Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Convince me......

Pretty much what the subject is.......I want everyone that plays or tried the game to convince me to play it.  To help you out some my favorite game of all time is SWG pre-CU.  I love sandbox games, being able to do whatever I want when I want and haven't no direction.  I like to PVP more controled if possible dont like being ganked nonstop.  From what I got from the reading is that it is now a B2P the same model as GW2, but I keep hereing about fees and stuff so what is the sub like?  Other then that just start plugging your game tell me about it.............Convince me.........

Comments

• AtomicAtomic Member UncommonPosts: 46

Very good pve, medium pvp, medium / weak crafting, good  rp possibilities, very good atmosphere, very nice community.

Hope that sums it up...you can buy the box and are good to go. Optional you can buy dlc's, or clothes/pets/xp boosts in the shop.

• WalicWalic Member Posts: 41
    So I just buy the game and Im good to go, check.........what is the pve like?  Is it turn sandbox where its like mission, kind of like what SWG was pre-CU? or is it more quest like?  PVP is that open world or war zones?
  • AtomicAtomic Member UncommonPosts: 46

You can do missions in any order, most of them are repeatable and sometimes very much thinking and investigation is involved. PVP are warezones (3 Factions), but some kind of open pvp is in the works. You are able to tank, dmg or heal with 1 char, there is very much flexibility. I would call it a sandy Themepark puzzle MMO :)

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

This is, in no way, shape or form, a sandbox game, remember that.  Its primarily themepark, with the main selling points being character flexability, story, setting, atmosphere, and investigation mission (puzzle quests).  PvP is instanced, but pve is where the real meat of the game is.

PvE is very SWTORish in terms of presentation, you get a cutscene for the quest (done better in both writing and voiceacting than with TOR IMO) then you go do it.

Dont get me wrong, I love the game, but it really doesnt sound like what you're looking for.

• AlchimesAlchimes Member UncommonPosts: 27

Its not sandbox cause its very linear. In my opinion this game combines few game types: adventure horror mmorpg puzzle. The quests and strory are the most important. If you do not like story and cinematics before every normal quest it may be not for you.

This game is hard and challenging in few aspects. Most of the puzzle quests are not possible to solve by yourself. You have to use solution, walkthrough outside of the game.

Skill system also can be challenging because there are no classes and you can spend points on any skills among hundreds of them. If you spend points in wrong skills, you may have problems later in combat. Skills are also not standard, and not easy to understand. Often damage is not important but proper combination of skills active and passive and combination of states like afflicted, impaired, hindered, weakened etc.

Its a horror game and almost all quests are negative: someone died, commit suicide, killed someone, invoking ghosts, interested in paranormal etc.

I play this game only for interesting story quests, cinematics, atmosphere, sound, music.

The engine of the game is badly optimized and laggy. I can run and play smoothly BF3, Planetside 2, GW2, LOTRO, but this game often lagging and FPS drop below 20. Long loading time when changing zones.

Its just one time payment so its worth the rich content of the game.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    ... Convice me to bother trying. :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Derros

Dont get me wrong, I love the game, but it really doesnt sound like what you're looking for.

+1, and I also love the game since launch. As others stated, if you love sandbox and pvp, maybe this is not the droid you're looking for :)

TSW isn't a sandbox (sandbox-y at most, in the way you can develop your character in any direction), and as most players agree on, pvp is maybe the weakest point of it. I can't say it for sure since I don't pvp, but that's what I heard :)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Sorry not going to convince you... if you want impressions that is another matter but why would anyone want to convince you to buy the game?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Maybe if you are President of USA, but i guess you are not, so .... who cares
  • KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385
    NO! YOU convince me to convince you FIRST!
  • 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

You like video games?

Hey if you got the cash try this video game.

Or pick up something on Steam.

Honestly if you're fishing for someone to tell you it's like a sandbox.. It's not. Progression in leveling up you got a few options, progression on where you level up or how, no real options. It's growing and for a flat fee that's kind of novel.

a yo ho ho

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Let one of these threads convince you

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=54077

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62283

btw there are no hidden costs whatsover, it´s B2P. You can get cosmetic stuff from the cash shop, and some XP boosts, but that´s it.

Future content additions will be optional downloads or you get them with the optional membership points

No P2W or nasty gambling grab boxes, no "exchange gems for gold ripoffs".

It´s a very good MMO with an honest business model, even got the liftetime membership package and lovin´ it. (Playing since August here)

I also loved SWG, and SWTOR did not live up to my expectations, but TSW fully did. It´s not a sandbox per-se but the free character development and material based crafting feels pretty sandboxy to me. I´d almost say it´s a theme park MMO with some nice sandboxy features.

Also the zones are huge and varied, and there are day/night changes.

Next big zone to come is Tokio

Also it has been hinted in a dev stream there are open world PvP objectives, like events in development. Right now PvP is instanced warzones

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Funcom has always and will continue to put out problem free Games.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

It's not a sandbox, but has some of the best PvE around.  Here's a good write up, and would be what I would say to anyone interested in the game:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

PvP is a work in progress -- there are people who play and have fun with it, but be prepared to work for it.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Walic
    Pretty much what the subject is.......I want everyone that plays or tried the game to convince me to play it.  To help you out some my favorite game of all time is SWG pre-CU.  I love sandbox games, being able to do whatever I want when I want and haven't no direction.  I like to PVP more controled if possible dont like being ganked nonstop.  From what I got from the reading is that it is now a B2P the same model as GW2, but I keep hereing about fees and stuff so what is the sub like?  Other then that just start plugging your game tell me about it.............Convince me.........

Based on the little info provided:

PVP in TSW sucks, it's terrible.

TSW is not a sandbox.

So, based on that, don't bother.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Alchimes

This game is hard and challenging in few aspects. Most of the puzzle quests are not possible to solve by yourself. You have to use solution, walkthrough outside of the game.

Well no... the investigation missions can be REALLY tricky; you have to pay close attention to the mission-giver and clues, and make plenty of use of the Internet (the game has a built-in browser for a reason). I'm most of the way through "Hell and Bach", looked at an online walkthrough of my current progress and wanted to kick myself. After brute-forcing the 2nd and 3rd translations with guesswork and an online Latin phrase site, I learned that the phrases are in the instances as graffiti!

In-game London has some nice amenities: bank-mail-sales sites, a clothing store, a bar with dance floor, and a theater you can rent for productions (some props are loot drops and you can buy others).

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

It doesnt cost you much to try it out. More like a couple beers. And id recommend getting a couple of beer in the house together with the game because you are gonna love it, enjoy it and forget about the time. So better get the things you need to enjoy the weekend before you start playing! :-)

So why not I ask. I am sure you will realize you should have tried it out months ago!

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

I just don't understand threads like this.

There is a vast plethora of information about the game. Everything from player reviews to screenshot galleries to 'how to' youtube videos to entire web sites dedicated soley to The Secret World.

What are we, some players, going to be able to show you that you don't already have access to?

If it's a matter of you not wanting to do the research for yourself, well, sorry but I'm not going to do it for you. 

It's a good game. It has some really great things about it and some things that aren't so great. It's relatively cheap to try. I play it and have fun. What more can I say?

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Well it's free, if you go to the thread about what games we're all playing right now, you'll see TSW pop up numerous times almost more than any other mentioned. So if it's FREE, and a lot of people are obviously playing it, the only thing left as far as convincing is making an account and downloading the game.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• WalicWalic Member Posts: 41

Well sorry I wanted to get input from the players, and their thoughts if I would like that game with the type of gaming I like, so thank you for the people that helped me out.

To the trolls and other A$$holes that didn't F*ck off...

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss
    Well it's free, if you go to the thread about what games we're all playing right now, you'll see TSW pop up numerous times almost more than any other mentioned. So if it's FREE, and a lot of people are obviously playing it, the only thing left as far as convincing is making an account and downloading the game.

It isn't free, it's buy-to-play. I believe the 3-5 day trial went away when the payment model changed.

Well sorry I wanted to get input from the players, and their thoughts if I would like that game with the type of gaming I like, so thank you for the people that helped me out.

Honestly, you don't sound very sorry.

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

Let us know what you decided to do :-)

Originally posted by Chtuga

Let us know what you decided to do :-)

I, for one, am on pins and needles, breath held in anticipation!

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

...... no.. :)

TSW is a great game and I enjoy playing inmensely... but its main strenghts are in the story and athmosphere, IMHO. It's quite the opposite to what you describe to like.

Tthere are 8 areas in the game and you're mostly directed to which area you have to go, and to a lesser extent where in the area you have to be, depending on your gear level and the point you are in the main storyline, and actually at several points some areas are completely off limits even if you're at the apropiate gear level until you reach a specific milestone in the main storyline.

The game is completely based on quests (missions), but they're more involved than other games. While there are a few "kill X, bring Y" kind of quests, there are fewer and I never found myself thinking "ok, who was it that asked me to kill these wolves and why?.. was this farmer or that hunter?". Investigation missions are the highlight of the questing system for me, but they're not for everyone. Personally I come from a gaming background heavy on old school adventure games, even from before they were point and click and you had to use a text parser, so I love the investigation missions and so far I've managed to solve all the ones I've found without using walktroughts, but some can be very hard so they're not for everyone. Personally I love the fact that you have to go out of the game to solve some of them (for example, one character mentions having a blog, and turns out the blog actually exists and you have to visit it to find the clues needed to progress), and you will have to check some information that can be obscure to you like morse code or bible verses, which I also love, but some people hate the fact that not all the information needed is available inside the game, so your mileage may vary on that aspect.

Crafting is there, but doesn't really play a big role, and there's no crafting leveling either, if you have the materials and apropiate crafting kit (drop or bought from the auction house) you can craft the highest level items right away even if you've never done crafting before. PvP I've never tried, but there are only battlegrounds and Fusang, a persistent battelground, but that in most (or all) servers tend to be dominated by one faction, so if you belong to that faction fusang might be just a farming thing, or a hopeless cause if you belong to the other ones.

So, in short, if you're looking for a sanbox experience, stay away from TSW... if you want one of the best theme park experiences available today (IMHO) combined with a creepy horror athmosphere and some very good storytelling, go ahead and dive right in.

What can men do against such reckless hate?