Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Great Weapon Fighter Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios have released another Neverwinter class video. This time the Great Weapon Fighter is spotlighted in a video showing off the massive damage that these front line warriors can deal. Check it out!

Great Weapon Fighters thrive on taking down multiple enemies at once and rely on their innate instinct to strike their foes with deadly precision and timing. Given their versatile combat ability and tank-oriented or DPS-centric abilities, they are able to perform different roles within a party. With special abilities to clear crowds with area-of-effect damage, slow down enemies and deal damage, absorb incoming damage, and close the distance on anyone attempting to escape, Great Weapon Fighters are effective in any combat situation.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PlamgarPlamgar Member Posts: 17
    NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING !
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Looking good
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Looks great, but looks a lot like the traditional WoW warrior.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    This excites me no end! All of my characters are big sword wielding warriors! BOOYAH! :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Uhh yeah! I'm digging the way the game looks in the video!

I may have to give this a shot with the wife. We've been mulling putting Dark Age of Camelot on our systems again because it was so much fun to play together.

I think this iteration of NWN may fill the itch. Looking forward to checking it out

• insaner666insaner666 Member Posts: 18
    Not excited about neverwinter no more, they decided to put a class based on a weapon... what happened with the D&D versatile classes?  this is bad.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I could have sworn the graphics looked better than that last time I saw the gameplay...

You make me like charity

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by insaner666
    Not excited about neverwinter no more, they decided to put a class based on a weapon... what happened with the D&D versatile classes?  this is bad.

I agree.  It won't be very D&D'ish, and I hate that no mmos will adopt a true D&D ruleset for combat and character building.  However, this game could still be fun.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Ummm maybe because there is an actual Fighter Paragon class that is a Great Weapon Fighter....  Maybe you should actually know a thing or two about 4e before making assumtions... faulty ones at that too.

And that is a specialty not a class, the class is still a fighter.  And there the entire classes and paragons are not released either, their will certainly be more at launch just they haven't shown off any yet nor confirmed any.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by bcbully

The AD&D Fighter was the impetus for not only the WoW Warrior but most fantasy MMO Heavy Armored melee classes.  Besides I think the combat style will do more then enough to seperate the similarities.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by adam_nox

I agree.  It won't be very D&D'ish, and I hate that no mmos will adopt a true D&D ruleset for combat and character building.  However, this game could still be fun.

Because tactical combat and MMOs don't jive well.  D&D is for the most part a tactical combat system while MMOs are action based system.  I don't think a true D&D ruleset and char building adaptation is feasable.

I suppose WoW created the heavy armored melee fighter class and EQ, numerous D&D titles, 1e D&D, UO, ect ect all copied WoW's warriror class for their heavy armored melee class.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Ummm maybe because there is an actual Fighter Paragon class that is a Great Weapon Fighter....  Maybe you should actually know a thing or two about 4e before making assumtions... faulty ones at that too.

And that is a specialty not a class, the class is still a fighter.  And there the entire classes and paragons are not released either, their will certainly be more at launch just they haven't shown off any yet nor confirmed any.

Exactly  Blame WotC for introducing uninspiring class names.  Look at the list of 4ed Classes to get a feel for thier naming style.

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Classes

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by adam_nox

The Great Weapon Fighter is taken straight from D&D.... same with the Guardian Fighter, or Trickster Rogue. Those aren't names Cryptic created.

In 4th Edition you have several build options, I guess think of them as kits. And these are merely the name of said kits. Feats, powers, attributes, gear, skills, multi classing and etc are all still options you make within those kits.

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

Sounds good :) , the only one negative thing i found is :

- No real open world :'(

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Man, this game looks more on rails than a SWTOR space mission.

Joined - July 2004

• RannverRannver Member UncommonPosts: 1
    WTF. thot this game was sopose to be based on DnD....
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

I suppose WoW created the heavy armored melee fighter class and EQ, numerous D&D titles, 1e D&D, UO, ect ect all copied WoW's warriror class for their heavy armored melee class.

Didn't you know that WoW created MMOs and everything game related, kinda like Al Gore invented the Internet.

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

Looks good!

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Well this game seems to toss the D&D into the toilet. Can't say if it's a good or bad thing.
  • KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Well this game seems to toss the D&D into the toilet. Can't say if it's a good or bad thing.

I can. It's a bad thing.

After playing Dark Souls, I'm aching for a hard MMORPG.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• ibn_Cartwellibn_Cartwell Member Posts: 47
    All this does is remind me how bad turbine failed with DDO.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

wow you guys are excited by 2005 looking graphics of a character spamming a whirlwind attack?

hope you guys find a game you like, this looks like crap to me

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I was a huge D&D fan as a kid. I will be giving this ago. I never played a warrior type classic back then though, so when I see a wirlwind I think WoW blade storm.

Btw "Roll a d6" is in my top 20 videos of all time ;)
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Actually now that I look at the videos, this game looks and sounds a bit like Vindictus. An action-combat lobby game. But Vindictus is polished and the combat actually feels nice with all the physics elements from Source and Havok engine.

We'll see how this pans out. If it has a good feel in the actual combat and it's FUN I might actually be entertained for a while.

At least the user-generated dungeons should keep people busy for a while.