Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest disappointment of the year

Comments

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

P101 - Love it, great game to be with the family

SWTOR - (assuming f2p) - Not disapointed at all, I understood exactly what they said what they were going to give.

Warz - Never got to play, looked interesting, so cannot comment.

Tera - Tried it, "real time combat" that was horrible for anything other than melee, sorry pass

GW2 - Other threads sum this up better. So much hype, so little delivered, and I'm a casual gamer. I had more fun in SWTOR (then again I'm an RPer, I like story rather than grind)

MoP - Don't like Wow, Pandas don't change it. Wasn't disapointed as I never touched it. so I got exactly what I expected from it.

Rift - Loved the game. Not enough time to make a sub worth it (imho) however so my account lies dormant. SOOOO tempted to pick up Storm Legion

As for the rest, never touched em, so cannot have an oppinion.

TSW was a great thinking game. I'm glad that this came along and made me think. This game is only really fun if you work at it by not just going to the "cheat sites" and getting the answer. The long and hard puzzles and quests are really what that game is all about.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I voted for none of the above - my biggest disappointment is the the gaming forums where people incessantly whine all the time.

• UnclenoteethUnclenoteeth Member Posts: 4
    Absolutely GW2 for me. The developers changed the game too much for my liking.  I loved the first GW, was the guild leader of a Guild of The Week guild and loved the game. IMO the developers simply did not hold true to the original as they said they would.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by botrytis
    I voted for none of the above - my biggest disappointment is the the gaming forums where people incessantly whine all the time.

In other words ' i am upset because GW2 is leading the polls'. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

GW2 definately. They didn't manage to please the fans of GW1 and they didn't appeal to the mmorpg crowd either.

But then again I called this when I first saw the skill system and the non-existance of a gear treadmill (which they added later on).

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

TERA was a disappointment, i expected much, much more than a barebones mmo with nice combat.

The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2, Firefall & RaiderZ ended up being what I expected.

As far expansions go. WoW, Rift, Eve and Lotro had good offerings this year.

Aion and Swotor going F2p was a plus imo since i like free. 

All in all it was a good year for MMOs. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Biggest dissapointment of the year...

The attitude of hardcore MMO players towards current day games.  All the  flaming on  the forums.  All 3 games named by the OP were not perfect, but still they where above average, some where way above average.

GW2 is by far the most renewing games in years, sadly most hardcore members didn´t understand it was meant for a casual friendly atmosphere, and keep kicking it in the back, making it look like the game failed, while its a huge succes.

TSW was not bad either, great atmosphere but not enough content to keep people going.

SWTOR was a great one timeplay through (actually 2 times ) story game. A bit to much RPG for most, but quite enjoyable for a month or 2.

Maybe all the MMO bashers by now should realise that they are done and over with current day MMORPG´s as they will never ever be sattisfied by any MMO any more. Its time for them to move on to other genres.

I love this "New" MMO attitude. "The game was a success because people enjoyed it for a couple of months." Back in the hay day of MMOs you didn't blow through all the game had to offer in a month of two. Games like EQ, UO, AO, SB, SWG, DAoC and even the original WOW kept people subscribed for 1-3 years minimum always finding new things to do. These were deep involved games with layers within layers of complexity. Now MMOs have the depth of a teaspoon and we should just "Deal with it"? I think even MMO developers are starting to realize that we aren't just going to "Deal with it" any longer. Some of the games in development now look to be a throw-back to the old days of MMOs. Will they be all that they claim? We shall have to wait and see.

Oh and I voted for the WarZ in the poll. Out of all of the games listed it was the only one I was even remotely interested in. What a huge disappointment that game was. Buggy unfinished crap-fest.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• SelectorSelector Member Posts: 4

My biggest disappointment was actually "Guild Wars 2". The game's content was consider good, Graphic is kind of consider good too.

Just that I personally find the team who is maintaining it FAILED.

Why?

Look at their forum on daily how many got banned due to sending equipment and money by using Mailing. Oh you can't trade in Guild Wars 2, You can only use by sending In-Game mail, or using their in-game trading system which cost you around 7% of your overall sales.

Your guildmate loan you money to buy items (ONLY CAN BE SEND BY IN-GAME MAIL), either one of you got banned, unluckily, both got banned.

When you return the money to your guildmate (ONLY CAN RETURN BY USING IN-GAME MAIL), again either one of you got banned. unluckily, both got banned again.

LOL

It was due to the Auto Banning system, that just goes on banning player.

There was a supportive section that you could submit your ticket, but many banned player just receive no reply, till they started to post on their forum and getting someone's attention.

Interesting part was they created a forum section for those who were banned innocently for 3 days or more. Only your case were banned 3 days or more, you are allowed to post on forum. The moderator kind of promises to the player if they posted there, they will review it faster, which somehow cut the queue of others who might have been banned for days longer. Which is kind of double standard i guess.

Sometimes the moderator will actually asked you to keep in touch with the support section, but the key is, we did send in the ticket and they just don't reply. You need to please them and talk to them really nicely, and best of all still up to their mood.

When they check and Unbanned you claiming you are innocent, They just say we will release you account, and that is it. Nothing, not even a "sorry" or something. No compensation, totally nothing.

Hereby, I wish to share with dear player out there, Next time before you settle down and starts to invest your time on a game, Kindly take a closer look at the forum. It the Team are lazy and started to use auto banning system to work on behalf, then really no point to invest money and time playing it.

If you play for it, Don't in the end you turn out to be a begger and being shut off by the games management just like a kids.

For me personally, I would never try playing on anything hosted by ArenaNet, NC Soft again.

Here is my personal Thinking, Just my personal thought, maybe you might disagree, but just to share.

Everyone happy Gaming. =p

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I'd have to say GW2 for me, and I'm not even all that hardcore about my gaming, if anything I am pretty casual. I just don't think the DE system worked as well as it should have, and the lack of variety of actual attack skills is surprisingly important to me.

However, that's not to say that the game is a complete failure. They did many things right. The game world is beautiful and exploration is rewarded. There was a lot of little touches too. Such as having the Shatterer fly over as you are trying to help reinforce the Charr forces, man that gets me going.

If they were to fix crafting a bit (like trophy reqs for many lower level items), add additional attacks for the weapons available (perhaps new lines of attacks to be unlocked via karma, DEs, story line quests, etc), and tweak the DE system to make areas that are underpopulated feel a bit more fun, I would play the game far more often.

Originally posted by Kaneth

I'd have to say GW2 for me, and I'm not even all that hardcore about my gaming, if anything I am pretty casual. I just don't think the DE system worked as well as it should have, and the lack of variety of actual attack skills is surprisingly important to me.

However, that's not to say that the game is a complete failure. They did many things right. The game world is beautiful and exploration is rewarded. There was a lot of little touches too. Such as having the Shatterer fly over as you are trying to help reinforce the Charr forces, man that gets me going.

If they were to fix crafting a bit (like trophy reqs for many lower level items), add additional attacks for the weapons available (perhaps new lines of attacks to be unlocked via karma, DEs, story line quests, etc), and tweak the DE system to make areas that are underpopulated feel a bit more fun, I would play the game far more often.

I remembered someone was giving some suggestion just like you, to the moderator and mention if they can accept more suggetion and do some changes, here and there. If not they might lose more player.

In the end, the moderator reply claiming they currently having 300k account. To shut him off. LOL

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

I was really gunning for GW2. I believed the hype. I forced myself to play the original even though I sucked all the fun that was to be had from that game (which was considerable, make no mistake) long ago to get those Hall of Watchahoozits acheivements that you could carry over into the new game. I was going to buy a new PC for it. Well, thankfully in retrospect, hard economic times kept a new PC out of reach for me, so I reluctantly passed on this game.

From this thread it is apparent that I dodged a bullet. Let's make it official: Guild Wars 2: Biggest Disappointment of 2012. Next time you hear someone talking about "changing the way we think about MMORPG's" remember Robert Fripp's quote about musicians: "Anytime you hear a musician talking about 'expressing himself musically' you know it's going to suck." :)

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Rohn

GW2 was the biggest disappointment by far for me.

ANet promised the world - even going so far as to write a "manifesto" - yet failed to produce a game that was truly different.  In fact, GW2 is essentially an amalgamation of ultra-easy MMO systems, the kind that have been killing the MMO genre for years. Meaningless world, useless virtual society, etc.

Thats exacly what i meant when i said, im missing the game within the game.

All new games looking incredible good, the Teso trailer looks totally cute, but i bet it will be another mainstreamed dump down for a dumped down population. Why should it be different ? havnt you seen the servers list ? .. ooh ya, "we are totally different because we make it feel like one thing" .. ya, sure.

There was always this incompatibility between belivers and facts.

I dont aim TESO in first place, it happend to nearly every game released last year.

I think, thats why many people return to the good old stuff like Everquest or Anarchy Online.

You'd wonder, how many people are there these days ^^

Any good suggestion of MMO? Since a group of us around 15 players are moving out of guild wars 2. Thinking to ask for a refund from them too and move on to a new game.

Any good games offer for consideration?

1) Must be able to trade each other.

2) Helping each other by loaning equipment is not banable. Because sometimes we need to chip in equipment to a team to complete a dungeon since we are not spending money for illegal gold or in-game money. So sometimes good gear can be really expensive, we got no choice but to chip in to help. (I mean borrowing from our own friends, not from outsider)

3) Good supportive Game master.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I'm not saying who's right or wrong, but the Game of The Year being the most disappointing game of the year by a wide margin shows a real disconnect. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Selector

Any good suggestion of MMO? Since a group of us around 15 players are moving out of guild wars 2. Thinking to ask for a refund from them too and move on to a new game.

2) Helping each other by loaning equipment is not banable. Because sometimes we need to chip in equipment to a team to complete a dungeon since we are not spending money for illegal gold or in-game money. So sometimes good gear can be really expensive, we got no choice but to chip in to help. (I mean borrowing from our own friends, not from outsider)

If not affraid to invest time, your 15 man guild can make an impact in Age of Wushu. Control your land and claim your non-instanced guild keep. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Buy-to-Play like GW? Nothing I can think of.

Traditional sub? Perhaps wait for the reboot of Final Fantasy XIV. Their previous spanking seems to have humbled them.

Free-to-play? Maybe Lord of the RIngs Online. Otherwise, take your tower and monitor and place it in your driveway and run it over with your car. It will be more fun and less destructive (to your soul at least.) :)

• CordenCorden Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by tyfon

Definitivly GW2 and D3.

I lasted to level 59 in D3 before getting frustrated with the loot system, and in GW2 managed to level to 30 in two weeks and then I figured out just how shallow the combat, skill and rpg systems were. 

I'm actually inclined to say D3 was the biggest of them as I didn't have as high expectations of GW2 as D3.

This reflects my sentiments exactly.

I got to 55 in D3 before realizing how AH dependent it was and quit.

In GW2, I played several characters over a couple of weeks, my highest getting to 30, before I realized it didn't offer a unique enough experience to hold my attention and retreated from that front as well.

But also like you, and unlike most others on this site, I was actually more hyped over D3 then GW2, and as such, more let down. GW2 was actually a last minute buy for me. I never was that hyped for it in the first place, so I wasn't very surprised when it didn't fit the bill.

SWTOR was more of 2011 obsession for me (When I say that, I mean I spent most of 2011 waiting for it), and only fell into a bit of 2012, so I won't go into that.

Originally posted by Scottgun

Traditional sub? Perhaps wait for the reboot of Final Fantasy XIV. Their previous spanking seems to have humbled them.

Free-to-play? Maybe Lord of the RIngs Online. Otherwise, take your tower and monitor and place it in your driveway and run it over with your car. It will be more fun and less destructive (to your soul at least.) :)

So did you do that to your new PC too?

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I'm not saying who's right or wrong, but the Game of The Year being the most disappointing game of the year by a wide margin shows a real disconnect. 

This can be easily explained: GW2 has many fanboys, and they voted it game of the year. Those fanboys convinced many more players to buy GW2 and most of them found it really disappointing.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

April 10 2012.

My Birthday.

My wife asks me," What would you like for your B-day this year?" I reply, " There is a new video game coming out, it sounds cool, how about you get me that?" She wisely asks," How much?"  I tell her its sixty bucks just like any other new game.So she says,"Okay" and gives me some cash. I go ahead and pre-order GW2.

Fast forward a few months and my highest level character is in his 40's and I haven't logged in since Halloween.( I didn't do any of the holiday events.)

What I should Have done...

April 10, 2012

My Birthday.

My wife asks me,"What would you like for your B-day this year?"

I reply, "Lets go get drunk and screw."

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

It ain't really a wide margin, and we know that by the nature of the poll what the answer would be since the amount of people who have an opinion(good or bad) on said game is way bigger for that game than any other on the list.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Wow after 3 days running and near 600 votes GW2 is running away with this Poll ... If it wasnt for TOR which shouldnt be on this list .. GW2 would have literally crushed all the competition ...

I honestly expected this result as GW2 was so hyped by Amet and its community that it really could only dissapoint in the end ..But the game is a letdown in sooo many ways and each week more folks get to 80 get bored and leave ..

Originally posted by Scottgun

So did you do that to your new PC too?

Of course not. It's like the boy who was asked why he was hitting himself in the head with a hammer and replied because it felt good when he stopped. Likewise, after playing yet another f2p cash-shop grinder, it felt good to stop. :)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Not really, I think it makes sense that the biggest games of the year are also the biggest disappointments.  The more people playing them, the more people to be disappointed.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Diablo 3, by far.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky