Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having a blast

I just started GW2 around three weeks ago (playing a warrior), and I'm having a blast. I played WOW for around 4 years or so, and just hit a wall with it, and couldn't even bring myself to log in. Since picking up GW2 I've been having a blast leveling, crafting, exploring, and especially doing loads of PVP. I think one of the things helping me along and keeping it fun is not reading a lot of the hype or hate threads about the game, and just letting the experience take me.

Comments

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    wierd...
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

No no no, you see, in those forums you are supposed to claim that gw2 is an evil themepark that will doom itself, the genre and humanity.

Other then that... I am glad you are having fun, i've yet to play gw2!

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• Yeah I'm liking it, met some cool people so far. I'm not going to say you should run out and buy it because honestly I realize that just because I like playing doesn't mean I need to try and force that on everyone else. Heck I also love playing Star Trek Online, and have had loads of fun in TOR regardless of all of the hate it's been getting. Just gotta tune the love/hate out and form your own opinion.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Now that's a really healthy thinking. I'm glad you are having fun :)
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    avoiding both the hype and the hate is a smart way of approaching this game. I find it to be excellent, but that is because it suits my personal preference very well. Others may not. And some people just like to complain.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

3-4 weeks is cool.

Let us know how you feel after 3-4 months.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Yeah it's pretty fun especially the storylines etc..  I like how levels and gear are pretty much meaningless.  Not once did I feel like gaining a new level or gear actually made me stronger! 
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by paulytheb

3-4 weeks is cool.

been playing since launch, still feel the same way! :D

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• Originally posted by paulytheb

3-4 weeks is cool.

I survived wow for 4 years, I'm sure I'll still be having fun with GW2 for quite some time. 

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Not reading forums about an mmo is always a good idea. I actually liked my time in FF XIV until I started reading their official forums.
    Originally posted by EccentricPenguin

3-4 weeks is cool.

I survived wow for 4 years, I'm sure I'll still be having fun with GW2 for quite some time. 

What server are you on eccentric? im on JQ(the best server), maybe we could game sometime :D

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• I play on Gate of Madness. I'd xfer over to JQ but it's listed as full.
    I play on Gate of Madness. I'd xfer over to JQ but it's listed as full.

it's evening, dont expect to hop into JQ until very late tonight, or early in the morning. BUT, should you find your way over, my name is Taaz , and i have a active 500 member guild you can wet your feet in until you find one you like more. Or you can stay, like most of em do. Enjoy, in any case!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Great game, until you hit 80 after like 40 hours played and quickly realize...that's pretty much it.

Joined - July 2004

• Originally posted by remyburke
    Great game, until you hit 80 after like 40 hours played and quickly realize...that's pretty much it.

The thing I'm looking forward to the most is hitting 80 and doing large quantities of WVW :D I'll look for you in game soon, Toxia.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by remyburke

The thing I'm looking forward to the most is hitting 80 and doing large quantities of WVW :D I'll look for you in game soon, Toxia.

WVW is a blast at 80.  WvW is my "end game" as well since I have never been a raider, nor someone who needs to be shovel fed PVE content to make me happy.  It's just more fun going up against the "living" and using skill instead of uber gear that was recieved in some time sink raid.  I guess some PVE'ers might feel let down or not about Anet's version of endgame, but that's the same as people who only play CoD singleplayer and are left wanting more after a 5-7 hour campaign.  It's the PVP / WvW that makes this game shine. Well, for me at least.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Every time I see the word "blast" I think that person is a paid shill...

• Originally posted by Psychow

Man that was a blast to my ego! j/k, no paid shill here.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Psychow

Lol, if I only was. 

/runstobanktocashshillcheck

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    I just started GW2 around three weeks ago (playing a warrior), and I'm having a blast. I played WOW for around 4 years or so, and just hit a wall with it, and couldn't even bring myself to log in. Since picking up GW2 I've been having a blast leveling, crafting, exploring, and especially doing loads of PVP. I think one of the things helping me along and keeping it fun is not reading a lot of the hype or hate threads about the game, and just letting the experience take me.

I even still have a blast while reading those posts ^^

Glad you enjoy the game. Awesome indeed.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

For $50 bucks and no sub fees...I think I got a ton of value with this game.  I've been playing since launch, hit 80 a while ago but I'm still loving it.   I am looking forward to an expansion some time down the road, but meanwhile I'm keeping busy exploring the map.  After that, maybe I'll work up a crafting profession or get serious about one of my alts.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Toxia

3-4 weeks is cool.

been playing since launch, still feel the same way! :D

ditto

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Psychow

On the same note, every time I see somebody posting negatively about 1 game, It hink they probably post negatively about every game.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by remyburke

Unless you have the gold and desire to power level via crafting, it does not take 40 hours to hit level 80. The average seems to be around 115 hours, but I know people who have put leveling speed completely aside and take a lot longer than that.

Also, I disagree that once you hit 80, that's it. Even as an alt-a-holic I've logged over 250 hours of my 700+ hours on level capped characters. I don't even spend much time in Dungeons or sPvP/WvW, most of that time is spent out in the massive game world.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated