Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is it "Dynamic"? Did I not playing it far enough?

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

To OP: This is why GW2 was so disappointing for most people. If they hadn't overhyped it and oversold its "assets", people would be happy with the decent game it is. But they had to overdo it to sell boxes to then become a deception to the eyes of the customers.

I suppose it worked out for them in selling the boxes, which likely was their goal, not having a subscription fee they don't have the need to retain players. 

A.Net stated exactly what they were going to do - they misstepped in some places (no GvG, no guild halls, etc) but overall it is exactly what they said it would be. Example, they talked about DE's in Oct. 2011 (it is linked in this thread). No where does it state that the WHOLE world would change - just the next chained event would - that is different. I AM DISSAPPOINTED IN A.Net with some of the issues, but overall is it a decent game.

I don't think there is enough computer horsepower to actually have a totally dynamic world - there will always be limitations (as in real life) but currently we really can't have a game like that. Even everyone's precious sandbox games (up and coming) will have limitations. In a single player game, like Skyrim, it is easy to do. When you have thousands of people interacting and doing things to change the world, it just can't happen currently with technology we have. Heck, it takes one supercomputer, months of computations to just model a small part of a biochemical pathway (like 2-3 steps).

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

So I guess games don't run on scripts these days.

If they don't then that's pretty cool not even being sarcastic.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by botrytis

To OP: This is why GW2 was so disappointing for most people. If they hadn't overhyped it and oversold its "assets", people would be happy with the decent game it is. But they had to overdo it to sell boxes to then become a deception to the eyes of the customers.

I suppose it worked out for them in selling the boxes, which likely was their goal, not having a subscription fee they don't have the need to retain players. 

A.Net stated exactly what they were going to do - they misstepped in some places (no GvG, no guild halls, etc) but overall it is exactly what they said it would be. Example, they talked about DE's in Oct. 2011 (it is linked in this thread). No where does it state that the WHOLE world would change - just the next chained event would - that is different. I AM DISSAPPOINTED IN A.Net with some of the issues, but overall is it a decent game.

I don't think there is enough computer horsepower to actually have a totally dynamic world - there will always be limitations (as in real life) but currently we really can't have a game like that. Even everyone's precious sandbox games (up and coming) will have limitations. In a single player game, like Skyrim, it is easy to do. When you have thousands of people interacting and doing things to change the world, it just can't happen currently with technology we have. Heck, it takes one supercomputer, months of computations to just model a small part of a biochemical pathway (like 2-3 steps).

My issue is, I thought that was common sense :(

WHich is why I asked(sort of) in the previous post do games not run on scripts? I mean if not an games could literally be ever changing why don't we have one now? Like I didn't think with the way tech is, that it'd be possible especially in an MMO.

I have been thinking maybe people been playing the dumbass game(Like how is this such and such?) on purpose just so they can bash the game, and I do hope I'm wrong.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by muffins89
    the Cake is a (scripted,  re-occurring) Lie.

tastier cake since wow launched, at least.

I like pie! Sure I guess as long as theres a choice there will always be people who are happy

with scripted re-occuring cake.

Tastier cake then WoW? Well i guess if is a double layer cake is tastier then a single layer cake yeah,

otherwise its still just cake.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

If people knew what words actually meant this kind of situation would be much less common.

Dynamic means "in motion".

The events and the eventsmobs are in motion.

Quests in other games have 2 states - not complete or complete, and the mobs for the quests are generally static mobs in the world.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

GW2 its far from perfection, but introduced a vast of new features for future MMO's to come, so even if people doesn't play it or like it, people must be happy with that, the chances and possibilities to get better and more innovative MMO's are larger.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Scarfe
    Originally posted by tv2zulu
    Originally posted by Baitness
    Originally posted by Trueforral1

I found it surprising that so many were disappointed by the so-called 'dynamic events.' It was evident from the beginning that the only way to achieve the intended dynamics was through running events in a circular fashion, at its most complex where multiple individual circular chains intersect and interact.

That's pretty much all one can hope to achieve without the use of a live game-master fashioning the events in real-time.

A million times this.

I really don't see where the confusion and disappointment is coming from.  What was going to happen (excluding fotm) always seemed to be damned clear to me, not like they were hiding it.

I got exactly what I was expecting with GW2, and I love it.  I just wish there were more events, more skills, and more time for me to play.

The confusion is quite simple, people are naive and in some cases downright stupid; expecting MMO AI to accomplish something that even the most advanced supercomputers in the world can't do.

Only thing you can do is ignore these people, as they jump from one "disappointment" to another.

Why bother?  Just ignore the thread if you don't like it but don't come onto it trolling. 

Trolling? image

He speaks the truth and you know it.

Not necessarily, creating dynamic content isn't tough to do... random level generators have been doing them for years.  The Matrix Online created random quests with different bosses everytime.  Granted most of them were different by name and sometimes location - the rewards and objective were mostly the same though.

Even CoX had random spawns early on in their issue cycle...  you don't need a supercomputer to create more dynamic content then what GW2 offers.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I found it surprising that so many were disappointed by the so-called 'dynamic events.' It was evident from the beginning that the only way to achieve the intended dynamics was through running events in a circular fashion, at its most complex where multiple individual circular chains intersect and interact.

That's pretty much all one can hope to achieve without the use of a live game-master fashioning the events in real-time.

A million times this.

I really don't see where the confusion and disappointment is coming from.  What was going to happen (excluding fotm) always seemed to be damned clear to me, not like they were hiding it.

I got exactly what I was expecting with GW2, and I love it.  I just wish there were more events, more skills, and more time for me to play.

The confusion is quite simple, people are naive and in some cases downright stupid; expecting MMO AI to accomplish something that even the most advanced supercomputers in the world can't do.

Only thing you can do is ignore these people, as they jump from one "disappointment" to another.

Why bother?  Just ignore the thread if you don't like it but don't come onto it trolling. 

Trolling? image

Not necessarily, creating dynamic content isn't tough to do... random level generators have been doing them for years.  The Matrix Online created random quests with different bosses everytime.  Granted most of them were different by name and sometimes location - the rewards and objective were mostly the same though.

Even CoX had random spawns early on in their issue cycle...  you don't need a supercomputer to create more dynamic content then what GW2 offers.

Then it would be called Random Events, not Dynamic Events.

Dynamic is different from random or different.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

A million times this.

Trolling? image

You do realize that Random Number generators are not truly random - it has been proven and explained.

http://www.math.utah.edu/~pa/Random/Random.html

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

If you didn't get past the first zone on your character, you didn't get to see how 'dynamic' DE's can be because the newb zone ones are designed to repeat very quickly and not have a whole lot of variety so that you can 'learn' how they work. Think of Rift's first zones, how it's Rifts re-appear every 30 seconds and are identical with only very simple zone events, these are there to teach you how Rifts work.

Once you get a little higher level, then the DE's can become quite significantly more dynamic, based upon success or failure states largely. There are still plenty of fairly simple DE's but there are hundreds of them can have have pretty dramatic effects on the zone or areas within a zone based upon player actions.

So yes, OP.. in this case.. you probably didn't play far enough into the game.

You mean for a few, most of which already knew they wouldn't like it.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Dynamic does NOT exist in GW2 and in truth its hard for it to exist in any game. Sandbox genre is likely the only type that will give dynamic a chance to really 'take off' if any. GW2 though unfortunately ends up making 'dynamic' feel quite static, in some part I feel due to the fact its way to script heavy in making those events play that it becomes repetative to the point you can easily predict when something will happen, with the outcome never really changing anything noteworthy that you might care about, heck, in cases it plays AGAINST you at times when an event 'finishes' as it mighty end up having mobs for a heart quest not being up in an area since npcs took it over. Even in end game zones preaching 'invasions' it just feels like it falls flat in really accomplishing that 'dynamic' feel to it. Most of the stuff just has little to no effect on anything and ends up feeling far to scripted rather then Dynamic, even in Orr where you had basically zergs running around in a set order to kill stuff.

Gw2 fails to live up to Dynamic, but its not new. There really isn't many games which 'dynamic' is that easy to achieve, or more so the scripting and set up is done just right to make it FEEL dynamic. For that, I think the best thing that can be done is to rely on players which can much easier work outside scripts.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

You do realize that Random Number generators are not truly random - it has been proven and explained.

There's a big difference between needing something to be mathematically random, and random enough for something to be unpredictable, so your point is kind of... pointless.

You make me like charity

Anyway, how many times does this have to be hashed out here?  Yeah, ANET screwed up with the dynamic event stuff.  They said one thing, and we got another.  Lets move on.

You make me like charity

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    They screwed up nothing, great game that is free to play. I get to enjoy rift for traditional questing with some interesting twists, and gw2 for some great exploring based questing.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"You save a village, that village will remain saved!" 

Words that will go down in mmorpg infamy.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    It's just a game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    They screwed up nothing, great game that is free to play. I get to enjoy rift for traditional questing with some interesting twists, and gw2 for some great exploring based questing.

It's not free to play...

You make me like charity

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Each event tells a story, that is how it is dynamic.
    I play it for free I.e no subscription and no need to use the shop, or are we just playing with words here.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by bcbully

How about these words ?

"It's official. Funcom and TSW have the fastest content delivery in the industry.

Well done Funcom."

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Dynamic: marked by usually contiuous and productive activity or change.

GW2 is very dynamic by the layout of each zone, just by following events and map POIs you flow through the game in basically a non-stop action if that is what you want to do. Then add to the fact that EVENTs are continuous activies that change...the events go if you are there are not, thus continuous and many of them CHANGE what the enviorment looks like depending on the event.

Bridge is there if you save it, bridge is blown up if you dont or if no one is there to stop it from happening...bridge wont come back until someone completes the re-building event. THAT is Dynamic.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by bcbully

Forever and ever - the definiton of dynamic.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Scalpless

DEs are a replacement for quests. They were never hyped as continuosly changing in the way you want them to be. The "dynamic" part of their name refers to multiple outcomes, their often world-affecting nature, them changing based on the number of players present and to the ability to start a DE in a random spot of the world (usually in WvW).

DEs work exactly as promised.

agree with you.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

A million times this.

Trolling? image

It depends on how it is programmed which will determine how things "randomize".  In programming a random number between a set of options in its simplest form you would utilize a seed number and it would choose something within a ceiling and a floor number.  

For example, you wouldn't have an infinite number of choices out of every number imaginable,  because that would be way too many options to program.  Instead you could have 4 sets of objectives, with 4 different mob types, in 4 separate locations, and have that run at varying intervals that would allow for overlapping.   Thats not to say that things will be different every single time, and be completely random,  by as far as dynamicism (word) goes,  it would still be a more varied experience.