Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR - Third attempt.

2»

Comments

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by IG-88
    Originally posted by Z3R01

The group quests and flashpoints are very good and if you just solo the entire time you miss out on that.

After having playing for a while, i really must disagree with you on this. I play a sage, healer, and while this class is really cool in itself i find the heroics and flashpoints extremely monotonous. There arent really much strategy needed or when you figure it out, its just very repetative.

That said, i do prefer playing in groups but find most player preferring to play on their own. Even if we are in the same area, probably on the same quest, others are reluctant to invites although both would benefit from it (getting done faster and gaining more xp and social points).

The class quests and other major storylines is the most interesting part imo.

I still enjoy the flashpoints quite a bit.  But then again, I skip much of the trash in most hard modes.  Any game you do the flashpoints over and over can easily become monotonous.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I went back to try F2P and the game runs like hell now, whereas in the past I only had framerate problems on Ilum in the PvP area.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

im still not gonna go back and play it heh xD

dunno why but swtor never caught my heart - just wasnt feeling it

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• MckiedizMckiediz Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    I went back to try F2P and the game runs like hell now, whereas in the past I only had framerate problems on Ilum in the PvP area.

Ilum PvP is not A key goal of this game so that's ok.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Logged in after about 10 months and I was quite astonished...about their creativity in creating disadvantages. Had they had such creative powers making the game maybe it hadn't tanked so heavily.

So they honestly expect me to pay for skill bars? I can handle credit caps and such but this is too much for me. Actually I don't mind subbing per se but I'm afraid they'll find a way to pickpocket even subscribers. Their conversion looks too shady to consider playing it again.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    I played all classes to at least 30 on both sides and did the main story quests for a couple of them to 50 back when it was strictly a subscription based game.  After that, to kill time, most of my guild would just get to level 10 and then pvp the rest of the way as that was the only thing that really held any interest to us, but even that got boring after doing each warzone 500 times or so. But hey, what wouldn't get boring after 500 times?  I tried to go back during the f2p but just couldn't get into it.  I'm not dissatisfied though; I feel that I got my money's worth for 4 months. 
  • WalicWalic Member Posts: 41

I like the game it’s not perfect but I enjoy playing it and that is what a game is meant for to be enjoyed.  I play it the same way I played WoW 3 years ago, I group when I want to group, solo when I just want to run around, pvp all the time and even run Ops with my guild, so tell me how that is not an MMO? So it doesn't meet your wants of a MMO so then don't play it simple as that.  What’s the point in bashing a game that you don't play because you can hide behind your computer screen and act like you know all and your opinion is the only thing that matters?  You don't see me creating threads on WoW or GW2(never played it just using it as an example) and complaining about if the game did this or the game did that it would be better and I would play it, I don't because no one cares what I think.  The only reason I’m doing it now is because I tired of reading peoples post complaining about the game and your right they have every right to do it but really gets old.  Come on for once I would like to see the computer nerds use their no life lives (not sure how that makes any sense but I’m going with it lol) for valid input. 

Not a "proper MMO"  really, what doesn't MMO stand for? Well it might not have massive completely in full but either does 50% of the games in the game list.  has multiplayer so that can't be it, oh must be the Online, nope that’s not it either.  SO then what is it? Oh doesn’t fit your definition of MMOs right? Well sorry MMO god for not pleasing you.

About WoW and SWTOR being rail games they both are any themepark MMO is on rails you have to quest to get the end result, just like you have to ride on the rails to ride the rollercoaster.  the difference if you can really even call it that, is in WoW you run the same starting quest depending on the race and then as you level you end up running all the same quest no matter what.  In Swtor is not the race it’s the class and then it moves like WoW. 

For my final b*tching lol, People complained that it was a WoW clone and then turn around and say things like if they would have just did what WoW did they would be good.  And technically they did try and be like WoW just completely messed it all up so yea...............

Take it or leave it I really don't care, I’m sure someone will try and bash what I said but they are my opinions I don’t care if you don't like it, I just wanted to say my piece after holding back for so long.

P.S. I did like WoW I played it for a few years on and off just don't like they changes they have made, I liked the raiding and I liked the PVP.  But nothing beats SWG from launch to CU best by far people didn't like it b/c they were not handed everything, like they are now days.  You were handed the minimum and it was on you to figure everything out and survive. 

• ManifoldManifold Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Piiritus

Logged in after about 10 months and I was quite astonished...about their creativity in creating disadvantages. Had they had such creative powers making the game maybe it hadn't tanked so heavily.

So they honestly expect me to pay for skill bars? I can handle credit caps and such but this is too much for me. Actually I don't mind subbing per se but I'm afraid they'll find a way to pickpocket even subscribers. Their conversion looks too shady to consider playing it again.

I just subbed again. It's actualy better than before. For example, subs pay nothing for resetting skill points now whee before there was a credit cost. Plus, they do the PS2 thing where they give your 500 store dollars a month. Which is enough to buy an awesome color crystal or a whole set of gear.

WildStar is like if Ratchet and Clank had a baby with Beyond Good & Evil and that baby was raised by World of Warcraft and Spore and babysat on the weekends by the aliens from Space Jam. It's an ugly bastard worth a few laughs but not much else.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by citan79
    I don't know how a game on rails can be said to be an MMO. SWTOR is not an MMO its a co op single player game.  

Had it done exactly what WoW did with the added voice acted story lines.. it would have been a smash hit.  especially if they had fleshed out the space portion of it.

BUT SWTor is such a turd of a game.   Some people's turd is anothers treasure.  so enjoy.

wow is on rails too, just sayin.

Not really, you can go wherever you want whenever you want. You do not have to do the same set quests

[mod edit]

WoW had more freedom *AT RELEASE*. SWTOR is extremely linear - by design!

[mod edit]

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Good luck OP.  
  • xysmachine78xysmachine78 Member Posts: 3

Those negative points I agree with the OP as well. I've been subbed since the 1st day and my recent playthrough is also my 3rd after some extended breaks. I'm feeling that same wall. The only reason why I'm still subbed is because my friends still play and we have our weekly OPs runs together. If OPs weren't so damn restricted to subs, EA/BW would not see a single cent from me. 

If it was only me playing this whole time, I would have left with the same dissatisfied customers many months ago with the same bullet points they stress. 

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

Ok, so i have made it to the upper 40´s closing in on level 50.

So far, i have enjoyed the class story, its...nice and fun. All quests have been soloed, there has not been any real need to group up although i would have enjoyed that more. But people are reluctant to grouping and do reall dont see why.

I certainly dont mind helping out, i enjoy it.

I stated that this is not an MMO, and this far it holds true. Sure, there are other players running around, but everyone is quite busy with their own things. Only heroics and flashpoints seem to have need for groups.

Ill stay for the class story of my sage, but i really dont see myself starting all over with a new class.

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by mikahr

Originally posted by Swanea

I still enjoy the flashpoints quite a bit.  But then again, I skip much of the trash in most hard modes.  Any game you do the flashpoints over and over can easily become monotonous.

Thats a very poor excuse. "Everyone is bad so its OK for me to suck too"

Originally posted by Mckiediz
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Ilum PvP is not A key goal of this game so that's ok.

Funny, it was, until they figured that engine is so bad that its better to remove ti altogether.

Now it isnt any more i agree, you can do same WZ for thousands of times. Thats supposed to be better.

Your wrong Illum was stopped because of people using exploits and imbalance between factions. How many times can you repeat the same garbage?
  • sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

The OP is to soft, SWTOR is NOTHING.

It is not an MMO.

It is not BIG.

It's crafting is piss poor.

Its combat is boring.

Its animation is poor.

Its re-use of designs/models/story and characters grows to astounding levels ( comma shaped cave anyone).

It lacks dyes.

It lacks cosmetic outfits.

It lacks sitting on chairs.

The only thing it has got is stories and they are the lightest, completely scrubbed rehashes of stuff Bioware has been recycling since they started. Take the lack of homosexual content, anything to not offend ANYONE. 

Even Everquest 2 had a betrayal quest chain through which you could change sites. But where are the dark/light side effects in a game were this switching is often key to the stories? 

I too retried this game, it is okay in the starter area were story elements follow each other fast and the dungeon crawling is kept to a minimum but the moment you hit the slanted wall dungeons (where only the colors change across planets) it is just boring combat and nothing else. 

And my god, the running animation, especially in the now default sprint mode, is poor. Really poor. Entire animation feels wooden.  It also becomes clear all to soon that the majority of the story is faction based and never really gets to be anything more then "we are in deep shit because the other faction is kicking our ass" going to "well, thanks to you alone and with no help from the massive army and countless jedi/sith just standing around, you saved the day but just incase you decide to wander around a bit, the same enemies are still there because... eh... we are waiting for another hero to actually mob up the enemy". 

This is a common enough MMO problem, GW2 events rather drive it home with the events that restart the moment you turn your back but because SWTOR lacked EVERYTHING else and tried to survive entirely on its story driven you are the hero mode, that the world never actually changes became a glaring problem.

Clearing planet after planet just felt boring especially as the main personal story just dragged on and on. 

They should have made the game a quarter shorter, turned most of the faction quests into personal quests and removed/reduced the dungeon crawl and sold it as a single player RPG with optional grouping. Also Bioware if you can't write new characters, don't give so many sidekicks. Rather 1 well developed sidekick then 8 boring ones I could swear I already encountered before in other games.

Play it for free for the story as long as you can be bothered, then forget it. This is not the Star Wars MMO you were looking for.

• CatAtomic99CatAtomic99 Member UncommonPosts: 62

I've never seen an MMORPG as linnear as SWtOR, and that's what drove me off more than anything else. You have very little choice in anything; where to go next, what to do-- you basically have one path to travel down, and that's it.

I tend to play these games solo most of the time anyway, so SWtOR's solo-friendly quest design was a bonus as far as I was concerned. But while I like to quest on my own, I don't like to live in a vaccuum. I enjoy player interdepency in other areas, like the market, tradeskills, etc-- and these things are really just obligatory fig leaves in SWtOR.

People play MMOs to make their OWN stories, not to be buckled into a seat and TOLD one. That's what single player games do, and while I absolutely love SWtOR's art design, class design, etc., it's just too "on rails" for me to enjoy for long.

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

My biggest complaint is the way the Flashpoints are handled.

There should be an option to play the story mode and then a mode to just run through the mobs and encounters.

After the first run, it gets very, very, very dull listening to the same dialogues and waiting on people to finish or skip their part.