Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ex-players, what is ONE new feature / change that would bring you back?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The implication of the thread title is that this is for someone who left, which I of course haven't. So to tack onto that, as someone who still plays and enjoys the game immensely, what would I change or add? Well... that's a tougher question when you're comfortable with where things are and where they're going... but what I'd personally like to see is fishing and their flare on it (not just a cast, catch, rinse repeat thing). Have the poles be craftable, with up to a legendary pole being available. Have it actually change your skillbar the way weapons do, with fishing specific skills that turn it into more of a minigame rather than a "watch the bobber and click" thing. "Cast", for example, could channel for distance with direction determined by facing. Have things play a factor in which fish you could catch, such as depth and bait, which would of course require a tackle box containing lures, bobbers, etc that you would apply to set depth (surface, middle, bottom for example). They could do a lot with that. 

Also tie it to the dynamic event system. It could be a simple as a fishing "event" that restocks an NPC who rewards you with, for example, a crafting recipe for a new bait or pole or even a cooking recipe or perhaps something more dramatic, such as hooking into a champion level krait that doesn't appreciate being hooked. 

Done right in the GW2 universe fishing could be an absolute blast with effects rippling through the game, from new foods to events kicking off. Imagine fishing in WvW just because you can at a supply camp and hooking something that winds up sieging your camp... yeah, chaos rocks.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    For me it would be personal and permanent progression in WvW by killing enemy players and not by taking keeps (kind of like DAoC's realm points). WvW feels pointless right now, this feature would change everything.

For me, it will be entire server closure and declaration of bankruptcy followed by Full Refund.

Originally posted by KoreanSoWhat
    For me it would be personal and permanent progression in WvW by killing enemy players and not by taking keeps (kind of like DAoC's realm points). WvW feels pointless right now, this feature would change everything.

For me, it will be entire server closure and declaration of bankruptcy followed by Full Refund.

How would that "bring you back", or did you forget the topic while drifting off into an illusion of self-cleverness?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Volkon

How would that "bring you back", or did you forget the topic while drifting off into an illusion of self-cleverness?

It will defenitely bring me back, to their website, for a short one-minute-laughter.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

-Give us a good Trinity System (Good old Heal, DPS, Tank, CC)

-Screw the instaporteverywheresystem... It makes the game feel kindergardish

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

That is actually mutally exclusive :)

They might go bankrupt from issuing full refunds but when they are bankrupt the creditors have the first dip.

Anyway... Just login, exploit, get cought and apparently they give you refund if you bought it of their shop.

Originally posted by Lonzo

-Give us a good Trinity System (Good old Heal, DPS, Tank, CC)

-Screw the instaporteverywheresystem... It makes the game feel kindergardish

Bah, horsecrap on the second part. Map travel is a part of the Guild Wars lore from the original game. Take that away then people would start clamoring for mounts. Add those and people would want flying mounts, etc. 

Trinity. There are plenty of MMOs still using that archaic system, no thanks. It would totally break the game balance and how it all plays and works together.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Sadly I thought the weapon based ability system was going to be a bit more interesting. I was really really hoping that while your characters are limited to weapon type based on class, that different weapons would give new abilities.

You equip exotic daggers and you get a new set of skills, you equip an awesome rare that drops off a named mob or something and it comes with it's own skills. Really would have opened up the depth of combat and made it fun. There's a quest where you take a sword from a pit champion and it comes with its own set of 5 skills. That's what I'm talking about.

Instead of griding the world for karma or whatever, you'd be hunting rare monsters for weapons and recipies and trying to craft new weapons that let you play your character differently.

But, I guess this was all in my mind despite that they almost went there but limited it to quests. It would be a gear grind like no other, augmenting your character by your weapon of choice.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Too much zerg too little anything else...

Trinity. There are plenty of MMOs still using that archaic system, no thanks. It would totally break the game balance and how it all plays and works together.

Why remove something that works and makes for interesting strategies and gameplay.

In GW2 everyone are equal so there is nothing else to do than spam cooldowns and run around to avoid damage.. Or res zerging.

You actually have less roles and strategy in GW2 than modern FPS games...

Originally posted by tyfon

Why remove something that works and makes for interesting strategies and gameplay.

In GW2 everyone are equal so there is nothing else to do than spam cooldowns and run around to avoid damage.. Or res zerging.

(Insert cut and paste from previous post on the "burn on cooldown fallacy"...)

Hit the skills on cooldown? That explains a lot... you have no idea what you're doing. (Yes, that's a "you're doing it wrong" comment. Basically... you're doing it wrong.

I'm going to pick one of my favorite skills as an example. mesmer Focus 4. (Off hand focus, skill slot 4)  Anyone vaguely familiar with the skill knows quite obviously that you won't be hitting that skill right off cooldown... what it does is create a "line" on the ground. If you go through the line, you get a speed boost. If an enemy goes through the line they get a cripple applied. So, right there, it's clear it's a tactically used skill, not a CD based one. But... what happens when you cast Focus 4? Look at your skill bar... the skill has now changed. You have the new ability to shatter the line you've created. This has a fun effect... it pulls foes near it to the space where the line was. THIS is where the skill really becomes a tactical joy to deploy! Why... you can cast it between you and a foe and pull your foe towards you. Or... you can cast it behind a foe and use it to pull a foe away from you. Of course... pulling has one other fun-filled effect when you combine that with walls or cliffs... you can use it to yank foes off of structures. I use that in WvW a lot... pulling foes off siege weapons, off walls, over cliffs to their splattered demise... it's a blast. 

Yes, that's one specific skill. However, many or most skills have multiple effects that are best used tactically and would be wasted if you were foollish enough to only burn them on CD. It could be something simple, such as mesmer Greatsword 3, which not only damages but also removes a boon when it hits foes in an area. Instead of using it off CD, hold a little and take that regen they applied to themselves away. GS2 dances between foes and allies buffing allies it hits... hold it for a moment and wait until that warrior or thief closes on the foe. They'll appreciate the stacks of might. 

Oh... one last note about dodging... as a mesmer I have traited dodging as an offensive boost. I don't "dodge once in a while". I dodge often, to good effect... not to simply avoid damage.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Do you actually think that the skills in GW2 are best used by spamming cooldowns?  That could explain a lot... you have no idea what the skills do or when to use them. One of my personal favorites that completely debunks that fallacious argument is mesmer focus 4.

So you have one skill from one class that is differnt. Colour me amazed. I'm willing to bet that most bosses even have immunity to this since it helps kiting.

Go to any world boss. Try to see a strategy in the gameplay there. All I see is zerging.

Even Anet has figured out that the skills are worthless so they remove them completely for the final dragon fight of the story and only give you 1 button to mash for a cannon.

• The_ArgoThe_Argo Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Make the game fun would being me back

Do you actually think that the skills in GW2 are best used by spamming cooldowns?  That could explain a lot... you have no idea what the skills do or when to use them. One of my personal favorites that completely debunks that fallacious argument is mesmer focus 4.

So you have one skill from one class that is differnt. Colour me amazed. I'm willing to bet that most bosses even have immunity to this since it helps kiting.

Go to any world boss. Try to see a strategy in the gameplay there. All I see is zerging.

Even Anet has figured out that the skills are worthless so they remove them completely for the final dragon fight of the story and only give you 1 button to mash for a cannon.

I edited that post, so you missed what's there now. There are three listed quick off my head, including how focus 4 is tactically applied in combat.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Nothing will bring me back now as it's abundantly clear that ANet are no longer calling the shots, NCSoft is. If I could go back in time and make a change at launch though it would be for them to hire a proper team for class balance instead of the two (TWO?!) incompetent devs they have now... if warriors weren't one-shotting things (steel cannons) and eles weren't constantly getting one-shotted (pure glass with no cannon) the game might have even had a chance as an e-sport.
  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Something to do after my World Explorer/personal quest/dungeon runs/full exotic gear grind is done.  Don't get me wrong, I think GW2 is a great game, but I the PvE content is finite and the PvP is not to my taste. 

And with a B2P game, how can I be an ex player?  There is no barrier to me logging on after being gone for 1 or 2 months.  I just lack the motivation.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Dungeon tool and more skills. Coming from GW1, GW2 feels damn lacking and limiting in terms of build possibilities.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    SPVP warzones with different objectives, which grant experience for character leveling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You want a different type of PvP - this is a team oriented PvP not one on one - go to another game. I don't think that type of PvP will ever be in the game. It wasn't in GW1, really.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

It's amazing how fast people turned on this game.  Took about 10-11 months before we started seeing these types of threads for SWTOR.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366922/poll-Which-top-feature-to-get-yourself-interested-in-the-game-again.html

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Some sort of progression systems. Which I hear might be coming.  Anything to make the game deeper and endgame worthwhile.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

1) Competitive PvP, not the casual DPS fest that is now.

2) Opvp or WvWvW with a real meaning or objetives, Like warhammer war campaign as an example. Again, At the moment is just a casual ¨follow the zerg and AOE¨ Battlefield.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    On the same boat, need meaningful PvP. WvW was fun at first but once you realized it's true form it got boring real quick.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Customization and Proggression and upgraded crafting. That's now 1 new feature but it's needed, also need to make the game more sandoxy.

- New character customization options, hair,face etc.

- Guild progression.

- Guild Halls.

- Ships.

- Guild crafting. Craft furnitures, ships etc.

- Personal Instance that let you customize alot and add trophies etc.

- Naval warfare. Use your ship.

- Plant seeds in Guild Hall and Personal Instance, that you later can harvest.

- WvWvW progression.