Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is wrong with my computer?

dg29031994dg29031994 Member UncommonPosts: 135
I have not use this Desktop for 2 months, yesterday i reinstalled the window, everything worked fine, i turned it off because it does not have any wireless card and could not plug to the router since it is so far away. So i waited till today, i bought the Wireless USB, i turned the system on, but nothing show on the monitor. Everything seem fine, all the fans are running, the graphic card is running, does not look like it has any problem, but it just did not show anything on the monitor. I checked the monitor, it worked fine, all the cabel are tired. What could be the problem? The only thing i can think off right now is that the CPU is dead. What do you guys think ?

Comments

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

what monitor you using? i've had many problems with LCD not working. they go bad within 1 or 2 years. i really hate lcd screens but that's all they sell anymore. hmm wonder why.

edit: nevermind i see you mentioned the monitor is fine.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    unplug your computer from power, hold the power button in for 2 minutes. Plug it back in and try it. If that doesn't work you might have a problem with your power supply or worse.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Everybody instantly assumes the worst :)

You may simply have a short between the motherboard and the case, it's a common enough problem.  If you feel comfortable performing this kind of procedure it's easy to check.  Take everything apart from the DVD drive, HDD etc. out of the case.  Place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface like wood and then plug everything in.  Start it up either by connecting the power switch from the case and using that or by shorting across the power switch pins on the motherboard ( some boards now have a small button for this process ).  If everything starts up fine then the problem was caused by the earlier mentioned short.  The solution is to now put everything back into the case, insulating with fibre washers where needed.  Hope that solves it :)

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by eric1000

Everybody instantly assumes the worst :)

You may simply have a short between the motherboard and the case, it's a common enough problem.  If you feel comfortable performing this kind of procedure it's easy to check.  Take everything apart from the DVD drive, HDD etc. out of the case.  Place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface like wood and then plug everything in.  Start it up either by connecting the power switch from the case and using that or by shorting across the power switch pins on the motherboard ( some boards now have a small button for this process ).  If everything starts up fine then the problem was caused by the earlier mentioned short.  The solution is to now put everything back into the case, insulating with fibre washers where needed.  Hope that solves it :)

I really hope this was not a serious suggestion.

Are you using a discrete Graphics card? If so make sure all the connections are correct, its seated in the motherboard properly, the fans are turning on when you power up the PC, Are the PCI-E power connectors plugged in? ect.. If all this is correct and you still have no signal, then if your motherboard has ONboard video try using that . Some motherboard may use the onboard first and you have to switch over to discete card in the bios.

If you try all that and still nothing then try ( if possible ) another video card and see if you get something off of it. If you get a signal off of another video card then you will know the old GPU is bad.

Do NOT pull your motherboard out, lay it on the counter and hotwire it to see if it works, Terribad idea.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Check to see if the montior is on,  somebody might have turned it off while you were away.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by stayontarget
    Check to see if the montior is on,  somebody might have turned it off while you were away.

LOL

Yeah that too. It might sound silly but .....

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Did you put the Wireless USB into to USB befor you booted the PC? If so have you tried to start your PC without the Wireless USB?

Maybe you got prob with the USB port. If the PC can be booted without the Wireless USB then its maybe a damaged USB port.

If this is not the case, it could be your power supply. You could go behind your PC and take a nose full, to see/smell if it smells like burned wire.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• dg29031994dg29031994 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Problem solved. Power Supply problem. Thank you for your time guys ^^ <3