Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well apparently you can not discuss polls about GW2 from other websites on official forums!

DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

An hour ago i saw a topic posted by someone from mmorpg.com to discuss the poll which shows GW2 leading with 38% poll as biggest disappointment of the year The topic was locked and reason given was 'you can not discuss polls about GW2 from other website'. An now i can't find that topic. It is completely removed.

I wanted to link the topic here but its gone 'poof' like it never existed.

Is it me or modserators make rules as they go? there was not a single flame or derogatory post  in that topic when i last cheked. Or is it that they didn't like the result of the poll? i bet if you post polls from IGN, massively and other such websites where GW2 is leading and winning, they wouldn't remove it.

I hardly visit GW2 forums anymore and stick to mmorpg.com forums because of the freedom you get to discuss around here as long as you keep things civil.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Comments

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

An hour ago i saw a topic posted by someone from mmorpg.com to discuss the poll which shows GW2 leading with 38% poll as biggest disappointment of the year The topic was locked and reason given was 'you can not discuss polls about GW2 from other website'. An now i can't find that topic. It is completely removed.

I wanted to link the topic here but its gone 'poof' like it never existed.

Is it me or modserators make rules as they go? there was not a single flame or derogatory post  in that topic wheni last cheked. Or is it that they didn't like the result of the poll? i bet if you post polls from IGN, massively and other such websites where GW2 is leading and winning, they wouldn't remove it.

I hardly visit GW2 forums anymore and stick to mmorpg.com forums because of the freedom you get to discuss aroudn here as long as you keep things civil.

Oh well. Discuss it here maybe? 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Well that is the idea to discuss it here, i am just a little surprised at heavy moderation and damage control going on GW2 forums. Things used to be a lot better couple of months back.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    So where is that poll from?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    You cannot discuss anything in forums that live off publicity or that belong to the game in question itself unless its positive and keeps people coming back. If you want to discuss a game, a poll, anything, you need anonymous forums such as 4chan or uncontrolled forums like reddit. Else, just be positive, be happy and act as if the industry was doing great!

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Just a troll poll from the Pubs section at MMORPG here.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Volkon

Just because it didn't support a game your a fanboi of doesn't mean its a "troll poll". Not everyone likes any game, and people can enjoy games that aren't that 'amazing' just as well and like it a lot. Just because facts don't support what you feel does not make it untrue. If 38% of the people were disapointed by the game in the poll, then 38% of the people were disapointed by it, simple as that and no matter how much you love the game it doesn't change that fact. The poll itself I even recall voting for on this site.

As for the OP, its not to surprising. ANet is pretty heavy on using propaganda to support their game, though its good to note a lot of companies do just that, not just ANet. Its usually best to keep negative talk to a minimum on the forum to help paint a picture of the game being in a great state, something a good majority of game developers do, not just ANet. ANet just happens to be on the poor stingent side of this.

• bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

IMO, I would have done the same.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you did anything 'bad', but that is a company website.  If I made a game, and people were posting stuff about how bad my game sucked, of course I would remove it.  Not because I don't believe in 'freedom of speech', but because it just doesn't belong on the official forums like that.  There is a certain image or attitude they are trying to build for their forums, and by posting or should I say 'cross posting' stuff like that, it goes against what they are trying to accomplish.

If you purchased your own domain, programmed your own forums, and managed to get hundreds of people to come to it, you could post whatever you wanted.

You wouldn't go to your neighbors house and take a dump in his front room would you?

The end story is: It's their forums, they can do what they want with them.  You're just a visitor.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Just because it didn't support a game your a fanboi of doesn't mean its a "troll poll". Not everyone likes any game, and people can enjoy games that aren't that 'amazing' just as well and like it a lot. Just because facts don't support what you feel does not make it untrue. If 38% of the people were disapointed by the game in the poll, then 38% of the people were disapointed by it, simple as that and no matter how much you love the game it doesn't change that fact. The poll itself I even recall voting for on this site.

As for the OP, its not to surprising. ANet is pretty heavy on using propaganda to support their game, though its good to note a lot of companies do just that, not just ANet. Its usually best to keep negative talk to a minimum on the forum to help paint a picture of the game being in a great state, something a good majority of game developers do, not just ANet. ANet just happens to be on the poor stingent side of this.

Don't be ridiculous... of course it's a troll poll. There are no restrictions as to who can select in it... I'd be willing to bet a significant portion of people selecting GW2 as "most disappointing" never even played the game. It's completely unscientific in that regards... your polling sample is tainted. That's why I can't/won't bother voting in it... over the past year I've played some STO, some EveOnline, some Minecraft, Skyrim, TF2, NE2 and GW2. All I play atm is GW2 with a little NE2 or Minecraft for gits and shiggles. Not one game has "disappointed" me, even though I don't play them all anymore. Should I make something up and select SWTOR, or TERA maybe, even though I haven't played either of them? No... but many will. 

If the poll could somehow only allow people to only select a game they've actually played, then it would start to resemble something almost significant. But it can't. As such, it's simply a poll for trolling whatever game currently has the most haters posting in MMORPG, and atm that is GW2.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

It is only a troll poll as long as GW2 is leading in as biggest dispapointment of the year. I bet if it was 'best MMO of 2012'  poll and GW2 was leading you would never call it a troll poll.  But i am glad that forums like mmorpg.com exist where players can give their opinions and not get prosecuted for it.

edit; checked your post hsitory. Never mind not worth it.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I doubt all of the GW2 moderators know about this site so I don't have an issue with their stance.

Although, I think GW2 staff have larger issues to worry about than some poll on a website.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

It is only a troll poll as long as GW2 is leading in as biggest dispapointment of the year. I bet if it was 'best MMO of 2012'  poll and GW2 was leading you would never call it a troll poll.  But i am glad that forums like mmorpg.com exist where players can give their opinions and not get prosecuted for it.

edit; checked your post hsitory. Never mind not worth it.

Of course it wouldn't be a troll poll. Positive polls by definition aren't. If it was a poll showing Tera as the greatest combat MMO of all times, that wouldn't be a troll poll either even though I'd personally disagree with it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Don't be ridiculous... of course it's a troll poll. There are no restrictions as to who can select in it... I'd be willing to bet a significant portion of people selecting GW2 as "most disappointing" never even played the game. It's completely unscientific in that regards... your polling sample is tainted. That's why I can't/won't bother voting in it... over the past year I've played some STO, some EveOnline, some Minecraft, Skyrim, TF2, NE2 and GW2. All I play atm is GW2 with a little NE2 or Minecraft for gits and shiggles. Not one game has "disappointed" me, even though I don't play them all anymore. Should I make something up and select SWTOR, or TERA maybe, even though I haven't played either of them? No... but many will. 

If the poll could somehow only allow people to only select a game they've actually played, then it would start to resemble something almost significant. But it can't. As such, it's simply a poll for trolling whatever game currently has the most haters posting in MMORPG, and atm that is GW2.

So... your saying we should discredit polls as well that rate Guildwars 2 as the game of the year cause they can't be considered factual since there are no restrictions on if people played the game or not? Alright, so then Guildwars 2 is NOT game of the year since those polls have no restrictions and anyone can select it. A good majority who voted it are Guildwars 2 players wanting their game to succeed despite not playing the other games. You can't have it one way or another. Thats called BIAS. If Rift was voted most disapointing game (MMO I play primarily) I'd just take it for what it is and wonder what is wrong people are viewing it that way, NOT pool wool over my eyes and call the poll invalid.

Heck, with your logic, does that mean that a good majority of polls anywhere should be considered false under the pretense that not everyone has 'experienced' those options? As such we should remove he polling option from the home page of MMORPG and we should stop any polling done on any game out there as its not going to be true.

So... your saying we should discredit polls as well that rate Guildwars 2 as the game of the year cause they can't be considered factual since there are no restrictions on if people played the game or not? Alright, so then Guildwars 2 is NOT game of the year since those polls have no restrictions and anyone can select it. A good majority who voted it are Guildwars 2 players wanting their game to succeed despite not playing the other games. You can't have it one way or another. Thats called BIAS. If Rift was voted most disapointing game (MMO I play primarily) I'd just take it for what it is and wonder what is wrong people are viewing it that way, NOT pool wool over my eyes and call the poll invalid.

Heck, with your logic, does that mean that a good majority of polls anywhere should be considered false under the pretense that not everyone has 'experienced' those options? As such we should remove he polling option from the home page of MMORPG and we should stop any polling done on any game out there as its not going to be true.

Interesting point, I'll credit you that. However, it's unlikely that someone will randomly annoint a game they've never played as GotY for example... so I'd have to ponder that. Too bad you went and ruined your own logic... A good majority who voted it are Guildwars 2 players wanting their game to succeed despite not playing the other games.  As I'd mentioned, that would qualify as people are voting for a game they've actually played as opposed to voting against one they never have. 

Seriously... how many of those people voting against GW2 do you think actually played it? That alone is my point. You can't be disappointed with something you've never tried, only disappointed with the fact you've never tried it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Interesting point, I'll credit you that. However, it's unlikely that someone will randomly annoint a game they've never played as GotY for example... so I'd have to ponder that. Too bad you went and ruined your own logic... A good majority who voted it are Guildwars 2 players wanting their game to succeed despite not playing the other games.  As I'd mentioned, that would qualify as people are voting for a game they've actually played as opposed to voting against one they never have. 

Seriously... how many of those people voting against GW2 do you think actually played it? That alone is my point. You can't be disappointed with something you've never tried, only disappointed with the fact you've never tried it.

... Alright I'll pull out here. Pretty obvious your going to let bias speak louder then logic to make your point 'true' so to speak, in any fashion able to twist your words to support what you are a fanboi for being the best. Well, glad SWTOR was voted goty a year ago, being such a great recognized game even today by PLAYERS.

None the less I digress. I'm going to go speak to a brick wall since its apparent logic would be far more relevant speaking to the wall then to someone who has demonstraighted extreme bias towards a game. In a way I wish i could demonstraight that much ignorance towards something I enjoyed. It really would make my play experience better in which I can jutify every flaw or mistake a game has and see no wrong with it. I sure would be able to stick with games a lot easier if I had that fanboi type mindset. :)

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    The official forums are for discussing the game only. It's not for discussing threads on other websites. I"m pretty sure it is against the rules to link to other websites, or advertise another websites.
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

You missed the point.

The people who played and liked GW2 may have voted for it to be GOTY without ever playing the other games on that poll.

It's exactly the same thing, except for the mindset (building your own game up vs. tearing the other games down). It could be argued that supporters of a game are in the "positive" mindset, but still vote without sufficient knowledge, whereas voters for the dissappointment poll are in the "negative" mindset, voting without caring about how the game really is.

Both result in useless polls for anything else but gauging general feelings.

... Alright I'll pull out here. Pretty obvious your going to let bias speak louder then logic to make your point 'true' so to speak, in any fashion able to twist your words to support what you are a fanboi for being the best. Well, glad SWTOR was voted goty a year ago, being such a great recognized game even today by PLAYERS.

None the less I digress. I'm going to go speak to a brick wall since its apparent logic would be far more relevant speaking to the wall then to someone who has demonstraighted extreme bias towards a game. In a way I wish i could demonstraight that much ignorance towards something I enjoyed. It really would make my play experience better in which I can jutify every flaw or mistake a game has and see no wrong with it. I sure would be able to stick with games a lot easier if I had that fanboi type mindset. :)

First of all, I'll be the first to admit my bias towards GW2. I play it and l enjoy the kitten out of it. That shouldn't be a secret with anyone here.

Back to the point. I'll use an example based on the poll. 

Let's say the only choices for most disappointing game of the year were GW2, Tera, SWTOR and TSW. Obviously I'm not going to select GW2, that's clear, since I'm not remotely disappointed in it. I've never played Tera, SWTOR nor TSW. My question is this... which of the other three would be a valid pick? Should I select SWTOR? Tera maybe? Realistically, none. I'm not disappointed with any on the list although I'm definitely biased towards GW2. I have no interest in the others, but that's different. 

So, feel free to maintain the personal insults if you wish on my intellectual capacities, biases or the like... words on the web. If you come up with something particularly clever I might even kudo you for it. image I'm just calling it as I see it and doing so as logically as possible.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by dimnikar

You missed the point.

The people who played and liked GW2 may have voted for it to be GOTY without ever playing the other games on that poll.

It's exactly the same thing, except for the mindset (building your own game up vs. tearing the other games down). It could be argued that supporters of a game are in the "positive" mindset, but still vote without sufficient knowledge, whereas voters for the dissappointment poll are in the "negative" mindset, voting without caring about how the game really is.

Both result in useless polls for anything else but gauging general feelings.

No, I see what you're saying, just disagree. I think votes for or against something you've actually taken part of are indeed valid whereas votes for or against something you've never even played are... well, "invalid" is the closest thing I can think of, but not exactly that... more meaningless. It's those meaningless votes that shatter the credibiity of the poll.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

There are already threads discussion GW2 official forum moderation. Making a new one every time there's moderation over there you don't agree with only floods it over here.

So, instead of a new thread, please seek the open thread or two that are talking about gW2 moderation. Like this: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/373655/Official-forums-are-an-utter-nonsense.html

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.