Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowd funding

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

The Escapist: Code Hero Kickstarter Goes Bad

GiantBomb: Code Hero Dev Takes the Money and Runs

codehero

-

Sounds more like it's hit trouble than already fled to the caymans; but still: Shady. Popcorn on special offer today...

Massively: 2012: The year of the MMO Kickstarter

MassivelyKickstarterMMO

Kickstarter is perhaps the biggest story in the world of gaming since the birth of the home video console or the integration of online components into consumer entertainment. No new product, innovation, or invention has carried with it such immense potential for shifting the way the industry plans, builds, and delivers its products. And with projects covering everything from hardware to companion apps, it's almost impossible now to imagine a gaming world without Kickstarter, even though it was our reality just a few short months ago.

The legacy of Kickstarter is one that we're witnessing in real-time. Most of the major successful projects are slated for late 2013/early 2014 releases, giving us plenty of time to speculate on what may or may not go wrong with the crowd-funding model and the products it bears. Over the next year, games will either make it to market or they won't. Developers will squander their budgets or release on time. It's all up in the air.

With that in mind, we thought now would be a good time to look back on some of the biggest MMO Kickstarter projects of 2012. The fate of some of these titles is inexorably tied to the fate of Kickstarter as a viable game-creating platform -- and maybe even crowd-sourcing as a whole.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DarthRichardson

I recommend Indie-Go-Go because you get to keep your earnings whether you reach the goal or not. That's pretty sweet. I can design a kick-ass presentation package complete with business plan, executive summary and private placement memorandum if you really want to juice your crowdfunding potential.

DM me for more info on crowdfunding options. I would be excited to help promote ambitious up-and-coming devs out there!

"earnings" he says.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

This is what scares me about Kickstarters:

Fully Funded Kickstarter Game Goes Belly Up

The Escapist: Kickstopper 

Veronica Mars

But, okay. The spectacle of one of the most powerful multimedia conglomerates in the history of planet Earth latching onto a service originally designed to help the kind of projects that their entire infrastructure exists to say "No!" to as a way to say "Oh, you guys like Veronica Mars? Prove it!" rubs me the wrong way and feels inappropriate. But it's not unethical or wrong.

Cont'd...

Gamasutra: Opinion: Why I won't be backing Kickstarters anymore

Gamasutra: The Problem with Kickstarter. And a Proposed Solution.

"2013 will be the dawn of Kickstarter buyer's remorse -- a twinge I've already felt just this week."

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

another article about the Veronica Mars kickstarter

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/03/kickstarter-kind-of-annoying-isnt-it/63060/

I feel the same way about this as I do about Camelot Unchained.  This is something that could have been made without crowd funding.

Gamasutra: This railroad sim may point to the future of game crowdfunding

But what about getting actual money back from your investment? You know, like a real investor.

That model is known as equity crowdfunding, and it received a big score today in video games when Swiss developer Urban Game Studios' railroad business simulator Train Fever hit its 250,000 euro ($323,000) goal on equity crowdfunding site Gambitious.

• wheresmymomwheresmymom Member Posts: 5

Been working on our KickStarter & IndieGogo campaign for a couple of weeks now as a part of our game development campaign.

Almost everything is already prepared, We are ready & approved in IndieGogo, but in kickstarter we haven't submitted our campaign yet coz we are finalizing our video. Our project is 3rd Person View Online Game, which has a new twist. You may check our FB page, Twitter and site.

https://twitter.com/SEDAInteractive

http://www.facebook.com/SEDAInteractive

http://www.sedainteractive.com

We are looking for more supporters before we launch our campaign, hope you guys would support us.

I might post new thread for our campaign, i hope mods will not mind it though is game related.

Cheers lads,

:)

• wheresmymomwheresmymom Member Posts: 5

Check it out

:)

more details on the site & social pages

• doomingdooming Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by outfctrl

This is what scares me about Kickstarters:

Fully Funded Kickstarter Game Goes Belly Up

After reading that my guess is the guy running the company was probably a jacka$$. 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

im go back on forth with how i feel about CF.  i like the idea of people being able to create something they are passionate about.  but,  i wonder why they end up on a site essentailly begging for money to begin with.

take MJ and CU for example.  the guy has his own money for one.  he has also worked in the industry for (i dont know how long) a long time.  he couldn't find any private investor(s) to give him a few million dollars?  especially with mmo sales going how they recently have.  gw2 just sold 3 mil copies in a few months.  if MJ sells 500k at say $40,  the investor would have his money back.  it's just a red flag for me.  why is a somewhat proven guy the industry resorting to asking for CF?  especially when he has his own money.

so i like the idea,  but it's suspicious to me as to why some people/companies resort to CF.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Overall I like the idea of Kickstarting but I don't much care for rich people asking for handouts for their project.  It's a "no risk-all the rewards" for that select crowd.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• jibjellyjibjelly Member Posts: 3

I know what you mean.

I seen something posted by the girl who played sabrina. Those actors just need to learn how to save and invest the money the earnt during there time on tv. Not come back asking for money.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

A critical perspective on the gaming community. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1319761157/gtfo

What do you say about it?

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • VymmVymm Member Posts: 112

Crowd funding is one of the many ways to create a non-AAA MMORPGs in today's market.  It allows smaller companies to flush out ideas, push the limits and challenge the norm.  Regardless of the outcomes it will change the face of MMORPGing for better or worse.  I cannot wait to see what some basement MMORPG creator comes up with in the next generation .... look at minecraft.  I know minecraft was not a crowd funded game but just imagine the potential of others manufacturers to create something dynamic given it's success with such an incredibly low starting budget.

Vymm

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108

It's another tool./option for talented developers out there to realize their ambitions. Used right. It can be a great way to get a community involved in a games development from the start. And a way for awesome games to be made that might not have been realized otherwise. 

Used wrong of course. Like in the instances linked in earlier posts. People can abuse it and run off with the money. But that said i think crowd funding brings more potential good than bad. You should be choosy in what projects you fund. 

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    A excellent idea for the right titles. Not everyone will be able to get away with this though.

Double Fine splits Broken Agein half to fund completion

Hello, Backers of Adventure!

Those of you who have been following along in the documentary know about the design vs. money tension we've had on this project since the early days. Even though we received much more money from our Kickstarter than we, or anybody anticipated, that didn't stop me from getting excited and designing a game so big that it would need even more money.

I think I just have an idea in my head about how big an adventure game should be, so it's hard for me to design one that’s much smaller than Grim Fandango or Full Throttle. There's just a certain amount of scope needed to create a complex puzzle space and to develop a real story. At least with my brain, there is.

So we have been looking for ways to improve our project's efficiency while reducing scope where we could along the way. All while looking for additional funds from bundle revenue, ports, etc. But when we finished the final in-depth schedule recently it was clear that these opportunistic methods weren't going to be enough.

We looked into what it would take to finish just first half of our game -- Act 1. And the numbers showed it coming in July of next year. Not this July, but July 2014. For just the first half. The full game was looking like 2015! My jaw hit the floor.

This was a huge wake-up call for all of us. If this were true, we weren't going to have to cut the game in half, we were going to have to cut it down by 75%! What would be left? How would we even cut it down that far? Just polish up the rooms we had and ship those? Reboot the art style with a dramatically simpler look? Remove the Boy or Girl from the story? Yikes! Sad faces all around.

Would we, instead, try to find more money? You guys have been been very generous in the tip jar (thanks!) but this is a larger sum of money we were talking about. Asking a publisher for the money was out of the question because it would violate the spirit of the Kickstarter, and also, publishers. Going back to Kickstarter for it seemed wrong. Clearly, any overages were going to have to be paid by Double Fine, with our own money from the sales of our other games. That actually makes a lot of sense and we feel good about it. We have been making more money since we began self-publishing our games, but unfortunately it still would not be enough.

Then we had a strange idea. What if we made some modest cuts in order to finish the first half of the game by January instead of July, and then released that finished, polished half of the game on Steam Early Access? Backers would still have the option of not looking at it, of course, but those who were sick of waiting wouldn't have to wait any more. They could play the first half of the game in January!

We were always planning to release the beta on Steam, but in addition to that we now have Steam Early Access, which is a new opportunity that actually lets you charge money for pre-release content. That means we could actually sell this early access version of the game to the public at large, and use that money to fund the remaining game development. The second part of the game would come in a free update a few months down the road, closer to April-May.

So, everybody gets to play the game sooner, and we don’t have to cut the game down drastically. Backers still get the whole game this way—nobody has to pay again for the second half.

And whatever date we start selling the early release, backers still have exclusive beta access before that, as promised in the Kickstarter.

I want to point out that Broken Age's schedule changes have nothing to do with the team working slowly. They have been kicking ass and the game looks, plays, and sounds amazing. It's just taking a while because I designed too much game, as I pretty much always do. But we're pulling it in, and the good news is that the game's design is now 100% done, so most of the unknowns are now gone and it’s not going to get any bigger.

With this shipping solution I think we're balancing the size of the game and the realities of funding it pretty well. We are still working out the details and exact dates, but we'd love to hear your thoughts. This project has always been something we go through together and the ultimate solution needs to be something we all feel good about.

In the meantime, I'm hoping you are enjoying the documentary and like the progress you're seeing on Broken Age. I'm really exciting about how it's coming together, I can't wait for you to see more of it, and I feel good about finally having a solid plan on how to ship it!

Thanks for reading,

Tim

Genre is right for Kickstarter. The extra money from what was asked seems to have been a problem. Also no prototype is not good for kickstarter and budget is key for kickstarter - for future trust.

Not great.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Lence

Whats your opinion on crowd funding at the moment? It's nice to see old-school devs or people with brilliant ideas get funded directly by fans. no more money to publishers, taxes etc.. but 100% goes to developers. I'm pretty sure big publishers are afraid of this.

I don't feel publishers are afraid of this new trend.  I do think that crowd funding in general is a great idea and it's helping more people get their products out.

A lot of innovation comes from indie devs, so this will only help propel the industry forward.  Big AAA titles can't "experiment" too much, because the projects cost way too much to fail.  Indie devs back by crowd funding have a lot less overhead to worry about and more freedom to try new things.  When those things turn out to be a hit, AAA developers and publishers can take those ideas and adopt them into AAA games.  

Publishers perform more tasks than just funding though.  They're an important pillar in the video game industry, especially for big projects.  They have nothing to fear from crowd funding really.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Q&A: Catching up with Kickstarter

Here, Kickstarter's head of community Cindy Au answers our burning questions, while also divulging general tips for those developers looking to get a Kickstarter underway at some point in the future.

Q: There's a frequently-repeated sentiment of "Kickstarter fatigue," of communities and consumers getting tired of and backing off from funding Kickstarter game projects. From the data end of things, what are you seeing? Are numbers going down?

A: Actually, the numbers are going up. In 2012, we saw $84.5 million pledged to game projects. As of August 1st, 2013, $64.7 million have already been pledged to game projects. Of the Kickstarter users who have backed a game project, 39 percent have gone on to back another game. It's a very healthy category with a great community of backers.

What are the hidden costs that developers need to take into consideration when pursuing a Kickstarter? Taxes, for instance.

[...]

• handofendowmenthandofendowment Member Posts: 3

I think some of the crowd funded games look great, but I'm not sure how realistic the actual development of the game will be or how long the game will actually take. I've pledge a couple times for different games and I'm still waiting for the digital downloads. I think some projects have too high goals. Take for instance. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playnery/mother-of-myth-phenomenal-multi-platform-action-rp?ref=live .

photo 5d6e0822e771fbea80b5061fce880cb7_large1.jpg

It looks like a pretty good game, but what's the probability of it actually coming out? Is it just a 3D model rending or is it the actual game? Sometimes I feel hyped up, but then projects fail. I do like how the actual creators take input from the backers though. Some interesting ideas do get funded, but I agree with everyone else that the delivery is lacking.

Think Before You Stretch

Over time we’ve seen a growing number of creators adding “stretch goals” — unofficial targets beyond a project's funding goal, with promises of new rewards or other incentives if they are reached. Stretch goals are seen as a way to keep pledges coming in after a project’s funding goal has been reached. But are stretch goals a good idea?

All-or-nothing funding is simple and clear: a project has a single goal, and backers support the project in its pursuit of that goal. Stretch goals muddy the waters. What if someone got in early and helped a project reach its funding goal, but now the creator is focused on stretch goals? What if someone backs a project for a stretch goal-related reward, and that goal isn’t met? Both are bad experiences for backers.

For a typical stretch goal a creator will promise to release their game in additional formats or add extra functions if certain funding goals are hit. But expanding a project’s scope can change the creative vision and put the whole project at risk. We’ve seen stretch goals leave some projects overwhelmed, over-budget, and behind schedule.

Kickstarter: 'Stretch goals muddy the waters'

One of the comments is key imo: More crowd-sourcing and less crowd-funding (aka stretch goals) would even the balance up. Atm the promises of infinite free riches to made via stretch-goals = greed = loss of goodwill in crowdfuning trend.

• Reiken_BirgeReiken_Birge Member UncommonPosts: 59

I really like the idea of crowd funding. Mainly because it gives developers the chance to get their vision and their game out where a publisher would most likely corrupt their idea beyond recognition, if not gut it and turn it into a shell of its former self.

There are dangers with this, of course. But really there is risk with any investment. It's naive to go and support a kickstarter under the assumption that all will go well and that there is absolutely no chance for something to go horribly wrong and the project to be canned.

Passionate as the people behind these projects are, they are still human and any number of things could happen to prevent the completion or release of a game.

But what can you do? If you find a project that you feel is worth supporting, go for it! Give your money or spread word about the project if not both. Then hope that it comes to fruition and you can actually get your hands on it. If it doesn't work out.. Well, you should know the risk before you make any investment and consider it when trying to figure out how much, if at all, you will contribute to the cause.

Kingdom of Knights - Community Manager

• dnadestinyxdnadestinyx Member Posts: 22

It's an excellent way for talented individuals to create a game without being part of some major rich companies. I think a lot of good can come out of it.

Minecraft is definitely an example that comes to mind.  So much fun from that game!