Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ANet does full refunds for players who was banned in the 'snowflake' bug

jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Full-refund-for-snowflake-exploiters/

I didn't really consider this one to be an 'exploit' (you were essentially converting mithrils to Ectos), but ANet thought it was and perma. banned players.

To ANet's credit, they are now issuing a full refund if you were perma. banned.

Interesting and surprising but good on ya, ANet. image

Gdemami -
Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    That was jolly decent of them.
    Chamber of Chains
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

You mean I could get a refund for this POS if I actually logged in and exploited?

How, where, when??

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Well, I'm sure that they got a lot more blowback than they had expected (probably expected none at all).  Probably figured that it was easier to try to placate those that were affected in hopes of quieting things down, and moving on.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Don't know about this exploit but what's behind the scenes during the events just sucks.

A friend of me caught a bot in the event jumping puzzle. At first I thought he was just mistaken so I checked it out myself - and surely enough that bot would instantly teleport to the chest room of the puzzle.

He told me when the puzzle run would start, while I was waiting in the chest room and  she arrived within 5 seconds each time.

Harbinger of Fools
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by greenreen

Well, there goes my thought that they were issuing bans in part to retaliate for not using the cash shop.

http://i.imgur.com/j7kqX.jpg

I count $755 spent on gems.

Wait, I must figure out what this could have been in sub fees as a timeline.

755/15=50.33..

Holy blankenfranks, that's 4 years of sub they could have had.

What exactly are we supposed to be looking at here?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Well hell, if they're giving out refunds to cheaters, then they need to give me a reefund since I can't get teh damn game to run stable on my PC.  Keeps giving me black screen freezes, CTDs and the worst shutting down my MB, forcing me to manually reset it to get my PC to reboot.

Broken game, can't play, give me my money back!

Originally posted by Khrymson

Well hell, if they're giving out refunds to cheaters, then they need to give me a reefund since I can't get teh damn game to run stable on my PC.  Keeps giving me black screen freezes, CTDs and the worst shutting down my MB, forcing me to manually reset it to get my PC to reboot.

Helpful hint: It's not the game that's broken.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

Then why do tons of other players report the same issues...its not just my PC!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

At least they did not get their accounts back...

Still very weird practiss and it sets a dangerous rule of thumb.. Find a exploit... Abuse the living shit out of it. Send the proceeds to your main account... exploit account get banned, demand refund and point back to this incident. If you still get a no go to the BBB or similar and file a complaint.

This have been a good conversation

Just took a peek in the bug forums... don't see any. You may want to consider posting there, including your PC specs.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Because idiocy is part of the human condition?

Of course even if 1000 players report that problem and post on the forums 1000/2000000 = 0.05%

Clearly seems like a failing component (PSU being the first suspect) or an overclock going unstable

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by tawess

Still very weird practiss and it sets a dangerous rule of thumb.. Find a exploit... Abuse the living shit out of it. Send the proceeds to your main account... exploit account get banned, demand refund and point back to this incident. If you still get a no go to the BBB or similar and file a complaint.

There is a good chance they will ban not only 1 account but all the accounts for the same locators.

Anet policy seems to be quite straightforward:

- We don't want unhappy players;

- We don't cheaters, exploiters, greedy people that will hurt the community for their own profit by abusing Anet oversights.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Of course even if 1000 players report that problem and post on the forums 1000/2000000 = 0.05%

Clearly seems like a failing component (PSU being the first suspect) or an overclock going unstable

Yeah, of course, my PC and or its components are failing, yet it runs every single other game in existance beautifully except GW2...le sigh  Doesn't matter though, planning to stop by my bank today and request a charge back.  ANet won't reply to my tech emails, so fuck em....  

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

So they give them a full refund so they can come back and rage-"hack" without really loosing any money.

Not sure that is a good idea as it does set a (tries to think of the word) precedence?? it can be used as a guideline in the future by people who get banned.

All in all it seems to be the week of "be nice to exploiters" as funcom did something similar to the people who exploited the bug in the end of time event.

This have been a good conversation

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

More than likely it is an issue with YOUR PC not the game. Heck I had running on various PC's even one with a Pentium Dual core with a Radeon 5770. You need to do some work on your PC, as it sounds like it is you not the game.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Yeah, of course, my PC and or its components are failing, yet it runs every single other game in existance beautifully except GW2...le sigh  Doesn't matter though, planning to stop by my bank today and request a charge back.  ANet won't reply to my tech emails, so fuck em....  

If you know your PC is the problem - then it is not them - they are not responsible for your PC - fix the thing and it will work. THey can't know everything with all the hardware out there - it could be somthing as simple as a bad video card driver.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

The thread is full of it until proven otherwise. No one has been refunded that was banned. Provide proof and then we will talk. "Hearing of reports" is not exactly proof of this. This is just one guy photoshopping his paypal account.

People will say or do anything to prove that they were right about getting banned and that they should not have been. Desperation drives people to do silly stuff. 

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

I find your lack of grammar and understanding of the issue disturbing.

So they give them a full refund so they can come back and rage-"hack" without really loosing any money.

Not sure that is a good idea as it does set a (tries to think of the word) precedence?? it can be used as a guideline in the future by people who get banned.

All in all it seems to be the week of "be nice to exploiters" as funcom did something similar to the people who exploited the bug in the end of time event.

To be fair, Funcom doesnt have the goodwill built up, and isnt the current industry darling.  They have to tread abit more carefully with throwing out permanent bans.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

This is probably the most stable mmo I've ever played.  I don't recall this game ever crashing.  Playing it with very high to max settings usually.

So if they get a refund can they buy and play the game again or are they IP blocked from now one?

Originally posted by Terranah

So if they get a refund can they buy and play the game again or are they IP blocked from now one?

They can just buy a new one.  One person I know that got banned, still plays on an alt account.  He got ~$300 in gem purchases back too.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Derros

They can just buy a new one.  One person I know that got banned, still plays on an alt account.  He got ~$300 in gem purchases back too.

This, they won't be able to apply the new code to their old account though, so they'll effectively have to start over.

This is probably the most stable mmo I've ever played.  I don't recall this game ever crashing.  Playing it with very high to max settings usually.

I think both the IP and Email are blocked - at least that is what they did in GW1.