Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: F2P 'Subscription-Free' Option Added

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Not bad I guess? So it'll have a F2P, B2P and a sub version. But ugh, it's still Gameforge.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Been waiting a long time to hear this.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Good :D And I absolutely LOVE that F2P model (at first glance).

I liked the game, but really could not justify the sub fee. Well done.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I like how they are truly free. No restriction bullshit.

Subscribers get more, but free gamers don't get less.

A solid F2P for an AAA title.

Strongly recommend this.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I like how they are truly free. No restriction bullshit.

Subscribers get more, but free gamers don't get less.

A solid F2P for an AAA title.

Strongly recommend this.

That’s how I feel also, it's a very good model indeed, much better than recent F2P conversions and on top of that an excellent B2P option is available, best of both worlds really.

• TooksTooks Member Posts: 4
    While I'm happy that this is happening I also hate that gameforge are running the EU servers. They ruined Aion for me. Played that game since release and when it went free to play my main characters got moved to bloody gameforge. So I can either start again on the american servers, which have a decent free to play model, or play my main characters and be restricted through the butthole. I think i'll wait to see what the cash shops are like before deciding if I'll give Gameforge a chance again or put up with an extra 100 ping.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    this is cool, i liked Tera but not enough to make it my alternate monthly sub. Now i can jump in any time i want. Thats great!
  • mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119
    good. I might come back to tera when it goes f2p.
  • NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

Might give me a reason to play to considering the restrictions I doubt it'll last long:

You won’t be able to join a guild unless you upgrade your account.

You can't join a guild? well I guess a huge friendlist and the party system might make due?

You can use every chat channel (/s, /a, /g, /u, /t) except the whisper-channel with this account type.  

You can use guild chat (/g) but you can't even join a guild? wtf?

You can sell your items to the merchant-NPC and receive mail, but you can neither trade with another players (incl. broker), nor send mails or put items into your bank.

Not being able to send emails I can live with, but NO bank storage? thats quite the hassle if you have gear/items you need later..

You can create groups (only create, not join), and receive invitations from your friends.

So you are forced to be the one to create a party everytime you need one? But you can receive invites even though you can't accept those? (Am I understanding this correctly?)

You can’t start or accept duel requests.

This one is only fair I suppose, not much of a deal breaker.

I have serious doubts, but will try the game nonetheless, hopefully it will be worth the time and perhaps even a future subscription.

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I will install and play from time to time with it being free.

Action combat + Trinity is a fun combo, just wasn't fun enough to warrant paying for lol.

Worth your time but not your dollar? 0.o

People constantly saying this just amazes me.... I honestly cannot think of anything that I genuinely  enjoy that I wouldn't spend £2.50/ week on to do. Hell, I go hiking and that even costs me more then that across the day...

If I didn't enjoy something enough to find it worth spending a minimal amount on I would probably be playing something else that I actually did get a kick out of.

Why are people that don't enjoy what they are doing actually playing these games? And if they *do* genuinely enjoy them.. why don't they think that enjoyment is 'worth' such a tiny amount of money?

Confuses me.

My time is more valuable to me then £2.50/wk... I would be more worried about wasting that than that tiny amount of money.

I suffer from what many other MMO gamers seem to suffer from - if I'm paying 15$ a month for a game I feel like I need to play it many hours per week in order to feel like I'm not wasting money.

I will only play for many hours per week if the game is enjoyable and fun.

TERA was enjoyable and fun, but not THAT enjoyable and fun where I'd want to play it any more than probably a few hours a week.

At that level, the 15$ month package is less and less appealing.

I'm currently paying for EvE - which is fun in a different kind of way.

I like the idea of having a game like TERA on the side to play for my Fantasy/Action fix.

I really like the idea of being able to get that fix for a couple of hours a week without paying 15$ a month.

So you want to play TERA for, what then, two hours a week?

While I don't question your right to play as little as you wish, you are a perfect example as to why F2P is a fragile house of cards.

I honestly do not think these devs have a clue about the non committed super casual transient culture thye are creating with the cash shop model, nor why that such a thing is a terrible thing for this genre in the mid to long run.

And I will do exactly the same. I will play  one subscription game, then dabble in a  few B2P or F2P games. TERA will definately be one of the latter.

And the devs are perfectly clued up about gamers like me. They know that I may buy a little from the cash shop but not a huge amount. They know that even if I buy nothing I am least filling up their world making it a more inviting game for those that are paying.

I think you under estimate how much games companies understand their market. They have a lot more information they can analyse than we do.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

Might give me a reason to play to considering the restrictions I doubt it'll last long:

You won’t be able to join a guild unless you upgrade your account.

You can't join a guild? well I guess a huge friendlist and the party system might make due?

You can use every chat channel (/s, /a, /g, /u, /t) except the whisper-channel with this account type.  

You can use guild chat (/g) but you can't even join a guild? wtf?

You can sell your items to the merchant-NPC and receive mail, but you can neither trade with another players (incl. broker), nor send mails or put items into your bank.

Not being able to send emails I can live with, but NO bank storage? thats quite the hassle if you have gear/items you need later..

You can create groups (only create, not join), and receive invitations from your friends.

So you are forced to be the one to create a party everytime you need one? But you can receive invites even though you can't accept those? (Am I understanding this correctly?)

You can’t start or accept duel requests.

This one is only fair I suppose, not much of a deal breaker.

I have serious doubts, but will try the game nonetheless, hopefully it will be worth the time and perhaps even a future subscription.

Those are the restrictions for the existing trial accounts that you can create today. They are not the new F2P restrictions.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I will install and play from time to time with it being free.

Action combat + Trinity is a fun combo, just wasn't fun enough to warrant paying for lol.

People constantly saying this just amazes me.... I honestly cannot think of anything that I genuinely  enjoy that I wouldn't spend £2.50/ week on to do. Hell, I go hiking and that even costs me more then that across the day...

If I didn't enjoy something enough to find it worth spending a minimal amount on I would probably be playing something else that I actually did get a kick out of.

Why are people that don't enjoy what they are doing actually playing these games? And if they *do* genuinely enjoy them.. why don't they think that enjoyment is 'worth' such a tiny amount of money?

Confuses me.

My time is more valuable to me then £2.50/wk... I would be more worried about wasting that than that tiny amount of money.

I suffer from what many other MMO gamers seem to suffer from - if I'm paying 15$ a month for a game I feel like I need to play it many hours per week in order to feel like I'm not wasting money.

TERA was enjoyable and fun, but not THAT enjoyable and fun where I'd want to play it any more than probably a few hours a week.

I like the idea of having a game like TERA on the side to play for my Fantasy/Action fix.

I really like the idea of being able to get that fix for a couple of hours a week without paying 15$ a month.

I'll likely go back for awhile. I have three level 60's. Perhaps run my zerker up to 60.  I left EVE when Incursions hit. Not been back since.  From what I hear, this last expansion with the bounty system, finally gave the Goonies and other such what they wanted.  Now even staying in high sec, and being in an NPC corp isn't enough.   One wonders how long it will be before the carebears start leaving the game.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    /snip

But the thing is most lv60 players on the NA servers have been playing for free for quite awhile via chronoscrolls.  1.5K in-game gold for a 30 day play time scroll is nothing for a lv60,  Hell one t14 enchantable drop can sell for 8-12k in the auction house. 

You must have played on the EU servers because I hear they never had chronoscrolls?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

On the basis that the EU version is Gameforge, the ftp model over here could have been a lot worse.

General reaction (on UK servers at least) is not bad. Have to wait and see how the servers hold up if the population ramps up in Feb.

• JekestrahJekestrah Member UncommonPosts: 5

One quick question.

I'm from the phlippines and I would like to know after this changes to F2P will (NA) still blocked Philppines IP?

Does Tera (EU) blocked philippines IP , i really would like to know about this information as I want to play the game, F2P or B2P.

Originally posted by levidons

One quick question.

I'm from the phlippines and I would like to know after this changes to F2P will (NA) still blocked Philppines IP?

Does Tera (EU) blocked philippines IP , i really would like to know about this information as I want to play the game, F2P or B2P.

I think you may be ok with Tera EU. Try this link (I cannot speak the language unfortunately), but at least one post states that there is on IP block in Tera EU.

https://www.facebook.com/TeraOnlinePhilippines?filter=2

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by blackhawkzz
    And yet WoW still survives.

And so does Rift.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    The model looks good and the shot at SW:TOR was pretty funny...we'll see where this goes.

Someone was asking about IP blocking, think it was from the Phillipines?

Anyway, below is the Tera EU list of blocked countries:

List of Countries with IP-Block

<blockquote restore="" "="">Players from the following countries cannot access the service for TERA in EU:

• Azerbaijan
    • Armenia
    • Kazakhstan
    • Belarus
    • Kyrgyzstan
    • Moldova, Republic Of
    • Russian Federation
    • Tajikistan
    • Ukraine
    • Taiwan

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Confuses me.

I'm in the same boat. I really liked the game but can't play it all day every day. That and there are just so many f2p games now that I like to play, paying the $15 for one doesn't seem worth it.

I don't really look at f2p as free. They always have things I want to buy. They're more a pay for what you play. That's more worth while for me with less guilt about paying for something I'm not playing enough.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Tera is F2P? Now that would make it worth playing...would have to look at the restrictions or if they give subscribing members uber items that still creates an "upper class" of players. Cause if it does, this is just going to be another former sub game on "life support" that wont do as well as actual F2P games do.

And no, you cant refute it, years worth of gaming history has proven it. Opinions mean nothing in this case.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by blackhawkzz
    And yet WoW still survives.

So? My main games are wow+swtor, should I wish doom for any other game? Tera looks great only that I'm not playing games with recticle. And I wish players that play enjoy and are happy.

About F2P ... my opinion is known, in general is destroyer of quality. 

• RedgamingdragonRedgamingdragon Member Posts: 1

if you people think that Tera going F2P will save the day you are so wrong. the game is so poorly optimized, even high end rigs, chug with the game. theres several sound glitches and when no one is around you you will lag and when you run into other characters or even NPC's they show up as Grey shadows and take at least 5 seconds to load so you can see them.

for this game to be salvagable, they need to do a lot more work to this game

• opledopleopledople Member Posts: 1
    wow has done nothing but run straight down hill. you WoW tards are so annoying.
  • Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Still wondering what i tought when i installed another game managed by failforge.