Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest disappointment of the year

1234568»

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Without a shadow of a doubt, I'd have to say TSW. I really expected a small niche title to have a good community.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

GW2 for me, played it VERY briefly and couldn't help but feel like it regressed the genre instead of evolving it in a good way.

Luckily, I didn't waste any money on it.

Of the games I did invest into (time and money), none let me down. I guess I pick winners (as far as my personal taste goes).

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

Just read another thread disputing the results of this thread. 

To be honest, when I made this thread I had no intention of inserting a poll (until it was suggested) because it was frankly a forgone conclusion which two mmo's would be coming out on top.  

But at the same time, I think this poll also demonstrates why the 'best game' polls are nonsense; for the same reason that the more interest a game has, the more votes it will attract regardless of the polls 'label'.  You may as well label McDonald's 'best restaurant' and coca cola 'most disappointing drink'.    

That's my two cents worth anyway.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    GW2 by far. It should have been named ZERG WARS instead of guild wars. At least it was B2P and I'm sure most feel like they got their money's worth.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I'm not saying who's right or wrong, but the Game of The Year being the most disappointing game of the year by a wide margin shows a real disconnect. 

Not really, I think it makes sense that the biggest games of the year are also the biggest disappointments.  The more people playing them, the more people to be disappointed.

And the more people who have never played it to dislike it.

• kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79

I oddly enjoy reading these threads just to hear others opinions. Also read the what are you playing now thread, was actually kinda funny that I noticed it goes like this:

Most Disappointing- GW2

Playing now - GW2

I laughed because it's true for me. I fell for the huge hype up until they announced there was no trinity and I was a bit heartbroken by that. I love playing healer/support and for me, spam cleansing debuffs isn't really my idea of fun support. I tried guardian, tried so hard to love it and I hated it. Buffs/debuffs are just so spammable...

I just can't get into GW2 combat, no matter how hard I try, and I'm not quite sure WHY I hate it so much. I've leveled 3 different classes to 40 and found them all to be boring. Right now working on a Mesmer, but so bored with it. Instances were horrific to me, the pure randomness isn't enjoyable. Zerg Wars as someone put it is correct. There isn't really any reason to interact with anyone, or use strategy. We've been farming the Kessex event belt and that's about as much interaction with people as I've ever gotten. At least the community is pretty nice though.

Overall GW2 isn't necessarily a "bad" game, it just seems targeted to a casual audience. And I admit I'm playing it now because there's nothing else worth playing =(

EDIT* Tera is going f2p finally, get to get rid of GW2 yay

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by GrannyCakes
    I thought Rift is actually pretty cool. Don't know why its on the list.

Neither Rift nor TOR should be on the list as both were released in 2011. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    I'm not saying who's right or wrong, but the Game of The Year being the most disappointing game of the year by a wide margin shows a real disconnect. 

Not really, I think it makes sense that the biggest games of the year are also the biggest disappointments.  The more people playing them, the more people to be disappointed.

Unless the fans of GW2 decide to choose a target and vote en mass to rig the poll, GW2 as the biggest game of the list (and the most threatning with no subscription, no holy trinity, no raid and more individual freedom) will collect the more hater votes.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Unless the fans of GW2 decide to choose a target and vote en mass to rig the poll, GW2 as the biggest game of the list (SWTOR is long forgotten) will collect the more hater votes.

Why shoould it be on the poll when the MMORPG.com staff don't even include it in their "best of" lists or even an honerable mention. Or is Pirates 101 just lightyears ahead of WoW?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Unless the fans of GW2 decide to choose a target and vote en mass to rig the poll, GW2 as the biggest game of the list (SWTOR is long forgotten) will collect the more hater votes.

Why shoould it be on the poll when the MMORPG.com staff don't even include it in their "best of" lists or even an honerable mention. Or is Pirates 101 just lightyears ahead of WoW?

It actually is in the list but it is just easy to miss. image

Not that I was disapointed with any game - I only played GW2, TSW and PS2 this year (from the MMO genre) and all were what I was expecting.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Scarfe

To be honest, when I made this thread I had no intention of inserting a poll (until it was suggested) because it was frankly a forgone conclusion which two mmo's would be coming out on top.  

But at the same time, I think this poll also demonstrates why the 'best game' polls are nonsense; for the same reason that the more interest a game has, the more votes it will attract regardless of the polls 'label'.  You may as well label McDonald's 'best restaurant' and coca cola 'most disappointing drink'.    

Yup, the bigger/popular games will usually be the best and worst.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Scarfe

Yup, the bigger/popular games will usually be the best and worst.

Ofcourse, the more popular the game, more people will play it and more the chances of being disappointed like GW2.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• iLoveMMORPGsiLoveMMORPGs Member Posts: 8
    TSW. I had so much hope for this game but after completing all the missions, lore, rares, achievements and grinding out a couple of sets of 10.4 and 10.3s it was just boring as hell. Although the erp was steamy hot around the Horned God.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Rift, the advertising for the expansion was so enticing, but the game was still crap.
  • PermadudePermadude Member Posts: 16
    GW2, the hype was not reflected in the actual (imo mediocre) game in the slightest.  
  • klaphoodklaphood Member UncommonPosts: 10

Sadly, as most people here, Bore Wars 2.

Just a little surprised I'm not the only one feeling this way about GW2. I had been following every step of it's developement whole-hearted, over all those years. I was bored after 3 hours, done for good after about 3 weeks. But although I had sworn myself it'd be the very last game to let my hopes and anticipation get up for, and it turned out the way it did, I still wish ArenaNet and all their beautiful and talented staff members the very best for GW2's future.

Well, maybe not Colin Johansson. *lol* Just kidding. ;)

But, hey, life goes on. ;) And so do Next-Hope-MMOs. BTW, can't wait for Final Fantasy XIV 2.0. <3

If there's one thing in the world regarding MMORPGs I haven't experienced yet, it's the same game failing horribly TWICE :D

So there's always something coming. ;)

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Rift, the advertising for the expansion was so enticing, but the game was still crap.

Mark me as interested... so how would you transform it to make it suit your needs?

• HedakeHedake Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Non MMO Game would D3, I played D2 forever and thought I would do so with D3. I wouldnt even buy the xpac now. MMO would be GW2. The lack of the "dynamic" system they hyped, the story being worthless and trivial and the crafting being horrible killed it for me. Arena Net hyped those things, the gamers didnt. Had this been a sub game I dont think it would have been nearly as successful. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Deleted User

maybe dissatisfaction and whining will help the genre move forward.

Yeah, good luck with that.

I didn't have a "biggest disappointment" because the only game I had hopes for was GW2 and it met my expectations.  I was a little disappointed in Tera, but it was easy to toss aside since I hadn't really been anticipating it that much.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Deewe
    Originally posted by evilastro

Mark me as interested... so how would you transform it to make it suit your needs?

1) Remove the multi-soul crap which just makes the classes watered down. Still have soul switching ,but make them all a viable individual class with real variety and flavour spells / skills.

2) Revamp combat so it isnt just macro spamming.

3) Introduce interesting races.