Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: F2P 'Subscription-Free' Option Added

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Looks promising for Tera, however, unless they add housing and support for a RP community, I won't be wasting my time. Playing eye-candy pvp-centric games with no longevity are last century. 
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Ok!

Its free in Europe too!

• AchroAchro Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Looks promising for Tera, however, unless they add housing and support for a RP community, I won't be wasting my time. Playing eye-candy pvp-centric games with no longevity are last century. 

What? This game is not PVP centric, it favors PVE by far.

It's just the false PVP advertising they keep using that might be misleading.

The PVP features are horrible, and people looking to PVP should look at another game.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

They just announced it's going free in the EU also and the model looks not bad at all!

http://tera-europe.com/tera-club.html

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Now that sounds like a pretty good f2p model.  Glad I bought the game a while back.  It's not really about money though, it's about time and enjoyment.  I'll definitely be taking a look going forward though.
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I like free.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by simmihi
    I wonder if me as an European could join the NA version of the game (i'd even buy the box if possible). For sure the EU version will go F2P and, as Gameforge will be handling it, then it's a "no thank you" for me.

oh god really..? Poor TERA :(

Did the devs not even look at the pigs ear they ahve made of Aion in the EU? Gameforge must put in stupidly cheap tenders to get these games tbh...

Of course that would go a long way to explaining how they then choose to invest in the games going forward once they have them.

• TickleMeHomoTickleMeHomo Member Posts: 28
    Yes
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Terranah
    It's not really about money though, it's about time and enjoyment.  

yup, I wouldnt play TERA if they paid me the 15 a month instead of vice versa.  I think its the worst AAA MMORPG released in the history of the genre, because outside of the combat (which isnt even that good and ends up just as repetitive as most games) and graphics (in an artstyle that isnt appealing to me) it does nothing even close to average. 

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by blackhawkzz
    And yet WoW still survives.

If I had pumped 8 years worth of sub into WOW I think I'd stil play. They started first, they have people invested.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I will install and play from time to time with it being free.

Action combat + Trinity is a fun combo, just wasn't fun enough to warrant paying for lol.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I'm surprised.  After TSW I expected box to play for TERA.

no way. TERA has beem 5 dollars forever. no box price would help even if they dropped the sub.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Action combat + Trinity is a fun combo, just wasn't fun enough to warrant paying for lol.

Worth your time but not your dollar? 0.o

People constantly saying this just amazes me.... I honestly cannot think of anything that I genuinely  enjoy that I wouldn't spend £2.50/ week on to do. Hell, I go hiking and that even costs me more then that across the day...

If I didn't enjoy something enough to find it worth spending a minimal amount on I would probably be playing something else that I actually did get a kick out of.

Why are people that don't enjoy what they are doing actually playing these games? And if they *do* genuinely enjoy them.. why don't they think that enjoyment is 'worth' such a tiny amount of money?

Confuses me.

My time is more valuable to me then £2.50/wk... I would be more worried about wasting that than that tiny amount of money.

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105
    A lot of us knew this was coming but the benefits for being an elite member is pretty pathetic and not worth paying at all.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by coxyroxy
    Originally posted by blackhawkzz
    And yet WoW still survives.

If I had pumped 8 years worth of sub into WOW I think I'd stil play. They started first, they have people invested.

They started what first?

Or is this a variation on the "WoW was the first MMO" troll attempt?

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Alman i just deleted tera, lol he said not taking away hotbars, yeah we looking at u bioware.
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

another game struck by the curse of those famous last words.

"we're not going free to play any time soon."

always within 8 weeks of saying it they announce F2P.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    Originally posted by Rthuth434

another game struck by the curse of those famous last words.

"we're not going free to play any time soon."

always within 8 weeks of saying it they announce F2P.

Actually it wasn't even 8 weeks, the posted on Christmas day Dec.25th that Tera wouldn't be going Free anytime soon..lol

So yea 2 1/2 weeks later they go FTP..lol

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Yeah there are alot of games coming out this year, 3 games im looking forward too the most i hope they make it this year is B&S,Phanasty star online 2, archage.
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

well fuck me... I dont have time to play!

Already play TSW, Planetside 2, SWTOR

STOP WITH THE FREE MMO's!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Vesavius

People constantly saying this just amazes me.... I honestly cannot think of anything that I genuinely  enjoy that I wouldn't spend £2.50/ week on to do. Hell, I go hiking and that even costs me more then that across the day...

If I didn't enjoy something enough to find it worth spending a minimal amount on I would probably be playing something else that I actually did get a kick out of.

Why are people that don't enjoy what they are doing actually playing these games? And if they *do* genuinely enjoy them.. why don't they think that enjoyment is 'worth' such a tiny amount of money?

Confuses me.

My time is more valuable to me then £2.50/wk... I would be more worried about wasting that than that tiny amount of money.

I suffer from what many other MMO gamers seem to suffer from - if I'm paying 15$ a month for a game I feel like I need to play it many hours per week in order to feel like I'm not wasting money.

I will only play for many hours per week if the game is enjoyable and fun.

TERA was enjoyable and fun, but not THAT enjoyable and fun where I'd want to play it any more than probably a few hours a week.

At that level, the 15$ month package is less and less appealing.

I'm currently paying for EvE - which is fun in a different kind of way.

I like the idea of having a game like TERA on the side to play for my Fantasy/Action fix.

I really like the idea of being able to get that fix for a couple of hours a week without paying 15$ a month.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Tera is a good game. It could have been AMAZING, but they went the theme-park route. I might play again once it's free, just because the combat is simply fantastic.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Looks like I just found what Ill be playing when I get bored of AoW.
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Confuses me.

I suffer from what many other MMO gamers seem to suffer from - if I'm paying 15$ a month for a game I feel like I need to play it many hours per week in order to feel like I'm not wasting money.

I will only play for many hours per week if the game is enjoyable and fun.

TERA was enjoyable and fun, but not THAT enjoyable and fun where I'd want to play it any more than probably a few hours a week.

At that level, the 15$ month package is less and less appealing.

I'm currently paying for EvE - which is fun in a different kind of way.

I like the idea of having a game like TERA on the side to play for my Fantasy/Action fix.

I really like the idea of being able to get that fix for a couple of hours a week without paying 15$ a month.

So you want to play TERA for, what then, two hours a week?

While I don't question your right to play as little as you wish, you are a perfect example as to why F2P is a fragile house of cards.

I honestly do not think these devs have a clue about the non committed super casual transient culture thye are creating with the cash shop model, nor why that such a thing is a terrible thing for this genre in the mid to long run.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Smart move EnMasse. Also the "restriction" chart is the best one around, i hope Swtor learns from this chart. Cant wait to see the Terminus mount.