Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF?!?!?! NO!!!!!

LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

Hitokiri,

Today we are pleased to announce that TERA will be free in February 2013.

TERA: Rising will bring about exciting changes that will grow our community and benefit you as a founding member of TERA.

Announcement Trailer

Watch the Video

Founder Benefits:

• Founder's title: new "Founder" title, marking your status as one of TERA's first
  • Founder's rights: eight character slots, four bank tabs, and more item simultaneously on the brokerage
  • Terminus mount: a founder-exclusive mount to commemorate your victory in the Argon War
  • Free En Masse Points: deposits $5 (standard) and $10 (collector's edition) worth of EMPs to your e-wallet

Why En Masse? WHY?!?! You've sold out!!! I hate F2P. Dammit. Oh well. I wasn't playing much anymore. The only reason I hop on is to get the seasonal eye candy for my Elin.

Getting too old for this $&17!

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    was expected :S
  • LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Skuall

I know. I've been in denial for a while. Or maybe I tried to see and hang onto the potential that Tera had. Bluehole could have done a lot better. I can't really blame En Masse. The devs at Bluehole just couldn't deliver enough decent positives in the game. Well I guess it's on to Blade and Soul.

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

Guess there is a new method for making new games: Game box with cd to sell for 60 bucks... then 1 year later make it go free 2 play with cash shop for more money.  

Company still thinks greed > fun which is really sad.

Kain_Dale

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

OP - "wasn't playing much anymore......."

True for many players, hence the ftp change. No surprise really and no need for exclamation marks. If there was one game going this way it was Tera.

The only thing people where waiting for was how the ftp model would pan out.

I'll pass on the F2P model. I may hop on from time to time when they release new stuff. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

You actually paid for tera?  I've been playing for months without paying a sub price.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• mochipixelsmochipixels Member UncommonPosts: 144

I actually expected Tera to go free by May, so I'm not suprised :P

However, I doubt I'll make a serious return.  Probably just pop in, kills a BAM and go back to The Secret World & GW2  ^_^

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    restrictions on there are almost as horrible as SWTOR. Was thinking of giving it another try, but whats the point when you are so limited in every way. Why i hate F2P games, just not worth it.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Onomas
    restrictions on there are almost as horrible as SWTOR. Was thinking of giving it another try, but whats the point when you are so limited in every way. Why i hate F2P games, just not worth it.

What are the limitations of the F2P? Do they restrict your ability bars? That still takes the cake for most nonsensical restriction I think.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MalamasalaMalamasala Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by lizardbones

What are the limitations of the F2P? Do they restrict your ability bars? That still takes the cake for most nonsensical restriction I think.

The restrictions is your usual anti gold farmer design.

If you want to play for free, you only get 2 character slots. (Retarded, because it means you have to make 4 accounts to get 8 slots for free). You can only send 10 gold at a time (since they don't want gold selling transactions, and to prevent you from sending gold between your free accounts). 10 broker slots (again, so you don't make a lot of fast gold).

In most other senses it is the same as now. I think most of it except the character limit is OK. They are just shooting themselves in the foot with telling people to make multiple accounts instead of a single one for their characters. You can of course buy extra character slots, so I guess they simply wanted to make money. But the result is still that free2play people will make a ton of accounts.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

Dude, read the link to the news release.  It's the most open and permisive F2P conversion in recent memory.  If you purchase the game before conversion everything stays as it is now for subscribers.  If you never purchase or sub you get everything the same as subscribers do now with the exception of limited character and bank slots.  If you subscribe you have the same situation as currently but get perks with shorter dungeon CD's than present, decrease taxes for posting stuff on the Broker, etc.

Even the promotional video for TERA:Rising specifically mentions "we won't take away your action bars" which is still funny.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I was looking at their discovery edition restrictions. Not the same thing as F2P i guess.

You may only have 1 Discovery Edition on your En Masse account.

• Max level 28
    • 200g limit
    • Max gathering skill of 150
    • Max crafting skill of 100
    • 2 characters per server

Chat restrictions:

• Area chat
    • Global Chat
    • Trade Chat
    • Bargaining at the brokerage
    • Party search
    • Whispers (you will be able to whisper to players on your friends list)

Limits to:

• Bank. You cannot deposit gold into your bank.
    • Parcel. You may not send parcel messages, but you may receive them.
    • Friends List. You may not add people to your friends list, but other may add you to their friends list. If someone adds you to their friends list they will show up on your friends list.
    • Whispers. You may only whisper your friends.
    • Guild. You may not apply to or create a guild, but if invited, you may accept a guild invite.
    • Trade Broker. You may not post items for sale, but you may purchase items.

Other restrictions:

• No dueling, death matches, or battlegrounds.
    • No trading.
    • You may not transfer to another server.

The F2P stuff is here:

http://support.enmasse.com/tera/tera-rising-play-for-free

Which doesnt seem too bad. So i will probably give this another try. Didnt actualy get far into it.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    restrictions on there are almost as horrible as SWTOR.

No, just no. Far from it. It's a better model than TSW even (IMO), which is going to be charging you ~$10 at least for new content. Buy the game once and you can pretty much play without limits. Subscribers just get twice the daily quests and half the cooldown time between dungeons, nothing gamebreaking at all.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss
    Originally posted by Skuall

I know. I've been in denial for a while. Or maybe I tried to see and hang onto the potential that Tera had. Bluehole could have done a lot better. I can't really blame En Masse. The devs at Bluehole just couldn't deliver enough decent positives in the game. Well I guess it's on to Blade and Soul.

Yeah no surprise there but that is what fans do.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by stayontarget

You actually paid for tera?  I've been playing for months without paying a sub price.

I've been playing since beta and had it on reserve prior to release. Ang paying subs never bothered me ever so long as I'm enjoying the game and the money is going to server maintenance, staff labor and developing future content. But that's just my outlook. What's $15 anyways when it's nothing compared to how much everything else costs these days? In any case I've always left open the possibility of this game going F2P ever since beta. However I enjoyed the shit out of it. I mean I'm sold on the combat. I actually prefer having to aim for my target myself instead of lazily TAB targetting my enemies. So PvP was fun. And the races as far as art imo is better than any other I've played. US and European devs do  horrible job at making the females looking even remoteless decent. Maybe it's me but if I gotta stare at a toon for hours on end it might as well be pleasant right? All I can say is I wish En Masse and Bluehole the best of luck and I hope that they may be able to make the F2P model work and be successful. Even more successful than when it was P2P.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    So many people complaining about restrictions? Waaah? Its so easy to get to the 2nd tier as far as its sounding now, which has very little restrictions to it. Its no Aion with its cash shop model but its not that far behind in giving you a lot oft he game for free. The only thing I'd look out for is the cash shop and what they offer. So long as they don't make it Pay 2 Win, I really have nothing holding me back from playing this game. If it wasn't for the quests being so dule, I'd of easily bought this game just cause the combat is (for me) the best action combat in an MMO to date.
  • arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Don't understand all this qq over going f2p. You will still be playing the same game you did before f2p. If the servers/events/gms/support was good/bad then it will still remain unchanged now. You should be happy youll get to see more people. instead of playing around a constant of a few hundred people.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Well I'll finally get to give it a try. Big fan of action combat and asian games/culture here. I would think going ftp would be a better outcome then shutting down or life support mode and hope people will embrace and enjoy it as apposed to letting it ruin there vibe....
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Yeah, you haven't even looked at it have you. Polar opposite of the SWTOR conversion. Try again.

edit: ok, saw your retraction. Yeah, the trial version was very different. though pretty standard as trials go.

All die, so die well.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I know.... SWTOR restricting your hotbars is crazy! I played until I realized how many little annoying transactions I would need to play a standard type game. If Tera goes this direction I will put it on that dusty shelf also.

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Why would anyone complain about the F2P system TERA is implementing ?
    They sound more generous than any other F2P I've heard of ?
    The polar opposite of SWTOR in fact?

No one is QQ'n over anything sir. It's an open discussion.

I have no issues with the F2P model, but a lot of the F2P games eventually die down in players and then it's on to the next one.

Sure Tera stays the same as when it was subbed. EVen bonuses for current players and more for paying players. But there are many who are a little less open minded to F2P. And like I said about dying down. That possibility is always there. And I've invested a lot of time into my toons not to mention money on outfits and other vanity stuff. I'll continue as long as it has a decent playerbase and they keep on pumping out more content.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss

No one is QQ'n over anything sir. It's an open discussion.

I have no issues with the F2P model, but a lot of the F2P games eventually die down in players and then it's on to the next one.

Sure Tera stays the same as when it was subbed. EVen bonuses for current players and more for paying players. But there are many who are a little less open minded to F2P. And like I said about dying down. That possibility is always there. And I've invested a lot of time into my toons not to mention money on outfits and other vanity stuff. I'll continue as long as it has a decent playerbase and they keep on pumping out more content.

well yeah thats true. but in teras case the p2p model ist the problem. the eu-version has only 4 servers left. what do u think how long would it take to make the publisher just close down the rest of the servers, if the population continues to go down?

that move was just logical and i think the last try to save the game.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Never buy a MMO, it will be F2P in 8 months.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Malamasala

The restrictions is your usual anti gold farmer design.

If you want to play for free, you only get 2 character slots. (Retarded, because it means you have to make 4 accounts to get 8 slots for free). You can only send 10 gold at a time (since they don't want gold selling transactions, and to prevent you from sending gold between your free accounts). 10 broker slots (again, so you don't make a lot of fast gold).

In most other senses it is the same as now. I think most of it except the character limit is OK. They are just shooting themselves in the foot with telling people to make multiple accounts instead of a single one for their characters. You can of course buy extra character slots, so I guess they simply wanted to make money. But the result is still that free2play people will make a ton of accounts.

2 slots PER SERVER - get real.