next town and I start crafting him the belt and boots.  I figure what the hell I will use my own mats for that.   As I am crafting he comes on and asks "Do you have any money, I am really low and would like to buy this knife"  I ask him how much and it is an amount that he could easily have made himself in about 30 minutes of scavenging.  So I say sorry, I am not a bank, and explain this to him.

Finally I have his boots and belt ready and tell him he can come and pick them up. 

His first words to me.... " No jacket? :( "

So I politely say, "you would have to contribute a little to that if you want it"

And as I say "Cya mate!" he goes off into the night without even a thank you.

And I think to myself, "That was so rewarding I can't wait to do it again!!" 

I've had similar experiences.

"If you give a mouse a cookie he's gonna ask for a glass of milk."

Don't give away free stuff.  It never ends well.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville