Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Excuse me, but this really annoys me...

Every now and then, I find myself reading an article on this website, about whatever thing about MMORPGs.. I read columns and what not....

But something that annoys me is how limited some writers seem to be when discussin certain matters, that I sometimes wonder, is this site only considering P2P games? Is it considering games that has not come to the western market? It does not seem so, because often, I read articles stating false things.

The last article I read was an article about Final Fantasy's combat system, taking up the Action combat as "the new way of going" when creating mmorpgs, that "point & click" is out-dated. But the writer obviously has no idea that action combat was released YEARS before in other games than Tera.

I often see that writers just ignores good looking games from the eastern market. Please do not, I might just sound butthurt and annoyed and probably annoys some of you here, but really, for the sake of pandas, be more open minded! I want to continue read articles on this site but sometimes the amount of lack of knowledge destroys everything.

Am I the only one?

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I don't think they're necessarily ignoring eastern games, but I do remember reading from one of the staff that since mmorpg.com's main userbase is centered in the west, they prefer to focus on topics that is more relevant to their western audience than eastern games that will often simply never reach us. Some exceptions would include ArcheAge and the likes but that's because the western audience is already showing interest.

As far as MMORPG.com covering more P2Ps than F2Ps, I think it's because there hasn't been any notable F2P worth mentioning (besides when they get paid to advertise), but they do cover F2Ps every now and then when something interesting pops up (like they did with Vindictus, amongst many). 

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Kirexy

Every now and then, I find myself reading an article on this website, about whatever thing about MMORPGs.. I read columns and what not....

But something that annoys me is how limited some writers seem to be when discussin certain matters, that I sometimes wonder, is this site only considering P2P games? Is it considering games that has not come to the western market? It does not seem so, because often, I read articles stating false things.

The last article I read was an article about Final Fantasy's combat system, taking up the Action combat as "the new way of going" when creating mmorpgs, that "point & click" is out-dated. But the writer obviously has no idea that action combat was released YEARS before in other games than Tera.

I often see that writers just ignores good looking games from the eastern market. Please do not, I might just sound butthurt and annoyed and probably annoys some of you here, but really, for the sake of pandas, be more open minded! I want to continue read articles on this site but sometimes the amount of lack of knowledge destroys everything.

Am I the only one?

Its the same for music and many other topics of interest. Many, MANY of the games that you could potentially reference are also not available in english. So when considering culture, distance and accessibility, it seems very logical to me. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Am I the only one?

It's not the writers it's the readers. When they write something that no one reads it doesn't realy inspire to write more. These stories are there to bring people to the stie and read about games. If people don't like what they're seeing they wont come back to read it.

The site is a business not a news site. It just so happens, news about games helps make money...if ....people are interested in what that news is.

As far as the action combat. Single player games may have done it years before but action combat is still pretty new to MMOs. Tabula rasha wanted to do it but the tech wasn't there. That game isn't all THAT old. Tera may not have been the first but it's probably one of the largest and most well known to do it, and it is becoming more popular so " the new way of going " while terrible English :P isn't totally wrong :)

• LuckshmiLuckshmi Member Posts: 74

Am I the only one?

they provide what was demanded, and on this case.. they cater western humans for this kind of articles.. but not that I don't see your point.

I'm also a bit annoyed since I do enjoy a lot of eastern games (please don't insert the korean grinder issue shit here) soo.. yeah. If a lot of eastern dudes like us visit this site maybe they'll consider? who knows.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

There is a certain bias against Eastern Market games especially ones that have not been translated into English. That is to be expected though. Overall MMORPG does a pretty good job of covering what is out there in terms of game people can play in the Western marker. Vindictus came out a year before TERA and it was covered. There was also coverage of C9 and Blade & Soul. What games do you feel were being ignored? Some examples would help understand what you are getting at here.

• KirexyKirexy Member Posts: 21

Well, what annoyed me was how they sometimes talked like the Eastern MMO industry didn't even exist, considering that Tera "invented action combat".

The rest you say makes sense, but I would like them to show awareness.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What annoys me is that the Eastern MMO industry exists at all with all those exagerated charicatures of western monsters and sexualized pre-pubescent toons.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Surely you give your readers what they want, and I think few readers of mmorpg.com are all that interested in the traditional eastern grindy, anime mmo.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101