Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile: Open Beta Coming January 23rd

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Grinding Gear Games has announced that the open beta for its much-anticipated action-RPG, Path of Exile, will officially kick off on January 23rd. The open beta will also mark the debut of Act 3, an area of the game that closed beta testers have not yet seen.

Key features of Path of Exile:

• A dark and deep action RPG

• Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree

• Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies

• Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective

• Download and play for free, but never 'pay-to-win'

• Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability

• Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful

• Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world

• Ascend online ladders in every game mode

• Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition

Find out more on the Path of Exile site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Yey, I guess...
  • AyuroxAyurox Member UncommonPosts: 64

lol my first impression of the game when I just even saw the trailer for the 1st time

Diablo 2 ^^

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

This game is really good, looking forward to OBT.  I stopped playing CBT solely because I don't want to invest a lot of time an energy when I've been made aware of a server wipe for OBT.

The game more than likely wouldn't be wiped between OBT and release, so I'm going to go all out then :D

Definitely don't judge this game until you have downloaded it and participated yourself.  The game does scream Diablo, however, I found myself logging out of D3 to play this quite often.  I ended up coming to the determination that I liked this game, it's music, and it's leveling pattern FAR more than I liked D3's.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Yeah final wipe is before OBT, which means it's finally time to play some POE. It's a good game, I preferred D3 to it until I hit inferno - then I decided I didn't want to play a gold farming game. 23rd is on my calendar!
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

This game is so much deeper than any of the Diablo games. It's what Diablo 3 should have been.

It looks a lot like Diablo 2, but the depth and complexity of the skill system, the barter system, and progression make it much better.

There are several server types (realms) to choose from, e.g., general, open pvp, hardcore pvp, cut-throat pvp (enemy drops all items) etc.

If this game somewhat interests you, go to their website and read more about it. You will be shocked at how "adult" it really is.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    In many ways, PoE is far better than George Lucas's Diablo 3. Try it!
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I agree it is at the top of the ARPG chain.

They also have plans for servers with full PvP and zones that are full public, as in no instances (though they probably won't be there for release).

The maps that drop are awesome. Randomized locations you can go to and the maps have different stats on them that can increase the risk but also the reward. A feature that D3 needs BADLY.

The skill system is easily the best in any ARPG ever made. The passives system on it's own is overwhelming and full of possibilities but the socketed skills are also excellent.. giving you options such as only having shield skills actually socketed in your shield, so you only have them when you are using your shield and can use something different when you arn't.

It's a shame the (free for all) loot system is terrible when playing with others.. meaning most of your time is spent trying to leg it to your allocated loot before it becomes public. If someone is killing things just off screen then any loot that drops from their kills will be open to everyone in a matter of seconds, usually before you've even seen it. The items in the game look ugly as well.. everything is just tooooo dirty.

It's a shame it doesn't have the polish of other titles because the systems and mechanics in place are some of the best I've ever seen.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    I recommend everyone to try this game out, it's not for everyone but if it is for you then you will enjoy it alot.
  • BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78
    all the streamers that where streaming D3 are streaming this now wonder why?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Alalala

but is it better than torchlight II... which, im not seeing tbh, im not really that great of a fan of these top down games, diablo 3 was too much of a cash grab with some crazy rmt system thrown in, torchlight was way better than diablo imo, PoE just looks like another diablo varient, even down to the health and mana pools, it looks like it may be a good game from a technical viewpoint but im not sure we really need or want more diablo clones. image

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    i never heard of this game i will surely check it out.
  • MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Can't wait for open beta, gonna be so fun.
  • DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Diablo 3 Selling Point : THE SEQUEL TO THE BEST ARPG EVER!

Torchlight 2 Selling Point : WE HAVE DEVELOPERS FROM THE BEST ARPG EVER!

Path of Exile Selling Point : We took the things that made classic ARPG's memorable and then gave them ten years of polish.

• SiDimaSiDima Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond

let me correct that:

Torchlight 2 Selling Point: ITS FUN!

• JynxxJynxx Member Posts: 21
    Going to give this a shot for sure.  Looks like an improved Diablo which isn't a bad thing.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    This game is so good. In my opinion the best ARPG of my lifetime. I played and beat diablo 1 and 2. I never played beyond beating it. This gives me the same fun feelings of exploration and hidden monsters nearby. When deep in a dark dungeon, vision becomes limited. Fear what is coming for it might just one shot your face in! PoE is a great game. Kudos to grinding gear games.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Originally posted by SiDima
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond

let me correct that:

Torchlight 2 Selling Point: ITS FUN!

Path of Exile Selling Point: We did it right. Play us.

Hero Evermore

Oh I also did not buy diablo 3. I played the beta to 12 and could tell it was not my cup of tea. Just relevant for my opinions of my favorite ARPG. I usually just play mmorpgs. Just try out PoE if you like top view rpgs. This game is a blast. You can do things solo and play it all by yourself for free. The games currency isnt even a gold value it uses real in game items as currency. So amazing.

Hero Evermore

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Alalala

but is it better than torchlight II... which, im not seeing tbh, im not really that great of a fan of these top down games, diablo 3 was too much of a cash grab with some crazy rmt system thrown in, torchlight was way better than diablo imo, PoE just looks like another diablo varient, even down to the health and mana pools, it looks like it may be a good game from a technical viewpoint but im not sure we really need or want more diablo clones. image

I like both TL II and PoE, but they're just very different. TL II goes for quirky graphics and over-the-top loot galore, and it's Fun that way.

PoE goes for mature themes, incredible complexity and does many things VERY much different from either TL II and Diablo 3. For example, it does not have Gold as currency, but a vast array of different Orbs that are in turn used to manipulate and change existing equipment - they're currency and tools at the same time.

The passive skill tree is vast, and every class has access to it - only the starting point differs. So, yes, you can have a Ranger that specializes in curses, resurrects minions and supports them with a bow. You can have a witch that wields sword'n'board. You can have a ranged marauder that uses bows. And so on, and so on.

If I wanted to compare the three, I would say: TL II for a fun romp every now and then, PoE as my main title, and D3 to point out to developers how not to do an isometric ARPG.

But yeah, if experimentation and rerolling and doing your own thing is not for you, you won't have much fun with PoE. If you rely on "the best build" to enjoy such a game, then stay away. Please, it's for your own good.

Otherwise i would definitely give it a try. PoE is a shining example that a small team can make a truly engaging game. Yes, the graphics are not as polished as D3's. But they more than get the job done, and they create a better atmosphere than the undecided, lackluster style of D3.