Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Chat Bubbles...what the heck?

Beatnik59Beatnik59 Chicago, ILPosts: 2,235Member Uncommon

I miss chat bubles.  You know, where you can see the words a character types above the head that said it.

I didn't know how much I missed them until I started playing games that didn't have them...like DC Universe Online.  I guess they were removed because there's a certain segment that doesn't even type anymore.  And there are also spammers.  Still, I find it really hard to be chatting with someone next to me, and having to look down at the chat box to figure out who typed what.

Are chat bubbles pretty much done in this genre?  Or do you think there is still some use for them?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,669Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

I miss chat bubles.  You know, where you can see the words a character types above the head that said it.

I didn't know how much I missed them until I started playing games that didn't have them...like DC Universe Online.  I guess they were removed because there's a certain segment that doesn't even type anymore.  And there are also spammers.  Still, I find it really hard to be chatting with someone next to me, and having to look down at the chat box to figure out who typed what.

Are chat bubbles pretty much done in this genre?  Or do you think there is still some use for them?

I like chat bubbles because it gives more relevance and identity to the statements.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member

There is no good reason not to have them in a game, since every game that has them lets you disable them if you want.  It usually just comes down to the dev's being lazy.  At some point, the people in charge pretty much won't authorize any hours spent working on stuff that they can't actually sell in their cash shop.

You make me like charity

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Chicago, ILPosts: 2,235Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by asmkm22

There is no good reason not to have them in a game, since every game that has them lets you disable them if you want.  It usually just comes down to the dev's being lazy.  At some point, the people in charge pretty much won't authorize any hours spent working on stuff that they can't actually sell in their cash shop.

Heh...I'd actually buy chat bubbles (shh...I shouldn't give them any thoughts).

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

I'd prefer being able to tell who is talking based on, you know, their mouth moving rather than magic floating letters.

That's just me though and obviously chat bubbles aren't always devs being lazy and obviously there are times where adding them to an MMO would be an incredibly stupid thing for a developer to do, toggle or not.  Perfect example - EVE.

El Psy Congroo

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,669Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

I'd prefer being able to tell who is talking based on, you know, their mouth moving rather than magic floating letters.

Have you checked out EQ2? They recently introduced something like that.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre