Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wish this game could transform

ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Because of the nature of licensing agreements, the world is stuck with this Star Wars MMO for who knows how long. I find myself longing for a Star Wars game, but SWTOR is unplayable to me. If only the crew at EAware had the technical skill.

-I wish the engine could be adapted so that the game would operate like contemporary MMOs.

-I wish that new explorable, dynamic (night/day, weather, randomized mobs, varied loot tables) planets would be added that are considered outside of the original storyline, and were there for player adventures.

-I wish that the crafting would open up and be 10 times as complicated and varied.

-I wish that A full 3d space game with varied ships could be added and used to travel between the worlds.

-I wish that they had the ability to add mini-games

-I wish that they could allow players to change the world in some way, to make a mark and achieve something other than completed Karagga' s on NM mode.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Because of the nature of licensing agreements, the world is stuck with this Star Wars MMO for who knows how long. I find myself longing for a Star Wars game, but SWTOR is unplayable to me. If only the crew at EAware had the technical skill.

-I wish the engine could be adapted so that the game would operate like contemporary MMOs.

-I wish that new explorable, dynamic (night/day, weather, randomized mobs, varied loot tables) planets would be added that are considered outside of the original storyline, and were there for player adventures.

-I wish that the crafting would open up and be 10 times as complicated and varied.

-I wish that A full 3d space game with varied ships could be added and used to travel between the worlds.

-I wish that they could allow players to change the world in some way, to make a mark and achieve something other than completed Karagga' s on NM mode.

Amen.  But, sadly, this is no longer the Star Wars we used to know.

'The Star Wars That I Used to Know'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpRE

I too wish SWTOR was truly innovative, like the original Star Wars movies.  I wish Lucas didn't go with EA, because EA never leads any type of innovation, they simply follow what other video games do.  EA is where good game companies go to die [in this case, BioWare, which sold to EA in 2007] :(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by ignore_me

I agree, especially with these two points, but I def don't think that missing any of these makes the game unplayable. It just isn't to your liking.

There Is Always Hope!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    we will see a better star wars game when the license with EAWARE is over (who knows when), and Disney makes a new one from scratch with a better engine and more mmo experienced team. Sorry but its true, we all know Bioware shines with single player stories, not with mmos that should behave like mmos

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I like the game the way it is and the direction it is going.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

Originally posted by Ahnog

..and what direction is that?

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    There is no reason for not having another MMO with SW IP for different time period. No MMO can satisfy everybody... and I bet if such MMO would come, most of people would play both...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    There is no reason for not having another MMO with SW IP for different time period. No MMO can satisfy everybody... and I bet if such MMO would come, most of people would play both...

Exactly. Complaining against an MMO because you dont' like it is fine, but expecting things to change is hard. Companies can't satify everyone although they do make attempts to do that. I like the game very much, my friends I play with love it, my entire guild loves it. We have had over 30 new people join our guild that started or still are f2p'ers that are having a blast.

I do understand what you mean by hoping another Star wars comes out in the sense I wish a Wing Commander type MMO comes out soon that I enjoy. I enjoyed Eve but I'm still waiting.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Karteli

..and what direction is that?

[mod edit]

Well, with MMO's theres definitely room for a lot of  "what if's" which means anything can happen with any MMO, whether it be improve or self implode. What if SWTOR added an open space flight portion to the game? What if they added elements to increase interest in world PvP. As far I've heard, both of those are quite possible as EA BioWare have already admitted to their letdown with Ilum and they also mentioned an open space area was never out of the question, just not available at launch.

Freefoam space flight, mentioned by EA, is "far off".

Ilum PVP is hanmpered by a bad graphics eninge (great for solo or multi-play, bad for massive).  The new Ilum will be "something different"

All portions in quotes are from EA's statements, concerning each subject.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I'm fine with it as well. Looking forward to Makeb. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

You are one of the very few..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I don't currently play but I liked the game alright.  I hope to see them grow into something greater but I think many people need to stop trying to make it like a traditional MMO.  It needs role-play elements, better crafting system, mini-games, more landing points on planets, free space flight/combat... it doesn't need more raids and gear - well it's cool to add them but it shouldn't be the focus.

Now that they've tried to please the MMO crowd and failed, they should look to their current playerbase.  I miss it in a lot of ways but they have a lot of work to do to get me to come back.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Given the massive amount of time involved in making this game, you have to remember that when it was in development the "goal" was to make it just like WoW but with more story and voice acting.  Since WoW was the best selling MMO ever, it made sense to try to copy it with something as powerful as the Star Wars brand.  

The truth is, it took so much money to do the voiceovers and so much time to develop the "story" aspect that many other MMO basics had to be left out.  Plus, they figured you didn't really want 3D open space missions since "story" was the main attraction, and you can't write a story about an open 3D space adventure.

Personally, I just wish we could get DAOC 2.  Oh well.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

You are one of the very few...

....that bother to post on this site.  (There bro, fixed)

Mark me as another.  Im satisfied with the game for what they charge me.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

You are one of the very few...

....that bother to post on this site.  (There bro, fixed)

Mark me as another.  Im satisfied with the game for what they charge me.

if ure a F2Per,,that makes sense

now explain it to those 2 mio box buyers, that didnt get the game they wanted

this game should have launched as F2P,,but would they have made such a big budget game as F2P from start?

i guess this is the first STAR WARS product, that we can get for free,,what does that say about its quality?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I'm happy for those who are happy with SWTOR, I don't pretend to undertsand you, but I'm happy for you. As for me, I am a Star Wars fan but this game cannot sate my urge to play in a SW world.

The thing that is in its shortest quality here is the ability of SWTOR to immerse you outside of a cutscene. If you aren't much of a SW fan or simply don't ask much of your games (not meant as a dig) then this game could fit the bill I guess.

For someone who wanted to go to the space port and hire a freighter to fly them to Dantooine (and not have that be one of the same exact six class ships sans decor or identity), this game is light years apart from that experience.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    we will see a better star wars game when the license with EAWARE is over (who knows when), and Disney makes a new one from scratch with a better engine and more mmo experienced team. Sorry but its true, we all know Bioware shines with single player stories, not with mmos that should behave like mmos

Disney you're our only hope....

Sadly i don't think Disney can answer our collective prayers. You would think that with the money spent they could have managed something alot more impressive. Maybe he next generation of gamers might have a chance, I think the best we can hope for is Titan at this very sad second act.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

I think you are right, most of the SWTOR playerbase will play another SWGame but the reverse will not be true, those that wanted to play SWTOR tried it and the majority left. How many play both rather than switch to the new game is a different matter.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

one of swtors problems , is that it attracts a big variety of players

we have hardcore mmo fans,,,they wiil play anything big

we have kotor fans,,focused on story

we have former swg players,,trying to revive their game

we have the regular star wars fans,,some of them have never tried mmo before

trying to get those groups in the same game takes a game system that supports it

wow did it by sending the players to their respective zones

CoX did it by scaling enemies and difficulty slider

swtor didnt do anything,,thats why most casuals dropped this game in the first month

any game will bleed players ,,every day

the trick is to get new and PAYING customers in at a faster rate

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Yes, that is what Lucasarts planned to do with SWG and SWTOR back in 2008 following the announcement of SWTOR

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/10/25/star-wars-galaxies-looks-to-the-future-with-hoth-bioware/

As far as LucasArts is concerned, SWG and SWTOR can happily co-exist if everything goes as they want it to. Said Neri, "When we launch the game we'll see exactly what will happen. Nobody has a crystal ball. I think the games are clearly different enough that the market can support both of them together." For more details on Galaxies' vitality and capitalizing on movie moments, read into the full article.

That to me sounded like that if things did not go according to plan, then SWG would shut down in 2012 after SWTOR launched and it was succesfull, and SWG became dead.

The servers were dying up until May 2011, but then following the breach and the 45 free days, the populations quadrupled, and SOE were locking down servers to transfers right up until the closure announcement. When the shut down announcement came, populations were still rsing, although people were still on the free time.. Chances are the servers may have died down again after the 45 days, but I think a lot would have subbed, as I doubt many would have sustained playing if they planned to quit, and the population spike would have only lasted a week or two. Considering it was following the security breach where peoples data were compromised, it was quite amazing really as 1) I would have thought people would have just deleted their details and left SOE far behind and 2) None of the previous 30 days free periods had the same effect. It just seemed stupid not to wait a month or something to see what populations would have been like after the end of the 45 days, as they gave a whopping 6 months notice for closure, and 5 months would have been plenty time too.

I think the thing that got to me most about SWGs closure was the way it got shut down - LA went back on their word of running both MMOs at the same time, and it got shut down when it was on the up. If the shut down announcemnt came in April or after the 45 days was up AND servers started to drop right back down again, then it would have been more understandable.

Then something simlar happens with City of Heroes, its shutdown is being questioned as apparently it was still profitable, and makes little sense.

Now SWTOR is in a sad state and EA is claiming that they need 500K subs (or $7.5 million per month) to break even, it does not add confidence in SWTORs future now either, and I do not want to go spending more time and money on a MMO, that gets shut down before I am done with it again - that goes for any MMO not just SWTOR, but SWTOR is not showing much signs of advancement, and stuff that is being put in and coming soon, has been spinning around since June 2012, and no christmas event or any efforts to make the game seem it has a future.

Originally posted by superniceguy

Yes, that is what Lucasarts planned to do with SWG and SWTOR back in 2008 following the announcement of SWTOR

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/10/25/star-wars-galaxies-looks-to-the-future-with-hoth-bioware/

As far as LucasArts is concerned, SWG and SWTOR can happily co-exist if everything goes as they want it to. Said Neri, "When we launch the game we'll see exactly what will happen. Nobody has a crystal ball. I think the games are clearly different enough that the market can support both of them together." For more details on Galaxies' vitality and capitalizing on movie moments, read into the full article.

That to me sounded like that if things did not go according to plan, then SWG would shut down in 2012 after SWTOR launched and it was succesfull, and SWG became dead.

The servers were dying up until May 2011, but then following the breach and the 45 free days, the populations quadrupled, and SOE were locking down servers to transfers right up until the closure announcement. When the shut down announcement came, populations were still rsing, although people were still on the free time.. Chances are the servers may have died down again after the 45 days, but I think a lot would have subbed, as I doubt many would have sustained playing if they planned to quit, and the population spike would have only lasted a week or two. Considering it was following the security breach where peoples data were compromised, it was quite amazing really as 1) I would have thought people would have just deleted their details and left SOE far behind and 2) None of the previous 30 days free periods had the same effect. It just seemed stupid not to wait a month or something to see what populations would have been like after the end of the 45 days, as they gave a whopping 6 months notice for closure, and 5 months would have been plenty time too.

I think the thing that got to me most about SWGs closure was the way it got shut down - LA went back on their word of running both MMOs at the same time, and it got shut down when it was on the up. If the shut down announcemnt came in April or after the 45 days was up AND servers started to drop right back down again, then it would have been more understandable.

Now SWTOR is in a sad state and EA is claiming that they need 500K subs (or $7.5 million per month) to break even, it does not add confidence in SWTORs future now either, and I do not want to go spending more time and money on a MMO, that gets shut down before I am done with it again - that goes for any MMO not just SWTOR, but SWTOR is not showing much signs of advancement, and stuff that is being put in and coming soon, has been spinning around since June 2012, and no christmas event or any efforts to make the game seem it has a future.

The thing is, that there are no even remote plans for any other SW MMO (at least I did not hear about it), and we all know that it takes several years to develop it. I start to think that big budget MMOs era is over... the market is way too unpredictable, and frankly  there is no assurance for any incoming MMO to keep the population for a long time... the market is oversaturated and people get bored pretty fast. I think it's generation issue... people just don't have this sense of commitment as they had before... and it applies to everything... including relationships...

I am glad that I actually enjoy SWTOR, and I hope there will be good stuff coming in years to come, because... let's face it... there is no alternative and there will be no SW MMO in next 5 years at least...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Wait, there are people still acting like SWTOR is doing fine and that nothing is wrong with it? wowzers...

You know, it IS OK to like a game and still admit that there are issues...it IS OK to admit that other players like different types of gameplay and that they actually SHOULD want a game to have it so the game you say you love is liked and played by even MORE people...

it...IS...OK.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

The thing is, that there are no even remote plans for any other SW MMO (at least I did not hear about it), and we all know that it takes several years to develop it. I start to think that big budget MMOs era is over... the market is way too unpredictable, and frankly  there is no assurance for any incoming MMO to keep the population for a long time... the market is oversaturated and people get bored pretty fast. I think it's generation issue... people just don't have this sense of commitment as they had before... and it applies to everything... including relationships...

I am glad that I actually enjoy SWTOR, and I hope there will be good stuff coming in years to come, because... let's face it... there is no alternative and there will be no SW MMO in next 5 years at least...

SWTOR will only be around for years if they can afford the licence renewal, or that EA bought a long term licence, but if the game cost millions to make then they probably skimped on the licence and bought a short term one, with the thought of buying a longer one with the profits, but as they do not seem to be able to break even now, they may not be able to renew the licence. SOE renewed the licence several times, but that is because it did not need $7.5 million per month to break even.

The lack of content / attention that SWTOR is being given is signs that they have a short licence, and that it may not see into 2014. SWG had plenty stuff added to it over the 8.5 years, and even playing it solidly all that time, I still did not do everything it offered when it shut down. I have played most of what SWTOR has to offer, within only months, and now it is just playing through some of the same content over and over again.

SWTOR could have been so much more, but has just keeled over. If it had millions of players, the founders would still be at Bioware reaping the rewards, Makeb would have been in now, plus a tonne more content, and a decent expansion being released that cost $60 or something.

SWTOR will only be around for years if they can afford the licence renewal, or that EA bought a long term licence, but if the game cost millions to make then they probably skimped on the licence and bought a short term one, with the thought of buying a longer one with the profits, but as they do not seem to be able to break even now, they may not be able to renew the licence. SOE renewed the licence several times, but that is because it did not need $7.5 million per month to break even.

The lack of content / attention that SWTOR is being given is signs that they have a short licence, and that it may not see into 2014. SWG had plenty stuff added to it over the 8.5 years, and even playing it solidly all that time, I still did not do everything it offered when it shut down. I have played most of what SWTOR has to offer, within only months, and now it is just playing through some of the same content over and over again.

SWTOR could have been so much more, but has just keeled over. If it had millions of players, the founders would still be at Bioware reaping the rewards, Makeb would have been in now, plus a tonne more content, and a decent expansion being released that cost $60 or something.

How much content SWG had added in the first year? Everything you say is just your opinion and your wishing....

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Gaborik

[mod edit]

It may be dead to him, only 20 servers left, and not just dead in terms of population but in other terms.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

How much content SWG had added in the first year? Everything you say is just your opinion and your wishing....

It is certainly not wishing, and is my opinion but can you say with 100% confidence that SWTOR will last past 2013?

I am not saying 100% that it will shut down, but it does not look good

SWG had enough content to keep enough people playing. Thing is though where it was a sandbox, people mainly made their own fun. There was always something happening to SWG, and you were always busy playing with what there was, to have time to deal with the new stuff.

Do you seriosuly think that SWTOR has all the content of KOTOR 3-9 and beyond which Bioware stated in 2008? If they had that content, it would have been best to have added that than go F2P, or a sizeable chunk be put in now, which would give SWTOR a brighter future. EA said that Makeb would be in before the end of 2012.

Actions speak louder than words, but both their actions and words have been weak, and their lack of actions back things up.

Cryptic/Perfect World have been showing signs of loads of advancements to STO, and has been updated leaps and bounds to what it was at launch, and plenty of stuff coming in 2013. There is definate commitment to that game, and shows signs of a decent future

As SWTOR has gone F2P, they have peoples attention (again), so the few to 6 months from F2P is the time to act with all that content they have, not later in the year, when people have maxed out and given up with the game.